• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say it's easily my favorite survival horror of this generation. It is to this gen what Silent Hill 2 was to the PS2.

I teared up hard here

Also this part of the intro was SO good

Jan 4, 2018
TEW2 was amazing and I really hope that TEW3 will happen, especially after this ending scene. Ghostwire Tokyo does absolutely nothing for me.

Stefano was a great antagonist.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I had a great time with it, but I wouldn't even put it in my top 10 of the gen. I liked the scrounging aspects of the open world stuff but the last 1/4 of the game takes a hard turn downward imo, but I did like the kinda-MGSV way you could approach encounters from any direction and plan your ambush

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I loved TEW1 but that game is fucking amazing.

I'm glad I was able to enjoy both games for what they are. I think playing TEW1 enhances your enjoyment of 2 and vice versa

jeremiah_johnson_nodding.gif

I teared up hard here

Same here. Gives me goose bumps every time. One of the best final chapters/gaming endings ever, imo.

Last edited:

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I played it right before The Last of Us Part II and Evil Within 2 was the better narrative focused third person zombie horror game with crafting elements for sure. Hope they make a third with a bigger budget.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It's probably the first horror game since maybe the old Silent Hill games to make me feel for the characters. The horror aspect is something most games can do well to varying degrees, but they tend to focus on that alone and often fail at making the characters feel human and relatable.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
i mean, i can see why people would support TEW2 but for it's NARRATIVE?

www.youtube.com

The Evil Within 2 | All Juli Kidman Cutscenes 【1080p HD】

This video contains all the cutscenes for the character Juli Kidman from the game, The Evil Within 2. Hope you enjoy.
Yes, it's the best written survival horror of its time.

I can also cherry pick scenes from Silent Hill 2 that are cheesy as fuck, god knows how many of them there are. It doesn't change the fact that it is still a tremendous. You're focusing on superficiality, in a horror game no less!

I invite you to read James Howell's essay on the game. He does an excellent way of showing how all the elements of the game participates to elevate its story and themes, and that includes the first game. http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/TEW2/MOF_TOC.htm

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017

www.youtube.com

This video contains all the cutscenes for the character Juli Kidman from the game, The Evil Within 2. Hope you enjoy.
I don`t necessarily agree with that opinion but one of TEW2s strengths is, that it knows, (Survival-) Horror can be cheesy and it embraces that.
That`s also why the emotional parts, the drama hits harder, imo.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Can't agree with you more OP. More people need to play this game, and it's easily in my top 5 of the generation. It's just outstanding in every way. I really hope we see a third one some day.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Game was quite a let down compared to the first, but even still it's the kind of ambitious horror game I wish there were more of on consoles. I'll probably give it a replay at some point, but I did find it to be a bit of a slog in the second half.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really really love this game. Glad you liked it OP!

Super excited for Ghostwire

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Rented this from Redbox, have it a couple of hours, and sent it back the same day. Just didn't like anything about it at all after enjoying the first game quite a bit.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it GOTG, but it definitely stands out as one of the more unique gameplay experiences of this generation! I need to replay it.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
A much better game.to play than TEW1, though the story is not as memorable.

I agree with OP that the game is great and worth to play.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

www.youtube.com

I'm definitely not about to tout EW2's story as one of the gens best but honestly I did really enjoy it. I enjoyed the cheesiness and schlock, I thought the ridiculous Kidman stuff at the end was a lot of fun and was actually surprised by how much heart the game had. I really cared about Sebastian and his family by the end of the game. I thought the ending was pretty damn great.

Jan 11, 2018
Currently doing my third playthrough since it's release. Absolutely gem of a game (as is the first). Just finished chapter 5, which is one of my favorites in the game.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it is possible with

Lily as a protagonist. No way she came out of STEM unscathed. And probably wants to go back to search for Myra.

I support this idea for a sequel.

Just please put in an arcade combat mode so I can jump in and kill stuff without having to sit through story stuff. TEW2's combat is so good, it's such a shame they didn't add a mode similar to terrorist hunt, horde, or RE's Mercenaries and Raid modes.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I support this idea for a sequel.

Just please put in an arcade combat mode so I can jump in and kill stuff without having to sit through story stuff. TEW2's combat is so good, it's such a shame they didn't add a mode similar to terrorist hunt, horde, or RE's Mercenaries and Raid modes.
A potential TEW3 is 100% going to be about Juli Kidman. She has a lot of unresolved plot points and she still has a connection with Ruvik

Jan 20, 2018
Well written OP, to me this felt like everything the first one should have been. Easily in my top 10 of horror game recommendations...

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I keep saying it every time TEW2 comes up...one of the most mind blowing final acts this past decade. It's just incredible.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I def wouldn't go that far, but it was cute considering the rest of what we had in the genre this Gen.

I'd say evil withing 2 was more unique so it earns some points for that. Last of Us 2 was a cliche (if well done) "vengeance is not worth it plot" while Evil Within 2 turns the common "innocent horror protagonist realizes that they were evil all along" trope and turns it on its head by having Sebastian, who blames himself for everything realize that he didn't do anything wrong and he has to let go of the guilt that he harbors

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
I had a hate/love relationship with the game, i hated it on console but i loved it on PC, it became one of my favorite games.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I loved it. I wish more of the game would have been open, explorable areas

both games are awesome in different ways, they fit well together imo

Oct 12, 2020
Aha! Yet another game to experience for the first time on Series X. Saw the boys at Digital Foundry give it some love on their Xbox Back Compat vid this morning.

My list of BC games to play for the first time on the XSX continues to swell....

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I'm playing it right now and I hate it.

I mean the open world chapters are really great and I wish that was the whole game. But I feel like actually playing the game sucks. FoV is WAY too close, shooting feels imprecise and clunky, moving feels the same, cover flat out doesn't work sometimes which makes it too easy to get spotted, not that it matters because enemies are dumb as hell and breaking line of sight often means you're stealthed again. Getting out of cover is a chore. Stealth movement is too slow to actually sneak up on enemies. Enemies do weird 180 turns as they move so it's difficult to actually predict when to stealth kill them. Some bosses are way too bullet spongey on Nightmare (just beat the Flamethrower), and the scripted segments are as boring as they were in TEW1.

I feel the best way to play this game is on the lowest difficulty just blasting everything. I love how scarce ammo is on Nightmare at it evokes the best feelings you get from classic RE games + RE2R, but it isn't worth the headache of finding all the cracks in this game's attempts at game mechanics.