• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The Danganronpa dubs are great overall, there's only a few characters I don't like the voice of. Unfortunately, one of those is the first game's protagonist but I might be in the minority on that one lol.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of super fun stuff there, all pretty different in terms of style so you won't burn out either.

You'll definitely want to do Dangan dubbed for the trials. Good quality dubs anyway.
I almost picked up the Death Mark series, but this should last me a few months haha. Not making the same mistake with Dangan as I did with Zero Escape, where I pick up the combo pack but not the conclusion when it's on sale.

Ahhh, I was reading something about trials being overwhelming in JP.
Some of the English voices I'm not a fan of, but most of them I fucking love. You're fine either way to be honest. I like the first game more in Japanese, but the other 2 i definitely prefer the dub. But the dub is perfectly fine in the first game as well. I wish I could pick and choose each voice separately lol.
English it is! Just wanted to make sure no one ruined it with a performance

Oct 25, 2017
I almost picked up the Death Mark series, but this should last me a few months haha. Not making the same mistake with Dangan as I did with Zero Escape, where I pick up the combo pack but not the conclusion when it's on sale.

Ahhh, I was reading something about trials being overwhelming in JP.

English it is! Just wanted to make sure no one ruined it with a performance
Nah, nothing is ruined in English, but I agree with the poster above that doesn't care for the protagonist voice in the first game. But there are plenty others that makes up for it.

Edit: oh and yes I forgot that one of the members here did voice work for the dub, and it's one of the best characters. Glad that was pointed out, because it slipped my mind.

Death Mark was good too, but I'd still put other VN's before it. I'm working my way through the sequel at the moment, but I'm just not feeling it as much. Hopefully I enjoy it more, but I doubt it.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
So which is better for the 3 dangan games, dub or sub?
I'll go against the grain and say sub, the English voices felt super flat and lifeless for me, given how crazy Danganronpa can get the Japanese voices convey that far better (specifically relating to a character in DR1 that is spoilers to mention), that goes for DR2 too (Nagito and Chiaki's JP voices are mandatory). Monokuma's JP performance is English Zero III tier, it's unbeatable. I will always play with English dub when I feel it's of a good quality (like Persona 4, VLR, Nier, some Ghibli movies, Madoka etc.) so I'm not a sub or bust person, but I felt the DR voices were simply mediocre.

Not sure why people are saying you need the game dubbed for the trials, the voices have nothing to do with it, you're reading text throughout.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go against the grain and say sub, the English voices felt super flat and lifeless for me, given how crazy Danganronpa can get the Japanese voices convey that far better (specifically relating to a character in DR1 that is spoilers to mention), that goes for DR2 too (Nagito and Chiaki's JP voices are mandatory). Monokuma's JP performance is English Zero III tier, it's unbeatable. I will always play with English dub when I feel it's of a good quality (like Persona 4, VLR, Nier, some Ghibli movies, Madoka etc.) so I'm not a sub or bust person, but I felt the DR voices were simply mediocre.

Not sure why people are saying you need the game dubbed for the trials, the voices have nothing to do with it, you're reading text throughout.
Maybe because the text goes fast sometimes? I dunno. I think it's fine, but I'm a fast reader.

And yeah I agree that some of the English voices fall flat, but some are so freaking good to me. That's why I was saying I wish I could just mix. Like I can't imagine a world without Celestia, Nekomaru, Gundham, Miu, Tenko and Kokichi in English.

Either way, I think you can't go wrong. Mostly quality all around.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ironically I'm generally a sub over dub guy, but dammit, LISTEN TO MY BYAKUYA

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Taking advantage of the thread : I own VLR and ZTD on Vita.
But since 999 came after VLR I never played it.
Always waited for it to came as a stand-alone title for Vita, since I'm not willing to buy the bundle, but it never happened.
Can I play them without playing 999?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always waited for it to came as a stand-alone title for Vita, since I'm not willing to buy the bundle, but it never happened.
I'd highly recommend against it but you can.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I'll miss too much of the story ?
Thinking about looking for a recap in YT if this is the case.

VLR spoils some big plot points for 999 and you'll also not recognize some of the characters from 999 if you haven't played it before, which I assume might lessen the impact of some scenes by A LOT.
Most people still enjoyed the game even if they missed this context, but if you can, just play 999 before them. Or watch a full playthrough, a summary will really not get across what a wild, wild ride 999 is.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
You can do anything you want, but I'm telling you, you won't want to skip playing 999. It's amazing.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
The nonary games is on sale for $12 right now, well worth the price of 999.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll miss too much of the story ?
Thinking about looking for a recap in YT if this is the case.

You can do that but... It's a really long story and you won't get the same attachment to some events in VLR if you do that.

It's like asking if you can start lord of the rings from the two towers; you can, but you'll be getting a worse experience than you would otherwise.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
You can, but it is like watching Back to the Future 2 and 3 and skipping the original. Also, if possible play the DS version of 999 - no I can't say why because it is mega endgame spoilers, but the experience is something that cannot be fully replicated without two screens.