• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
lKb72t4.png

I think it's likely that this, out of all the controllers released in history. Is one of the most innovative designs ever made.

To understand how, we should start by going back to it's initial announcement

Originally revealed alongside Steam OS and the Steam Machines back in 2013. The original design is fairly awkward. moving the buttons haphazardly around the trackpads, including a touch screen, and even three strange line shaped buttons. These versions were actually sent out for testing to a select group of 300 Steam users the same year.
controller.jpg

Earlier prototypes used trackballs, before they eventually settled on the pads.
2022180574.jpg

Though thankfully, Valve would eventually settle on the current design up there on March 2015. Also committing an act of Valve Time by delaying the controllers from their initial 2014 release date to 2015 instead.

So how do they improve on other controllers?

Just by turning the controller on the first time, you realize how useful this tech actually is. It starts by functioning as a surprisingly functional mouse and keyboard replacement. The right pad moves the mouse, the left pad scrolls by gently drawing a circle around it, The triggers function as the left and right mouse buttons with the middle mouse button being handled by clicking the left pad, and most importantly, clicking the stick actually opens a proper keyboard that you "type" on by using the pads and triggers.
V3jJNmI.gif

Not really the sort of thing a standard game console would need. But if you're making a Home Theater PC (Which is the intended purpose. It was announced with the Steam Machines after all.) it's highly useful. and is a good demonstration of how it can be used to play PC games that aren't normally designed for controllers.

and that's not even getting into playing actual games with it.

First off, there's the buttons on the back. That is rather uniquely built around the battery cover, the edges of it can be "clicked". Functioning as two extra buttons. I believe they function as shortcuts to the "A" and "X" buttons by default. But they can be remapped to anything. as we'll get into in a second.
This proved good enough that we're already seeing other controller makers utilize it. With the Xbox One Elite controller, released the same year. featuring it's own set of four "paddles".
0nXl24s.png

Then there's the haptic pads again, by default the left one functions as a makeshift D-Pad, while the right is the right analogue stick. But when games are actually optimized for it. that's when things get really good.

The obvious example here would be Portal 2. The right pad is still used for aiming, but since it can actually make proper use of the pad instead of pretending to be a stick by default. It's super smooth. and makes me wonder if we'll start seeing the PS5 and Scarlet have at least a right trackpad instead of a stick from now on. Because it feels a lot better to use than the usual right stick when used for aiming.

and even if the game isn't designed to use the controller (or any controller at all), you can make a custom layout for it. It's not as impressive now, considering that most of the current controllers out there are compatible with Steam nowadays and support the same feature. But back when the Steam Controller launched. It was a pretty big deal.

For an example, i used a LEGO game to test out the controller, and downloaded a custom binding someone else made. Which
  • Fixed the camera so you only have to touch and hold on the right pad to move it in a specific direction.
  • made the Left Pad repeatedly tap in the direction you pressed on for speeding up menu movements. With hilarious results when used outside of menus.
FWOwTzg.gif

It's a very basic set of changes, but it certainly is a decent demonstration of what it can do.

and this isn't even getting into the minor additions, like haptic feedback (Which is currently being done on the Nintendo Switch.) or the gyro controls (Predates the Steam Controller, with the Sixaxis being a pretty notable early example.) The only real flaw i can think of is the fact it has no proper D-Pad, which isn't too bad considering you can easily swap to a more "traditional" controller when needed thanks to Steam's high level of support for all controllers.

In short, i think this controller was ahead of it's time back when it launched in 2015, and will become a major source of inspiration for whatever controllers are made during the Ninth Generation of game consoles.

Oct 27, 2017
I like mine....but also hate it. Because it doesn't work on most emulators well. it really only gets support from Steam itself.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Most people , including myself , never ended up liking it. It unfortunately never felt intuitive enough to just pick it up and play.

I don't doubt if one calibrated it for everything and grew accustomed to it's strengths it'd be a great controller. Sadly, the majority wouldn't take the time to do so.

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
It's great, but not for everything. Love the programmable aspect and the right track pad, but have never fully enjoyed using the left trackpad because it feels unpleasant to click. Ditto with the shoulder buttons. Triggers are good, though. I usually just use my xb1 pad instead, but on the odd single-player fps or mmo-type game where I just want to kick back I'm glad I have it. A revision with better-feeling shoulder buttons and a hybrid trackpad that feels like a clickable d-pad would be bought so fast.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still regularly use my Steam Controller in 2019, and it's frequently my go-to device for playing many games ranging from MMOs, to strategy games, to loot based RPGs and more.

