• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you found a way to enjoy the game. I never really enjoyed Sekiro. It lacks the variability of Souls games (a further step in the wrong direction like Bloodborne).

Since this topic comes up frequently I've had plenty of time to give this thought. I don't think personally I would care about Souls games as much if they were easier. The games (especially From's) don't have enough there beyond the combat for me. The task of overcoming the challenge was the only reason I became interested. I would have probably used an easy mode and bounced off this genre quickly. That doesn't mean these games shouldn't offer an easy mode, just reflecting on what that would have meant for me.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
You do you, nice that you enjoyed it that way.

For me Sekiro is all about mastering the limited system you have, by the end of Sekiro I felt like I was in full control of this tense but amazingly choreographed combat system. I don't think I would have had that feeling if the game had handed it to me.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Play how you want I say. You've just experienced a vastly different game from what was intented, but if you're fine with it that's all that matters. I'm certainly not against an easy mode if it means more people can play the game; it's just not the same experience. To me it's like watching Eraserhead and having someone on screen in the corner explaining what's happening and what it all means.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
You do you, nice that you enjoyed it that way.

For me Sekiro is all about mastering the limited system you have, by the end of Sekiro I felt like I was in full control of this tense but amazingly choreographed combat system. I don't think I would have had that feeling if the game had handed it to me.

Yeah, I remember starting a new game after beating it and then beating genichiro in that first encounter in the tutorial bit. Really showed how far I'd come.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
I approve.

I don't want to play a game 'the way the developer intended'. I want to play it how I intend.

I don't want to watch a film at the cinema as the director intended, I want to watch it at home.

I don't want to read Dickens from a physical book, I want to read it on my Kindle.

Why should I care how the creator wants me to experience their output? I've paid for it, I'll experience it how I like, and you should too.

Choice is always good.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Accessibility should be in the game to begin with, that's the only reason I still didn't play it. It's a shame because it looks so great.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
I just started Sekiro and I love how punishing the game is. The combat is complex enough to support the difficulty and encounters, while hectic, never feel overwhelming.

Also, the game wants you to use the shinobi tools and I love it. One of my biggest gripes with the Souls games is that they give you a shit load of tools to use but your character is so insanely OP that it's easier just to beat the thing in front of you to death.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I approve.

I don't want to play a game 'the way the developer intended'. I want to play it how I intend.

I don't want to watch a film at the cinema as the director intended, I want to watch it at home.

I don't want to read Dickens from a physical book, I want to read it on my Kindle.

Why should I care how the creator wants me to experience their output? I've paid for it, I'll experience it how I like, and you should too.

Choice is always good.

10000000% this

As someone who has literally no time for anything, let me enjoy my media how I want, even if that means straying from what the creators vision is.

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Trolling
Its a game not made for weenies and it shows. Parrying isn't too difficult because the game is generally OK with you mashing block during strings of boss attacks, so that argument goes out the window. For example, everyones favourite, Genichiro. You can mash like mad when he does that long multi-hit string and be totally fine.

Also the argument of "hurr i want to play my way" is so bad. Analogising it as close to a movie at home vs cinema is dumb. Easy mode is more akin to deciding "No, I want the camera over there so I can see X" instead. You're changing the internal presentation and the message it wants to get across. Sekiro is a game where both you and the enemy are extremely vulnerable, should you understand that you have the tools to make them so. Demeaning its purpose in so many ways by going "No I just want to be able to switch my brain off playing this".

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I approve.

Not sure if you're trying to make that sound like its the same thing but 1 of those arguments is not like the others. One is how and the others are where, you have a choice where to play your games just like with books and movies. Some games don't give you a choice on how to play them but thats not different than movies and books, everyone gets the same movie or book. Im not saying i disagree on acessibility options, but your comparison makes absolutely zero sense.

Zeth

Feb 8, 2018
I finished the game with god mode around launch. Enjoyed it quite a lot and preferred it to not finishing it at all.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao the gate keeping and real gamers is this thread
Exactly, some of us are adults with families and jobs. I don't have enough play time as it is and I don't want to spend the time I have frustrated as hell and repeating stuff over and over. I'd love to play these games with a less difficult setting.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
They should all have casual modes going forward because there's a lot more to these games than just their difficulty. While I would personally never use an easy mode I'm glad you experienced this incredible game in some way. Yes! I approve! YES! DO IT, FS!

