• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great watch. Season 1 can be a bit of a slog but it's at least as entertaining as TOS even at it's worst. Show is really sailing by it's third season. If you like it don't sleep on DS9.

I can't really agree with people that recc. The Orville. To each their own but I find the Seth Mcfarlane humor really off putting. The whole "my first officer is my ex wife" plot is really boring, honestly to the point that I find it almost insulting to the viewers intelligence. TNG and it's ilk are built upon taking topical matters and talking about them through sci-fi, but I also gotta say I found the trans episode extremely uncomfortable and it seems like Mcfarlane is just way out of touch with the world.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll add with season 1 there are really only 5 episodes you need to watch. Even then 4out of 5 are at least below average for the series.

Encounter at Farpoint for the intro and Q.

Naked Now so that one point in Measure of a Man sinks in.

Datalore. For obvious reasons to fans of the show.

Conspiracy for the fact that it was legit good.

Neutrel Zone because of one reference for later. But man this episode is bad.

you don't agree with Skin of Evil? It's a plot point that keeps resurfacing.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I think that's why people are able to look past that awful episode. Because it's so at odds with the tone and message of the rest of the show , and the way several cast members threatened to quit over it, and how they fired the director. It's such a black mark, though. I don't get the calls to see it, I don't see anything redeeming about it.

I would belive that more if the blonde haired blue eyed white people episode described as innocent and pure wasn't a few episodes later.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
rf7jdfsj9es92plqy5vt.png

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Yeah I edited afterwards. I'm legit embarrassed I didn't think of it especially after Rick Bernam and Denise Crosby's recent exchange.

Edit - It's wasted potential though even if it did finally give Tasha something, anything, to besides clench out her jaw... And push out tits... as she was told to do.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
If any of you newjacks skipped Measure of a Man, you should just quit now.

What an episode. Whew.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can't wait for Season 3. Sucks it's gonna be off TV, though. I like the Orville a lot. It's TNG 2.
It's just insane to me that it comes from the creator of Family Guy and Ted. Seth MacFarlane grew up, and I absolutely love it.

I don't want to derail a good TNG thread by gushing over another show, but I really feel like anyone who likes it owes it to themselves to give The Orville a chance.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
[QUOTE="Vincent Alexander, post: 22984333, member: 9428] tiny little thing I did not like in these episodes was how much Picard and crew were arguing that starfleet had learned from humanity's mistakes and were better people than from the past. They didn't try to argue with Q that they had problems, but they were mostly good. It was, "Nah. We're all angels now." It was...weird.
[/QUOTE]

Can't believe I missed this.

For Season 1 and 2 get used to that. The protagonist are smug as hell. Picard will at one point actually say that as "Shakespeare wrote as satire I say sincerely: In action how like an Angel, In apprehension how like a god,"

Midway through season 2 and onward they tone down the smug.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously for character development, it needs to be watched...but it's so bad otherwise. Just a lot of monologuing from an uninteresting villain. I say it unfortunately needs to be on a basic watchlist, lol.

Oct 31, 2017
I just finished season 7 of my first watch of TNG.

Seriously, what a crew. It's very hard to not love this main cast, for me.

Season one and two were obviously weaker but had some sweet Data episodes I really enjoyed earlier on. More than one outright bad episodes in those seasons though, specifically the African like aliens and the perfect angelic aryan people episodes; fucking yikes.

Now I'm starting DS9, the TOS remasters and watching the TNG films. I have to credit Discovery for making me fall in love with and finally "get" Star Trek. I remember being a kid in the 90s being told I would get it one day when I am older and it finally happened.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[QUOTE="Vincent Alexander, post: 22984333, member: 9428] tiny little thing I did not like in these episodes was how much Picard and crew were arguing that starfleet had learned from humanity's mistakes and were better people than from the past. They didn't try to argue with Q that they had problems, but they were mostly good. It was, "Nah. We're all angels now." It was...weird.

Can't believe I missed this.