You can just do so much with this controller. It's incredible. But most people will never see it's full potential because the defaults for a lot of games suck.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean it works bad on them when launching emulators from Steam and configuring it from there? Or just about native support in emulators themselves?
native support. i've never added an emulator to steam. guess i can try that. but one time i tried using it with an n64 emulator and it wouldn't register the analog stick or the buttons. haven't tried it since, really. need to use it again.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's a cool modular gamepad, but there's not really any games designed with it in mind, and attempts to use it to approximate the functions of gamepads leads to some awkward results.

Kudos to Valve for taking the plunge, but I'm pretty much convinced that the future lies in gamepads like the XB1 Elite controller, with its trigger stops, remappable rear paddles and face buttons, and a multitude of analog stick and trigger response curve tweaks. That gamepad is designed to build off of an existing system that is known to work well, while the Steam Controller winds up feeling kind of like it was trying to accommodate multiple things at once. Don't get me wrong; it did plenty right. It also did plenty oddly.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I can't help but feel that they've got another version under development. We see so much stuff about their VR controllers being developed and surely some of what they're learning from that could be adapted to a new general Steam controller. At least a build quality improvement would be nice.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a cool modular gamepad, but there's not really any games designed with it in mind, and attempts to use it to approximate the functions of gamepads leads to some awkward results.

Kudos to Valve for taking the plunge, but I'm pretty much convinced that the future lies in gamepads like the XB1 Elite controller, with its trigger stops, remappable rear paddles and face buttons, and a multitude of analog stick and trigger response curve tweaks. That gamepad is designed to build off of an existing system that is known to work well, while the Steam Controller winds up feeling kind of like it was trying to accommodate multiple things at once. Don't get me wrong; it did plenty right. It also did plenty oddly.

This part isn't quite true. There's a small but growing number of games that ship with native Steam Input support out of the box. Civilization VI is one such game.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I never got on with it, the pads just don't work for me at all. I need the physical response, the haptics don't work for me. Also always found the bumpers too stiff.

hijukal

Oct 25, 2017
I bought one in November 2015, tried it for a week, nearly bounced off it and back to a 360 controller. I forced myself to use it exclusively for a month and have used it almost exclusively since. I love it.

When games are configured for it (most recently for me was Prey) it's wonderful, and in other games can be equally wonderful with some effort. Or a fine "regular" controller - I prefer Mouse Joystick for games that don't support simultaneous kb+m and controller input.

For those mentioning emulators, it works fine with them in standard mode, or really well if launching from Steam. Using an activator with a touch menu makes it easy to handle emulatory things like save states etc.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you put in the time to tweak the controller to fit each game individually, it's without a doubt the best controller ever made. Small QOL things you can do with the controller like hold to perform a combo, or setting the most used face buttons to the paddles so your thumbs never leave the trackpads are amazing.

For pick up and play though? Not even close.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I bought one a few months ago, but honestly I can never seem to find a use for it. If I need the precision of mouse aiming I'll use a mouse & split controller setup, if I need a traditional controller I'll stick with a 360/XO one because the Steam controller's face buttons are really crummy. The one thing I wanted it to be useful for is MMOs to speed up hotbar usage or weapon set switching, but I never found anything satisfactory.

Outside of that...? I feel it has potential to be useful to me but the constant need to fix the mapping before you try out any game is so tedious that I just don't want to bother, particularly since it requires booting into big picture mode. You can download others peoples ones, but they always feel geared towards the specific preferences of the creator rather than a generic "default controls" config.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with it is the lack of an easy and comfortable dpad. Cuts out a lot of 2d games that I would otherwise play on the Steam controller.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I buyed it but not used much. It's not bad, but I feel better using the DualShock 4, it feel better on my hands.
It's too similar to xbox controller, that I don't feel much confortable.
But besides comfort, It's an interesting pad.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest issue with the Steam Controller, is using it with games that won't allow mouse and gamepad at the same time.

I sat for hours trying to make it work with Fallout 4, as it won't allow you to map the right pad as a mouse, unless you map everything else as keyboard.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I've had one since release and go back to it every now and then but found my only use for it was navigating my desktop over steamlink.

For keyboard and mouse games I play like Civ 5/6, Stellaris etc it just felt terrible and clunky so I'd rather sit at my desk. Edit - reading this it's a bit unfair. It feels SLOW more than anything as I've played games like this for years and for me I couldn't get past it.

For controller games I'd still rather use the Xbox one / PS4 controller. Tried multiple games multiple times ( played maybe 20 hours of witcher 3 with it) and yea as you say it's great for typing and acceptable at imitating a mouse but for me it never became more than that.

Last edited:

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
YES! The Stream controller is fantastic. I've been pimping it for years, yet no one listens. Mainly because it launched with unfinished software, and with reviewers who didn't understand how to use it. Just plugging it in and expecting to make you better is ridiculousness.

It legitimately requires time to get used to. Like a lot of time. But once you do, it's so much better than a standard controller for accuracy, you can get pretty close to a mouse.

