• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

drtomoe123

Nov 1, 2017
the Bay Area
So fate played its hand and I ended up downloading Sword and Fairy 6 during the current PSN sale for right under $8. I mention fate because I had spent last the week or two looking into Chinese RPGs for the first time. I had read up on this one a little (especially opinions about the game's performance, bugs, and translation) and had been eyeing a $35 copy from Hong Kong but wasn't sure if it was worth the money...lo and behold the game was on sale a few days later. While I wish I had a physical copy for the future, I couldn't resist being able to try out my first Chinese RPG for cheap...

First off, I really enjoy the battle system and the battle animations. I won't try to act like this is a great looking game as it really reminds me a lot of FFXI aesthetically for some reason, but I think it works and is actually pretty charming if you're a fan of PS2/PS3 era models. Some of the attacks look really striking, especially when all of your teammates are unloading attacks at the same time. It can be a little visually overwhelming but there's a lot of really awesome martial arts action under there. Definitely simple but once I got the hang of the battle system I found myself being able to get through battles pretty quickly and the Auto Battle feature is pretty competent (although I've heard some people say they have to reload the game to fix a bug with it sometimes...).

lm5hJNK.jpg

The story has been pretty "on the ground" from the beginning...after starting with a very "big picture" Chinese myth angle, my party of characters are all disconnected but obviously connected by that big picture myth, but for now we're all currently after a cult that's been kidnapping people. I've gone through a couple of dungeons, some overworld areas, and a few town/village locations. After playing FFXV, Like A Dragon, and Demon's Souls lately, it's kind of nice playing a relatively simple RPG again. I grind a little on roads, deserts, and trails, then go to the next town and upgrade equipment. Procedural for sure, but it helps me appreciate my slow increase in strength. Speaking of which, it's cool having the Meridian system which is a way of growing your character's stats like the Sphere/Ascension Grid in FF. You level up like normal with an increase in stats but you also get 'Souls' in battle along with money and XP that you can use to unlock new energy points on the Meridian grid. Once again, it's kind of simplistic but I'm kind of in the mood for that. We'll see how it goes as I continue...

One of the things about the story and characters that I've really liked so far is how everyone is still holding each other at arm's length -- the characters are all hiding important information from each other and are very intelligently cautious. In story scenes there are a lot of cool little moments where we see the inner thoughts of different characters while things are happening -- for example switching directly from Luo Zhaoyan's inner narrative to Yue Jinzhao's during the flow of a scene. I think all of the characters are interesting and visually appealing (if simple). The story and character development is what I'll be keeping an eye on during my playthrough since I'm excited to see what direction things take. I recently finished Final Fantasy XV for the first time a few days ago and it got me thinking about some of the bigger story beats and themes that are present in all the FF games (even if some things are drastically different across entries) and it made me wonder what kind of defining concepts are at the heart of the Chinese Paladin series...I'm excited to find out!

o51NroO.jpg

When it comes to performance and bugs, it's been a mixed bag and I can understand how it's a dealbreaker for some. The game's framerate is fluid and stable on the PS5 but I went ahead and tried out the game on my old base PS4 and it was such a striking difference...the game was chugging along and it felt so slow...so I've definitely been playing most on PS5 (I can only imagine how battle animations look on the base PS4...yikes). However, I've still run into a number of different bugs while on PS5 and I assume these are common across platforms...first I've lost a few hours of progress collectively from random freezes (especially when changing skillsets in battles), the worst being after long cutscenes or a tedious boss battle. I've gotten accustomed to saving pretty frequently and it helps that you can save anywhere. I also ran into a bug where my character got stuck in a wall while jumping. Luckily there's a 'reset character position' option in settings and it fixed that up... I've also read a few message board posts about some rough, potentially gamebreaking bugs later on in the game but people have found some workarounds by making a second save and skipping certain events, so I'll be paying attention to those moments as I get closer. Most of the freezes/problems have come and gone and while it's frustrating having to start over or regrind battles, I still find myself wanting to play regardless...

Lastly, the translation definitely doesn't deserve any awards but I've been able to follow along and at worst it just reads as being unprofessional (especially with easy typos like 'peach' instead of 'peace,' inconsistent grammar, and lots of improperly capitalized stuff). Still, I've paid way less attention to the problems as I go along.

QyBU2R2.jpg

Anyone else have any thoughts or opinions on this game? I have no idea how long it is or anything but I'm excited to keep playing. Anything to look out for? Games to check out next (preferably console with English? are there fan translations?)? Either way, definitely check it out on the PSN Sale if you're curious...

