• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Picked it up today for 20eur and having immense fun.

Just got done with the Eastern Palace stuff and now I have to go find two more pendant thingies.

I really like it so far, my only complaint is not being able to aim my bow once I'm charged to shoot but it's a minor issue.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I have some small issues with it, but it's an immensely enjoyable and playable game. It's perfectly paced too and it might just have the best soundtrack in the series.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
it's a gem, it deserves to be remastered. i hope they do a "sequel" :)

it's my second favorite Zelda ever only behind BOTW.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
It's such a good game. The first Zelda I ever beat, I couldn't put it down.
I loved all the turning into a painting wall stuff.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super fun game. Although I wish it was a little more unforgiving. You still need to beat it once to unlock hard mode right?

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
GOAT tier 2D Zelda game, with an equally awesome soundtrack.

Its 2D controls are still unmatched to this day.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Man, no wonder the game tells you to take breaks once in a while. It's so addictive!

A remaster on the Switch would be amazing.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
One of the best Zelda. It is so snappy to play and fun. The freedom you have is also great. Also the 3D effect was one of the best and the painting mechanic was such a neat idea
It just doesn't look very good, just ok.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
After playing basically all of them, it's in my top 3 for sure. Such a masterpiece, 2D formula perfectioned in such a precise way, it's almost absurd.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Been thinking about replaying some of my favorite Zelda games and LBW is definitely high on the list. Amazing game.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
I loved this game and had a god tier soundtrack. Much better then the disappointing (imo) Links awakening remake.

Emerald Hawk

Dec 12, 2017
New Jersey
Super fun game. Although I wish it was a little more unforgiving. You still need to beat it once to unlock hard mode right?
Yes. I don't replay games very often but I played this twice in order to beat hard mode.

Hard mode was perfect, everything felt dangerous but fair. I actually had to learn the combat and the enemy patterns instead of muddling through. All of the upgrades and items mattered more; getting them felt more satisfying because they really impacted your survivability. It was better than BOTW's Master mode, which just made things tedious and shut down some of the creativity that game was known for.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was LTTP too last year. I'm not sure if I was in the right head space when I played it, but it didn't do much for me. Exploration was hardly incentivized (most rewards were rupees), it was too easy (didn't die once), renting items was somewhat unceremonious for me, and just the fact that it was largely the Link to the Past map took away from the fun for me.

Link's Awakening on the other hand was everything I wanted and more.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I was LTTP too last year. I'm not sure if I was in the right head space when I played it, but it didn't do much for me. Exploration was hardly incentivized (most rewards were rupees), it was too easy (didn't die once), renting items was somewhat unceremonious for me, and just the fact that it was largely the Link to the Past map took away from the fun for me.

Link's Awakening on the other hand was everything I wanted and more.

Game based partially on older game's map is not fun, exact remake of old game with exact same map is everything you wanted. Make up your mind.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I still can't believe this game exists.

A FANTASTIC sequel to the arguable GOAT game. I was sooo happy when this was announced and even happier when it lived up to my lofty expectations.

I hope Nintendo does more sequels like this for older games.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just pointing out the logical inconsistency in what you're saying. You can see it too, I hope.

*rolls up sleeves and prepares to engage in a pointless internet discussion*

It would only be illogical if I were, say, a video game reviewer and I gave LBW a 7/10 saying "the reuse of an old map was disappointing" and yet gave LA a 10/10, having played the original, saying it was a masterpiece of a remake.

But alas, I've played LTTP to death since my days as a nerdy child, and LA was brand new to me on the Switch.

Conclusion: You're the logically inconsistent one

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Agreed! Enjoyed it immensely. Super quick and snappy controls, very fun and accessible dungeons and awesome soundtrack by Ryo Nagamatsu (Lorule Castle <3).
yes!! the controls are still unmatched, such a delight to play. i just wish the game was a little bit challenging. the OST is delicious alright. it's just a game that i love to walk around and explore and i find all the characters engaging.

I agree with everything in this post

ahhh, another cultured person :)

i hope we don't wait too long to see the next topdown Zelda and it's in the same vein as this gem <3

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Very good game. My biggest complaint is the familiarity. The best Zelda games are all about venturing out into a new world and the thrill of discovery. If it had an entirely new map, it would be extra top tier.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Excellent game, amazing soundtrack (Lorule main theme is phenomenal), solid dungeons and gameplay.

I *despise* the baseball mini-game for that damned heart piece. Otherwise the game is great!