Channels like Critical Composer and ExistentialEgg show how good it can be. I can't wait for V2.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Could never get used to the track pads so I don't use it anymore. Really the only things I ended up liking about the controller was the back grip button, which I now feel should be the norm.

And steam input which is amazing.

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
I picked one up in the sale. I recently finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider with it (which coincidentally has native support for the SC) using it, I went from using a DS4 to the Steam Controller, using Steam Link too. Plugging it in and playing was very easy and felt very natural. The ADS sensitivity was super high so I had to change that but other than that it worked out the box with Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I'd say my own personal criticisms of it is the use of the left touch pad as a d-pad, which I don't really mind, I just feel it's a bit big and the click is quite hard (you can change it so that it just requires a tap rather than a full click if you want), and an more minor one is the actions buttons seem to be slightly misaligned for my usage, not sure if its going from a DS4 or just the way I play but I, initially at least, kept pressing the wrong button. Specifically the A and B button, kept pressing B expecting it to be A. I soon got over this with more use. I have used the controller with some other games and emulators too. Yesterday I set up the SC to work with CEMU (Wii U emulator) and now I have the SC set up with Steam Link and can play Breath of the Wild using both all launched through Steam Big Picture, works really quite well.

In summary, I am very happy with my purchase.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I wouldn't call it the future of gaming since it wasn't that revolution many of us expected, it's a controversial piece of hardware, but personally i like it a lot and i tend to play most of my Steam games with it.

First of all i like the concept, it's very unique, and it's always refreshing to see a new take on controllers, for so many years we've been using the same two layouts (Dualshock or Nintendo/Xbox) over and over.

It works beautifully with Valve games, the two Portal in particular, as for the other games it depends: but i also really like that you can customize the layout or simply downloading the most used one.

My only criticism is on the execution/build quality: gyro controls aren't very precise, and the bumpers feel very cheap, and maybe Valve could improve their browser in Big Picture (i used it a lot when i was playing Stardew Valley to find guides).

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
native support. i've never added an emulator to steam. guess i can try that. but one time i tried using it with an n64 emulator and it wouldn't register the analog stick or the buttons. haven't tried it since, really. need to use it again.
Add your emulators to Steam, that's the only way you're going to get full support of the controller. It's my favorite by far. It's perfect for Wii, Wii U, and 3DS games.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I actually didn't know any the trackball prototypes had them sticking out the back like that. I'm curious to know how that one performed compared to the trackpads Valve ended up going with, since it looks like you could use your fingers + your thumb to control the trackball and not just your thumb by itself with the trackpad.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
My problem with it is that I sit at my computer desk when I play games. It's not better than a 360/xbox controller for controller based games, and it's not better than a mouse/kb for m/kb based games. So it's pretty pointless given the amount of customization games require. It's mostly sat in it's case for a year now.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Bought one after I stepped on my DS3 and broke it. And I quite like it. Only thing I'm not a big fan of is configuring it. Of course there's always community presets to download and use, but I wish more devs would have official configs for it. But it's still great to use and being able to customize the controls so well is certainly big part of it. Took a while to get used to it though, I was so accustomed to the more "traditional" gamepads.

Edit: Also I haven't still figured out if I can configure it without launching big picture? Not a big fan of BPM, so I'd rather skip launching that first.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Also I haven't still figured out if I can configure it without launching big picture? Not a big fan of BPM, so I'd rather skip launching that first.

Connect the controller, and right click on the game you want to configure in your library.

There should be an option that says something akin to "configure Steam Controller" or something.

The Steam Controller Configurator will open in a window.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Connect the controller, and right click on the game you want to configure in your library.

There should be an option that says something akin to "configure Steam Controller" or something.

The Steam Controller Configurator will open in a window.
Yeah there it is, thanks a lot! I'm pretty damn sure I've checked that before, but I guess I just didn't have the controller turned on.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
The d-pad is my biggest issue but I had no idea that you could set it up to only require you to tap it instead of clicking it.

I like the controller so far and I mainly plan to use it with games that don't support gamepads (game controllers).

My go to controller is my OG Xbox One Controller (I plan to buy one of the newer Bluetooth ones though), I have also tried to use my DS4 and N/S controller.

One of the big issues that I have with my DS4 controller is that most games don't include the DS4 UI (glyphs??), As for N/S I get annoyed by the fact that the blue light stays on after I disconnected my controller. It is nice how Valve does have Steam input set up so you can swap those buttons so they act like you would expect I stead of getting mixed up with "A" = "B"

The back buttons on the Steam Controller are pretty cool though and I want more stuff like that.

I'm glad that I got my Steam Controller during the Winter sale and hopefully there will be some good games that make sure of it. Groove Coaster from what I read was designed with the Steam Controller in mind and it makes sense seeing how the publisher of that game is also an official distributor of the Steam Controller (and Valve products) in Japan. I really should buy that game especially since my monitor can change orientation

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I think the haotic pads are absolute trash and am shocked when people praise them for anything outside of the keyboard/typing function.

