• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
JCAtRFe.png
So I've had it in my Epic library for a while since they gave it a way a few months back, but like most other things I've gotten for free on PC this last year I haven't really gotten round to actually playing it....
I used to love Commandos 1 and 2 and had a vague understanding that this was similar but never looked into it in detail. Commandos 2 especially, I consider to be one of the best games of its time.
AQ9xfTA.png

Regardless I saw it on sale for under a fiver last week on PSN and decided to double dip and have been playing it nonstop on PS4 (and now PS5) since.
It's bloody amazing, plays surprisingly well with a controller. Only in very few tricky instances did I wish for the precision and speed of mouse control.
Finished the last mission on hard yesterday and that was a tricky feast of millisecond-precision timing to get through some areas.

Setting up those shadow strikes where multiple enemies are engaged at once by the squad is really satisfying. The game play loop is just as fun and addictive as I remember Commandos to be.
tuaCUie.gif

Next up I will try and go for all the badges I missed and try some different strategies throughout the various missions.

GNThVcg.png
dSnBq6r.png

6aNlcVF.png
amJtK75.png

As a consequence I have now also added Desperados 3 to my wish list, as this has scratched a gaming itch I haven't had in a long time.

If like me you have been putting it off for whatever reason, or are blissfully unaware of the game. Go check it out. It really is fantastic. šŸ˜

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Glad more people are playing this game. It is an excellent Commandos like game and has an awesome story too.

Just like you said, the controls work surprisingly well on a console.

Uzzy

Gabeā€™s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Really excellent game for sure. Thought it had an incredible look while keeping things clean and clear when it comes to vision cones and the like. The game play loop is addictive as you say, and I even liked the story and characters.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Agreed. A really excellent game with a fine story and cast of characters. I felt right at home from the moment I started playing, it's just so similar to the Commandos games I grew up with.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Great game. Play it, enjoy it, then pick up desperados 3 as it is by the same developer. Evolution of the shadow tactics formula. Desperados 3 might be my favorite game of 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a game I had on my list for ages until I finally picked it up and played it this year. It's so fun, I really enjoy this type of stealth and unit control.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
It's an awesome game, bought it on sale on PSN for about ā‚¬5 a couple of weeks ago.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I grabbed this for $10 on PSN half a year ago.

Absolutely amazing game! Some of the levels are so cool. The castle siege level, for example, it's so cool sneaking around taking out guys one by one and having the front line change as you get further into the level.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Some of the levels require superhuman timing to get through without killing people. Tense but still enjoying it.
Dreading the last map without killing already. šŸ˜‚

Touha

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games of the past few years. Really hope they come back to it and do a Shadow Tactics 2!

Chrixter

Oct 29, 2017
Biggest surprise in a long time for me. Shadow Tactics was my first experience with the genre - I realized I'd been missing out.

The gameplay and level design are up there with the best games I've ever played. Great art direction, music, and characters, too.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Completed all the badges yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed the added little challenges, even if some were a little tedious.
This speed run though...
Neat little touch. I wonder how many others there are in the game.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Played the original probably over 25 playthroughs with probably close to a 1000 hours with online play.

But...

I totally agree with you. They're games. The idea, in my opinion, is just to have fun. To each their own, so I absolutely support you in just playing the stuff you get pleasure from.
Really? I wouldn't have expected this game to be that demanding. Can you not try it and return if it doesn't work?
That's unfortunate. You can always refund it though

Hmm...not sure. Does Steam allow for that? Never tried. All my other specs were okay, but it said dedicated video RAM is 1GB and I have 498MB.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm...not sure. Does Steam allow for that? Never tried. All my other specs were okay, but it said dedicated video RAM is 1GB and I have 498MB.
You can refund any games bought directly from Steam in the last two weeks (for whatever reason), as long as you have played them for under 2 hrs. The process is automatic, no questions asked.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Excellent game and the best in class (except for Desperados 3). It's amazing about what little details both in regard of gameplay and level structure they thought.