• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried Sea of Thieves for the first time on my new Xbox One X (phenomenal console btw) and I can't remember playing a game so staggeringly, catastrophically incompetent before.

It fails on nearly every level.

The good

- it looks gorgeous, the sea and scenery are remarkably pretty... character models not so much
- HDR is some of the best i've seen, the colours are a visual feast

The bad

- the opening does a woeful job explaining just about everything. When I have to look online constantly from the start just to make slight progress it's really bad game design
- quests are implemented in the most obtuse way possible. It goes : Get Quest > return to ship > vote to make quest active > refer to quest treasure map > compare world map for corresponding island. Why not just have a menu screen toggle which quests are active along with their details?
- some islands are so tiny on the map that it makes looking for them slow going and it's not much fun scanning the whole map over and over to find out where you need you to go next
- combat is so laughably dull it makes Skyrim look like a Platinum action game
- sailing a ship on your lonesome is just unenjoyable
- the game kicks you for inactivity after just 10 minutes... even if you're going solo with a closed crew
- the enemies are dumber than bricks and lack variety
- the quests are all exactly the same and really not fun to begin with
- I never saw another soul on the high seas even after a few hours of playtime, which is apparently normal but it really feels like an empty world for a shared, online game
- sailing is boring, Wind Waker and Assassin's Creed do it far better
- my ship sank suddenly, without warning and even if I had noticed I apparently lacked the materials to fix it anyway, the game needed a tutorial badly

The "holy shit is this a joke?"

-
There is z e r o progression in the game, no faster ships, no stronger weapons, no base building, no real point to anything you do at all
- The entire game is about getting cosmetics, which could work... if there wasn't such a pitiful amount on offer. I was expecting hundreds of shirts, jackets, hats, hooks and eyepatches by now. This would be embarrassing for launch let alone now after all the updates over a year later.
- the variety in cosmetics is also severely lacking to the point of being insulting, i've read how most players think everyone looks too similar, and then you have things like this

E3IUIBV.png

I'd go on, but when the core of a game like this isn't being supported well enough that many of it's players keep asking for new cosmetics or things to do, everything else is small potatoes in comparison.

I know people will say this game is better with friends, and I have no doubt it is, but that's true for anything in life, and even with team mates it doesn't fix the game's fundamental issues, which are still there from day 1.

It can improve though but it needs to right the ship quickly, because right now it feels like i'm playing a game that's still in alpha.

But hey, at least it's still pretty.

qYjW4Y0.png

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Nope, not a joke. It's one of the best online games I've ever played. The game design is so brilliant. It's an incredibly underrated game that people instantly dismiss because it doesn't hold your hand and tell you how to do everything.

Also, while it is fun with friends, I've also had some of the best online experiences playing with random people. The community is easily one of the best online.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
No, not a joke lol. Plenty of people enjoy the game and have been enjoying it for months.
Hell, reading through your complaints and it feels like it's just not your kind of game. So many of your complaints are inane and crazy minor.

Also, the sailing is very well done. Windwaker doesn't do it better lol. Play with friends.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's a pretty revelatory experience with friends, discovering the world and sailing together is a real joy.

Playing by yourself probably isn't enjoyable at all, though, so I get where you're coming from.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
:/ i would have thought the game would have improved a bit by now, but it still seems to have the same issues that were talked about ad naseum at launch.

Unless that's just how the game is supposed to be in which case, yeah...what a misfire

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you played it solo. Going in with a crew to learn the mechanics, travel together, engage with other crews, and mess around is where all the fun is and there's nothing else like it.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Oh, I missed the part where you said the sailing is boring in this game. I can't take any of the rest of your criticism seriously if you think sailing in Ass Creed is better.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I feel like death stranding will be the ps4's sea of thieves. In the way that it totally isn't for everyone but the people that enjoy it will love it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Every ship spawns with 15 planks, how did you get into a situation where it "suddenly" sank that had more than 15 holes?

I agree with the combat, it really ruins the game for me. If they rework it I would be so happy, I like every other aspect of the game.

Or they could create a ship vs ship only arena mode in which you cannot leave your ship.

OP
OP
Betty

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you played it solo. Going in with a crew to learn the mechanics, travel together, engage with other crews, and mess around is where all the fun is and there's nothing else like it.

I've no doubt it would've been more enjoyable with others, even strangers, but I do not see this game being on rotation with partners against the likes of Gears 5, Rocket League or Rainbow Six.