For Season 1 and 2 get used to that. The protagonist are smug as hell. Picard will at one point actually say that as "Shakespeare wrote as satire I say sincerely: In action how like an Angel, In apprehension how like a god,"

Midway through season 2 and onward they tone down the smug.
[/QUOTE]
That's about when Roddenberry lost control and influence on the show.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Currently on S6 on my rewatch and show really is starting to lose some steam in this season. I barley get one episode down per week. It has some great episodes like Chain of Command p1&2 and Ship in a Bottle (I usually loath holodeck episodes, but always liked this one). Schism was spooky as well, loved it when I was a kid, reminded me of all the cool UFO shit that was in pop culture back in the day. I remember Frame of Mind being great as well, Riker episodes are great when they torture him a bit. Reminds of O'Brien episodes from DS9. I also like The Chase even tho it's bit silly, same with Suspicion where Crusher gets to play detective. But still, some really awful episodes in this season... Fucking Rascals.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yup. Let's be glad for that as well. I still shudder when I read the story about what he was going for with the Ferengi originally before he was told to tone it down.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Rascals isn't horrific its just uninspired and not as either serious or silly as it needs to be.

It should have either gone all-in on how horrifically it is for the people who are affected. Or gone all in on how silly the situation was. Instead of just skirts the line thinking that its premise will make it funny.

And it's placement next to the actually good and silly episode Fistful of Datas hurts it even more.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
Not gonna lie, I've always been curious about jumping in. The Expanse doesn't come back til December, I think this thread has inspired me to begin this series over the weekend lol

First time for me, tho I have caught random episodes here and there. Not that I remember, since it's been over a decade. I'm excited lol

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Not gonna lie, I've always been curious about jumping in. The Expanse doesn't come back til December, I think this thread has inspired me to begin this series over the weekend lol

First time for me, tho I have caught random episodes here and there. Not that I remember, since it's been over a decade. I'm excited lol
If you are looking something more story driven then you might want to watch DS9 first (helluva slow build up, but it's worth it)... Or B5. But TNG is essential scifi so might as well get it out of the way.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
If you are looking something more story driven then you might want to watch DS9 first (helluva slow build up, but it's worth it)... Or B5. But TNG is essential scifi so might as well get it out of the way.
DS9 is def on my list, loved the few episodes I have seen. I wanna start with TNG then evolve into DS9, is that bad thing?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'll add with season 1 there are really only 5 episodes you need to watch. Even then 4out of 5 are at least below average for the series.

Encounter at Farpoint for the intro and Q.

Naked Now so that one point in Measure of a Man sinks in.

Datalore. For obvious reasons to fans of the show.

Conspiracy for the fact that it was legit good.

Neutrel Zone because of one reference for later. But man this episode is bad.

Edit - Forgot about Skin of Evil which is decent but has alot of wasted potential.

My S1 watch list is:

Encounter at Farpoint
The Naked Now
Where No One Has Gone Before (I recommend the TOS book it's based off, "The Wounded Sky" if anyone liked it, it's way better)
Hide and Q
Datalore
Home Soil
Arsenal of Freedom
Skin of Evil
Conspiracy

Either good/great eps or ones that get referenced.

Datalore is the dirt worst though

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I'm going to disagree with the people who are saying to skip episodes in the first two seasons. They're right to say those episodes are bad, but I'd say they're also fundamental to appreciating TNG for what it really is, and beneficial for appreciating how much the show grows and evolves over the seasons.

Also, Picard is such an amazing, and amazingly well-acted, character that even the weakest episodes are carried on his shoulders. Don't skip.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for you to experience Deep Space 9 for the first time after you finish TNG :)

I'm currently nearing the end of season 4 of TNG myself and been desperately hoping for an announcement of a DS9 remaster before I'm done. I know, there's very little reason to believe it will happen at this point but I would love my first DS9 watch to be in glorious HD with redone special effects too.

Or I might end up picking up the DVD set because from my experience old SD shows look better on DVD than on streaming.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to disagree with the people who are saying to skip episodes in the first two seasons. They're right to say those episodes are bad, but I'd say they're also fundamental to appreciating TNG for what it really is, and beneficial for appreciating how much the show grows and evolves over the seasons.

Also, Picard is such an amazing, and amazingly well-acted, character that even the weakest episodes are carried on his shoulders. Don't skip.
Yeah, I agree with this 100%. Even on my rewatches I try to catch every episode there is (...even Rascals) but first timers should see every episode imo. Also early episdoes show glimpses into the characters they will eventually be. It's interesting see the show evolve.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm currently nearing the end of season 4 of TNG myself and been desperately hoping for an announcement of a DS9 remaster before I'm done. I know, there's very little reason to believe it will happen at this point but I would love my first DS9 watch to be in glorious HD with redone special effects too.

Or I might end up picking up the DVD set because from my experience old SD shows look better on DVD than on streaming.

It's fine on Netflix. I actually did the same, being new to Trek. We started with TNG on Netflix which was remastered, and going to SD DS9 was jarring to say the least. Still, you get used to it, and the visual effects, particularly the space battles, still hold up. In fact, DS9 has my favorite space battle across all media that hasn't been beaten today imo.

