• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian is a game I've heard many good things about for a long time but never got the chance to play. Finally was able to start the game last night and played for a couple hours. To start off with the game's art style is really lovely. I've never played a Team Ico game before so this is my first time playing one but I really enjoy the unique art style. It took me a little while to get a handle on the controls but I have no real complaints with them so far.

Next up is Trico, so far I'm in love with him, he kinda looks like some kind of giant dog hybrid animal but being able to interact with him has been a treat. The animations he does at times are unreal to see. As an example when I got to the water area after getting out of the tutorial cave area I threw some barrels into the water so Trico would come down as it appeared he was afraid of water (also why does he like eating barrels? haha) One of the barrels was a bit out of reach for him in the water so he took one of his paws and scooped the barrel to move it closer to him so he could eat it. I never expected to see that kind of realistic animation and it was very cute/charming.

Once I got to the forest area I was struck was a very beautiful vista in the forest, then when the music hit (a beautiful music track at that) I was just in awe.

maxresdefault.jpg

I tend to really love puzzles in games and games in general that make you think on how to progress and TLG has certainly delivered in that front. A couple of them so far have even stumped me for quite a while. For example the forest area above, it took me a long time to think to bring Trico to the other side of the ruin walls and climb on top of him so he'll jump up and over the wall. Speaking of climbing Trico is was really neat that you can pet him and the blood spots he has from the spears you removed at the start of the game can be wiped away if you pet him. Just a really nice and charming touch.

tumblr_o1yqrjrpnr1uq3dq7o1_500.gif

Before I started playing the game I heard about how it has quite a bit of performance issues, with me only having a base model PS4 I was concerned how it might run/if it'll affect my enjoyment of the game but I'm happy to say that it hasn't. I have definitely seen some large frame rate dips, an area that the game paused for a few seconds and a loading circle in the bottom right of the screen appeared and a few more issues but none of which have really bothered me.

If I had to list one very minor complaint so far it's that the controls for climbing Trico can be a bit wonky at times and trying to drop off him can take a bit for it to work but other then that I have no real complaints.

I left off last night at some ruins after a little ways after the segment where you have to close the pot with the aroma what was causing Trico to stick his head under the archway and where you see a brief cut scene of another creature that looks like Trico climbing up a tall tower. Plan to play more tonight and will update this thread as my progress goes along!

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
One of if not the greatest game of this gen. An absolute masterpiece. Enjoy OP

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
It's the best PS4 exclusive imho :)

The controls are a bit wonky and the creature AI is not "perfect", but it's not meant to be since animals (or humans) don't have perfect AI!

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Trico is one of the best video game companions. His animation and behavior are very well-made.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
One of the best games of the gen. Probably prefer it ever so slightly to SotC but they're both absolutely fantastic works.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
My GOTG this gen, it's just a masterpiece. I've played it four times and I've never been stuck with Trico for more than a minute or two. People just don't treat him well :) It's also low key one of the better platformers this generation - some real, palpable danger and failure always feels very possible. I wish more games took notes from that.

Really glad you're enjoying it, get ready for hell of an emotional ride.

It should be noted I played it 1080p on a pro so I get the most stable performance.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's a beautiful game. not just because of the visuals, but because of the interactions and relationship between the two characters. we dont get these games anymore.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
You've got much to experience still, it's an incredible experience of love, empathy and understandings with so few words. Its cemented Ueda for me as one of my favorite artist.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
One of my favorite experiences this gen. Glad you're enjoying it, OP.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Glad you're enjoying it. It's one of my favorite games this gen. Big fan of the Team Ico games, and Ico is one of my all-time favorites.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The game is so criminally underrated it breaks my heart! :(

This game should also be praised all the time for its insane AI and animation job with Trico. It is the one and only AI companion I 100% of the time believed was real. And not just that, but a companion for who I deeply cared for. How was this game not showered with tech or science awards?

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I plan to replay this on PS5 if it gets a patch. Beautiful game, I got the special edition with the Trico statue, loving it!

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Progress Update

Played a bit more tonight, got to the open area right after you complete the puzzle with the 2 rooms and the mini aroma jar that you need to transfer from one room to the other so Trico can lift the gate up. The puzzle right after where you take a helmet to smash the glass panels on either side of the room was fun too.

Where I left off:

TLG3.jpg

TLG4.jpg

Earlier tonight was pretty tense. That long corridor you have to navigate the ceiling and drop down and avoid the rotating statue cone of sight to be able to pull the chain to let Trico through the door became tense. The first part was pretty easy as there were only 2 rotating statues, the next one with much more I got spotted and kept getting grabbed/carried away on their shoulder kicking and yelling(now I know how Ashley Graham from Resident Evil 4 felt haha) and had to keep breaking free and luring them to the other side and running back to pull the chain a little until they grabbed me again and just repeated about 4 times until Trico was finally able to enter.

Couple more screenshots I took.

TLG2.jpg

TLG1.jpg

Finally that aforementioned area with the 2 rooms and the aroma jar, in the first room Trico was playing with the chain, it was adorable and I took a short video clip of it.

I'm losing these animations and I'm loving Trico more every minute I play the game.

Plan to play the game again tomorrow night so I'll give another progress update then!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Great game. But any time Trico has to jump on multiple columns, it likes to get to the middle one, turn its ass around, and freeze or hop back down.

The abominable platforming controls nearly put me off this game in a few places.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
I love this game so much. The ending really gets me. OP, be sure to stick around after the credits. Most do, but just wanted to tell ya :)

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad so many people have enjoyed this thread so far and are looking forward to my impressions and updates. This is the first ever LTTP thread I've made so it's nice to see.

