• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Credits just finished rolling on The Evil Within 2.

I'm at a loss, this game is fucking amazing. Tango Gameworks absolutely out did themselves, after the great but rough Evil Within 1. Everything has been updated since TEW1, from the graphics, sound, core gameplay and plot. It is truly a rollercoaster ride of emotions, with not a single dull moment. I clocked in 16 hours so it didn't dragged for too long either.

I kept putting it on the back burner because I've heard that it was an open world and didn't feel like playing another open world game. But let me stress that this is absolutely not an open world game. It has two relatively open areas, but they're rather miniscule compared to true open world games, and a total of 3 side quests. So it is a fairly linear affair, but exploring these areas reminded me a little bit of Silent Hill to be honest.

I chose this game for 'Spooktober' and I cannot be more happy with my decision. I encourage you to give it a try.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I've yet to rock either titles, and I own them both! Maybe I should DL and see for myself.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Loved the game too, OP! You're making me want to replay it now. šŸ˜€

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That's some hyperbole but I really did love the game when I played through it at the start of the year. I absolutely put it up there among my favourites in the genre, which was a real nice surprise because I just didn't like the first game that much.

I'm excited to see what Tango do next and hope we'll get another TEW after Ghostwire.

nath999

May 7, 2018
Do I need to play the first one? I friend who also raves about it let me borrow the 2nd one but I haven't played it cause I thought I needed to play the first.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I played this game like 6 months ago and remember almost nothing about it except the creepy humming lady. Definitely wouldn't consider it GoTG, but the more people that get to experience it the better. It's a decent game.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Best survival horror game I've played since Alien Isolation, and one of my favorites of all time.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Do I need to play the first one? I friend who also raves about it let me borrow the 2nd one but I haven't played it cause I thought I needed to play the first.
Nah, you can definitely get away with just playing The Evil Within 2. Reading a synopsis of the previous game will give you a little extra context for Sebastian and Kidman's relationship with each other but the vast majority of the story is built around things told within the second game.

Smemma

Jul 10, 2020
I really loved this game - some of the more trippy moments were incredible. I was disappointed though that they ditched the burning mechanic from the first game - thought that was a great strategic twist

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Evil Within is my GOTY 2014 and part 2 is my GOTY 2017. Love both games a whole lot, warts and all. Mainly part 1 though. Part 2 is just so fucking sleek and well designed, it's hard to think of any warts.

Except the lack of any sort of arcade mode. Could have used something like Raid 2.0 in RE Revelations 2. The combat is just so much fun that it kinda sucks that I can only enjoy it by replaying the story missions.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wey, lo jugaste en consola???

cuando compre el series x lo wa rejugar pa ver como se ve

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Evil Within is my GOTY 2014 and part 2 is my GOTY 2017. Love both games a whole lot, warts and all. Mainly part 1 though. Part 2 is just so fucking sleek and well designed, it's hard to think of any warts.

Except the lack of any sort of arcade mode. Could have used something like Raid 2.0 in RE Revelations 2. The combat is just so much fun that it kinda sucks that I can only enjoy it by replaying the story missions.
I really need to replay TEW1 again, I also liked it a lot.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017

Leaving Noah Caldwell Gervais' excellent commentary about the games and Alan Wake's as well. Be warned that there are full spoilers for the games.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I still haven't played the first one, which i bought long ago,so I'm holding playing the sequel that is included on PSNow btw for those interested

Sora64

Mar 22, 2020
I'm glad you enjoyed it OP! I loved it and the first. These days I try not to look at much when it comes to gameplay videos/trailers so I can stay as spoiler-free as possible. So when I started the game, I didn't know it was open world. They handled it so well though. It's not a huge empty world but instead was big enough that felt like it made sense and also had a good amount of side content. The story is also so much better than TEW 1. It's such a fun ride and I highly encourage horror fans to try it out even if you didn't enjoy the first because they fixed so many things. Also the visuals and audio are so GOOD. Yeah, we need TEW 3, lol.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Open world kinda killed it IMO, not great at all. First game was pretty mediocre too so I wasn't expecting much.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
It's an all time classic survival horror game in my book, what a shame it was so overlooked. I hope time is good to it.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I loved it - way more than the first game. It and RE7 were the best AAA horror games this gen.

