• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they mentioned wanting to have multiple planets and was creating a main protagonist before switching to create a character. I wonder how they'd make a sequel implementing either of these.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Most of this is just... not true. I appreciate that you may not have liked the game when you played it, but literally 80% of this wall of text is untrue.
Wall of text, lol. There are 9 lines of text. Considering most of my post is subjective and personal impressions, it's interesting to have someone claim the feeling i had with the game is factually untrue.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wall of text, lol. There are 9 lines of text. Considering most of my post is subjective and personal impressions, it's interesting to have someone claim the feeling i had with the game is factually untrue.

Just scanning your text I'm not sure what you mean by entire world maps locked by missions because I'm almost certain I went to all the continents well before the story intended me to be there.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Just scanning your text I'm not sure what you mean by entire world maps locked by missions because I'm almost certain I went to all the continents well before the story intended me to be there.
I know for a fact the game didn't let me enter certain continents when i wanted to. But again, it's been so long since i played it. I gave it a fair shot, played over 50 hours, and it was one disappointment after another. Can't remember exactly all the things i felt were wrong with it because it's been so long and i have little interest in revisiting it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope this gets a Switch port now that Xenoblade Chronicles is out. I still have a Wii U, but I really don't like paying games on it.

I don't even need the effort of the XBC1 remake, just bring X over straight and d be happy!

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope this gets a Switch port now that Xenoblade Chronicles is out. I still have a Wii U, but I really don't like paying games on it.

I don't even need the effort of the XBC1 remake, just bring X over straight and d be happy!
That would/will be great, though I'd really miss the Wii U gamepad. XCX is literally the only game I ever played on that system (albeit for 400+ hours) and I loved the dual-screen design.

I'd feel bad for people who never experienced it that way. But I'll take what I can get!

Finished the Main Story
OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Where do I begin...?

Since I posted the thread, I've been binging the hell out of some of the side quests, and they only kept getting better and better. I love how adding more and more alien species to NLA feels like an expanded version of Colony 9 from the original Xenoblade - the sidequest chains are just unreal, and they're almost all super interesting! It almost makes the game's narrative feel more like Anime Star Trek with the way you and your crew deals with these quests and stories, and I was 100% here for it.

The main story is pretty barebones until the end, like everyone said, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing; the ending resonates insanely well if you bothered to take your time and do affinity missions, immerse yourself in the world, and really get to know the characters. It's a story that really is much more about the journey - your journey, not-so-much a distinct narrative. It's different, but it still feels really good at the end of it all.

...speaking of which, that ending.

I need a sequel YESTERDAY. YOU CAN'T JUST END THE GAME THAT WAY.

"It's this planet. It's something about this planet..."

clmCmUD.png

David Kjellson

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I always thought that X was the best in the series, and after I played DE for a while the past week, I realized that this game needs to come to Switch. I'd love to explore areas such as Noctilum and Sylvalum again, and I absolutely love the side quests about immigrating other alien races. I've been actually thinking about digging out my Wii U just to play it again.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reading this makes me want to fire the game up and start a new playthrough. Just gotta wait for my new gamepad charger to come in the mail...

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think they mentioned wanting to have multiple planets and was creating a main protagonist before switching to create a character. I wonder how they'd make a sequel implementing either of these.
Easy, make Elma the true protagonist and have them search for other white whales along with facing Ganglion opposition.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

The ending is good shit, especially since I binged the game's side stories too and got really into the world. Hopefully, we get that sequel one day

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
X is probably the most mature of the three Xenoblades in its overall tone, too. I don't mean "mature" in the sense that the story is dark or anything, but that the game feels like it was designed by adults for adults. People that understand things like jobs and responsibility and being part of a society. Nearly everybody in the game speaks like an adult and treats you like one as well.

When you become part of BLADE, they go to great lengths to convey that you're part of something larger. You aren't the most important person in the world, people don't love you and hang on to your every word, and you aren't the chosen one destined to save the world from blah blah blah. I love that yours is one squad of many in BLADE, and a lot of them are hinted at being extremely capable in their own right.

This ties into gameplay, too. The way they have you pick a BLADE division at the start of the game, and spell out what your responsibilities are. I love it. Every single little thing in Xenoblade X is designed to make you feel like you're helping humanity rebuild itself on an alien planet, and doing it as part of a team.

Finally, I love the dialogue. There are little touches and flourishes, like Elma explaining why the probes are installed using lasers and buried deep underground. And she does this as you're installing your very first probe. It adds a lot to the worldbuilding and helps making everything that much more believable. This is, for my money, one of the best-written, most engrossing, and fleshed out JRPG worlds. And it has none of the usual JRPG "bullshit".
That's one beautifully worded post. Thank you. The whole aspect of expanding NLA by allowing newcomer species to settle in it, sometimes unlocking new gameplay stuff? Mindblown.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I've probably said it a hundred times, but I'll say it again. This game is special. If there is to be a "best game I've ever played", it's got to be this one.

