• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
VLR would have been a 10/10 game for me if it had used 2D animation like 999 did.

it just looks so much worse

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I find great joy in reading these commentary posts as you progress. Please continue.

Wait till you get that fucking looping map...heheheheh

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
OP you are doing this so I replay VLR before going for ZTD, isn't it?
Let the temptation flow through you. I'm still deciding if I want to take a break before playing that one haha.

VLR would have been a 10/10 game for me if it had used 2D animation like 999 did.

it just looks so much worse
The character models look quite good, there's just a lack of polish on a few details which put it below the 2D stuff. It also doesn't help that the 2D animation was very well done in 999 though. Like, surprisingly great for a budget title.

>me eyeing the right side of the tree knowing there's LITERAL bombs in one of these fucking brunches
tenor.gif

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Let the temptation flow through you. I'm still deciding if I want to take a break before playing that one haha.

The character models look quite good, there's just a lack of polish on a few details which put it below the 2D stuff. It also doesn't help that the 2D animation was very well done in 999 though. Like, surprisingly great for a budget title.

>me eyeing the right side of the tree knowing there's LITERAL bombs in one of these fucking brunches
tenor.gif
What are your favorite characters so far?

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

K fucking took off his armor and iced dio

I"M K?!
giphy.gif

So that means either i'm the robot or K is a clone of me. Going with the latter, am I the vector for getting the antidote to the past? Getting frozen so I can gain future knowledge when I would have otherwise died.

What are your favorite characters so far?
So far Phi and Alice. Tenmyo is good too. Sigma not having a voice hurts him quite a bit. Design wise I quite like K and Phi the most tho.

I like how the game just does everything possible to make you hate Dio.
"also, this dude killed your mother figure"

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
That K moment is so fucking phenomenally good. It just dovetails into so much awesome material.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i also wish i could experience these games again for the first time. i played them on DS/3DS first and then replayed on PS4 but the first play was so crazy.

all 3 games had moments that made me flip. VLR had the most insane ones.

to the point i really enjoy when someone goes through the game and posts as they go.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
That K moment is so fucking phenomenally good. It just dovetails into so much awesome material.
My jaw legit dropped for like 2 minutes. Right before I was thinking "well, if he took off his suit he has to look like one of us to avoid raising suspicion. Or he's zero working zero jr to dodge people"

This probably means the dead old woman is Akane and maybe Snake is K's dad? Best I got right now. And it fits since Snake is shown to be of genius level intelligence pretty much.

Thinking back to what Clover said about her Esper powers "not working", maybe this Nonary game is to daisy chain espers to send information backwards in time. Or something even fucking crazier than that lmao

...Sigma means to sum something and Phi can represent coordinates
AptSecretDragon-max-1mb.gif

Took a day break before I go down the right path. On the hunt for the computer username now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Don't do what I did and look up the username and password thinking that I missed it. You'll know when you have it.
I already fucked up googling for junpei's last name haha. Couldn't remember if it was ever mentioned in 999 and was gonna see if it was an anagram for Tenmoy. Ah well, I had guessed as much before anyway.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is reminding me how fun it is to see people's reactions and theories while playing through VLR.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
VLR seriously is one of my favorite games of all time. Like Top 3. It blew my mind when I first played it and I played it before even knowing about 999 (not something I'd recommend but definitely adds more mystery to the twists if you don't have any prior knowledge). I stayed up several nights trying to unlock all the endings and when I was done I was so satisfied

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'll mention since you're recommending the "newer" version of 999 is that because you didn't play the DS version of 999 you actually missed out on a really great hardware based twist (sadly everyone coming into The Nonary Games nowadays is missing out on this). I'll spoiler it just in case, but it only relates to a new perspective on a playthrough you've already fully done.

On the DS version you have two screens obviously, throughout the game it kinda seems like the game is making ultra basic use of the hardware by having the top screen showing text boxes and character portraits with the bottom screen showing descriptive text and then the puzzles. And then you hit the twist at the end.

The top screen throughout the game was used for Junpei's view, the bottom screen was used for young Akane's view of events via the morphogenic field, which is why there is a disconnect between some text throughout the game as it is two different character's interpretations of events (most noticeable during bad endings, it's cool to go back through those with the knowledge of how the screens work). Cue the final sudoku puzzle, suddenly everything is upside down and you think the game is broken, but you actually have to physically rotate the DS 180 degrees so that the touchscreen is on Junpei's view for entering the digits, while the now top screen shows an image reflected in the monitor of young Akane with tears streaming down her face as she waits for Junpei to help her. This is why everyone cryptically has to say NO SERIOUSLY, PLAY THE DS ONE. And why nobody ever listens to us because they think "pfft, doesn't matter the trilogy is cheaper and looks better". Sadly, you missed the biggest mindgame twist in the game, one which can never be replicated on other hardware for such minor but also major reasons.

