• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Here is my experience watching the first season of Starz's Spartacus, starring Andy Whitfield, Lucy Lawless, John Hannah, released in 2010.

Episode 1:

This episode is so hilariously awful, so bad that it comes back round and becomes good fun. The acting is laughable, the editing and CGI team clearly have a cocaine problem, the tone feels inspired by Synder's turgid 300. I don't buy John Hannah as a Roman at all. I'll keep watching because I've spent all of 2019 reading about Roman history, and feel like watching fiction set in that era.

Episode 5:

Wait....has....has this show been getting good?

I'm so happy that the editor managed to deal with his cocaine problem. I know relapses occur throughout the season, but for the most part he's got it under control, well done man, I'm proud of you.

Andy got a haircut a while ago and doesn't look stupid anymore. The structure of the show has become more clear to me. I recognise Crixus from history and love how the show has him as an antagonist for Spartacus, while also fleshing him out by having him in love with a fellow slave.

I'm understanding John Hannah's character more now and realise why I didn't buy him as a Roman earlier. I've spent all year reading about Roman aristocrats like Caesar, Pompey, Cicero, etc. Batiatus is sure as hell not an aristocrat, he wants to blag his way into being one, and with that in mind I can more fully appreciate and enjoy Hannah's character.

The show contextualising Spartacus's story alongside Batiatus's desire to rise into politics does a good job at showing how fiercely competitive Romans were. They grew up being told of their ancestors exploits and were expected to do better, and the cursus honorum (political ladder) demanded everyone fight tooth and nail for glory.

This show is trashy, there are copious amounts of tits and dicks rammed into your face, but there are compelling themes and character arcs forming too. The plight of the slaves is easy narrative fodder to make the audience sympathetic, I was always expecting that, but I'm intrigued and enjoying Batiatus and his wife trying to scheme their way into aristocracy.

Episode 9-11:

Loooool, this show is so trashy, so hedonistic, but so fun. The sex scenes ridiculous, and personally I get bored and just fast forward past them.

They keep ramming home how shit being a slave is, how depraved the Romans are, and all the while they've managed to make Spartacus a compelling character who was stubborn and cliched at the beginning, then broken down bit by bit into an obedient slave. So it's all the more painful when he keeps losing friends, keeps being pushed past his limits. You know a show has won you over when you feel bad for a character's plight. The show has transformed from a silly camp piece of shit in the pilot episode into a genuinely heartbreaking journey into the wretched lives of slaves and the merciless exploits of Romans who don't take no for an answer. The actor who plays Crixus, Manu Bennett, is brilliant.

Episode 12+13:

This climax is one of the most cathartic I've seen in TV. The episode is called Kill Them All....so, yeah!

On to the prequel season next. And finally, RIP to Andy Whitfield. He grew as an actor during the season, and had an earnest vibe about him that reminded me of Paul Walker. I dunno how his replacement will live up to him, but look forward to finding out!

EDIT: last season thoughts here.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been quite a while since I watched it but we need more shows like this not scared to hang dong tbh.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I'm so jealous you get to experience this for the first time. Most of it is a fucking rollercoaster. The prequel is awesome. Official season 2 is kind of...meh. It has a lot of cool moments, and still a lot of cool characters, but Liam McIntyre doesn't quite find his footing in this season, and some actors take quite the turn for the annoying. And then the last season is all kinds of awesome again. Well worth riding out the somewhat mediocre second season for.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
This show gets better and better tbh. The ending to the whole thing made me shed a manly tear.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Spartacus is amazing. You have to embrace the over the top nature of it for sure. All the characters talk in a weird way but I loved every minute of it while it was on the air. It has some of the most memorable fight scenes of any tv show IMO.

Also, nobody could properly replace Andy Whitfield but Liam McIntyre really does a great job as Spartacus. Gods of the Arena is when the best character (Gannicus) gets introduced too.

"Two Romans seem to deliver no contest. Send three, so that I may deliver proper tribute!"

giphy.gif

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the pseudo Shakespeare dialogue. And Batiatus was hilarious.

ONCE AGAAAAAAIN THE GODS SPREAD CHEEKS

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I've seen the first season twice, that ending was so damn satisfying.

I started season 3 but never finished it, it was hard adjusting to Andy Whitfield's absence and some other guy playing him, also didn't help that prequel season stopped the momentum the first season had.

John Hanna remains a treasure though, he loves to ham things up and in this he can go all out.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
One of the all-time greatest shows for sure. RIP Andy Whitfield. They nailed the landing at the end and that final homage to Whitfield was classy.

It does take a few episodes to get going at first, and the effects look cheap then, but once it settles into the groove with all the inter-personal rivalries and scheming it's amazing. Those Batiatus quotes, LOL.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I got into this show due to another member convincing me to watch it years ago. Shit is so fucking good. Andy is missed.

