• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This show starts terribly but ends great; it's occasionally hard to recommend because the pilot is so bad it takes some faith to get people to stick with it.

This and HBO's Rome are usually easy cross-recommendations. It's not guaranteed if you like one, you'll like the other, and there's a lot about the shows that feel different, but there's just something about them I find complimentary.

OP
OP
cognizant

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Has anyone seen Brittania? That's the only other modern show about Romans that I'm aware of, also on the backlog. The old Romans are not much in vogue these days, even finding a movie set in the Republic era is hard, most movies from the last twenty years are set in the era of emperors.

It blows my mind how we don't have biopics of Caesar, Augustus, or even Hannibal. Rome's conflict with Carthage would be incredible, three generations of two families battling each other during three wars. WTF is Hollywood doing sitting on its ass, make these movies and TV shows already!

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
It starts quite bad, but it only goes up from there until the very final episode, becoming an incredible show that has been criminally underrated all these years. Prequel series is also really, really good.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
Has anyone seen Brittania? That's the only other modern show about Romans that I'm aware of, also on the backlog. The old Romans are not much in vogue these days, even finding a movie set in the Republic era is hard, most movies from the last twenty years are set in the era of emperors.

It blows my mind how we don't have biopics of Caesar, Augustus, or even Hannibal. Rome's conflict with Carthage would be incredible, three generations of two families battling each other during three wars. WTF is Hollywood doing sitting on its ass, make these movies and TV shows already!

You seen HBO's Rome yet? Follows Caesar and Augustus a bit but it's mostly historical fiction.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

We watched one ep of Britannia and it was so bad we gave up.

Have you seen Roman Empire on Netflix? It's part documentary, but with proper sets and actors etc. so it looks really good. 3 seasons covering Caesar, Caligula and Commodus, and you can watch the seasons in any order.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched this a few months ago, and it's easily one of my favourite tv shows of the past decade, don't think I've ever hated a single character as much as I did Ashur, what I loved the most though is how at the surface the show seems to be an exploitation series, filled with male gaze and hedonistic sex scenes, but it actually flips all these themes and does a tremendous job exploring stuff like male toxicity and equality. Great show.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
One of my favourite shows and the Showrunner Steve DeKnight was also the Showrunner for Daredevil S1. This and Black Sails were the most underrated shows of the last decade to me. You don't have a lot of shows Rebound after having to recast their main lead BUT THEY PULLED IT OFF.

OP
OP
cognizant

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

Have you seen Roman Empire on Netflix? It's part documentary, but with proper sets and actors etc. so it looks really good. 3 seasons covering Caesar, Caligula and Commodus, and you can watch the seasons in any order.

It's on my backlog, but I've read that it's very inaccurate, which I wouldn't mind if it were fiction, but it presents itself like a documentary with reenactments, which is an issue to me, especially as I've read so much about the era by now that inaccuracies would bug me a lot.

I started the Spartacus miniseries today. Episode one thoughts:

Batiatus and his wife look so young! Good job makeup team.

Didn't take five minutes before he was cursing like a sailor, and "Solonius!"

The new hotshot gladiator looks like Colin Farrell.

I didn't recognise Ashur at first, that little weasel.

"Words fall from you mouth like shit from ass" :D :D :D

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017

Britannia instantly gets better on the 2nd episode. I'd recommend trying it again. Still it's not on the level of a show like Spartacus, but it's certainly better than that 1st episode would suggest. I'd probably put it around Vikings level. Not great, not bad, it's okay with at least one really good character if not more.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the next show we're watching after The Expanse and The Witcher.

Can't wait, because sex scenes tend to increase the likeliness of my wife banging me.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I miss this show... why aren't there more naked gladiator shows? Life is unfair.

OP
OP
cognizant

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
This is the next show we're watching after The Expanse and The Witcher.

Can't wait, because sex scenes tend to increase the likeliness of my wife banging me.

haha. The sex scenes get more elaborate as the season goes on I think. There was one that felt like a music video, slo-mo, grand music, opulent background, sexy ludicrous attire, you will know exactly what I'm talking about when you get to it lol...

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's on my backlog, but I've read that it's very inaccurate, which I wouldn't mind if it were fiction, but it presents itself like a documentary with reenactments, which is an issue to me, especially as I've read so much about the era by now that inaccuracies would bug me a lot.
[Roman Empire] That's a valid complaint. I don't know if overall it's very inaccurate, but there are certainly parts of it that way, so I totally get where you're coming from there. We still found enough that was interesting and enjoyable, despite that.

Camwi In case you missed the post, Spartacus leaves Netflix in about 4 weeks, and there's 4 seasons.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Great show.