Edit to add, I don't think they should remaster the VFX. You know they'll just add more shit in, George Lucas style :)

Funny Face

Dec 5, 2017
Whenever people mention their favorite episodes from Season 2, they almost never bring up Peak Performance. It's a really fun episode, and...

1. It has some great "soul" searching by Data.

2. The Picard/Data dynamic is in full effect:
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.
3. Riker and Worf are awesome, as usual:
Commander William T. Riker: You're outmanned, you're outgunned, you're outequipped. What else have you got?

Lieutenant Worf: Guile.
4. It has a top 10 ending for a TNG episode:
Lt. Commander Data: I was playing for a standoff, a draw. While Kolrami was dedicated to winning, I was able to pass up obvious avenues of advancement, then settle for a balance. Theoretically, I should be able to challenge him indefinitely.

Doctor Pulaski: Then you *have* beaten him.

Lt. Commander Data: It is a matter of perspective, Doctor. In the strictest sense, I did not win.

Counselor Deanna Troi, Doctor Pulaski: Data!

Lt. Commander Data: I busted him up.
Elementary, Dear Data is also really good, and of course leads into the even better Ship in a Bottle from Season 6.

Also, not Season 2 related, but Lower Decks is not only a great episode, but it also has one of my favorite lines of the series when Lavelle says that he bets Riker sleeps in his uniform. It's such a great perspective considering we, the audience, have been getting to know Riker for seven seasons and know that he definitely does not sleep in his uniform. Quite the opposite, in fact, as Riker has a lot of varied interests outside of Starfleet and his position on the ship.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vincent Alexander
Oct 26, 2017
It's great to see how many people love this show and what it's meant to them. For those considering watching for the first time, maybe it will help to know that Battlestar Galactica and The Expanse are two of my favorite shows of all time. And even though I'm re-watching The Expanse right now, and it couldn't be more different than TNG, I can truly say that The Next Generation is still enjoyable, even watching it back-to-back with The Expanse.

Episode 4: Code of Honor
The Enterprise travels to Ligon II to obtain a rare vaccine needed to avert a plague on another planet. The Logonian leader kidnaps Tasha as part of the traditions of his planet. Eventually she is forced to fight a battle to the death with the wife of the leader in order to gain her freedom and the vaccine.
I don't even know what to think about this episode. As I was watching, I asked myself what the writers were going for. What was this episode about? What were they trying to get across? And why oh why did they feel it important to have Natasha not once, but twice, admit that she found her captor attractive? Yeah, this one wasn't great. When the credits rolled, I found myself shaking my head in confusion.

Episode 5: The Last Outpost
A Ferengi vessel steals an energy unit from a Federation base and the Enterprise pursues. Both ships are rendered immobile as they pass an unknown solar system. Believing each other responsible for the immobility, they discuss surrender. Meanwhile, an Enterprise probe discovers that a force-field on the nearby planet is actually responsible and a joint expedition of Ferengi and Federation personnel, beam down to explore. They encounter a mysterious being known as Portal who presents them a test.
The Next Generation crew is straight up a No Fucks Given crew. This episode opens with the Ferengi turning on the Enterprise and blasting it. Twice. And how does Picard handle it? Cool as a cucumber, just watching the Ferengi ship as if he were watching a pot of water boil, waiting to put his macaroni in. Picard's back-and-forth with the Ferengi on the communicator was good. Knowing nothing about that race from this show, I felt the episode did an overall really good job introducing them. But my favorite part of the episode was when Picard was visiting Beverly. Their ship was low on power, and I assume oxygen running out as well. We see Beverly checking in on children in the darkness of the ship, then we have this exchange:

Picard: "Where's Wesley?"
Beverly: "He's in our quarters. I was tempted to give him a sedative"
Picard: "You shouldn't.
Beverly: "I know, but he's my son. I love him."
Picard: "He has the right to meet death awake."
Beverly: "Is that a male perspective?"
Picard: "Rubbish."

I was distracted by supper so I wasn't sure what was going on with the old man they found on the planet who challenged them to a fight, and wasn't entirely sure who he was. But I loved him challenging Riker to a fight, and Worf stepping forward: "No! For battle, come to me!" Worf's delivery there was aces. He got that deep growl in his voice, and I was like, "Dayum. I wouldn't want to fight that."