I feel like death stranding will be the ps4's sea of thieves. In the way that it totally isn't for everyone but the people that enjoy it will love it.

Death Stranding has so much more gameplay elements that it can't really be compared. It's more like a No Man's Sky.

Maybe Sea of Thieves will build itself up like No Man's did too, who knows, but i'm seeing no signs of that so far.

OP
OP
Betty

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Wind Waker does sailing better"..

Can't take any of your post seriously after that.

C'mon it does.

The wind catching your sails, letting you zip along feels so good in that game compared to this, plus you can manipulate the airspeed so you go even faster.

If there was an even nippier, smaller boat than the sloop in Sea of Thieves that would be great.

Speaking of which, there should be WAY more ship options than the 3 you get.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Sea of thieves is not a big deal game and no amount of updating will make it a big deal, but i think there's going to be a big deal game in the next decade that is going to be able to pretty directly trace the lineage of its design back to what sea of thieves is trying to do.

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry can't agree. I have had experiences on SoT that are far more memorable than anything from any MP or SP game I have ever played. The game doesn't hold your hand and you have to make your own adventure. That clearly isn't many people cup of tea. It's amazing IMO.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Boring alone

Incredibly & unbelievably fun with friends. The quests and pearls are so real, especially with cargo.

There is no in between

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): Console warring, history of similar infractions.
Yeah it's probably the most boring game ever, no redeeming qualities imo other than beautiful water. I'm honestly regretting purchasing X, there are no great exclusive games outside of Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 (can't even call the 2 goty contender), worst console in terms of exclusive and UI, luckily i'm on gamepass so it's cheap

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
My experience with the game was similar OP. The gameplay is the worst part in my opinion. Just not feel good to control, fight, sail...

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's probably the most boring game ever, no redeeming qualities imo other than beautiful water. I'm honestly regretting purchasing X, there are no great exclusive games outside of Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 (can't even call the 2 goty contender), worst console in terms of exclusive and UI, luckily i'm on gamepass so it's cheap

We gamefaqs now bois!

OP
OP
Betty

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep dont agree with anything op says

My gotg.

(;¬_¬)

Not even that it looks gorgeous with great HDR?

UI takes some getting used to (only had mine less than 2 weeks) but it's really snappy.

And yes, Gears 5 & Forza are god tier honestly.

Also love how Xbox has more mod support for Fallout 4 over PS4.

And thanks to Game Pass i'll be playing The Outer Worlds next month when it wasn't even on my radar.

It's an incredible piece of machinery, feels like a next gen device at times.

I had been planning to use up my 2 month Game Pass sub then sell the X, now I'm subbed until Nov 2020.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
"Wind Waker does sailing better"..

Can't take any of your post seriously after that.
Yeah, op needs to go back to whatever his comfort zone for games is. Sea of Thieves is an amazing game with one of the most immersive sailing experiences even if you have issues getting merc'd by other crews. The game has had an amazing track record of support since it came out also.

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer with friends is kinda fun. But i cant bring me to play multiplayer games for a extended amount of time.
Solo is unfun, as the game is not made to be played that way, but oh boy a single-player game on that world, with more "meat", would be glorious

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
It can be fun just joining random crews if u got no one to roll with. In a different way than the other multi games you mentioned. Much more of a kick back with a drink or whatever and chill game...The fun is in the spontaneous moments/stupidity created by others a lot of the time. By yourself, not so much.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I see tremendous potential, but it's incredibly flawed in execution. But people will defend those choices at every turn.

At the end of the day, very long multi part tall tale missions with no options to save progress is what sinks it for me.

I do really like the sailing.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend watching some pros play it to get an idea of the game flow. That's easy enough just YouTubing. One of the best co-op games ever made.

And the sailing beats the tar out of WW, lol.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I still think about how awesome a singleplayer focused meaty campaign with the typical Rare charm would have been.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with OP. I played the game with friends upon release and this was pretty much our exact experience and reaction. Sad to see not much has changed.

I guess it's nice to know that some people are having fun with it... I just don't understand how.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
sailing is boring, Wind Waker and Assassin's Creed do it far better

Also op, I strongly encourage you to give the game a second try with a premade crew since it's painfully obvious you've been playing by yourself or with randoms.
Sailing in Sea of Thieves is a team effort, even the sloop is designed to be sailed by two players while being relatively accesible to a single person. There are even tutorials on how to perform advanced sailing techniques in Sea of Thieves.