You really have to give it to the actors. So many absolutely absurd lines of dialogues and yet they were able to sell almost all of them. Some of the dialogue seems like it was written by Vince McMahon. Not every actor can pull off saying Jupiter's cock. Hannah and Lawless were so good in this show.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Give yourself over to the Queen, OP

5pTXzrY.jpg

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
You don't "watch" Spartacus. You let it's warm waters of cock, ass and gore wash over you like giant waves.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched the entirety of this show over the past year, and I absolutely love it. It's one of my all time favorite television shows.

A lot of people rag on Jai Courtney as an actor, but I thought he was excellent in Season 1 of Spartacus. Varro was a great character, and integral to Spartacus' arc later in the season.
Yeah, I love him. The haters have never seen Spartacus, I guess
Great timing, I'm starting E2S3! Been binging this for a week and a half and it so so good. It's scratching the same itch as Black Sails with the characters, politics and the notion of everyone could die at any moment. Getting a little fatigued so will give it a couple of days before continuing but great to hear S4 is good! Going from the worst CGI in S1 to better CGI and awesome scene transitions in the prequel was very good.

God I need a rewatch. I can't believe how bad it starts, but once they get to the Pits, it's fucking amazing.
Dialogue is top tier. Their affectation is so ridiculous, but Hannah plays it straight to perfection.
Based Gannicus and can't forget my man Onemaus. Great stuff.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
God I need a rewatch. I can't believe how bad it starts, but once they get to the Pits, it's fucking amazing.
Dialogue is top tier. Their affectation is so ridiculous, but Hannah plays it straight to perfection.
Based Gannicus and can't forget my man Onemaus. Great stuff.
"Capua shall *I* begin?" is when the show really kicks off. Episode 5. I still can't believe the lines Hannah delivers, I mean if you look at him in Four Weddings, The Mummy etc., then he's doing this.

Shout out to Katrina Law too. I was sad to see she was recently relegated to Hallmark Hell, where actors go to die, but she somehow escaped that and is now a regular in Hawaii Five O, although this may be its last season.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Still sucks Starz never moved onto either Incursion or that spin-off.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I see a thread of someone discovering Spartacus I get excited and go for a rewatch.
I need to cram the rest of this show into this month because apparently it's going off Netflix UK on the first of February!
Nooooo. Netflix can't take Spartacus away from me like that. "You spread cheek only to place cock in arse"

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
One of the finest series of television ever made. It just builds and builds and builds and the season finale is just jaw dropping.

The rest of the series is amazing too, I'm blown away what they were able to do with the prequel season and then the final two seasons. Just the fact that they wrapped the story up instead of extending it with bullshit, super impressed.

Also Crassus was awesome.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[Roman Empire] That's a valid complaint. I don't know if overall it's very inaccurate, but there are certainly parts of it that way, so I totally get where you're coming from there. We still found enough that was interesting and enjoyable, despite that.

Camwi In case you missed the post, Spartacus leaves Netflix in about 4 weeks, and there's 4 seasons.
I did miss that, thanks.

me asking my wife if she wants to watch 50 shades again.
this.jpg
lol

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember, they are fake. Those are prosthetic penis.

Yeah, the super hung examples were all prosthetics, though not all the male full frontal nudity was. Still had far more real male nudity than... any other show I can think of. Ahead of its time with equal opportunity, in that regard.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Loved this show, one of my favourite finales too.

The correct viewing order is absolutely the release order, for anyone wondering. S1 then Prequel then S2 then S3.

This. I spent half of S2 wondering why this new Gannicus guy was so important before finding out that a prequel season existed.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
The first few episodes are absolutely horrendous, but if you push past them, you'll be treated to probably the best-written TV show of all time.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see a thread of someone discovering Spartacus I get excited and go for a rewatch.

Nooooo. Netflix can't take Spartacus away from me like that. "You spread cheek only to place cock in arse"

This is why I always buy bluray box sets for series that resonate with me whenever available. Streaming is all well and good but Spartacus is a perfect example of why physical media should always be an option.

This. I spent half of S2 wondering why this new Gannicus guy was so important before finding out that a prequel season existed.

I fucked up the same way, it wasn't until season 3 started on TV that I discovered the prequel season existed. While I was gutted when I realised I'd ballsed up the viewing order, at the same time it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the subsequent seasons.

radosiewka

Oct 29, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
I, just as many of you, was quite unimpressed at first. I've watched first episode just after the premiere and decided that it's a "nay" category show for me. But later on IGN reviews were getting more positive and people were recommending me this show and encouraging to just go through first episodes and it gets better. And you know what? It does!

Spartacus and it's prequel with charismatic Gannicus (that smile!) Blood & Sand is a well-made TV show which developed nicely through time. It has epic fights, politics, a lot of sex and interesting characters (Spartacus, Gannicus, Crixus, and female ones like Lucretia and Mira). The only one that I did not like was Naevia, who got actress-switch during the show and the second actress just wasn't as good as the first one.