• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
INTRO

Many years ago, I remember stumbling upon a curious title at my local videogame store: its title and cover quite stood out to me, but upon turning the box I got the idea that it was some kind of RPG, and because of my younger self's lack of interest in the genre (and well, money), I put the game back in its place and never seriously entertained the idea of purchasing it.
Roughly 10 years have passed since then, in that span of time I heard how that game was pretty remarkable, and EXPENSIVE. Thankfully, PAL copies aren't actually that sought after, so a few weeks ago I finally took the plunge on buying what could have been part of my younger years.

And that game was: Solatorobo: Red the Hunter

453638-solatorobo-red-the-hunter-nintendo-ds-manual.jpg

(and now I'm going to talk about it)

THE RED HUNTER (actual misinterpretation of mine for a long time, oops)

Before we begin, my younger self is an idiot, because this game ISN'T a pure RPG, it's more like an action-RPG with adventure sprinkled in. So that's an L on my part, because I would have probably ended up liking it 10 or so years ago.

Anyway, as soon as you boot up the game and start a new file, the one thing most of you already know about the game rears its head: the production value.

21Jb4pT.gif
JeTZCX1.gif

I'm no expert, but the game boasts some gorgeous in-engine(?) 3D(??) cutscenes, they are certaintly not the norm throughout the game, but right from the get-go, I was very impressed.

THE GRAPHICS/ART STYLE

To get this out of the way, if you couldn't tell, this game features mainly anthro designs, this is apparently a turn-off for some people, only things I'll say is that I very much enjoyed them and I think they add a LOT of charm to the game, ok, moving on.

If the intro didn't convince you, yes, the game is very, very pretty.
Most shocking of all, it's one of the most 3D-reliant games I can remember on the system, and it pulls off its mix of 3D and 2D assets exceptionally well: the models are simplistic but charming, and the 2D art and quite sleek UI make for a surprisingly cohesive presentation.

K57QS0e.gif
ttWl3Eo.gif

As for the art style, I can't in good faith try to critique it, but I can say that it reminds me of Hayao Miyazaki's works, especially Castle in the Sky, but with more modern mecha design sensibilities; and I think this also applies to the game as a whole.

SI_NDS_Solatorobo_image1600w.jpg

THE STORY/PACING

I've included talking about the pacing because I don't want to delve into the story too deeply, but the 2 things are connected.

If you're wondering why I included such subtitle to my OT, it's because I kind of consider this game as a "babies' first Xenoblade".
The writing and characters are very enjoyable and charming, but the plot, while at first pretty standard, goes into pretty "interesting" directions that personally remind me of my experience with MonolithSoft's franchise, I won't elaborate further, but I consider the plot (and its presentation) one of the game's most commendable assets, so much so that I retroactively would have wanted to pick this game all those years ago.
One slight some people have against the story it's that it's too "wordy", while I don't disagree, for me the writing and (main) characters made up for it.
(too bad there is no way to skip dialogue quickly, that's inexcusable)

solatorobo411.jpg
SCPw-1T1hgU53M6AL_3lXu957gjGPzT5N_z01qYPkBx-7k9PGSz3dB-qDZ2LJJgOKQdTTld79HZNNRMV17Sgq-MvX9zmCby4VV-dc_8ZKn8U8oIFNJ6vgp7avu2dbGTy_8c

Now, the pacing I do have some things to say about, because it felt rather "strange" to me.
Basically, the game is divided in 2 parts, each 10 chapters long, for a total of 20 chapters, and the thing about these chapters is that they're SHORT, you would be hard-pressed to find a chapter longer than 45 minutes, and I guess it felt so weird because I'm too used to Xenoblade's idea of chapters (I've been playing them a lot recently), that are basically hours and hours long.
It took me roughly 15 hours to finish the game's story, and you might think: "that must have felt like a comfortable breeze!". Well...

THE GAMEPLAY

The game mainly revolves around exploring 3D-ish locales, platforming on foot (rarely) or aboard your crimson mech, taking on various missions (story related or "optional") and combat; before I talk about the fighting, there's 3 other sub-gameplay styles I've failed to mention.

- Model Racing
This is basically the game's excuse to get you to partake in the multiplayer racing minigame to potentially play it in the future with your friends, it's fine if not a bit obtrusive and unwanted, but the story proper forces you to play it a couple of times tops, so it's not a tragedy.
(you also get to meet some characters of the game Solatorobo is a spiritual succesor to: Tail Concerto)

- Floating Island Exploration
Now this is weird: in some early-ish missions (and in ONE area in the latter half of the game) you are granted the ability to hover and FLY to explore a small sandbox comprised of scattered floating islands. I kind of wish there could be a separate mode dedicated to this one mechanic, because it was quite novel and fun to be given such relative freedom. But sadly these parts show the limitation of the DS, as the camera is iffy and the framerate a bit shaky, still pretty fun though.

