• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Also thanks for showing me that. I love seeing stuff that got changed over the course of a films creation.

Oh man, you should start digging into the production of this movie. The story is FASCINATING.

Short version- Lawrence Kasdan, the writer of Empire, only agrees to come back for the Disney Era if Disney puts into production the Solo pet project he and his son have been kicking around. Disney agrees, and hires Lord and Miller of Jump Street fame to direct the movie.

Production starts and the tone is completely different than what the Kasdans want. It's a Lord and Miller movie, which is to be expected when you hire those guys. Aiden calls Lucasfilm and expresses his concerns. They shut down the movie and bring in Ron Howard to reshoot 80% of it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fine. I liked all of the characters, even if most of the new ones were pretty shallow, stock personality types. The femme fatale, the untrustworthy mentor, all that. But I like the vaguely western-ish, old-timey adventure movie type stuff, so that's a plus for me. It's just fun seeing those set pieces, like a train robbery, in a Star Wars setting.

Would I watch it again? Oh no absolutely not, I don't have the time for that sort of thing. But it was worth seeing, for free, a few months after it came out.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Oh how I wish we could've seen the Lord & Miller version of this movie, cause the version we got is awful.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I hated the idea of giving Han Solo a back story.

Not everything has to be explained to satisfy the curiosity of every nerd who likes something. Its generally way more interesting to leave that stuff blank and allow for the viewer and the actor to interpret it on their own.

That said, I also liked Solo. It was nothing special but it was a fun movie and the characters were all really likable.

Then again I also liked The Rise of Skywalker and The Last Jedi so maybe there is something really wrong with me.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
It was an OK movie once Woody showed up, but otherwise it played it too safe, but that's what you get when you replace interesting directors with Ron Howard. Both Solo and Rogue One are better than anything in that new trilogy though.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I can take or leave the first act, but the rest is good.
Just cut that dumb cameo in the end.

I loved the cameo at the end. Some good fun for the real fans to know and understand. I know we have a conclusion on him in the animated series but I hope they do something with a live film to continue where we left off.

I was just thinking about solo this morning too thinking how much better they did with the story than the ST

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Liked Rogue One, hated Solo. Maybe one day I'll give it another watch but I remember thinking it was basically prequel-tier when I initially watched it.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a perfectly fine standalone movie and I like it quite a lot. Maybe my second favourite of the Disney era.

I love the more grounded (lol) Star Wars stories, so this was right up my proverbial street.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
It's a totally fine film but there's a lot of setup that feels like jokes were straight edited out (probably holdovers from when Lord and Miller were working on it) and aesthetically it's as boring as it gets. Donald Hoover felt like a parody of Lando, and I kept forgetting Han Solo was actually Han Solo except for when it was hammering me over the head with the fact it's young Han Solo, but all the other actors (especially Clarke and Harrilson) killed it and injected life into what was otherwise a kind of soulless movie. I think it could have worked as a fun serialized miniseries a lot better, with loosely connected narratives and a lot more humor.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
But it's vital we see the background of every single aspect of a well loved character. They mention something as a throwaway line in a popular film? You better believe I want to see that on the screen. I want to see how he got his name, how he did the Kessel Run in whatever, and how he became friends with Lando, and how he got his vest.

Tbh, I actually thought it was a decent film, but it also was actively unnecessary.

To be fair, this is not a Disney specific issue, especially with Star Wars. George wrote stupid fucking explanations/backstory for everything from how the force works, to where 3PO came from to making Boba Fett an annoying fucking kid. Media in general, has a problem with over explaining things. Other than where Han got his last name, I actually find Solo to be one of the least offensive versions of this.

As for the film at large, I think it's fun as hell. In a lot of ways I think it's one of the better movies to capture the "feel" of Star Wars. It was a big fun adventure and I think a lot of the hate it gets is unfair.