Oct 27, 2017
Masterpiece of a game. The animation on Trico I'd absolutely insane. After playing this game, every time my cat jumped I would see Trico

trapt777

Oct 25, 2017
This game was a magical experience for me. It was my first Ueda game, and it led to me being immensely disappointed in Shadow of the Colossus when I finally got around to playing it (in remake form, and then thinking I was missing something, the PS3 remaster). To me, looking backwards clearly showed the DNA that led to The Last Guardian, but also showed how TLG was the natural evolution of the formula.

The ending is/was fantastic. Enjoy, OP.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
One of the most unique AA/AAA games on PS4. Loved it. The animations of Trico as well as of the boy were done exceptionally well.
I think like with every other game, especially exclusives for a platform, the issues with the game were exaggerated. As I got more comfortable with the controls, it in a way felt like the bond with Trico is getting stronger and he is more responsive to my commands, which was amazing.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
You'll probably get stuck here and there but please look for answers online if you feel frustrated, the back half of the game is incredible and shouldn't be missed.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
You'll probably get stuck here and there but please look for answers online if you feel frustrated, the back half of the game is incredible and shouldn't be missed.
There's definitely been a couple segments so far where I've been completely stumped. Haven't looked up answers online yet as I try my best to figure out puzzles and such by myself but I got really close once earlier on. Will look online though if there ever comes I time I can't figure it out and am getting frustrated.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Good game. Going in blind to the wonderful mystery of it all was sublime. Be sure to enjoy it - we only get a game like this once in a generation maybe.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Progress Update

Played a bit more tonight, got to the open area right after you complete the puzzle with the 2 rooms and the mini aroma jar that you need to transfer from one room to the other so Trico can lift the gate up. The puzzle right after where you take a helmet to smash the glass panels on either side of the room was fun too.

Where I left off:

TLG3.jpg

TLG4.jpg

Earlier tonight was pretty tense. That long corridor you have to navigate the ceiling and drop down and avoid the rotating statue cone of sight to be able to pull the chain to let Trico through the door became tense. The first part was pretty easy as there were only 2 rotating statues, the next one with much more I got spotted and kept getting grabbed/carried away on their shoulder kicking and yelling(now I know how Ashley Graham from Resident Evil 4 felt haha) and had to keep breaking free and luring them to the other side and running back to pull the chain a little until they grabbed me again and just repeated about 4 times until Trico was finally able to enter.

Couple more screenshots I took.

TLG2.jpg

TLG1.jpg

Finally that aforementioned area with the 2 rooms and the aroma jar, in the first room Trico was playing with the chain, it was adorable and I took a short video clip of it.

I'm losing these animations and I'm loving Trico more every minute I play the game.

Plan to play the game again tomorrow night so I'll give another progress update then!

Shit, you're gonna make me fire this up again 😑

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
One of the most amazing game I played this gen. The whole story arc was superb.

I think it's worth looking at "tips and tricks" guides to understand how to heal Trico, manage his mood, etc... I wish I figured some of these things sooner.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's worth looking at "tips and tricks" guides to understand how to heal Trico, manage his mood, etc... I wish I figured some of these things sooner.
This is good advice. As much as I love the game, I think a lot of people's frustrations stem from the game doing a poor job of explaining things.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
An absolute masterpiece. I had it preordered the day after it was announced, and finally holding it in my hands when it actually launched was a surreal experience. Even had my original pre-order receipt. It didn't disappoint one bit.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the game.

Loved all of the Team Ico games myself. Hopefully, after you finish TLG you can have a chance to play the other games. The PS4 remaster of SotC is wonderful and Ico is currently available on PSNow if you have that service.

Last edited:

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
Technical issues aside (would love to replay this on PS5 with better framerate), game is amazing and the ending blew me away. One of the most memorable PS4 games I played this past gen.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
An absolute gem of a game. I love it. It's a great that only comes around every once in a while, maybe every couple of generations. Amazing art style, amazing atmosphere, amazing subtle story telling, amazing connection to the characters (Trico especially)... just a wonderful experience despite all the flaws. Loved the ending. It's my personal favorite of Team ICO's work.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
There's definitely been a couple segments so far where I've been completely stumped. Haven't looked up answers online yet as I try my best to figure out puzzles and such by myself but I got really close once earlier on. Will look online though if there ever comes I time I can't figure it out and am getting frustrated.

Nice, hope you enjoy it and suffer, emotionaly, as much as we did lol

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I played it recently for the first time. I liked it a lot, but camera/controls felt antiquated in a bad way, and the mechanic of mashing all the buttons when the statues pick you up really sucked imo. It's a really cool game with some pretty big flaws. If you can overlook the flaws it's amazing, if you can't it's like a 7/10. I'm somewhere in the middle.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Long multi-part interview with the devs. Good read.

Special symposium with the staff of The Last Guardian Part.1:genDESIGN

At the award-winning exhibition for the Japan Media Arts Festival, which is to be held between June 13th (Wed) 2018 and the June 24th (Sun), we were able to try out Projection Trico, which was used to promote the game, The Last Guardian. Suspending the special discussion for now, we would like...

Thank you very much! Will read after.

OcelotUnit64

Jan 22, 2020
Just finished this for the first time after replaying Ico and Shadow of the Colossus for the first time since they came out. Absolutely loved it, Trico is such a wonderfully realised animal with so many little quirks and just like a real dog, sometimes it's tricky getting them to do what you want!

Also that score chefskiss.gif