• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I played Sekiro with an Easy Mod from Nexus Mod.

This made the game very easy, but amazingly fun.

I loved Bloodborne (plat) and DS3 (3 playthroughs), for the combat, exploration, level design, visual design... But Sekiro kicked my ass very hard and I didn't felt having to deal with the game systems for EVERY single multiple enemies confrontation...

The mod ended up making exploration feel SO MUCH more fun. Combat vs some enemies, boss and room still could be a challenge.

And yes, I think Souls game SHOULD have an easy mod. I would have given up on Sekiro after a few hours, never reaching Ashina Castle. But now, it made me love the game, explore every inch of it, going back and forth so many time to explore, try stuff, remembering NPC quests, etc...

These game have so much more to offer than punishing systems, their world and design are a joy to explore and I wish everyone could enjoy Sekiro incredible's journey as I could because I had a blast and I wish everyone could chain grappling hook accross giant castle rooftops and feel like a master ninja.

Also, people who beat Hatred Demon, kudos.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
To me one of the biggest moments of the generation was revisiting Sekiro bosses after the combat clicked and finally beating the final boss after being unable to hit it twice on the first attempts.

Easy mode probable makes explorations more fun if thats what you seek, but its obviously not the experience the devs want you to have with their game. If Serkiro had an easy mode, I probably would have used it in an early boss, and I would have missed those moments. So, I dont really like easy modes on these games.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I glitched Bloodborne so I'd have a level 200 character within the 1st hour of play. Still one of my all time favourite games. You do you, glad you enjoyed yourself.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Drive-by trolling, long history of prior infractions
nah

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll have to try that. Sekiro's combat didn't resonate with me, at least with bosses. I'm not great at parrying, and I don't particularly enjoy it. (I only ever did it in Dark Souls 1 against the final boss).

J75

Sep 29, 2018
This thread is gonna go over well.

But seriously, OP. Great to hear you enjoyed it with the mod. I love the ninja/samurai setting, but I prefer easier experiences so I need to try this mod out.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Do you intend on doing NG+ without the mod or something like that to see if your experience with the game on Easy translates to you doing better against the regular difficulty?

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Hmmmmm, good to know!

I tried From games a couple of times (with Dark Souls I and III), but ended up dropping both of them because for me the satisfaction or the rewards that I got for defeating a hard boss were not worth spending hours to achieve.

And to make matters worse sometimes I would get a pretty busy work week, would be able to play only the next weekend, and when I would pick the game back up I didn't remember where I needed to go and where I had been and would waste time walking in circles.

I never looked into it but now that I know that mods like this exist I am looking forward in trying Sekiro.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to try that. Sekiro's combat didn't resonate with me, at least with bosses. I'm not great at parrying, and I don't particularly enjoy it. (I only ever did it in Dark Souls 1 against the final boss).

What bothered me is that you have very limited tools in sekiro. Only one weapon, a few gadgets. Dodge, parry, jump. Sometimes grapple vs bosses. You cant have the diversity of builds and style of DS... The game forces you to learn how to parry because its entirely designed around it but if you struggle with timing, you are left with a game you cant progress in

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Keep meaning to try this. I'm in between games at the moment so now's a good time. What exactly does the mod do to make it easier?

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Play games however you want.

Personally for me half the fun of Sekiro was clearing a hurdle you had failed at multiple times previously. I was a way better player at the end of the game compared to when I started. That progression in skill is what makes the game so good imo.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
That's the accessibility provided by PC.

The only thing I would have modded in the game would have been the consumables/spirits that really change the combat and run out so fast.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Maybe once Sekiro goes down to $20 or such, I'll give it a whirl with this mod. Not in it for the challenge, but the world looks pretty fun to explore.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I haven't played that much of either but how can you platinum Bloodborne but not be able to get past the first boss or regular enemies in Sekiro? Is the gap in difficulty really that much? Or does Bloodborne's RPG-like elements help more?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
DeadGraveAmericangoldfinch-size_restricted.gif

/s

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I first beat Dark Souls using a trainer, game was amazing. People (even the devs) who think the game wouldn't be special without it are fuckin wrong.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I haven't played that much of either but how can you platinum Bloodborne but not be able to get past the first boss or regular enemies in Sekiro? Is the gap in difficulty really that much? Or does Bloodborne's RPG-like elements help more?

Sekiro is very different to the souls games. As op mentioned there are not a variety of ways to play. You have a sword and you have to learn to parry.

You can play and finish all the souls game never parrying once, not the case here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
One of the many advantages of playing on PC, play games however you want.

Sure, you could've also watched a YouTube let's play and gotten the same experience you had.
Nah, it's totally different as you don't have any form of control over how it plays.

It's not a "story mode" either, just more forgiving. You can also tinker the difficulty to your liking.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Oh people are already getting elitist over this shit again. Great.