They nailed pretty much everything. My two main gripes are that the story is too "short" (insanely good, but there's too little of it), and that the post game is way too grindy (even though when you know what you're doing, it can be alleviated by a mile).

Everything else is just perfect. Characters are amazing for the most part. Even Lin, which I expected to be the usual creepy loli, was a great character all along. Music is ... I have no words. It fits the setting perfectly. The gameplay is so cool even if yes Skell battles are less interesting than ground battles. Of course the level design is something else entirely. It's great at two fucking different scales. Who in their right mind attempts that? And delivers? So good.

There are a few nitpicks of course like the random online disconnections "forcing" you to reboot the game, or the sound mixing having a few issues in some cutscenes, but other than that it's a marvelous technical achievement of a beautifully performing gigantic open-world with almost no bugs and glitches on a freakin WiiU.

Even the way they used the gamepad is cool.

We want Cross 2 Takahashi. And don't you dare put your latest Xeno 2 creepiness in it.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, I just started Xeno Definitive and the resolution is all over the place. I'm cool with waiting I guess, as long as it comes out eventually, this Nintendo generation or the next. It'd be cool if they revisited it before launching a sequel.

I think Xenoblade is a well enough established name now that it'll justify a re-release.

For the people that played, what improvements would you consider most important for an updated version? I've read some stuff about insurance and I know there's the concept of fuel as well, were those fine as they were, or could they be improved upon or even eliminated altogether? What else?

the biggest thing that needs reworking is how much content is gated by trivial things.

for example Affinity missions are side quests similar to recruitment missions in Mass Effect 2/3. Except wether you can do these missions is tied to how often you have used the character previously so the game loop mostly involves you grinding with under leveled characters you are unfamiliar with until you get enough affinity points by regular battles to play their cool missions.

reworking this system and other progression gates would be huge. Additionally I would suggest adding more side missions into the main path. There are a few story critical side missions that you can skip or play out of order. Folding these into the main branch would go a long way to rectifying the games "story" complaints

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
When this game came out, I was really disappointed. I wanted something like Xenoblade 1, and this game wasn't trying to be that at all. The main character was a lame self insert silent protagonist instead of an actual person in the world. I never understood the online or why it was there. The end of the game felt like the end of Act 1, and then the rest of the story just doesn't happen. It sets up a ton of mysteries and then gives you no answers at all. I was also annoyed that the game introduces all these cool aliens and none of them are playable. The entire squad is just regular humans. Also the flying Skell broke the game and turned every quest into taking off, pointing at the exclamation mark, flying till you get there, and landing. No more exploration.

But, now that Xenoblade 2 has come out and been the thing I actually wanted, I remember X more fondly. Mira is amazingly designed, the side content is amazing and a lot of the quests are really fantastic. Inviting all the different aliens to new LA and gradually learning about their cultures was great. I'm really looking forward to trying the game again soon now that I can appreciate it for what it is; instead of resenting it not being something else.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the biggest thing that needs reworking is how much content is gated by trivial things.

for example Affinity missions are side quests similar to recruitment missions in Mass Effect 2/3. Except wether you can do these missions is tied to how often you have used the character previously so the game loop mostly involves you grinding with under leveled characters you are unfamiliar with until you get enough affinity points by regular battles to play their cool missions.

reworking this system and other progression gates would be huge. Additionally I would suggest adding more side missions into the main path. There are a few story critical side missions that you can skip or play out of order. Folding these into the main branch would go a long way to rectifying the games "story" complaints

I kinda get it if the point is getting you to play with every party member, but if you're required to grind, yeah, doesn't sound too good in practice.

Do these story related side missions contain actual cutscenes or just characters standing around talking to each other?

I remember ducktroll posting about the X artbook and this dark knight character that ended up not really being in the game at all, so maybe they've got some stuff they want to add to the main story. I'm assuming an X definitive edition is a matter of when, not if 🤷‍♂️

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I just re-installed and played a bit of X because of this thread just to get a taste of this world again for the first time in 5 years and my god...it looks so freaking good still. Waaaay better than XB2 and playing XB1 now kinda feels quaint in comparison. They really did an unbelievably good job in creating the world. I was afraid it might disappoint after all these years, but I'm actually super impressed, I kinda forgot how amazing the world really looks and I'm shocked and a bit baffled that XB2 doesn't even come close to this.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
When this game came out, I was really disappointed. I wanted something like Xenoblade 1, and this game wasn't trying to be that at all. The main character was a lame self insert silent protagonist instead of an actual person in the world. I never understood the online or why it was there. The end of the game felt like the end of Act 1, and then the rest of the story just doesn't happen. It sets up a ton of mysteries and then gives you no answers at all. I was also annoyed that the game introduces all these cool aliens and none of them are playable. The entire squad is just regular humans. Also the flying Skell broke the game and turned every quest into taking off, pointing at the exclamation mark, flying till you get there, and landing. No more exploration.