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I tried this for less than 30 minutes on a base PS4 a while back and I found it incredibly janky but I've been meaning to go back to it. Nice to hear that it's better on the PS5. I should really give it a fair shake.

One Chinese RPG on the PS4 which I did like was Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament. It ran like crap too, had some silly writing occasionally and was nothing super special but it had that classic JRPG feel that few games have these days. Might be worth looking up a few videos of if you're interested in more Chinese RPGs on PlayStation. I think it just got a sequel on the PS4 and PC too. It's part of a long running series but I didn't feel like there was something missing by just playing this one.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I played some of this off Steam and it wasn't bad. Gujian 3 is another game I would easily recommend to try out on sale, at least on PC.

Of course Tales of Wuxia is also there on Steam, but it is somewhat of a mess.

OP
OP
drtomoe123

drtomoe123

Nov 1, 2017
the Bay Area
I tried this for less than 30 minutes on a base PS4 a while back and I found it incredibly janky but I've been meaning to go back to it. Nice to hear that it's better on the PS5. I should really give it a fair shake.

One Chinese RPG on the PS4 which I did like was Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament. It ran like crap too, had some silly writing occasionally and was nothing super special but it had that classic JRPG feel that few games have these days. Might be worth looking up a few videos of if you're interested in more Chinese RPGs on PlayStation. I think it just got a sequel on the PS4 and PC too. It's part of a long running series but I didn't feel like there was something missing by just playing this one.

Giving it a fair shake is a great way to put it. I know it has some issues but it's been really refreshing to play a RPG that's a little more rooted in Chinese culture over something from Japan, America, or Europe since those are all I've played my whole life. Also, as someone with a little Japanese ability from living in Japan for a little bit, it's pretty awesome getting to hear Chinese spoken since I'm not used to it. It's very cool. Besides, the portrayal of the characters has really connected with me and I still can't not think of FFXI while playing because of the look and music -- so I'm finding a lot to enjoy.

Thanks for recommending the two English Xuan-Yuan Sword games on PS4. I had been reading around and saw Gate of Firmament and VII as some of my immediate options for further play and while I saw a lot of negative talk (especially about VII) my experience with Sword and Fairy makes me want to give them a chance -- even just for curiosity's sake! After reading that Chinese Paladin and Xuan-Yuan Sword are essentially the DQ/FF of Chinese RPGs, I've been interested in seeing what they're all about. Really, thanks for the suggestions and I hope you have a great time with this game if you get back to it. :)

I played some of this off Steam and it wasn't bad. Gujian 3 is another game I would easily recommend to try out on sale, at least on PC.

I really might open up to PC simply because there are so many more options for games like this (especially in English). Just watched some boss clips from Gujian 3 and it looks pretty awesome. Different combat but it looks fast and fun. The cutscenes looked a little more intense than Sword and Fairy, too. :)

Just looked up Tales of Wuxia and WHOA that looks like a beast of a game. Just read through a post on Giant Bomb forums suggesting it and it sounds like something I'd like to eventually try out, even if the translation is rough. Like I said, I don't play on PC much but I might start checking on these for sales and see what happens. Thanks for these suggestions!

Oct 28, 2017
Giving it a fair shake is a great way to put it. I know it has some issues but it's been really refreshing to play a RPG that's a little more rooted in Chinese culture over something from Japan, America, or Europe since those are all I've played my whole life. Also, as someone with a little Japanese ability from living in Japan for a little bit, it's pretty awesome getting to hear Chinese spoken since I'm not used to it. It's very cool. Besides, the portrayal of the characters has really connected with me and I still can't not think of FFXI while playing because of the look and music -- so I'm finding a lot to enjoy.

Thanks for recommending the two English Xuan-Yuan Sword games on PS4. I had been reading around and saw Gate of Firmament and VII as some of my immediate options for further play and while I saw a lot of negative talk (especially about VII) my experience with Sword and Fairy makes me want to give them a chance -- even just for curiosity's sake! After reading that Chinese Paladin and Xuan-Yuan Sword are essentially the DQ/FF of Chinese RPGs, I've been interested in seeing what they're all about. Really, thanks for the suggestions and I hope you have a great time with this game if you get back to it. :)

I really might open up to PC simply because there are so many more options for games like this (especially in English). Just watched some boss clips from Gujian 3 and it looks pretty awesome. Different combat but it looks fast and fun. The cutscenes looked a little more intense than Sword and Fairy, too. :)

Just looked up Tales of Wuxia and WHOA that looks like a beast of a game. Just read through a post on Giant Bomb forums suggesting it and it sounds like something I'd like to eventually try out, even if the translation is rough. Like I said, I don't play on PC much but I might start checking on these for sales and see what happens. Thanks for these suggestions!

