• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I've never had much interest in the Star Wars series until a few weeks ago when I started (and finished) watching Clone Wars. When I heard Battlefront II was gonna be free on the epic games store, I had to give a shot.

And WOW.

BigCompassionateChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

The combat is fun, the maps are awesome and beautiful, you really feel like you're in a Star War, and dont even get me started on how well they managed to do the droids, troopers, and JEDI.

CraftyVigorousDunlin-size_restricted.gif

The jedi feel as strong as they should, but at the same time they aren't impossible to beat. Almost everyone in the chat is getting into the RP elements, calling each other "clankers" and "seppies", playing around the Generals, etc

AdorableWhoppingHorsemouse-size_restricted.gif

why on earth would they stop making content for this game? and why arent there more multiplayer star wars games?

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I had a lot of fun but didn't really like how Heroes just dominate everything. I get it, that's the point, but I kinda like the game more when they aren't around.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I had a lot of fun but didn't really like how Heroes just dominate everything. I get it, that's the point, but I kinda like the game more when they aren't around.

Yeah I agree. Heroes made me drop an otherwise stellar multiplayer experience. I think the higher cost units were obviously more powerful than the grunts but they didn't distort the flow of the game to the point you feel helpless because they spotted you.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
It would be a pretty good Battlefield-lite with a cool Star Wars coat of paint, unfortunately heroes will always make every single match completely uninteresting as soon as the initial five minutes have passed.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Run forward for 1-2 minutes, get killed almost immediately, wait to spawn, repeat for 30-40 minutes.

It looks and sounds great, but just a dab here and there does it for me with this game. There is a ton of content too.

I should check out the single player.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Yeah I agree. Heroes made me drop an otherwise stellar multiplayer experience. I think the higher cost units were obviously more powerful than the grunts but they didn't distort the flow of the game to the point you feel helpless because they spotted you.

It would be a pretty good Battlefield-lite with a cool Star Wars coat of paint, unfortunately heroes will always make every single match completely uninteresting as soon as the initial five minutes have passed.

Wait really? Is there matchmaking in the game? The heroes are strong and I definitely fear them but I don't really feel like they dominate the match and they certainly arent ruining my experience

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It is indeed pretty great.

Aside from being drastically outplayed by veteran players, nevermind the various stat bonuses they may have from their extended play (they do get access to higher numbers through perks but it's usually not substantial enough to completely throw off balance), it's pretty easy to get into and has absolutely fantastic audiovisual design that feels authentic Star Wars IMO.

Excellent just pickup and play multiplayer experience.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Wait really? Is there matchmaking in the game? The heroes are strong and I definitely fear them but I don't really feel like they dominate the match and they certainly arent ruining my experience

Keep in mind there's probably a massive wave of new players to the game precisely due to Epic's giveaway. Which also means I should probably install it and start learning before the player base becomes experienced again. :)

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Map design was pretty disapointing imho, and the visual actually felt like a downgrade from the previous game.
Heroes is the hand of good player could also make the experience pretty abyssal.

That being said I haven't played since the game release so things might have changed.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

It's a great game but yeah I have this issue. Playing as the heroes is always a double edged sword (a double bladed lightsaber HAHA) because they need to feel powerful but then you're just making everyone else feel shitty. I don't think there's a good way to balance them really. Also the upgrade system is very weird probably because it was supposed to be one way and then got reversed at the last minute. People with all the unlocks really outclass people just starting. I'd be curious to see what a potential Battlefront 3 looks like. Seamless space -> air -> ground combat is still the dream.

I also don't like them sanitizing the experience, Battlefield has the same issue. Let us fly the transports to the enemy ship or take off in the fighters. Hell, I want to lock my own s-foils in attack position. I don't want to want to watch a cutscene of them landing onto the enemy ship, that's like the most exciting part. I want to play the game! Remember in Battlefield 2142, when you were attacking the enemy Titan and you actually had to fly or launch pod up onto the ship? And then you had to run out before it exploded? It was exhilarating and cinematic but the player was in control! People still rave about the mode because of those things and I think they are desperately needed in today's shooters.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
On the maps that aren't chokepoint funnels of death it is a pretty good game. Unfortunately a healthy number of modes/maps encourage the funnel of death stuff.

The heroes versus villains mode is pretty fun though.

BratmanDu

Mar 27, 2018
I'll try the singleplayer but the multiplayer has too much shopping in the middle of a match for me.

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
(Allmost?) all the maps are sets directly taken from movies, which can be cool, but sometimes it feels like it's holding back better map design.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Is that the mode that released a year or so after the game released? I never tried that. If what you say is true, I need to get back in and give it a go.
Yeah it is. Basically it's played in rounds where the first half is like conquest and the second half is like a variation of galactic assault. It's not perfect but it's way better imo than just pure Galatic Assault which made me originally stop playing the game early on.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, it's a lot of fun. I still prefer the 6th gen Battlefront games, But the new Battlefront 2 is still a awesome game.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun mindless shooter, but too many of the maps are designed around chokepoints, and you're going to get stomped a lot by heroes and players who have all of their skills upgraded.