dsc02277.jpg

Anyway aside from that, enjoy VLR, it's a really fun ride. Zero's VA is Cindy Robinson who you might know as Labrys or Amy Rose, all of the voices are good but hers is a standout performance.
That spoiler photo seriously makes me want to bust out my DS copy again... Its that powerful

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
VLR seriously is one of my favorite games of all time. Like Top 3. It blew my mind when I first played it and I played it before even knowing about 999 (not something I'd recommend but definitely adds more mystery to the twists if you don't have any prior knowledge). I stayed up several nights trying to unlock all the endings and when I was done I was so satisfied
That's a hell of a lot of context to miss out on lmao

>Phi realizing she's trapped with a degenerate in the crew quarters
giphy.gif

Music here almost sounds like something i'd hear in ape escape

giphy.gif

I didn't need that comment about you going home to beat your meat after this tenmyo

Oh shit, did not expect a timeline knowledge drop this early into the right path. I wonder how many times we've failed. I knew I was right to save the right path for last tho

maxresdefault.jpg

DIO CHOSE ALLY FOR THIS FIRST ROUND?

Ya know, maybe Quark really is a little shit.

That clover betray gotta hit different for Tenmyo tho
tenor.gif

Still wondering what happens to Zero Jr. Straight up disappears after the first round of the AB game.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Clover is 21? That feels like it doesn't quite matchup with the timeline

Got a chuckle out of me when Sigma was talking about his cat tic and K was just like
giphy.gif

God damn, there really was a bomb under this here bench. Number 3 tho so I don't have a code for it.

AN ANTIMATTER BOMB!? Just drop that shit so casually like motherfuckers have had that shit since the 90s

Hmm, got a diagram from the B. Garden. Kinda looks like it has something to do with timelines if it mentions the Nevada test site. And a piece of paper that says IG=immunoglobulin. So i'm guessing that the machine in the lab is used to test for Radical-6 immunity. Which may be how I can save everyone from killing themselves from the infection.

Also, I fucking swear the people in this game be like this searching the safes
giphy.gif

"Where's the key? ................................Oh, right there!"

Oh shit, Alice really is All Ice. Doubt clover was fucking with tenmyo, especially if he told him who he was. Which means 4 people got slapped into the future unwillingly. Sigma, Clover, Alice, and Phi or Luna. Either Phi, Luna, or K are a god damn robot and I don't know who! Phi has displayed superhuman capabilities, Luna makes sense with the chinese room analogy in a way, and K could just be made to look like me. I don't know why someone would make him look like me though.

Ayyyy, yeap. Time to save Alice and Quark. We're gonna need a lot more than 2 doses tho lol

Oh shit, the number 2 bomb! Got the deactivation code for this one though. Just need the input device

I GOT BETRAYED BY ALICE!? WHAT?!
enhanced-15446-1457976375-10.png

Lmao @ everyone else betraying each other tho. Yall clowns

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I love the LTTP threads for these games, especially with the live reactions lol. Good luck OP!

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, that's right. Fuck you Alice for that one
hqdefault.jpg

Man, why do the static 2D scenes look so bad? It's like they turned off the shaders and gameplay lighting for them.

Jesus fuck, Sigma has a photographic memory and Alice has genius level math skills.

>Me getting slapped with the past memories
giphy.gif

>Me tricking dio because this man is straight dumb
giphy.gif

....Clover, girl. how stupid are you?
giphy.gif

Everyone dies
hqdefault.jpg

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i just had to seek out this thread to see how things were going.

badboysshitjustgotreal.gif but posted so often people think it's spam.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh, we're finally getting to the integration of schrodinger's cat into the game's themes. Wonder if it's hinting at certain events can only be changed on the micro level, but macro stays the same. So either Me or Alice will always be burned no matter what each other chooses.

SIGGGGGYYYYY, PHIDOOOOO

I got the input device for the bombs inside the safe? What, why does Zero Jr have that? Dio seemed like either a planned interference, or an unsuspecting cohort.

Also, what is Dio's mission anyway? He says completed it, but there's no indication as to what he did. It can't be anything bomb related otherwise he wouldn't have given up the codes so easily. Maybe he killed Zero Jr and that's why they never talk again after the first round.

A passing thought is that ZTD is based on the recording we heard earlier

>Mfers in this game whenever an AB gate is open and they have 45 MINUTES until it closes
source.gif

Well, found the number 1 bomb. Think there's only 1 bomb left to find

Tenmyo really just knocked this man out like it was a joke
JubilantSillyIberianmole-small.gif

WOW PHI, HOW PETTY CAN YOU BE TO KEEP A GRUDGE THROUGH TIMELINES!?
tenor.gif

BXj0L-WCMuk_qGPgimBqZ7SmnoPyYmmFbe9S77cnrC_PR91rSvZqRzIK8Pg6MUTc3LqlW2VkiJEZ2kvPYnVNTPNCtaD_VhtZwF7-XElZgqWBcxeYh8a4TryoTTlo

THEN YOU GOT THE AUDACITY TO CHOOSE ALLY WHEN I BETRAY YOU AND STILL GET MAD

WHERE WAS THIS KNOCK A MAN OUT IN ONE CHOP SHIT THE PAST 8 ENDINGS PHI? WHY YOU ONLY GOT SMOKE FOR ME?