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to like TEW1 so much but every fiber of my being screamed in agony and right at the end I gave up and used cheat engine to quickly get through the rest of it (the DLC was OK-ish). TEW2 though was such a relief, a complete improvement across the board. Missed one fucking document though for full completion. I would gladly look forward towards a third if it continued off of the base gameplay of the second.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
Great game, but personally I felt it dragged at the end.... especially the enemy gauntlet and uninteresting final boss fight. The best parts came early on when I had to sneak around and then sprint to the nearest safe house if I was seen. There was a lot tension in those moments.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised how emotional the plot was, especially in the last handful of chapters. I would love a third game by the same director.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
After really disliking the first game, I waited until the sequel was on sale, and it was so much more of a fun experience. Loved it from beginning to end, and I also hope we get a sequel, even though it may be a change in lead character.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
wasn't crazy about the first game at all, but absolutely loved the second. Would absolutely love a third.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't connect with me around launch and I fell off it pretty fast, but I'm going to restart my playthrough on the Series X to take advantage of that 60fps mode.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm always a contrarian about this game. I think it dropped everything good about the first game and the writing was atrocious. It just ended up feeling so generic instead of leaning into the really good horror elements of the first game.
The boss fights sucked, and having them all become generic enemies on the pace-breaking open world maps sucked more. I'm glad it's dead now and tango moved on. What the first game needed was to be shorter and have the gameplay tightened up, instead they said nah let's add open world, expand the crafting, take out all the narrative focused mechanics like effective fire and add a succession of progressively less justified bosses. :S

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it last year and had it installed on my PS4 since then but haven't played it yet. I didn't like the first game and i think that might be the reason why i haven't started it yet. But i see lots of peeps online who liked the first game but did not like the sequel which gives me hope i might enjoy it maybe, because it seems to be quite different in many ways.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always a contrarian about this game. I think it dropped everything good about the first game and the writing was atrocious. It just ended up feeling so generic instead of leaning into the really good horror elements of the first game.
The boss fights sucked, and having them all become generic enemies on the pace-breaking open world maps sucked more. I'm glad it's dead now and tango moved on. What the first game needed was to be shorter and have the gameplay tightened up, instead they said nah let's add open world, expand the crafting, take out all the narrative focused mechanics like effective fire and add a succession of progressively less justified bosses. :S

Agreed with all of this. The sequel felt like it was trying too hard to be TLoU. The shooting mechanics were also horrible and punishable. WTF were they thinking with no ammo drops for enemies killed?

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Really really really loved this game, and has easily one of my favorite finales and conclusion.

Apr 19, 2018
I'm replaying the game again on PC, and I wish the port was optimized better. Has the game always stuttered this much at 60fps, even on powerful rigs?

I really liked that that the zombies stayed dead after you killed them

I didn't. After clearing them out of any given area, it made the open environments aspect of the game a lot less thrilling. Would have preferred some re-spawns here and there, even if it meant they didn't reward Green Gel.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Agreed with all of this. The sequel felt like it was trying too hard to be TLoU. The shooting mechanics were also horrible and punishable. WTF were they thinking with no ammo drops for enemies killed?
Really had to lean in to that expanded crafting system. I felt like when this game came out it was reaching for every popular western development trend in existence and really diluted the uniqueness of the first game's direction.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017

who need ammo, use smoke arrow and destroy a army with no problem. Hardest difficulty became a cakewalk halfway....

LV-426

Oct 29, 2017
One of the best games I played last year loved it and both games are amazing. I'm going to replay both of them on Series X and see if they play any better than they did on my PS4. Would love a next gen patch as well but I doubt that happens.

MS and Bethesda please have Tango make a 3rd game we need it!

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Atmosphere and enemies aside, I thought it was waaaaay better than the original.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
One of the more underrated games of the generation, imo. I know it wasn't horror enough for horror game fans, but as a noob I found it to be a rather fascinating game full of tense moments.

May 19, 2020
A moderately okay diet horror game with bad writing and half-baked open sections is your game of the generation? That's fine I guess.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I loved TEW1 but that game is fucking amazing.

I'm glad I was able to enjoy both games for what they are. I think playing TEW1 enhances your enjoyment of 2 and vice versa

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
after how disappointed I was with EW1, I was ready to hate this game- No mikami, open world, those weird bethesda talk segments

but I was blown away with how much I adored it. the open world was small and was packed with shit, including an amazing side quest that I was shocked wasn't mandatory and that you could skip it

it also made Evil within 1 better retroactively and I honestly recommend playing it despite how bad it is because it makes things in 2 hit harder