If you know Chinese all of Heluo games works (Tales Wuxia, Presequel, Book of the Dragon) are quite amazing. I tried but could never finish Gujian, several Xuan Yuan games... but they are essentially JRPGs. Tale of Wuxia is a super ambitious game akin with WRPG with tremendous build variability like 5 endings with huge chunks of the game being different, a large challenge, tons of unique events tied to a calendar system. The only thing I dislike about it are the terrible mini games and the literal clock they place you under in some town sections. I think I'd compare it as a Personal game crossed with something like Pathfinder.

Biggest problem is that the translation doesn't suck. It doesn't even sound machine translated. It's WORSE. It is often incomprehensible, misleading or flat out untranslated. There was a huge content update with tons of new features and two whole new ending routes all untranslated. There's some rumblings of a fan transbut this is a very old game so I doubt it will be done.

Still! Tales of Wuxia the pre sequel (It's a prequel but assumes knowledge of the first game) is MUCH better translated. Clearly machine translated with a first past edit leading to a dry but competent translation that clearly communicates what is happening. No more time management and strangely plays like an old baldurs gate and even like a RPG metroidvania. Instead of a linear sequence you get a semi open map and multiple objectives to tackle in any order though difficulty tends to constrain your route. Character builds are much less complex but you get a full party, the story is quite amazing too. Hard to fully appreciate without the fist game.

Book of the Dragon is basically Wuxia Elder Scrolls. Full open world, an honest to God DND alignment system and the most robust character building complexity i have ever seen within games of its ilk. It is janky ( There's an actual programmed side quest that you can only trigger by glitches out of bounds... there is also a dedicated emergency position reset button) but not any worse than most post patch open world games. Its story is kinda so so but is standalone and has some really good moments. The developers clearly had a lot of fun with some of the evil options. In true open world fashion you can steal and fight everyone,and has attention to detail. There was this one boss I could not defeat no matter how hard I tried so I hatched a plan to steal his sword before a fight and every other time I had to fight him he still didn't have a sword. Its also crazy hard, by the end of most open world games you are God incarnate, I had done like all side quests and had what I thought was an optimal build but I had to try the final boss like 6 times. The ranslation is a DEEPL fan translation with an edit by a human. It is actually quite good with only name inconsistencies and few typos.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

Gujian 3 is fantastic. I discovered it in the Summer Steam sale and it actually pulled me completely away from Ghost of Tsushima, because I was too deep into the story of Gujian by that point. It is honestly in my short list for my personal game of the year mainly because I went in expecting a pretty dumpster fire and it turned out to be a surprisingly great game.

Xuan Yuan Sword 7 came out very recently on Steam, and while nowhere near Gujian levels I think it is also a pretty solid title, though it seems a little incomplete, and from the sounds of it they're planning on fleshing it out with DLC expansions in the future.

I really like Wuxia/Sword fantasy style stories having grown up on tons of Kung Fu movies, so now I am going to be constantly on the lookout for the next big Chinese RPG. I'm currently awaiting Faith of Danschant: Hereafter (from the makers of Gujian), and Sword and Fairy 7 as those both looked gorgeous in their reveal trailers.

Book of the Dragon is basically Wuxia Elder Scrolls.

Do you know if Tales of Wuxia the Pre-sequel and Ho To Lo Shu support controllers? It doesn't list it on their Steam Page, but I'm really interested in trying both out but I like to play these kinds of games on the couch not my PC.

Last edited:

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
These are like Eurojank to me. I love it. Don't think I have started Sword and Fairy yet but I own it and a handful of other Chinese and Taiwanese RPG's on steam. This reminds me how much it hurts that all the XuanYuan games are on ios but not translated...

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Gujian 3 is fantastic. I discovered it in the Summer Steam sale and it actually pulled me completely away from Ghost of Tsushima, because I was too deep into the story of Gujian by that point. It is honestly in my short list for my personal game of the year mainly because I went in expecting a pretty dumpster fire and it turned out to be a surprisingly great game.

Xuan Yuan Sword 7 came out very recently on Steam, and while nowhere near Gujian levels I think it is also a pretty solid title, though it seems a little incomplete, and from the sounds of it they're planning on fleshing it out with DLC expansions in the future.