However you want to play a game to make it comfortable for you is the right way to play. I'll be giving the game another shot now that it runs properly on PS5 instead of the clunky frame rate on PS4 but I'd probably have fun just adjusting options for myself so I could play it more like Tenchu.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Glad you could enjoy it, OP. Not my prefered way to play but you do you.

This thread reminded me I still have to beat the Sword Saint. Lightning reversals are the coolest thing ever but I can never pull them off lol

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't mind souls games having an exploration mode. Where the actual world is a bit easier to explore or get around. But the bosses remained the same difficulty and move set wise

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Good for you but i dont understand how someone can think so high of sekiro without the sense of acomplishment.
Maybe thinking of it as a digital playable artbook.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
glad you had fun! it's such a great experience no matter how hard/easy it was for someone. i remember struggling with it much less than i thought i would & even beating the demon of hatred on my.. third try i think? i did get stuck on lady butterfly for a whole afternoon though lmao. it's such a great game & it's worth it alone for the world, exploration etc. good to hear that the combat remains fun even if made much easier, not that i ever had any doubts in the first place. don't listen to all the elitist fucks, do whatever makes you happy!

Sure, you could've also watched a YouTube let's play and gotten the same experience you had.

so now we're at a point where easy mode = just staring at a screen for hours without any input? lmao y'all are fucking ridiculous grow up

Nathaniel_Wu

Apr 6, 2018
There're many things that can make a game difficult. Most commonly, the numbers, like how much health you have, how much damage the enemies deal.
But in Sekiro and Souls games in general, it's not the numbers, but the enemies' movement pattern, you have to learn exactly how to cope with boss's different moves, once you've learned that, bosses are easy. An easy mod, which increases your health and damage I assume, is basically defeating the game's purpose by skipping the learning. It's like turning a feature movie into a 10 minutes youtube video. Not that I have problems with short youtube videos, but they're just different.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Play games how you want to play.

And that's the beautiful thing about mods. It can make games better for others while the "BuT YoU ShOuLD OnLy PlAy iT tHe WaY DeVs InTenDeD" people can't whine about it since it doesn't affect them.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
There're many things that can make a game difficult. Most commonly, the numbers, like how much health you have, how much damage the enemies deal.
But in Sekiro and Souls games in general, it's not the numbers, but the enemies' movement pattern, you have to learn exactly how to cope with boss's different moves, once you've learned that, bosses are easy. An easy mod, which increases your health and damage I assume, is basically defeating the game's purpose by skipping the learning. It's like turning a feature movie into a 10 minutes youtube video. Not that I have problems with short youtube videos, but they're just different.

It's absolutely nothing like this and comments like this need to stop.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it, OP. They're wonderful games that obviously have so much more going for them than just pure difficulty, and it's great seeing more people get to experience them.

Of course the usual melvins are already here to tell you you didn't ACK-SHOO-ALLY enjoy it.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
That's sounds great actually, and I might try it to. I've beaten every Souls game and even platinumed some of them but I just did not like the parrying system in Sekiro. I could do it, almost beat the game, but I realized I was doing in spite of me having fun.

The "sense of accomplishment" meant jack all when I wasn't actually having fun doing it, but the atmosphere, environment, and game feel (aside from parrying) were incredible. I just got a computer that should be able to run this so I'll add it to a which list with this idea in the future. Thanks for sharing OP.

Oct 27, 2017
It's From's best game for sure. Bloodborne rules, but Sekiro is just so much more fun to play. The verticality adds so much to the level design. God bless the grappling hook.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Sekiro is really the first From Software game that I had to give me some extra life and easier timeframes for the parry, else it was like no fun at all. I did try my best but honestly, I just don't have the time to retry bosses until I can do them basically perfectly. Never mind the ones with mobs around. It's no fun to be oneshot constantly.

(btw, it's still quite hard when the enemy can still fuck you up a lot)

Last edited:

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls with cheats gets tired when scrolling trough all the weapons and upgrades at you fingertips, choice paralysis is what i'd call my experience with that. Sekiro is a single player action game with only a sword playstyle and some options and tips and tricks that make it easier like any game, nothing too complicated but it's exectuted well. Making the numbers go up make the encounters shorter, and there's hardly any loot so not that much to miss out on. There's no need to compare against others "real" playthrough, but gameplay difficulty won't be the talking point here anyway, you wanna talk about the cool shit and neat details.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it, one of my all time favs. I got the plat and finished a couple runs without Kuro's Charm because I'm a masochist, but more accessibility options are not a bad thing. They should just have an option that invalidates trophies and allows players to adjust sliders on health, damage, etc.. Cheat codes!

Sekiro's combat is exquisitely balanced and gratifying for those are able and patient, but there's so much more to the game than just fighting: the designs, the bosses, the score, the environments, the cinematography, the glorious Glock Saint... everyone should behold all that goodness.