My only question so far: what is up with Picard not liking children, or rather, being uncomfortable around them? They brought that up episode 1, and have shown him be snappy with Wesley in another episode. I'm curious if there is something more there, or what was up with that.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what to think about this episode. As I was watching, I asked myself what the writers were going for. What was this episode about? What were they trying to get across? And why oh why did they feel it important to have Natasha not once, but twice, admit that she found her captor attractive? Yeah, this one wasn't great. When the credits rolled, I found myself shaking my head in confusion.
we TRIED to save you.
my personal theory is that they wanted to put the female security chief in a position where she would have to fight, to try to show that she got the job on merit.

everything else just sucks.
My only question so far: what is up with Picard not liking children, or rather, being uncomfortable around them? They brought that up episode 1, and have shown him be snappy with Wesley in another episode. I'm curious if there is something more there, or what was up with that.
/shrug
He isn't a family man because he is married to his ship, like any GOOD captain. Also it gives him some room for minor character development as he learns to tolerate children. Also we laugh when he is stuck babysitting because we all feel inferior and secretly want to poke him a little. You know what I mean!

OP
OP
Vincent Alexander
Oct 26, 2017
we TRIED to save you.
my personal theory is that they wanted to put the female security chief in a position where she would have to fight, to try to show that she got the job on merit.

everything else just sucks.
Here is the problem: WAY too many of you warned me about this episode. If like...3 of you did? I'd maybe have considered skipping it. But as the numbers grew, it turned into one of those leftover supper, tupperware scenarios. You know, when you go to clean your fridge, find leftovers from 6 weeks ago, and instead of throwing out the 50 cent container with the abomination growing inside just so you can be done with it, you instead crack it open to look and get a whiff of what's inside, and nearly die in the process? That was Code of Honor.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Here is the problem: WAY too many of you warned me about this episode. If like...3 of you did? I'd maybe have considered skipping it. But as the numbers grew, it turned into one of those leftover supper, tupperware scenarios. You know, when you go to clean your fridge, find leftovers from 6 weeks ago, and instead of throwing out the 50 cent container with the abomination growing inside just so you can be done with it, you instead crack it open to look and get a whiff of what's inside, and nearly die in the process? That was Code of Honor.
Are you old enough to have seen the Saturday Night Live skit of "sounds awful, let me try it"?
Stop being interested in the horrible! We can still save you from Masks, and Angel One! Although you have to see Sub Rosa. No explanation is enough for that one.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
DS9 is sort of a semi-sequel to TNG so you should watch that first. DS9 is much darker overall but, speaking personally, it's my favourite Trek.

I really love you how you can see the roots of the Battlestar reboot in DS9. You can practically feel Ronald D. Moore chafing against the limitations of utopian Star Trek in the ways he tried to introduce a lot of moral ambiguity to the Federation ideal.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Do you guys have like a list of what episodes to watch?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THEN THERE'LL BE NO TASHA YAR, AND NO VACCINE! 🤣🤣🤣
For TNG ? I'd say watch all of it. While yes there are a lot of episodes, there's no rush, as Picard isn't out till next year. So you can take your time.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

An important thing about this show is that while it is primarily an episodic experience, later episodes in the series call back to previous episodes. It's not just a key element for good character development, but there's also just some little details and events that are referenced here and there throughout the entirety of the show.

I would suggest you watch them all. Are they all good? Certainly not, but the characters and the sense that you've come to watch them grow through good times and bad is worth it, especially with this crew.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
For the first two seasons, follow any of the reddit must watch lists. From S3 onwards, watch all of them.

Oct 31, 2017
I say watch all of the episodes. Even at its worst (and there are some pretty poor episodes), TNG is still pretty good. And the low points just make the high points that much higher.

I've been thinking of rewatching the show for awhile. I slowly went through it all in my college days a few years ago now and it became one of my absolute favorite TV shows. I meant to watch DS9 afterwards and even started watching it after so many people recommended it, but I fell off after a few episodes and never continued.

For me, I actually liked Season 1 pretty well. I liked the kitsch-y, almost dream-like atmosphere of the first season and I actually didn't enjoy S2 quite as much, even if there are a bunch of strong episodes in it and that's when Riker "grows the beard".

S3 - S6 contain some of the best episodes of tv ever I think, with S7 being pretty weak overall and probably my second least favorite point in the show. You could tell the creatives were really running on fumes by that point, but at least the show ends on the incredible "All Good Things".

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Once you're finished watching all the eps, watch the Gazorra TNG edits on youtube.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

It's just a character trait they added to bootstrap a new character's personality. It gets sanded down and given a much more nuanced view in later episodes.