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the game, my favorite top down Zelda after Link's Awakening. The 2D walk on walls was a nice touch in some puzzles. Graphics are gorgeous in 3D as well.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I generally love Zelda and I think a Link to the Past is a masterpiece but this one I really didn't enjoy all that much. I've not played it since release but I can't remember the dungeons at all, I feel like they suffered from the item rental shop being there(I didn't use that at all tho). I was looking forward to it but never really had fun with it

maybe i need to revisit it and see if I enjoy it more.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I liked it, but I feel like what most people love most about it (the freedom and item rental) was my least favorite part. It really took away a lot of the sense of progression for me, and I found myself really missing the old "find a new cool item in every dungeon" aspect.

I also found the difficulty to be too easy, and coupled with being able to do dungeons in any order left me feeling kind of aimless.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it, and really liked the painting mechanic, but...

I still prefer Link to the Past. I think it has the better visuals, better story, and although the weapon renting was a welcome change for the Zelda formula, that formula wasn't tired with ALTTP - it was perfected with it. It felt sort of unnecessary to me in the game of LBW, more of a meta necessary thing to shake things up a bit for the Zelda franchise - but I guess it makes sense that they'd try it with a faux-remake and not a new game.

I also thought changing things like the Dark World to Lorule was weird and unnecessary - to me it would've been cooler to have this be a sequel to ALTTP, not like a reboot of it.

I guess what I'm saying is - I loved the game, but if ever I have the itch to go back to this Hyrule, it'll probably always be with ALTTP. Maybe next time I'll play LBW instead though, for the sake of variety...y'all seem to absolutely love it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I'm actually replaying it also atm. What I remember from playing it a few years ago was that it was really good, but not quite top 5, more like #6-8 tied with Skyward Sword and BotW, and that LttP was slightly better, despite LBW having better controls. But I'm going to see if my opinions change. I do think the Eastern Palace dungeon is really underrated at least in terms of aesthetics.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
It was my first 2D Zelda. I liked it, but I personally think it's just good, not great. I didn't like the rental mechanic and how easy it made all the puzzles in the dungeons, and since it started this non-linear trend in modern Zelda games that pushed me away from the series, I can't really praise it that much. Great soundtrack though, and I liked the few story beats that were there (really wish there was more story, Hilda was such a great character). It's #7 on my Zelda list currently.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
The only downer was that it turned out to be a remake of ALttP and I ended up mentally comparing the games as it went along. I would have much preferred an all new Hyrule overworld. In the end, I still prefer ALttP.

But it was still a fun game and I enjoyed the Painting mechanics and the redesigned dungeons.

The only other thing that bugged me is whether or not A Link Between Worlds is a retcon of A Link to the Past, lore-wise due to the whole story overhaul. It would make me a bit sad of ALttP was retconned out of existence. I'm hoping it is meant to be a separate adventure and they are both canon. Perhaps a sequel to ALttP?

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Great game. My main complain is that the game feels like something between a remake and a sequel instead of a true sequel.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
*rolls up sleeves and prepares to engage in a pointless internet discussion*

It would only be illogical if I were, say, a video game reviewer and I gave LBW a 7/10 saying "the reuse of an old map was disappointing" and yet gave LA a 10/10, having played the original, saying it was a masterpiece of a remake.

But alas, I've played LTTP to death since my days as a nerdy child, and LA was brand new to me on the Switch.

Conclusion: You're the logically inconsistent one

But you have literally said that. Your criticism of LBW was that it was based on an older map so it didn't do much for you. Then you say LA is great and everything you wanted - a game which has an identical map. That's all that's being pointed out. Whether you played LA first time round or not is irrelevant.

Anyway, LBW is great. Really enjoyed the item system and the freedom it gave. Would love a port/remake.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The only downer was that it turned out to be a remake of ALttP and I ended up mentally comparing the games as it went along. I would have much preferred an all new Hyrule overworld. In the end, I still prefer ALttP.

was hoping it'd be a starting framework for new 2D zelda. but nearly a decade later i guess they're leaving that stone unturned, LA remake not withstanding

anyway LBW was great. something about the 'rental' system felt kinda cheap but overall it was a fun little shakeup. tried to replay it recently but the resolution was all kind of oof. would say i'd love a remaster but the stereoscopics kinda made the game, so it'd be a one step forward two steps back kinda proposition on switch

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I also thought changing things like the Dark World to Lorule was weird and unnecessary - to me it would've been cooler to have this be a sequel to ALTTP, not like a reboot of it.
Yeah, since the graphics had to be made from scratch, despite being based on the SNES title, they could have made Lorule's tile set a bit more distinct from the Dark World's to make it clear they're not the same place.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Amazing and criminally underrated game. The pacing is just perfect, and some dungeons are some of the best in the series. Also, the wall paint gimmick is probably the coolest in any Zelda. Loved it.

Nov 13, 2017
Probably the best 'traditional' Zelda game ever imo. It is the most perfectly paced Zelda game I have ever played, and doesn't overstay its welcome like I feel many did (WW with the triforce shard quest, etc).