OP
OP
cognizant

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I forgot to add that I didn't even recognise Jai Courtney until a few episodes in.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
I can't believe this show kept getting snubbed from best of decade lists. This show knew exactly what it wanted to be and executed it perfectly, and deserves way more credit.

Oct 26, 2017
I've watched the entirety of this show over the past year, and I absolutely love it. It's one of my all time favorite television shows.

I forgot to add that I didn't even recognise Jai Courtney until a few episodes in.

A lot of people rag on Jai Courtney as an actor, but I thought he was excellent in Season 1 of Spartacus. Varro was a great character, and integral to Spartacus' arc later in the season.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Idk... the last episode is maybe my favorite finale? Just everything taken together. The recovery from a rough third season... just everything combined for such an amazing, genuinely emotional payoff. Much GRATITUDE.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest seasons of television

Like you said, there's a rough start, but once the cast clicks into place, the quality skyrockets.

Andy was such a great lead. RIP.

I haven't even seen the latter seasons because the lack of Andy has deflated my interest a bit, but I know that's not entirely fair. The new guy's physique is not even close to Andy's.
But what of good Solonius ?
1552608852948.jpg

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
The gods have seen it fit again to spread cheeks and jam cock in ass.

This may have been the best TV thread from the old board. It was the IGN reaction guys meme.

Episode 1 - This show is shit. I can't believe they would make this. Shit is going to be canned

Episode 12 - FUCK EM UP BROTHERS. YA!!!

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Took me three tries to get through the first episode many years ago and I'm so glad I did. This show is the best argument for doing proper pilot episodes ever.

I'd say get through Season 3 if you haven't. The new guy took some getting used to but I think he grew into the part by the end.

ETA: Just looked him up and Liam McIntyre did some Star Wars voice work and JD Fenix in Gears 5. Good for him. Also a character named "Girth Hemsworth" in something.

Oct 28, 2017
Love this show. I basically rewatch the entire series every 2 years. Dialogue is excellent. I hope the Caesar show happens eventually.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this show kept getting snubbed from best of decade lists. This show knew exactly what it wanted to be and executed it perfectly, and deserves way more credit.
This 1000000x times. Its like they saw 300 and said, let's actually make it good this time. Keep the same slick style, bring in actual characters, develop them, while serving up the same violent filled pulp.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah, watch the prequel before the other seasons. To be honest, you can stop there. I only really cared for the Season 0 and Season 1... but I'm curious to see how you fare.
Unfortunately no, that's a bad idea. For some dumb reason they showed the finale of the first filmed season at the beginning of the prequel season, which was filmed second while Andy was fighting his cancer.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite seasons of TV ever once they get in to the gladiator part. Cathartic is definitely the word I'd describe the last episode. Cemented my love for the show. Also some of the greatest quotable dialogue ever lol.

Last edited:

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ashur is just a fantastic villain, all the way to the end.

Also--- fun fact-- Stephen Amell was almost named the replacement for Andy but took a little known role as the Green Arrow so it went to Liam instead. Which is good. I say this as a pretty big Amell fan, but I do not see him playing that version of Spartacus very well. (Though it would have been nice to get a Green Arrow vs Deathstroke prequel.)

Also, for anyone else interested in the Arrowverse, their staff were clearly fans of Spartacus as well because a LOT of the characters from Spartacus have played roles on Arrow as well.

OP
OP
cognizant

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I like how even when Batiatus has an aristocrat tied up in a sewer, having told the man he's gonna die and probably his son too, the poor guy's like "fuck you, you ain't shit!" :D that Roman entitlement, man.

I need to cram the rest of this show into this month because apparently it's going off Netflix UK on the first of February!

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Fantastic show, nothing has managed to catch the same vibe for me. Even my dad was obsessed with it, and he never watches anything except sports.

He told me to check out The Last Kingdom, he said it's basically Spartacus but in medieval times. Is there any truth to that?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic show, nothing has managed to catch the same vibe for me. Even my dad was obsessed with it, and he never watches anything except sports.

He told me to check out The Last Kingdom, he said it's basically Spartacus but in medieval times. Is there any truth to that?

Wouldn't say it's "basically Spartacus" at all, but it's an extremely good historical fiction show with camp sensibilities and strong characterization and plotting, like Spartacus was. It's not as visually or verbally stylized as Spartacus was, though.

I'd highly recommend it, for sure; I found Spartacus and The Last Kingdom to be superior and more consistently-written dramas than, for instance, later Game of Thrones or Vikings, both of which fell off hard after strong initial seasons.

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017
Great timing, I'm starting E2S3! Been binging this for a week and a half and it so so good. It's scratching the same itch as Black Sails with the characters, politics and the notion of everyone could die at any moment. Getting a little fatigued so will give it a couple of days before continuing but great to hear S4 is good! Going from the worst CGI in S1 to better CGI and awesome scene transitions in the prequel was very good.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Loved this show, one of my favourite finales too.

The correct viewing order is absolutely the release order, for anyone wondering. S1 then Prequel then S2 then S3.