For these pads to work they need to be a different material. The hard plastic is worse than using a glass touchscreen. A rubbery surface that provides a better feel would be the way to go here, though I'm sure costs would be outrageous.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Just by turning the controller on the first time, you realize how useful this tech actually is. It starts by functioning as a surprisingly functional mouse and keyboard replacement. The right pad moves the mouse, the left pad scrolls by gently drawing a circle around it, The triggers function as the left and right mouse buttons with the middle mouse button being handled by clicking the left pad, and most importantly, clicking the stick actually opens a proper keyboard that you "type" on by using the pads and triggers.

V3jJNmI.gif

I can't stop laughing at this. Doesn't exactly sell the concept.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
How much of a hassle is it to use it on various games? I love XB1 controller because I know it works on all games, how much work do you need to put in to properly use it for most of the games?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I own it but if I'm being honest I don't use it much. I think it's good for PC games that don't natively support a controller, but for anything else I'd rather just a normal style controller. Especially since you have to run games through Steam to use the steam controller stuff, and that can be a real pain now that every big publisher pushes their own launcher.

I think that's the sad truth for the Steam Controller really, it has the potential to be amazing, but you do have to tinker with it a bit to get it there as not all games have good defaults, and not everyone wants to have to do that. Most people just want a plug in and play solution.

Oct 29, 2017
How much of a hassle is it to use it on various games? I love XB1 controller because I know it works on all games, how much work do you need to put in to properly use it for most of the games?
Some to none.

I have had a Steam Controller for a few years, and while I've switched to a Xbox One controller for more modern games, out of ease of use for Origin, Uplay, et all, I theoretically don't have to. (Though getting it to work in games for other clients is tricky).

By default the Steam Controller will emulate a 360 style controller. Thumb stick will be mapped to left thumb stick, right pad mapped to right stick, buttons, triggers, and shoulder buttons will work as expected. The problem with this, is at least for me, out of the box, the right stick emulation leaves something to be desired, causing tweaking. Realistically, the right pad should be set up to be a mouse, and the game should naitively support M/K & Controller split, but most don't.

So with most games that have controller support, you don't actually need to do anything. In addition, if you are playing a game that is not a deeply hidden gem, there's a good chance that someone has done the work for you, and made a setup, that you can just download that... and start the game.

Now if you do want to get your hands dirty, you totally can. The Steam Controller software gives you every variable to tweak to your liking, and software updates add more on the regular. So you can spend 5-50 minutes making things just the way you want it

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
This part isn't quite true. There's a small but growing number of games that ship with native Steam Input support out of the box. Civilization VI is one such game.
Fair enough, but when the gamepad was designed (and when I used one semi-regularly), there was no such thing, in my experience. What are some other examples of games with native support?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, but when the gamepad was designed (and when I used one semi-regularly), there was no such thing, in my experience. What are some other examples of games with native support?

Off the top of my head... Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, and CS:GO both have native support. Atari Vault has some rather impressive native support that lets you map everything on a game by game basis and recreate the arcade controls, such as the trackball in Centipede. Croteam's HD games (Serious Sam HD, Serious Sam 3, and The Talos Principle) have support. A handful of Ubisoft games have native support too.

One game that really surprised me was For Honor, which has some fairly extensive native support, and two profiles available by default. Just look at this awesome pre-designed configuration:

dangeROSS

Oct 28, 2017
I really love the Steam controller. I have never truly been able to adapt to using a Keyboard for gaming and tried tons of other alternatives. But the Steam controller just works so much easier and better then pretty much any other option I've tried.

I feel like the biggest benefit and downside to the controller is the Steam overlay backend. Having different configurations available from other people or being able to share your own with the community is genius.The amount of customization with all the options available are grand. My main qualm is that I do like to do lots of little tweeks sometimes and have found that if I open and close the Steam overlay too often while messing with things, it freaks out and causes issues.

And I have learned to embrace the gyro as being a really great additional input. I find it very intuitive. It does take a fair bit of adjusting to get used to the controller and all it's aspects, but I am quite happy with it overall.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I thought it'd be interesting, but honestly after using it for an amount of time, It's the worst controller I have ever used.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's awesome. I use it for most 3d games and all mouse driven games.

The only improvement I want is for the track pads to be sprung on bladders like the PS4 controller. Currently, there on tactile domes not only too hard, but sort of unpleasant feeling to click in.

Put the track pads on bladders, and make them pressure sensitive and it's on.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Currently trying to git gud at Apex Legends with the Steam Controller. Might be impossible? I'll publish my control styles after more testing.

Seriously though - weren't we getting a revision at some point?