I really like Wuxia/Sword fantasy style stories having grown up on tons of Kung Fu movies, so now I am going to be constantly on the lookout for the next big Chinese RPG. I'm currently awaiting Faith of Danschant: Hereafter (from the makers of Gujian), and Sword and Fairy 7 as those both looked gorgeous in their reveal trailers.

Do you know if Tales of Wuxia the Pre-sequel and Ho To Lo Shu support controllers? It doesn't list it on their Steam Page, but I'm really interested in trying both out but I like to play these kinds of games on the couch not my PC.
I don't think Tales of Wuxia and Pre-Sequel support controls per say, but you could probably do something with a Steam controller. Frankly I'd play them on keyboard, they are buggy enough without messing with controls :).

Overall though they give you "best feeling" of actually being in a Wuxia / Xinxia novel, IMO... minus the bugs.

Oh yeah, forgot about Xuan Yuan Sword 7, have that on my wish list. And yeah, was looking forward to Faith of Danschant (if it gets translated) and Sword and Fairy 7 (ditto).

Edit: Never heard of Book of Dragon. Going to have some time waiting for Cyberpunk to get fixed up anyways :P.

Last edited:

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Tales of Wuxia and Pre-Sequel support controls per say, but you could probably do something with a Steam controller. Frankly I'd play them on keyboard, they are buggy enough without messing with controls :).

Overall though they give you "best feeling" of actually being in a Wuxia / Xinxia novel, IMO... minus the bugs.

Oh yeah, forgot about Xuan Yuan Sword 7, have that on my wish list. And yeah, was looking forward to Faith of Danschant (if it gets translated) and Sword and Fairy 7 (ditto).

Edit: Never heard of Book of Dragon. Going to have some time waiting for Cyberpunk to get fixed up anyways :P.

Faith of Danschant: Hereafter even has an English dubbed trailer, so I think there's a really high likelihood it will be translated. Sword and Fairy has been shown off on the English Inside Xbox show too. Hopefully it will be day and date like Xuan Yuan Sword 7 was.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What are the best turn-based Chinese RPGs on Steam? Doesn't have to have an English localization.

Oct 28, 2017
What are the best turn-based Chinese RPGs on Steam? Doesn't have to have an English localization.

I can only comment on the few that I've played but I could shill for Heluo games all day, but their entire output is really quite amazing and I loved playing them despite knowing no Chinese and depending on an utterly abysmal translation.

But really I think Tale of Wuxia is by far the most unique of the bunch, it's janky but it's a really unique game that defies easy classification and is just filled to the brim with different gameplay ideas (many of which probably aren't all that great) but it feels so different from the standard RPG fare. In the interests of not writing an essay I'd say the best thing about Tale of Wuxia is how utterly divergent you can take your game state, and that's not just talking about different routes in the story or simple paragon/renegade like things. There's so many different ways you can build your character, probably only surpassed by games like Pathfinder or Divinity and the game is utterly unafraid of putting in countless little conditional events based on your character stats (of which there are like 20 stats like a princess maker game) and entire swathes of martial arts are restricted based on your earlier choices. It's a truly replayable RPG that actually gives you an incredibly different journey as you play. Although there's no Ironman mode the game is designed so that in the vast majority of circumstances losing doesn't end your game and you can continue to play, so there's room for self imposed "roll with the punches" type gameplay as well.

There's an Early Access game by Heluo that I haven't played yet (Path of Wuxia) that more or less seems to be a re-imaging of Tale of Wuxia. Form what I've seen it's basically Tale of Wuxia but higher production values and has an active fan translation community.

Also I have to mention Scroll of Taiwu. I played a few hours and didn't really get into it but it's crazy popular and probably as deep as you can ever get with an RPG being like 90% simulation game like Dwarf Fortress and 10% RPG. I've heard favorable comparison to King of Dragon Pass. It's the kind of game I don't think I can enjoy but I can see how so many people would fall in love with it, if you like sim-heavy games.

There's really not a whole lot of English translated Chinese RPGs that I can recall unfortunately, I've tried more or less any one I can find on Steam and bounced off alot of them. I got a wishlist full of untranslated Chinese games I'd love to try though.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, Tales of Wuxia and Pre-Sequel would probably be the best turn based Chinese RPGs on Steam. However, Tales of Wuxia has received a set of updates that I don't think are there in the Steam version? Not sure where you would get the "full" version.