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that Phi moment is super cool. She's all

giphy.gif
top 10 anime betrayals

Phew, a reverse schrodinger's cat. A group of people determining if the world outside is a shit fest or not. Makes sense given Zero Sr's termite explanation

My god, an antimatter reactor going off might be enough to crack a piece of the planet off. Detonated in something like Oklahoma it'd wipe the entire state

Man, why am I such a stick in the 3d parts? Last I checked I had some big ol muscles in the artwork (and K does too in game so it doesn't add up)

Wait, so Dio's plan really is just to blow up the base to stop the game? He really is a whole ass idiot for giving up the codes, who sent this man?

Glad I wrote down these bomb codes on a notepad lmao. Think i'm on the ending path though

Off to find the final(?) number 2 bomb! Making a total of 4. I'm guessing the number zero bomb is hidden behind the computer

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Oh god I love LTTP threads for Zero Escape, WATCHED.

And now we wait for OP to go EVEN FURTHER down the rabbit hole.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ah, I see Skittles found a GOAT game series. I have to admit, I actually forgot quite a few of the smaller plot points of both games, I still know the big overarching thing.

For 999, yes, having to replay everything each time was horrible. After getting the 3 bad ends and being forced to pla through the tutorial room for a fourth time I just used a FAQ to get through the game (at least to see how to trigger the good endings). Also, that fucking coffin ending just ending with "To be continue" annoyed me like hell.

When they released VLR with a flow chart it was SO MUCH better. I am not sure buzt I think I got stuck on a few parts. Worst offender being the very first room, where I managed to get the hard mode done, but then had to lower the difficulty to actually get enough hints for me to get the regular solution. This one thing in the very beginning was going to haunt me hours later... xD

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see Skittles found a GOAT game series. I have to admit, I actually forgot quite a few of the smaller plot points of both games, I still know the big overarching thing.

For 999, yes, having to replay everything each time was horrible. After getting the 3 bad ends and being forced to pla through the tutorial room for a fourth time I just used a FAQ to get through the game (at least to see how to trigger the good endings). Also, that fucking coffin ending just ending with "To be continue" annoyed me like hell.

When they released VLR with a flow chart it was SO MUCH better. I am not sure buzt I think I got stuck on a few parts. Worst offender being the very first room, where I managed to get the hard mode done, but then had to lower the difficulty to actually get enough hints for me to get the regular solution. This one thing in the very beginning was going to haunt me hours later... xD
I just thought about how fucked up that coffin ending is on the DS. Holy shit lol, hours of progress lost because you had no way to know the specific dialogue choices or that you've even enabled the true ending.

Casual sexual harassment from Sigma
giphy.gif

How did I forgot fucking PEMDAS (archive puzzle) with a math minor and a master
giphy.gif

What the fuck is behind this big ol door in warehouse B. And man that robot tease is left hanging so long, i'm just expecting them to slap me with it at any minute

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I just thought about how fucked up that coffin ending is on the DS. Holy shit lol, hours of progress lost because you had no way to know the specific dialogue choices or that you've even enabled the true ending.
I read up that this one is gone after unlocking the route for the true ending. So I went ahead and especially took the Coffin ending route before unlocking the rest.

Yeah, so fun. Playing through every room again was more annoying than anything else. At least after clearing the first room 6 times I can probably still speed clear it even today... xD

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I read up that this one is gone after unlocking the route for the true ending. So I went ahead and especially took the Coffin ending route before unlocking the rest.

Yeah, so fun. Playing through every room again was more annoying than anything else. At least after clearing the first room 6 times I can probably still speed clear it even today... xD
Oh ya, it does go away. Still feel bad that you wasted time on an ending which is just a cut away of the true ending

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Oooo, a lock where I have to fail first on the same path then I gain the knowledge to succeed

I wonder if Radical-6 is like Butterfly Syndrome from Ars Paradoxica

Ohhhhh noooo, my hand. I'm the robot...
image0.jpg

Ash-Blood_resize_md.jpg

So Alice, Clover, Luna, and Phi were the frozen ones. So either K is a clone or the real "sigma". But if i'm a robot how am I using the morphogenic field. WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I guess in a way it doesn't matter if i'm a robot or not to use the field. They did have a talk about there not being much of an intrinsic difference between things. So a robot could use it by that logic

Luna just straight up called me out, god damn.