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Exactly, some of us are adults with families and jobs. I don't have enough play time as it is and I don't want to spend the time I have frustrated as hell and repeating stuff over and over. I'd love to play these games with a less difficult setting.
Lmaooooo jfc the implication that you have to be some basement dwelling neck beard with no life to enjoy challenging games is just as fucking stupid as people that say shit like Mario games are for babies. Straight up embarrassing

I get the argument for a casual mode but fuck outta here with that nonsense

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmaooooo jfc the implication that you have to be some basement dwelling neck beard with no life to enjoy challenging games is just as fucking stupid as people that say shit like Mario games are for babies. Straight up embarrassing

I get the argument for a casual mode but fuck outta here with that nonsense
Settle down. Nobody called you a neck beard.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Play a different game.
Funny how some people claim to only be able to play like 3 or 4 hours a week but it seems like they still run out of games to play and need more games done for them. MMO's are too grindy for me nowadays, i could play them but i don't want to invest all my time playing just that. My solution? Take a guess. A) I'm on MMO subreddits and forums asking for the games to be less grindy so i can also enjoy them. Or B) I play other games

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
But why? If OP wishes to play this particular game with a mod or a cheat, wtf should people care or gatekeep. This is just insanity.

This thread is the hard-core gamer meme in a nutshell.
He is not talking to OP, nor is he talking about using a mod or a cheat. Im just assuming here but i don't think he has a problem with any of those things.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will never get why the idea of an easy mode in the souls games makes some people so angry, it doesn't change anything for us that wanna play them at the standard difficulty level.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
If the game had an easy mode then people wouldn't have elitist bragging rights. They just want to feel superior to other people. That's literally the only reason people are against these kind of games having an easy mode, whether they'll admit it or not.

The "easy mode in souls games" it's a discussión that has been on these forums for 5 games.
Id say 99% of people who don't want easy mode don't care about bragging rights, but how their own experience would have been worse, because I have been frustrated in every game and dropped 3 of those because of the difficulty

You have the developers and most of the fans agreeing on no easy mode, and listing their reasons, but you feel the need to "make up" a dumb reasoning to feel like you're right.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I used cheatengine while playing sekiro and had a great time, much more fun to me than the original experience. So good on you OP!

And I see the exact same idiots still get mad at people playing a game in a different way than them even though it literally impacts them 0%. Has to be an incredibly sucky life if you get upset at those things.

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Did the same as OP and it was so good.

Will never understand why people think these games don't need an easy mode

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The "easy mode in souls games" it's a discussión that has been on these forums for 5 games.
Id say 99% of people who don't want easy mode don't care about bragging rights, but how their own experience would have been worse, because I have been frustrated in every game and dropped 3 of those because of the difficulty

You have the developers and most of the fans agreeing on no easy mode, and listing their reasons, but you feel the need to "make up" a dumb reasoning to feel like you're right.
Their experience would have been literally no different since they could ignore the mode completely and just play at the default difficulty instead.

There are no valid reasons to be against an optional easy mode. If you don't like it, don't use it. Don't try pretending it would somehow alter your own experience in any way whatsoever if a game had a mode you completely ignored.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I beat all the Souls games and Bloodborne but never finished Sekiro. In the other games I kept coming back even after dozens of defeats with the same boss. With Sekiro I just dropped the game after dying a handful of times and never came back. Looking for an easy mod didn't even occur to me, I might just do that to finish the game one of these days.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Cheat codes are still the answer for this.

Easy modes require tuning and can appear as an intended way of playing even if it isn't one the designers are proud of.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Their experience would have been literally no different since they could ignore the mode completely and just play at the default difficulty instead.

I think the point the poster is trying to make is that they lack the self-discipline not to select an easy mode if given the option. So adding it will ruin the experience for them.

I don't get it personally. If I want a challenge and it is enjoyable enough I got for it easy mode be dammed

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
people saying creators' intention make me wonder if they decry people watching nolan movies with subtitles, cause clearly he wants people to have a hard time understanding the dialogue.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Awesome, good for you, OP! Just so you know, you're 100% correct and your experience with the game is 100% valid. The best part of all is that the people that didn't use this option still got to experience the game as it was designed by the developers. What do you know? Having options allows everybody to have fun in their own ways. Crazy.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easy mode again, lol. I'm on the "please no easy mode" side like the developers...
BUT!
I'm glad you make your way to play and enjoy the game OP!
Your experience shows that there's always an option if you want to play the game. Playing with mods obviously is not the same experience (it becomes a rush) but it's a good approximation if you want to explore the world and nothing more complicated.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is such an excellent game that seeing people still enjoy it with mods/cheats does not surprise me at all. Even though I still consider it's difficulty a very important part of it, everything about the gameplay is just so fun and satisfying. Glad you got to experience it, OP.