I haven't played in months but I'm sure if you post on the SoT OT you can find a crew willing to take you under their wing, there are many great people there with shit-ton of hours of experience in the game.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
the game is like nothing else out there when you're sailing with friends, but it's definitely a game where you're making your own fun for the most part. the cosmetics are definitely limited and kind of weak, but I'm kind of glad there's no ship stat modification stuff—combat with other players relies entirely on your skill and coordination rather than having bigger numbers, which i think is a positive.

i think more personalization stuff is important. if you could decorate your ships more, have a crew base, etc etc it would add a lot, but i still love the sailing experience with friends.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Also, while it is fun with friends, I've also had some of the best online experiences playing with random people. The community is easily one of the best online.

tbh, the community is why I stopped playing. I tried it a few times and kept getting thrown into the brig by the rest of the crew. I have no idea why or what I did? Once I was just waited on the boat for everyone to get off the first island and apparently that was enough to get into the brig.

Tried to go solo instead and got destroyed almost immediately by another (bigger) ship.

I can see it being really fun with friends and probably had really bad luck, but... didn't really encourage me to play more.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Did this post more than a year ago, I'm not sure if it's still relevant, since I'll never be back to Sea of Thieves

I bought the game when it was launched and realize another thing.

When I was walking around the first outpost, I was thinking "where's everyone? There isn't any foe, any restricted area or any NPC interactions on this place, apart from the place that I buy my ale or the places that I pick quests"
When I was reaching at the top at some islands, I thought "if I had the ability of climbing fast, with ropes or even using some athletics, the pace of this game would be a lot better"
When I was searching for the tresure, I thought on "why there's any puzzle or even some security of some other pirates around here?"
When I was fighting against another pirate ship, I thought on "why I can't make them surrender and pick them for my squadron?"
When I was in the sea, I got myself thinking "why I can't even hire some npc's in the tavern and make them to obey my commands?"
When I was in the full-sail, I got myself thinking "why there's only four songs, and none of them can be sung with my crew?"
When I was fighting against something in the island with my ship, I thought "why I can't go and dominate that Island?"
When I was searching for booty in a sunken ship, I thought "why there's so few marine fauna on this? Also, why all the sunken ships are basically the same?"
When I was in the islands, I thought on "why there isn't any cities on this? Also, why I can't basically do a search quest against a NPC and negotiate or even kill someone which I have some business"

Then I realized that I didn't wanted a pirate game, what I wanted was an Assassin's Creed Black Flag all over again - minus the assassin's part.

This game... well, this game exists. That's all. It's not the prime from Rare, and can't make justice to the old SNES games. This "sideway/lateral progression" is a joke, because you can't even improve your character with more stamina, more carry capacity or even breath or swimming speed. The sea is beautiful, at least, and becalmed is touching. But that's all.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
- There is z e r o progression in the game, no faster ships, no stronger weapons, no base building, no real point to anything you do at all

I'm quoting this specific phrase because I feel it encapsulates your entire post.

You were expecting a different game OP, and left disappointed. Almost all of your complains were design decisions by the team. The game is supposed to be "physical" (the way you look at a map for example, or how you have to open a book for clues) and a giant sandbox. You are suppose to play it for the experiences. They have tried to implement some competitive mode (The arena, which in my opinion kind of sucks because it isn't ranked) and a "campaign" (Tell tale missions, they are pretty cool but really long if you are going solo). They have tried to give players the feeling of discovery that you would find in games like Minecraft when you found how to craft something new.

In the end, this is a game to be enjoyed with other people. Sure, you can go solo and still have fun but that was never the "ideal sea of thieves experience".

Do this, get a friend or two gamepass for a month and play the first 3 tell tale missions. You will have a considerably better experience. Can't promise you will fall in love with the game but I find it hard to not have fun in this game when playing with other people.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It saddens me that people need progression systems for games to have value.

But the entire OP seems to hinge on the fact that SoT isn't the game they wanted. That's ok, just move on. No need to be angry about it.

Jun 22, 2018
It sounds like you were just expecting and/or hoping for a completely different type of game.

My favorite thing about the game is that it doesn't hold your hand or give you any short cuts. It just makes it feel so refreshingly unique.

Want to see the map while steering your boat? Well F you, go walk to it. lol.

I love it. It was my most played game of 2018 and so far in 2019 as well.

Last edited:

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Spoken like someone who played an hour or two at most, and called it a day.

Though I agree to an extent OP. I don't think I've ever played a game that was harder to get into. Though once you're in, it's truly remarkable.