• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Recently, my brother gifted me $50 through Steam for my birthday, and I ended up purchasing Return of the Obra Dinn, Katana Zero, and Sayonara Wild Hearts. I began with Obra Dinn ... but quickly found I wasn't in the right headspace for that game, so I put it on the backburner. I got about 6 or 7 stages through Katana Zero, and I was feeling a break. Sayonara was the title that was furthest off my radar of the three, and I can't believe just how wrong I was. The first thing I noticed while booting it up is that it's an Annapurna Interactive game. I knew I was in for a treat from that alone given their reputation and history of games. Edith Finch, Outer Wilds, Kentucky Route Zero, Gone Home, etc. It's a screen splash that now immediately sets my mood for something good to come. This game is yet another hit in the catalogue.

For reference, I'm currently using a 27", 1440p, 144 Hz G-Sync monitor on my PC as well as a pair of Sennheiser 558s, and this game stretched both of those to their limits.

The game itself is extremely simple in that you only need the space bar and the arrow keys to get through every single stage, but Sayonara Wild Hearts is all about presentation. My reaction was ricocheting back-and-forth from being mouth agape to grinning from ear-to-ear. It's a very short game with a solid amount of replayability in the form of high scores, but I felt that every minute I played was worthwhile. The standout feature of this game, though, is the music. If nothing else, this game needs to be experienced for its soundtrack.

I cannot say enough positive things about this short, lovely game. If you're on the fence, buy it. It's tough to go too much into detail considering how short the game is, considering how delightful the little surprises are from level to level ... but maybe watch like 20 total seconds of a stream. No more. You'll get the gist of what to expect. If at the end of the day you enjoy a visually gorgeous presentation and a banging soundtrack, drop some dollars on this today.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
A real hidden gem. A marvelous experience, even if a really short one.

Tokikko

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The visual/audio presentation was superb although the game itself is quite shallow. I still sometimes turn it on to play a stage or two, they really have nailed the visual style for it.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
I really enjoyed the music and presentation but I think playing it on mobile ruined my experience of it since it felt like I was fighting the controls the whole time.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Was listening to the soundtrack again last week, great game. Probably my second favourite indie this gen, besides Inside.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
My GOTY last year <3

Incredible experience, and one of those I'd kill for to experience for the first time again.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Played it again recently and damn, it just gives me chills. Wonderful game, one of the best soundtracks of the generation.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
One of my favorite games from last year, still think a lot about it & listen to the soundtrack every now & again. The game has a very special part in my heart which I never expected from something that took me a little over an hour to finish. Planning to get a tattoo of the Lovers card even!

Annapurna Interactive games have the best fucking track record when it comes to amazing & weird indies I end up loving, can't think of a single game they published over the past few years that I didn't love. I'm not someone who trusts publishers much, but they're genuinely so authentic & a joy to interact with on Twitter. Their unconditional love for the games they publish is super infectious too. Really wish there were more like them.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
Amazing game, OP. Glad you found it. It's in my top 3 for this gen. Currently hooked on the OST, which they thankfully released as an album. Dead of Night and Wild Hearts Never Die are so good.

Also agree with your comments regarding Annapurna. They have an outstanding track record.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It is a great experience, but if you only consider the gameplay, it is quite simple.
I'd love to play an VR version of it, i think it just fits the game perfectly

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i went to a friend's house and she made me play it on it's entirety

i bough the game and made a friend play most of it.

she bought the game xD

This game is like a an awesome empowering The Ring tape

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I still like to listen to the soundtrack for this. It's a fun game to play through every now and again.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's less a game and more a Winamp visualizer. Interesting soundtrack though.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
one of my favorite games of the recent years. such a great experience. the dev's other games are worth checking out too. all of them are on iOS and one of them (Year Walk) is on Steam and Wii U as well.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Amazing game. One of my favorites of the generation. It's one I often recommend to people, but sadly, they tend to dismiss it or put it off for another time. :[

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite game in recent years. Left a mark. I listen to the OST quite often.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the game. I basically listen to the full soundtrack once a day.

But I'm also not very good at it. I don't think I got a single gold rank in my playthrough. :(

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I need to check it out.