Sep 22, 2019
The first time I played the game, it felt like a challenging game, I am just replaying it now again with the new patch, and I have died around 10 times after not playing it for over a year. The game now actually feels super easy with me killing almost all bosses from the first try with the demon bell active without me retaining any muscle memory or remembering boss patterns. The game is masterfully crafted, I still don't understand why it felt so hard the first time around.

My point is if you feel you are wasting your time repeating the same segment over and over then fine play with cheats, but I feel conquering the challenge is what makes Sekiro so great, after all the story is pretty barebones.

I hope FromSoft drops the slow battle approaches and grounded gameplay, I love the verticality and Wolf's traversal speed without bullshit stamina stopping my momentum every five seconds.

Hidant

Oct 27, 2017
One aspect that is rarely brought up when discussing difficulty choices in games is how an "Easy Mode" doesn't really mean that the game is going to be easy, but that it is a difficulty tailored for those less experienced in this sort of games. In fact, having an easier difficulty choice might provide some people with something closer to the apparently sacred intended experience instead of an overly difficult one that just puts them off or makes them have a harder time than needed.

Probably the latter. There's no way around Sekiro's challenges, you kinda have to power through them. I didn't have that much of a problem because I like to play dex builds while parrying a lot, but maybe those that like to dick around with fun magic spells are going to have a real hard time adjusting.

Ding ding ding, "intended experience" in regards of difficulty doesn't take into account that not everyone has the same skill level or is able to play the game at the difficulty the developers intended for whatever the reason it may be (skill, age, disabilities, etc)

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I stuck with Sekiro up to the final boss and I regret it. I quit once I realized I wasn't really having any fun.

Beating a boss in Sekiro is a relief that I can finally move on. It never felt "good" even when I won.

Beating a boss in Bloodborne made me feel triumphant. Legit stood up jumping and screaming when I killed orphan.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Glad you got to enjoy it. Other than the last boss which took me 2 weeks to beat and that fucking guardian ape which made me put it down for 6 months, the game was challenging but fair. I needed to get good and wasn't consulting tips online to do so.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All the people in this thread trying their hardest to creatively gatekeep without getting moderated.

Good for you, OP. I thought about doing something similar so I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. I'll move it on to my list to try.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018

There are no valid reasons to be against an optional easy mode. If you don't like it, don't use it. Don't try pretending it would somehow alter your own experience in any way whatsoever if a game had a mode you completely ignored.
Exactly. Other games like DMC can be brutal in regards to difficulty but they still have an easy mode which doesn't affect the harder difficulties.

And in regards to online, just disable online when on an easier difficulty.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Still don't get why people are defending this. There should be options. Nothing stops the devs from including the options and slapping a huge notice that this is not our intended experience, they can even add the fluff to the notice of how you won't grow and will cheat yourself out of the experience.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
One of the beauties of pc gaming. I reached the final boss on PS4 but couldn't pass it. I plan to buy it on PC and start from the beginning with a similar mod. It'll be fun as hell.

Play a different game.

Lol, noice

It always sounded like a delusion.

Oct 26, 2017
Glad you enjoyed the game

To me, getting my ass kicked so much made it all the more rewarding, but to each their own. I wish people would stop gatekeeping gaming.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Its a game not made for weenies and it shows. Parrying isn't too difficult because the game is generally OK with you mashing block during strings of boss attacks, so that argument goes out the window. For example, everyones favourite, Genichiro. You can mash like mad when he does that long multi-hit string and be totally fine.

Also the argument of "hurr i want to play my way" is so bad. Analogising it as close to a movie at home vs cinema is dumb. Easy mode is more akin to deciding "No, I want the camera over there so I can see X" instead. You're changing the internal presentation and the message it wants to get across. Sekiro is a game where both you and the enemy are extremely vulnerable, should you understand that you have the tools to make them so. Demeaning its purpose in so many ways by going "No I just want to be able to switch my brain off playing this".

Not made for weenies? Dude its a video game lol.