• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
DS9 was the Star Trek (after the original TOS, which I saw a couple of years ago) I least remembered thoroughly. I knew what happened and remember a lot of the late-Dominion plot, and I even had the Technical Manual to geek over when I was a kid, but I didn't actually see a lot of the series. Not like TNG; or VOY later.

So, I'm deeply enjoying the experience with DS9 right now on my Star Trek rewatch with my boyfriend (who didn't grow up watching Star Trek and only started because of me).

But there have been some rough spots, especially in S1 where the show literally didn't know where to go because they were stuck on DS9 and only a couple of Runabouts for adventuring. There was, however, one truly dreadful S3 episode "Meridian" where Jadzia falls in love, very unconvincingly, with a man from a planet that disappears every couple of years into another dimension. Then there was this episode where Quark accidentally kills a Klingon and gets entangled in Klingon politics and marriage.

Anyway, besides those bumps, the show is picking up speed slowly and I'm halfway through S3 and I can already see the beginnings of the great DS9 I remembered for decades before my rewatch.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it the other day and ... gah, I dunno. I liked it enough because the best episodes are all right towards the end, but to quote myself after the last episode "well, that was barely worth it" I dont have well thought out arguments yet, but so far Im thinking that without a top tier actor like Patrick Stewart to lead the show, a lot of the the "its so bad its good" from TNG becomes "just bad"

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Was thinking about this ep recently so had a rewatch of 'The Homecoming', It's a great ep, and three parter overall. But wow that scene where Kira and The chief break into the POW camp and liberate (some of) the inmates is amazing. It somehow feels very non trek (compared to TNG) but yet totally trek - such a breath of fresh air to see it filmed outdoors and it just works.

I really miss DS9.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
And it's a wrap.
The 7th season was overall rather good minus the forced Dukat stuff, that was just bad. The ending was also not very satisfying even if they "resolve" it. It was a bittersweet ending and I will miss those characters a lot.
I am sad we did not get to explore more Ezri (or have Jadzia for the final season), that was a bit of a misstep. Still need to gather some thoughts

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Sisko update: I just finished season 3 and started season 4, and he's suddenly great.

Like others have said, the change can be seen when he grows a beard, but that coincides with him returning from a trip to Bajore where he went to do some archaeology or look at artifacts or something like that. Something about the trip excited him, and after he gets back to DS9 he's a lot more loose with the other characters.

But then in "The Visitor" (I think) he briefly picks up those mannerisms again, though only when he's talking to the Starfleet colonel.

So it seems like a purposeful character shift between a "before and after" that makes me think differently about the first couple seasons. In my mind, it's because Sisko tries hard at the beginning to act the part of a captain despite feeling reluctant or out of place. Then he starts to welcome the position and responsibility, and his manners change alongside that sense of comfort. But I don't know if this is just in my head. Are there any interviews or documentaries about the series that explain the change in character?

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, that looks very cool. I'll have to wait until I've finished, but I'll keep it in mind.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Best show. Best Captain.

Sisko is also the only character to be in every single episode (I don't think that is true of any character on the other long running treks either). Avery Brooks also directed some of the more important episodes.
Picard and Riker were in every episode of TNG

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Started rewatch last week. Currently at S3 Ep 18 and some things I was immediately reminded of:

Kira and Dax constantly focus of some horny fucker and the inappropriate comments and behavior they have to endure.

Bashir only turned 30 in S3 episode 17. Wtf???

Sisko giving people the business every few episodes. The expressiveness of it all. Dude just goes hard. I love it.

Bunch of other things but I don't want to write an essay. Great fucking show.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I powered through 6 seasons but never finished the final season. I really need to get back and watch it.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Lmao I'm on the one where they go back to the time of the OG Star Trek. The switching between the original footage and DS9 is so bad.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite Trek, more so now than ever before. Rock-solid ensemble cast. Thoughtful scripts. Good mix of one-offs and arc episodes.

Everyone knows the good episodes (Duet, Moonlight, Visitor, blah blah blah). Here are episodes that are underrated IMO, or at least deserve more love:
  • Progress (A low-key version of Duet, really.)
  • Necessary Evil (Trek noir executed to perfection.)
  • Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast (Put Odo and Garak together and magic happens. Best two-parter in Trek history IMO. Sorry Best of Both Worlds.)
  • Homefront (Scarily prescient for 1996.)
  • Return to Grace (Dukat and Kira dynamic played out at its best.)
  • Nor the Battle to the Strong (Best war episode Trek has ever made. Edges Chain of Command for me, and better than Siege AR558)
  • The Ascent (I'm a sucker for Quark and Odo bickering. This one is the best of em.)
  • Rocks and Shoals (Both the A and B plots are absolutely riveting.)
  • Once More into the Breach (Such a good Klingon story, with a legendary ending.)
  • Tacking into the Wind ("Yeah, Damar, what kind of people give those orders?" Most satisfying episode in the finale arc)

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I didn't care much for Picard season 1, but I would love to see them meet again and have some kind of reconciliation.

I always understood that was a hard "no" as part of the character, and why Picard could never show up on the series again. This conflict between his "Starfleet Officer" self and the hard edge that comes from surviving Wolf 359 and losing his wife there. He's enough of a 24th century human to obey the chain of command, take the order from Picard, hell, even raise his son on a way-too-dangerous space station. But forgive the guy and have a cup of tea? Hell no. And that edge is what makes him convincing running essentially a pirate den in the middle of a religious war. Picard is great but you won't live long on moral arguments in this environment; you need a strong personality that can play the other strong personalities (such as Kira and Dukat) off of each other.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Best Trek. Garak, Damar, Kira, Dax, just so many great characters with real depth and development.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
What?

It's pretty good for when it was made, and it still looks good today.

Actually I did notice some scenes looked good after that. There were a couple where it was just not so great.

Also I'd forgotten what a whiny bitch Worf is when he and Dax first start dating. That episode where they go to Risa is painful in spots. And the story about him killing a kid in a soccer game going for a header, lol.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Actually I did notice some scenes looked good after that. There were a couple where it was just not so great.

Also I'd forgotten what a whiny bitch Worf is when he and Dax first start dating. That episode where they go to Risa is painful in spots. And the story about him killing a kid in a soccer game going for a header, lol.
Worf is whiny period. In all episodes and all Trek.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

Between Worf's whining, the constant fanservice, and the megalomaniac villain who wants to take control of the weather system and ruin everyone's fun, that episode is basically the Star Trek equivalent to a JRPG.