- Fishing
This mechanic comes out of nowhere in the 2nd part of the game, so much so that I forgot to talk about it.
It's pretty similar to OKAMI's fishing (mash a button, tilt the stick in the correct position), and while it is conceptually awesome (you fish hermit crabs with GIANT WARSHIPS for shell), the story forces you to, again, play it a couple of times tops, to then relegate it to side-content.

THE COMBAT

I want to preface this by saying that I did like the combat, but sadly it's arguably the weakest (and most prominent) link of the chain that is this game.
In short the combat is comprised of 2 parts: grabbing the enemies, and chain yeeting throwing them against one another to rack up the damage.
This is the MAIN way you'll be interacting with the game, and it's just... Okay.
For some it's less than okay, and more "braindead easy"; for example, I died ONCE in the whole game, and that was against the final boss, the last fight of the game.

It genuinely saddens me, because the game in general I find to be really, really great, but the combat just isn't up to snuff, and ends up dragging down the whole game a notch.
The game is so finely crafted, but 2 of its main features play at odds with each other (the wordy story and simple combat) and I just can't ignore that.

CONCLUSION
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
is a game that would have probably left a huge mark on a younger me, a window to a beautiful world full of charming characters, lucious and imaginative locales, and with an intriguing and at times emotionally moving story.
And while I did very, very much enjoy the game, as a more experienced, jaded 10-year-older person, I can't shake the feeling that it could have been so much more, a bonafied classic even, if it hadn't been for its alright combat.

solatorobo-recensione-14491-1280x16.jpg
(see you, Red Savarin)

ADDENDUM: "LITTLE TAIL BRONX"

While I'm at it, I might as well give a shoutout to the franchise and its future, because yes, as I already mentioned, the PSX title Tail Concerto and Solatorobo are connected, and both part of developer Cyberconnect2's "Little Tail Bronx" series (I came to discover this while playing the game).

This franchise is to put it mildy, not a great seller, but despite that it's getting a new title fairly soon, called Fuga: Melodies of steel.
The game is not in the same vein as Solatorobo, but now that I know of the series' existence, I'm going to keep an eye out for it (lord knows it will need it).

co1th5.jpg
tumblr_ptasoxhzGc1qjoleso1_400.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This game always gave me Mega Man Legends vibes with the airships and vibrant aesthetics, I should really check it out.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to check this out but the cheapest copy at my game store is $80 and PAL, so that's a no go.

If Fuga actually happens they should probably port this and Tail Concerto to Steam or something.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I started collecting DS games a few years ago and this is one of the ones that came up on a lot of people's lists, so I added it to mine.

I found it in a bargain bin for $20nzd (about 13USD at the time)

I still haven't played it yet, but I will get there for sure. I tend to bounce between consoles whenever I finish a game, so right now I'm playing Xenoblade on Switch, then Ill likely play AC:Syndicate on PS4, and then I'll either play Hitman 2 or choose one of my GBC/GBA/DS games. (Maybe I can make a thread and people can recommend one)
I've got a good chunk of the really good DS stuff sitting on my shelf still sealed lol. I only just played Radiant Historia last year.

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
Good write-up OP. I haven't replayed Solatorobo since I bought it at launch so reading this brought back a lot of memories on how I felt about it. Very weak combat and gameplay in general, but phenomenal story, artistry, and worldbuilding. It's a flawed gem, and I wish it could get a second chance in another form, either via a remake or a full-blown anime series.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a sealed copy of this for $20 not too long after it came out (still sealed). Didn't realize it is a more valuable game these days.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
It's probably impossible now due to price, but definitely check out the PS1 prequel--Tail Concerto, it may be a little more simplistc in gameplay (minus tank controls) but it's just as charming.

Oct 25, 2017
I maybe played half the game before I sold it to a friend for 40 bucks. Big mistake in my part from a collectors standpoint because goddamn it's like 140 complete. But after a while the game loop sort of bored me.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Funnily enough I've been thinking about this recently as I only just stumbled across the news about Fuga. I really enjoyed this at the time, a hidden gem.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Good writeup. Incredible cutscenes, too bad about the gameplay. The music is catchy too. There's really nothing else like it on the DS

I bought it because it's a cyberconnect2 game, and I'm a fan of theirs. I also like the character artist, Nobuteru Yuuki.

I did end up finishing it, but I don't remember much about the story after the halfway point.