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
You have the Heroes Vs Villains ( 2Vs2 or 4Vs4) and the Coop Missions that are two of the best modes.

Space fights are easy but makes me dizzy as f

Excellent game to pass time. Shame, they could have added more characters.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I hate how most of the matches end up as both sides just across a field shooting at each other.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
When I play I feel like how well i'm playing almost never has any relation to how my team is doing. I compare this to like Battlefield 4, where i feel if I was really doing exceptionally well at any specific capture point, it could sway the game one way or the other, and that was with 64 players.

With battlefront (on PS4) with just 40 players and 12 bots I feel I have less of an impact.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Co-Op mode is amazing. Easily the best part because you can just play as your favorite character to your heart's content. Wished they could have supported more than just Clone Wars settings though.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I love this game! Even though my mate quit playing with me, I still find it enjoyable to play alone. I even installed it on the PS5.

(Allmost?) all the maps are sets directly taken from movies, which can be cool, but sometimes it feels like it's holding back better map design.

Absolutely. It would be great to have more verticality, buildings, etc.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up grabbing it from EGS even though I have it on the PS4, and damn I forgot how fun the game can be. Plus I love how many appearance options you have for the clones. Gotta rep the wolf squad

Jun 15, 2020
Love this game, especially once they added the 4 player co-op mode. Just fantastic fun, and eliminates the hero problem people are talking about.

Jun 15, 2020
As far as why they stopped adding to it, well, they;re making a Battlefield. And then, I bet they return to Battlefront and make it f2p and crossplay this time. Start with all the content from Battlefront II, then add in the maps from Battlefront I. Then start rolling in content from The Mandalorian, The Clone Wars, Rebels, Jedi Fallen Order, and all these Disney+ shows as they come.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I've had it for a while but redownloaded again due to more getting it on PC. So far I have not had issues finding games. Even at midnight AWST it was all good.

Having a load of fun and enjoying how good it looks and smooth it is; upgraded my GPU since last played.
Interesting, can't remember when or how I played it (may have been EA Play) but the bigger mode was entirely dead.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Well I'm Installing it on my series x from game pass now because of this thread.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I have a lot of fun with it now that the MTX are gone, but I do agree with the remarks that heroes completely unbalance the game. Now, I'm not that good at the game in general, but it's quite frustrating when for instance the opposing team has a bunch of players running around with Boba Fett, Grievous & Bossk that are just annihilating everybody in sight.

I also don't particularly enjoy the assault mode. It's weird, because it is in theory a fantastic mode, but games can take so goddamn long if both teams are equally matched. I once had a game that went: Won Ground Combat --> Lose on Capital ship --> Back to ground combat, other team wins --> They lose on capital ship --> Back to ground combat, etc. With every single of those rounds taking up to ten minutes it can get extremely repetitive.

Also, I seriously do not get why there is no map selection and why in Yoda's name not every map is available on every mode. For instance, it's impossible to play on the Crait map offline, due to that map only being available for certain online modes and in those modes it's just the luck of the draw. I managed to play on Crait TWICE and I've been almost exclusively playing the mode that the map is available for.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
It's my second most played game from last gen. I've sort of cooled on it over the last couple months, and I'm sick to fucking death of hopping on after being absent for a couple weeks and somehow always ending up on the outnumbered side, but I've got almost nothing negative to say about it.

I may hop on for a quick match after work today. Though I'm certain I'll be placed on the losing side automatically.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The heroes kill it for me, and they don't really add anything other than a couple of spawns where you're basically guaranteed to lose a fight every few minutes.

That being said, there's nothing as stupid as goddamn Bossk from the first one on this at least. I quit playing the first one solely because of that asshole.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
It's a really fun game and I play it every week. Heroes can also easily be defeated by three or four reinforcements if they work together. Only Bossk and Anakin are almost invincible on the ships.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
It's a really fun game and I play it every week. Heroes can also easily be defeated by three or four reinforcements if they work together. Only Bossk and Anakin are almost invincible on the ships.

Yeah ive gotta disagree with some of the complaints in here, 30+ hours so far and I dont feel like heroes are gamebreakingly strong at all

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup amazing game! I loved it. It definitely have its issues and it's still not as "fun" as the first Star Wars battlefront 2 (where he is the galactic conquest mode or something like that, this was so great to play) Yet, I think it's one of the best Star Wars game of the past 10 years. The post launch content was amazing, it's really dumb that EA dropped the game just before Mando season 2, clone wars season 8 and so on.

I really don't get why, as the game is still very popular on any platform. I love the PvE (coop mode) but I wish more options there (gametype etc.) and also that all vehicles were available in there like the AT-AT and vehicles could be drive with multiples people like in the past and not on rail for some of them.

I used to love starfighter but after Squadrons tho I can't go back to this gametype. Gameplay is too poor in comparison.

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
Can it be played single player (against bots)? I'd be into mindlessly slaughtering bots but not people that have been playing it for years