• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
A Playstation gamer's foray into Xbox (via GamePass) continues. I've completed Gears 4, Halo 5, and Quantum Break since I got my Series X and now I'm tackling Ryse: Son of Rome.

I don't know if these games are just catching me in the right frame of mind but again I am enjoying it and my early impressions are that the game is underrated relative to the general consensus in the gaming community (similar to Quantum Break). Then again I like history and I liked the old Assassin's creed combat which this seems to be inspired by. The game is gorgeous especially considering that it was an Xbox One launch game. It seems like it was a great launch showpiece with straightforward accessible gameplay, high production values and great visuals.

Anybody else playing Ryse for the first time?

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I played this back at launch of the Xbox One, enjoyed it quite a bit. I wish this game would get upgraded for Series X, would definitely do another run.

redlentil

Oct 27, 2017
Not specifically, but it definitely feels fresh jumping from PS to Xbox (and vice versa) every few years. They both have a very different focus in terms of first party. I skipped any contact with Xbox last gen so it feels super fresh to me at the moment, with a lot of content to catch up on. Gamepass is fantastic.

Slair

Oct 27, 2017
Played it on PC back in the day. I remember liking it more than I thought I would and more than the critics consensus was.

There are only 2 things I remember about the game thinking back though. The beach landing scene and the guy with the jiggling cheek physics.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Not specifically, but it definitely feels fresh jumping from PS to Xbox (and vice versa) every few years. They both have a very different focus in terms of first party. I skipped any contact with Xbox last gen so it feels super fresh to me at the moment, with a lot of content to catch up on. Gamepass is fantastic.
I'm the same. Playing Gears 5 and both Ori games at launch feels incredible.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I played Ryse a long time after it released. I didn't finish it because I got distracted by other games, but I enjoyed what I played. Graphically it looks excellent considering the base Xbox One's specs too.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
It's so, so basic. Shallow combat, shallow story. Great graphics though, and mindless slaughter of barbarians is fine for a time. Horrible turret sections too.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I think many thought... hey this is a good base for a franchise, the second game could be epic. Then we just never got a second game.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably one of the best launch games last gen imo. I echo the opinion it was a good first effort and I think a followup could have pushed it from good to great.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Great combat that gets repetitive and needs a sequel

Great story with memorable characters and decent writing

Excellent graphics

Epic set pieces

This is one of the most inaccurately criticized games of the last gen IMO. But I also love games for being what they are. It needs a sequel.