• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why was this received as lukewarm reviews? I thought it was fantastic. Just as good as the first. And my god, that soundtrack is so awesome. That BWAH sound that goes on At the end

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Why was this received as lukewarm reviews? I thought it was fantastic. Just as good as the first. And my god, that soundtrack is so awesome. That BWAH sound that goes on At the end
I rented this by accident thinking it was the first movie and was very confused at first. Still enjoyable, but I thought the ending was garbage and made no sense other than to set up a 3rd movie.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had the same experience, one of the best movies I have seen this year. And yes, the soundtrack is amazing, I remember loving that sound at the end as well, lol.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking loved this, but that Alejandro scene in the third act left me thinking "... Really? This could've been written otherwise".

Other than that, loved the action, and it still had good tension scenes. The scene with Alejandro speaking sign is oddly beautiful and heart warming.

Gotta re-watch it one of these days.

Deleted member 24112

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed too. It didn't need to exist as the first one is pretty much perfect but I enjoyed it viewing it as a standard thriller. I also agree the ending was a bit shonky.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Was really disappointed by this. Day of the Soldado made me appreciate Sicario's cohesive tightly-plotted narrative more than I already did. Whereas that movie was lean and uncompromising, with a bleakly grey thematic core built around a well-defined central protagonist, Soldado can't decide what kind of movie it wants to be. The opening is ridiculous enough, going to insane lengths to justify its premise, but then the attempt at themes and nuance get more and more muddled as the plot progresses.

Is it a movie about the disastrous consequences of America's tendency to destabilize? It seems to be going in that direction, until that plot and those themes get dropped because the movie decides that it wants to be more about Benicio Del Toro's character and his backstory and humanizing him.

Then it becomes a low-key Bourne-esque plot for a while, throwing all those thematic elements aside for a standard cartel thriller. One that seems like it's building towards ugly consequences and a confrontation but then decides that it can't be too dark and also implausibly, jarringly needs to set up a sequel.

If you want to see the most telling difference, all you need to do is compare the movies' subplots. In Sicario, it was further indictment of the war on drugs and its cycle of violence. Here, it's to allow for a cliche genre moment and set up the next chapter in the Sicario Saga (TM)

Del Toro is enjoyable enough and the action is decently shot, but that's not enough. Everything about this movie is just asking you to watch and appreciate its predecessor again

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Same here op. It's not as good as the first one but still a very enjoyable movie that captures a lot of what made the first one great.

Deleted member 24112

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of the ending.

I didn't quite understand what look Josh Brolin was giving at the end in the helicopter. Could someone explain this to me?

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Well acted and executed action movie, but first movie was more then that. So second movie was bit of a disappointment in comparasion. Also, Alejandro caring for the girl was such bull shit. He executed two kids in front of their father and mother in the first movie. Him suddenly caring for the girl was typical Hollywood decision.

Edit. I still enjoyed it a lot but it was lesser movie.

Last edited:

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It's uneven in comparison to the original, but it still has something going for it even if it's nhilistic bent is even more bent

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
The problem is, it's an absolutely unnecessary film, the ending of the first film was perfect as it is. What does sequel brings to the table except for the 3rd rate gangster film scenes (Alejandro executing advocate in a broad daylight) and uncharachteristical actions by characters? Nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fun but it was definitely infinitely worse than the first movie.
The tone was all off, that foreboding lawless environment where it feels like everyone is moments away from being in an active warzone was kind of gone for a more just straight up action movie approach.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is, it's an absolutely unnecessary film, the ending of the first film was perfect as it is. What does sequel brings to the table except for the 3rd rate gangster film scenes (Alejandro executing advocate in a broad daylight) and uncharachteristical actions by characters? Nothing.
My thoughts exactly, it was more of a decent actioner/mob flick.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Movie was really disappointing. If I remember correctly they gave Brolin's character the okay to start a war against the cartels and literally after the first fucking thing they do, "oops you actually can't do that btw kill Del Toro"

Whack as fuck

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I loved the first one. Had my expectations lowered for this and I think it mostly succeeded. Don't regret watching it, but no hurry for a rewatch either.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Was really disappointed by this. Day of the Soldado made me appreciate Sicario's cohesive tightly-plotted narrative more than I already did. Whereas that movie was lean and uncompromising, with a bleakly grey thematic core built around a well-defined central protagonist, Soldado can't decide what kind of movie it wants to be. The opening is ridiculous enough, going to insane lengths to justify its premise, but then the attempt at themes and nuance get more and more muddled as the plot progresses.

Is it a movie about the disastrous consequences of America's tendency to destabilize? It seems to be going in that direction, until that plot and those themes get dropped because the movie decides that it wants to be more about Benicio Del Toro's character and his backstory and humanizing him.

Then it becomes a low-key Bourne-esque plot for a while, throwing all those thematic elements aside for a standard cartel thriller. One that seems like it's building towards ugly consequences and a confrontation but then decides that it can't be too dark and also implausibly, jarringly needs to set up a sequel.