At this point, Luna has to be an Augmentation Surgeon or some shit. She's hella suspicious
adf.jpg

Sorry Phi
hqdefault.jpg

WAIT, STILL A HUMAN. WE IN THERE BOYS
latest

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
999 is so damn good, wasn't a big fan of VLR but looking back it's not that bad of a followup.
I think it was just a case of expecting more after 999.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost Trick is up there.
I'd probably play this if it wasn't stuck on DS/Mobile. Needs a current gen port.

Bahahaha, the trophy I just got. "Arms Race"

Luna gave me the username for the computer. Nice. Still don't trust her tho.

Holy shit, they really just cut off my hand like that lmao.
Black_Knight_Holy_Grail.png

Using the 9 door as guillotine is smart, i'll give you that sigma

Ah ha! The old woman is indeed Akane. And her ID had the password for the comp. What the fuck did K give me then? Nvm, her password is for something else

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
SO LUNA IS THE ROBOT!
Either Phi, Luna, or K are a god damn robot and I don't know who! Phi has displayed superhuman capabilities, Luna makes sense with the chinese room analogy in a way,

Wonder if she would have killed me if I voted betray

Pour one out for Luna who was forced to standby and do nothing

Oh my god, I forgot about the knife. This whole organization is dumb for putting their name on weaponry.
iwUUE2g.gif

I'm cackling at the bracelet is defeated by common kitchen items

Eeek, Luna. What a way to go. This explains why Zero Jr never talks after the first round tho

She fucking trapped me in here for betraying
tenor.gif

Onto the true path to defuse all these bombs

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I hope bomb 0 is in dio's hat, one last hat trick :)

Darn, in between the ab rooms

...there's an awful lot of trophies left for a game i feel like i'm almost done with

Room Q eh? Quite the throwback to 999's final room

This is a fucking puzzle room, holy shit
giphy.gif

oh my fucking lord more shit comes out of the walls with more puzzles after you solve a minesweeper wall
image0.jpg

LOLLLLL, i would pick the hardest wall first

The back button attachment has been a dream for these visual novels in so many ways. For this room I could click on squares using just my left hand while I enter the numbers into notepad with the other. Plus it's a lot more comfortable just to hit the back buttons instead of mashing x in most cases

Pfft, I can punch through that glass piss easy. I got fucking titanium appendgages mother fuckers

Hmmm, the Q AB game wasn't worded the best for the escape hint.

What a great room nonetheless though!

Ahhh, so we do intend to send Sigma back to the past AND Phi.

After, before game. simple but I like it

Damn, slapped 50 years into the future. That's fucking rough.

Local woman can't stop herself from getting killed multiple times throughout time

I don't like the way it said "once you find a password it doesn't change through timelines"
giphy.gif

Oh shit the gravestone key lets go! Was wondering why that thing had a keyhole

I uh, don't think there's a way for us to return to the past. If this consciousness slingshot thing is tied to linear time (i.e. I can go backward but will always return to the present point). You better not be a greedy motherfucker again Akane

Oh shit, not mars. We're on the moon

Damn, so we've been moving in slow motion this whole time? That's fucking wild

WE JUST BLEW UP THE EARTH TO STOP A VIRUS!?

Ahhh, so the extra door is a re-entry point.

>me while K drops the lore bombs
giphy.gif

IT"S ME AGAIN IN THE POD!?! WHAT THE FUCK

AKANE WAS IN THE ARMOR THE WHOLE TIME? WHAT!?

I"M ZERO SR!?!
giphy.gif

...i need to go ly dow

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Luna's route was the best route, I felt sick having to betray her and then Bluebird Lamentation and the password realisation broke me.

BTW, a heads up but you should start grabbing gold files if you haven't already.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I gotta say, my favorite moment in VLR was the first time I went back and picked a different choice, namely to betray Alice, only for her to change her choice and Sigma fucking freaks because she picked betray before, even though there's no clear reason for Sigma to even know that, and it was such a "Holy fucking shit" moment for me, and so, so good.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the endgame is quite a ride. i lost night sleep when i got to it the first time.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
the endgame is quite a ride. i lost night sleep when i got to it the first time.
Every fucking time, in 999, VLR and the Somnium Files, I pulled an all nighter for the ending.
Once the final stretch has hooked you, you gotta keep going to know what happens, and then once you finish, you're too wired to sleep.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Btw OP, the 'Another Time' ending (which you get for doing all the rooms on hard / is fucking rad) was unfortunately rendered non-canon by ZTD.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Btw OP, the 'Another Time' ending (which you get for doing all the rooms on hard / is fucking rad) was unfortunately rendered non-canon by ZTD.
Now this got me curious. What's this ending? It's been some years I played the game.

Is this the one you go back to the past and meet young Akane?

Thanks