Obra Dinn is a game I need to get back into.

Katana Zero is quality too.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The gameplay was hit or miss especially depending on the stage but yeah those visuals and songs wow

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
An Amazing game. I'll echo the sentiment about visuals and music, to say it is one of the best of the gen. I did play the game on switch and it plays and sounds great.

OP
OP
Lobster Roll

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
What once began as an LTTP thread is now an RTTP thread. I'm having a weird moment of overlapping threads at the moment. As I put one of my two cats in "cat jail" (my office with the door closed and me in there for a hangout buddy) due to horrific fighting as outlined in this recent thread ...
www.resetera.com

Anybody have experience with cat pheromone diffusers?

Recently, one of our cats has been urinating outside of the litter box, especially at night, and every once in a while it's tinged slightly red. We've taken her to the vet twice now, and the only result that shows is feline idiopathic cystitis which is simply the bladder gets inflamed due to...
...I found myself sat at my computer going through my Steam library because I wanted something short to play while my one cat cooled off and got her shit together. I saw Sayonara Wild Hearts and decided to jump back in for another play.

Era ... this game. I swear. It's so simple, so short, so beautiful, and so magical. The music and the brief journey penetrates my heart every time and I finish the game feeling like I just shed an emotional weight. I have no idea why but the game almost makes me want to cry haha. There are many ways to interpret the journey taken, but I think the most common thread is the cycle of heartbreak -> grief / depression -> inner strength -> self-love -> moving on.

It's a beautiful game. And with that said, the game is currently on sale through Xbox. Please go out and buy this game if you are even remotely interested:

Buy Sayonara Wild Hearts | Xbox

Sayonara Wild Hearts is a euphoric music video dream about being awesome, riding motorcycles, skateboarding, dance battling, shooting lasers, wielding swords, and breaking hearts at 200 mph. As the heart of a young woman breaks, the balance of the universe is disturbed. A diamond butterfly...

It's $8. EIGHT bucks. What do you have to lose? ("Eight bucks" yeah, yeah, I know. Just give it a try.)

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Didn't care for it at all unfortunately. For such a short game, it was a real struggle to get to the end because of how boring I found it.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
Really loved it, got the plat for PS4. The album was my most played of 2020, too.

It fundamentally is just Temple Run, but damn does it have style.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I replay this game pretty frequently. The mode that unlocks that allows you to play through the entire game with no breaks is so damn cool.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I think I played this on a whim shortly after it came out and was pleasantly surprised. I still sometimes listen to the soundtrack when I'm working.

I loved this game/experience. And that's saying something, as I normally don't enjoy modern games.

The best way to think of it is an interactive music video, which is, I believe, how it was conceptualized.

Agreed. I came in for the soundtrack which everyone told me was really good synth pop. Left dissatisfied.

It's a fantastic soundtrack, but what classifying it as synth-pop is probably a bit off.
What type of synth-pop were you expecting?

Either way, not enjoying the soundtrack is probably a good sign the game isn't going to be for you.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
No idea why i didn't play this before but i just finished all the stages and thought it was a fantastic experience.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It's a perfect game. Tons of clever variation on a simple gameplay formula and no gimmick overstays its welcome. Parallel Universes might be one of my favourite levels in years.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
The soundtrack though. I really would love to see a follow up album/game at some point in the future.

+1 to Parallel Universes as it has a wonderful track for that level too. *finger snaps*

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the soundtrack, although the gameplay was a bit basic for my tastes.

Overall a very lovely experience though and I really liked the narration by Queen Latifa.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Beautiful game with an incredible soundtrack. It's fun to just replay levels so you can listen to the music.

Jul 1, 2020
I love how well SWH nails the "interactive pop album idea. The music is incredible, the length and the price are about the same too. Plus the visuals and the story are top notch. I'm grateful that it's not stranded on Apple Arcade. I recommend it whenever I can.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I might just have to bite the bullet and buy this on a console because the Apple Arcade version keeps on erasing my progress with the awful cloud save functionality and ridiculously wonky touch controls. I want to love this game so bad but it's trying so hard to make me hate it.