If you want to see the most telling difference, all you need to do is compare the movies' subplots. In Sicario, it was further indictment of the war on drugs and its cycle of violence. Here, it's to allow for a cliche genre moment and set up the next chapter in the Sicario Saga (TM)

Del Toro is enjoyable enough and the action is decently shot, but that's not enough. Everything about this movie is just asking you to watch and appreciate its predecessor again
This is pretty good... I agree with this.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the ending.

I didn't quite understand what look Josh Brolin was giving at the end in the helicopter. Could someone explain this to me?
It's shame. The girl whose life he threatened/ruined is staring him right in the face and he can't look at her.

Some of the posters here are misreading the movies. In the first one, the Josh Brolin character is "right" about the war on drugs and Emily Blunt is wrong. In the second one, Brolin *is* the Blunt character, naive and used up by the American system that just wants to propagate itself.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I had to stop watching after about 45 minutes, it just played like a gross alt-right power fantasy. Mexican drug smugglers, Muslim suicide bombers, Somali pirates...they're ALL in cahoots! Gimme a fucking break.

The first movie was an indictment of the drug war, presenting the "good guys" as just as ruthless and horrific as the cartel, with Emily Blunt's character serving as a disgusted outsider POV. "Soldado" just argues that we *need* to be as bad as the bad hombres to stop them.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Just saw this . This is an islamophobic, anti Muslim and anti Mexican . A republican pipe dream case of why a wall must be built . How is the xenophobia and racism of this movie not more public?!

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to stop watching after about 45 minutes, it just played like a gross alt-right power fantasy. Mexican drug smugglers, Muslim suicide bombers, Somali pirates...they're ALL in cahoots! Gimme a fucking break.

The first movie was an indictment of the drug war, presenting the "good guys" as just as ruthless and horrific as the cartel, with Emily Blunt's character serving as a disgusted outsider POV. "Soldado" just argues that we *need* to be as bad as the bad hombres to stop them.

I see this post is from December, but I just want to point out you shut it off before the twist. That the CIA falsified evidence in order to portray Muslim terrorists as being routed by cartels, that in reality the bombings were committed by domestic terrorists, and that the CIA created the false narrative in order to mount a clandestine anti-terror ops in another nation's sovereign territory as cover for their drug war operations.

When the plot is exposed, the govt. orders the operation "cleaned up," because presumably the CIA thought they could sell their secret drug-war black ops to congress as the war on terror.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is disappointing.
I finally got around to watching this movie last week and it reminded me of that SNL skit about Fox News covering the caravan.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
If it had no connection to the first movie I'd've enjoyed it in an action-thrillers way, but it's so far away from everything Sicario does so amazingly well in its story (it still looks good and the action is there, not a patch on Deakins tho) I don't think I'll watchbit again - unlike Sicario which I watch about once every two months.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
It was a very mediocre movie.
The movies starts off with an 'ISIS' attack at a border and then the plot deviates to a Mexican cartel.
We never find out about the actual terrorist attack that triggered the whole story.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All Muslims are terrorists, all Somalians are terrorists, all Mexicans are drug lords and drug carriers, White man comes to save with help of vengeful Hispanic
In a film with a lot of terrible people, Brolin's character is by far the worst by a large margin and the film's not really subtle about it.

Though given that the film's ending apparently got rewritten by the director that's probably not entirely on you.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
i've held off on watching the film for so long since I felt Sicario was perfect as a standalone film. Wow, I see why no one talks about this film, it's fucking trash and dangerous. It's like its doing everything it can to undo the first film and make all of our immoral characters good Hollywood heroes. And the entire time the film is taking itself 1000% serious with ominous music droning in the background when in reality it's a fucking Hollywood Action film of the lowest caliber.

So you want to be a Sicario?*

*Editor's note: Sicario means assassin. I know that might have confused some of you who didn't understand the title of the film.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I thought it was mediocre at best. The first entry was expertly crafted and felt unique. Day of the Soldado could barely even touch the heels of the first film.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I've come around on this movie. At first I didn't like it because I was comparing it directly to its (superior) predecessor. But on its own, this film is still pretty good.

I wish that the studio hadn't forced them to change the title. I think it plays much better as a "separate story in the same universe with some of the same characters" type film rather than a direct sequel.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So my brother made an apt comparison, the film is Rambo. You got First Blood, which is a powerful indictment on the Vietnam War and its treatment of veterans and then you got all the Rambo films that come after which are pure action schlock fests. Same thing here with Sicario.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, especially the interaction with the girl when they were on the run and seeking shelter. But it just doesn't come close to the first movie.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it, especially the interaction with the girl when they were on the run and seeking shelter. But it just doesn't come close to the first movie.

My man murdered innocent children, in cold blood, in the first film just to see their father's reaction before capping him to. Why would he care about the daughter of the main cartel member that killed his family?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
My man murdered innocent children, in cold blood, in the first film just to see their father's reaction before capping him to. Why would he care about the daughter of the main cartel member that killed his family?

Mainly talking about this:

I liked how it fleshed out Alejandro even more.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I just remember the crazy stuff that happens in that movie were the exact things Trump then claimed Mexicans were doing. Like he thought the movie was a documentary.