I do remember a fishing minigame, but it was not your typical fishing.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
good game... I remember being impressed visually even with things like smoke.
Could use a remake on moderns systems... it deserves more exposure
I have sealed copy in my collection

OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I just remembered that all 9 Solatorobo Settings Archives are available for free on Amazon via Kindle Unlimited, I haven't had the chance to check them out (I should give the free trial a try), but I bet they have a lot of great art inside, here's a link to the first 3.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
To get this out of the way, if you couldn't tell, this game features mainly anthro designs, this is apparently a turn-off for some people, only things I'll say is that I very much enjoyed them and I think they add a LOT of charm to the game, ok, moving on.
I remember when this was coming out people were fucking panicking at the idea of a game with animal people, it was so ridiculous.
While I'm at it, I might as well give a shoutout to the franchise and its future, because yes, as I already mentioned, the PSX title Tail Concerto and Solatorobo are connected, and both part of developer Cyberconnect2's "Little Tail Bronx" series (I came to discover this while playing the game).
You might have run into to the characters from the earlier stuff when you were playing. One of the sidequests featured the main characters from Tail Concerto, and other featured the characters they had made for a public safety campaign at one point.
latest

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Speaking of the series' history, it was fascinating finding out what really was going on with Strelka Stories during my interview with CC2 last AX:

CyberConnect2 - the Near Future and Beyond: Anime Expo 2019 Interview with Executive Vice President Taichiro Miyazaki | RPG Site

During Anime Expo 2019 with CyberConnect2 VP Taichiro Miyazaki, to hear about their continued plans to expand their reach in both the video games industry as well as the entertainment business at large.

Folks were assuming it was the next big project, but it never was really intended to be one - it was the sort of concept art that was used to advertise new positions.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
If I could have ten thousand more games with this aesthetic, I'll gobble them all up and cherish each and every single one.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I remember having a really good time with it. Still have it with my other DS games.

Short thoughts on Tail Concerto
OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Morning bump because I put a lot of effort into this.

I'm suprised some are telling me about Tail Concerto, because for one, I did mention it in the gameplay section (but I guess it's easily missable).
And actually I got the idea to make this thread after beating Tail Concerto, and intended to talk about both of them, but because of length and lack of interesting thoughts, I ended up dropping the latter.

As far as thoughts on Tail Concerto: it was alright.
Charming graphics, competent voice work, but the camera wasn't that great, the gameplay was a bit too simplistic and at times aggravating, and the story was honestly not that good (lots of cookie-cutter characters and leaps in judgement to arbitrarily move the plot along).

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Be warned that the game is DSi enhanced, and is thus region locked on DSi handhelds if people are thinking about picking up one from a different region. You'll need an OG DS or DS Lite to play it if you don't have a DSi from the same region.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Luckily a library nearby has a copy, so I played a bit of it that way recently. I definitely need to borrow it again and get further, but as many others have said, the actual combat is both simple and somewhat physically taxing in terms of button-mashing, so that's a bit of a roadblock. Still, an impressive effort in most other respects, especially the design work from Nobuteru Yūki (known for Escaflowne, Lodoss War, and even Xenosaga: The Animation, tying the discussion back to a Xeno- game.)

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I sold my copy like an idiot after i beat it. Now the game is super mega rare lol.

Id love a rerelease but this is the nichest of niche games ever.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It very much feels like a PS1 game, both in general simplicity and in charm. I really loved the game and I honestly didn't know anything about the story going into it (because I knew absolutely no one else who had the game) so certain things were actually very surprising to me.

It goes along things like Infinite Space as a great hidden gem on the DS (even though they're incredibly different gameplay wise).

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Bought a copy of this game a few years back (2014/2015-ish) when I went on a DS game buying spree, but still haven't played it. Seems cool though.

Interesting to learn it's part of a series, I'll keep tabs on Fuga.

OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks for the detailed write-up, JangleLuke ! I really enjoyed reading it as I've always been interested in the game.
Thank you for the kind words! I joined this forum mainly out of love for the Videogame medium, and my desire to discuss and talk about them (despite my somewhat lacking exposition skills), so it feels very rewarding to have struck a chord, no matter how small, in users familiar or not with the game.
In the meantime I've been re-listening to the animated intro theme, "And Then, To CODA" (which I'm pretty sure is the subtitle of the game in Japan), and man, it's such a beautiful piece, it really sets the mood for a strikingly beautiful adventure.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Man, you certainly brought back memories OP.

Bought this on a whim during the rough opening months of the 3DS' release and being the huge Mega Man Legends fan I am, absolutely fell in love with the game.

I had no clue it was rare though, but it makes sense I suppose.

Edit:
I just went looking for my copy and I completely forgot it came with a sound selection soundtrack. Still sealed too.

HfcCxY1.jpg

Edit 2
Also, now looking at the cover, it reminds me that I also thought of Gurren Lagann when I saw and how quirky the mech design looked.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I hadn't sold my copy. I think I still have the CD it came with though.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
JangleLuke as someone studying Japanese, I can confirm you've got the subtitle correct. ^^
Looking forward to more of your LTTP threads on the future.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I was just about post that European copies are considerably cheaper than North American copies, but then I checked Ebay and copies here in the UK have really shot up in value these last few years. I bought a copy in mid 2016 for £20 and even a few years ago UK copies were less than half the price of those in North America.

IIRC Solatorobo was localised by Nintendo of Europe, who gave the game a far greater print run here than Bandai Namco did in other territories. Additionally, as the game released in Europe several months before North America, US copies come with the game's free DLC pre-downloaded. As the DLC servers are no longer online, I guess North American copies are somewhat superior to European ones.