• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. I liked Rise more though.

The friggen' piranhas made me want to pull my hair out at times, though.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Writting was truly bad but apart of that is just so much better in everything else than the other two NuRaiders unless you want another Gears of War ripoff.

Seriously, Rise got fucking stupid with how much shooting there was.

Oct 27, 2017
Worst of the new trilogy, but I had some fun with it, at least. Even if the game overall was... kinda boring.

I loved it. I liked Rise more though.

The friggen' piranhas made me want to pull my hair out at times, though.

That shit was awful. Same goes for the tedious mutant zombie whatever fights and the semi-open world aspect of having to run around the city and surrounding areas.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't like it. I reached the first Village hub (Peru?) and dropped it. It was just tedious, the writing remains atrocious, the characters are irritating and maybe because I'd just come from Last of Us 2 the combat feels too flimsy and completely inconsequential. Also its never really sat right with me having Lara knifing people, smashing axes into heads and so on. There's something about this version of Lara I find irritating but I can't quite put my finger on what.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I just thought of a bad analogy that I believe explain my problems with Shadow tombs (and exploration/puzzles), and why I think they aren't good enough:

duplo-ring-toss.jpg
b5650d4a424d6c5e58ffbe39fdc9a9b3.jpg_720x720q80.jpg_.webp

Those are Shadow tombs. Or more precisely, the pieces from which they are built.

They did want to make good tombs, but the pieces from which the game was built didn't support them. They were made for something else. For a more aciton oriented game. The devs did put effort and had good ideas, but in the end the tombs ended up looking like this:

easy-lego-activities-for-preschoolers-8.png

and if they wanted to build a tomb more like this:

10226.jpg

They needed to change the pieces first.

Oct 30, 2017
By very far the best in the trilogy, why? because for once it feels and plays the closest to the original TR games, many Tombs with Puzzles and underwater free swimming and exploring which I can never understand why they took it off in the reboot 2013 and the following sequel.

It gets much unnecessary hate and bashing.

Nov 8, 2017
I think ROTTR was the peak for me in this new trilogy. I basically enjoyed 2013 and Rise a lot but found Shadow to be somewhat dull. UC4 and SOTTR both feel like the response of the creative leads to the criticisms of their preceding games being seen as "too action focused" and with too many kills but I think that in both cases the game was definitely not improved by doing so.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow has two problems:
The upgrades are pretty meaningless
The story drops off a cliff
This sounds small, but actually was kind of an issue for me. The skill tree in this game is one of the worst I've ever seen. It was to the point where halfway through the game I just stopped getting new skills altogether.

Other than that though I really enjoyed this game, it gets a pretty unfair rep imo due to being from a different team. The visuals are gorgeous, and it's closest to the spirit of a Tomb Raider game. The first two thirds of Shadow has an impressively small number of combat encounters (which, to be fair, actually factors in to that skill tree issue). I was pretty impressed the degree to which the game prioritized stealth and exploration

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
People praising this game makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It's the equivalent of the transformers last knight. It's part of a mediocre trilogy of games that have some moments of greatness and fun but are pretty forgettable with the last being an absolute travesty. The combat isn't even good in the third one when it's pretty decent in the second.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
By very far the best in the trilogy, why? because for once it feels and plays the closest to the original TR games, many Tombs with Puzzles and underwater free swimming and exploring which I can never understand why they took it off in the reboot 2013 and the following sequel.

It gets much unnecessary hate and bashing.

Yeah, Shadow cuts too deep in both positive and negative ways, though. For certain it deserves credit for expanding tombs and improving the feeling of exploration, but then it feels like a confused sequel with an under used skill tree and somehow the worst narrative. It made me appreciate the more focused action and over the top edge of the 2013 reboot.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Finally got around to finishing it and Eh, mixed feelings.

Overall enjoyed it. The things that were off to me was the a secluded inhabitants that spoke perfect English. Then the protector faction has been surviving and torturing themselves how. I don't know why I can suspend my belief over the super nature parts, but the language and people were my problem.

The settings were great, soundtrack was spectacular. The combat was serviceable. Controls at times were off, which could frustrate platforming sections. The tombs, crypts etc were entertaining.

There had to be crunch it plans changed along the way that couldn't be polished.the the ending sequence literally has a helicopter fly at you, and if you turned around it hovered in place and then popped out like it was culled them memory.

Hard to judge. Again, weird spectrum of highs and lows.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Wished they didn't have that open world village. Stopped true pacing right in its tracks because at that point i didn't really give a shit what anybody is saying. I don't know why they insert this and vendors into the game. It's not an RPG.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Finally got around to finishing it and Eh, mixed feelings.

Overall enjoyed it. The things that were off to me was the a secluded inhabitants that spoke perfect English. Then the protector faction has been surviving and torturing themselves how. I don't know why I can suspend my belief over the super nature parts, but the language and people were my problem.

The settings were great, soundtrack was spectacular. The combat was serviceable. Controls at times were off, which could frustrate platforming sections. The tombs, crypts etc were entertaining.

There had to be crunch it plans changed along the way that couldn't be polished.the the ending sequence literally has a helicopter fly at you, and if you turned around it hovered in place and then popped out like it was culled them memory.

Hard to judge. Again, weird spectrum of highs and lows.
Wasn't there a setting that you could change and they would all speak in their native tongue? I remember a developer video saying that it defaults to English to make it easier for players...

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I've been thinking about finally trying this out. I thought Rise was terrible though. I'm just hungry for Tomb Raider because - as silly as it sounds - the Lara skins in Fortnite are amazing. I wish there was a Legend-Anniversary bundle on modern consoles.