But, now that Xenoblade 2 has come out and been the thing I actually wanted, I remember X more fondly. Mira is amazingly designed, the side content is amazing and a lot of the quests are really fantastic. Inviting all the different aliens to new LA and gradually learning about their cultures was great. I'm really looking forward to trying the game again soon now that I can appreciate it for what it is; instead of resenting it not being something else.
Exactly. I too came in expecting a narrative driven JRPG and was dissapointed seeing that there wasn't much of it here. But now looking back on it, it never tried to be that, and I shouldn't judge it based on that. It's the same with BOTW. If you see it as what it is, you'll enjoy it a lot more than forcing it to be what you want it to be.

This game needs a second chance.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, I just re-installed and played a bit of X because of this thread just to get a taste of this world again for the first time in 5 years and my god...it looks so freaking good still. Waaaay better than XB2 and playing XB1 now kinda feels quaint in comparison. They really did an unbelievably good job in creating the world. I was afraid it might disappoint after all these years, but I'm actually super impressed, I kinda forgot how amazing the world really looks and I'm shocked and a bit baffled that XB2 doesn't even come close to this.
Same here. The graphics and resolution look really really good compared to XC2 and XC:DE. Seeing those white birds flying around Primordia, albeit a small aspect, somewhat elevates my perception of the graphics for me.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Where do I begin...?

Since I posted the thread, I've been binging the hell out of some of the side quests, and they only kept getting better and better. I love how adding more and more alien species to NLA feels like an expanded version of Colony 9 from the original Xenoblade - the sidequest chains are just unreal, and they're almost all super interesting! It almost makes the game's narrative feel more like Anime Star Trek with the way you and your crew deals with these quests and stories, and I was 100% here for it.

The main story is pretty barebones until the end, like everyone said, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing; the ending resonates insanely well if you bothered to take your time and do affinity missions, immerse yourself in the world, and really get to know the characters. It's a story that really is much more about the journey - your journey, not-so-much a distinct narrative. It's different, but it still feels really good at the end of it all.

clmCmUD.png

Xenoblade X's secondary major story concerning the Delfinians is so much better than the main story it's almost silly and it's all optional.

Plus the little ways that they have even minor animations for the npcs in NLA. The way Ma-non completely misunderstand how the game of tennis is played things is hilarious.

Last edited:

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018

This reminds me a lot of Zelda: Majora's Mask and how people were disappointed because of the time travel mechanic and an overall shorter main quest. The game put more effort into side activities compared to earlier games in the series. Once people had their fill of the next more traditional game like Wind Waker or Twilight Princess, people could look back at Majora's Mask and start to appreciate it for being different than the standard Zelda game.

Do these story related side missions contain actual cutscenes or just characters standing around talking to each other?

Affinity Missions does have voices but only some of them feature cutscenes with custom/exclusive animation work.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I kinda get it if the point is getting you to play with every party member, but if you're required to grind, yeah, doesn't sound too good in practice.

I remember ducktroll posting about the X artbook and this dark knight character that ended up not really being in the game at all, so maybe they've got some stuff they want to add to the main story. I'm assuming an X definitive edition is a matter of when, not if 🤷‍♂️

they contain actual cutscenes. There are 3 types of missions, basic (standing around talking) affinity (character focus'd with cutscenes) and Main story missions.

each character has an affinity tree (basically a meter measuring how often you use characters/do heart to hearts/main missions ect) and when you get to a level of affinity (say 2 hearts) then a character specific mission opens up that helps you to know them better. There are usually 2 per playable character and some require 80% to 100% affinity so its a huge grind that locks players out of some of the games best content

Oct 25, 2017

This trailer was so amazing. I've watched it so many times, seriously one of my favorite game trailers ever.

It's basically all the content I've had with this game, though, hahaha. Never could justify buying a WiiU for it.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I've begun replaying X myself, and I'm actually replaying it alongside a second playthrough of Breath of the Wild. There are some interesting differences between the two. The main difference I've noticed is that BOTW is a much more "relaxed" game.

You spend most of the game by yourself, wandering through vast spaces of quiet emptiness, taking in nature and the world. You spend a lot of time poking around and just... exploring for the sake of exploring, which I love. I wish more games did this and that more people learnt to appreciate it instead of needing every single area to be packed with NPCs and "story" and "things to do". BOTW's quiet moments help make the action-y moments and the moments of discovery that much more poignant. It's a game where I can feel content just riding around on my horse for 15 minutes at a time, taking it all in, and when I come across a village or settlement or Shrine, it always stirs up that feeling of excitement and discovery. The game remains this way all throughout.

Xenoblade X, on the other hand, is very different. Like BOTW, nearly the entire map is accessible from the start of the game, but everything surrounding its open world behaves very differently. It's made abundantly clear right from the get-go that you have a mission (to chart Mira, find useful resources, and help the rest of BLADE re-establish a human settlement on the planet). Mission structure, story, exploration, and combat are in service of this. When you discover a new area or landmark, it's important because you're helping BLADE chart the planet. When you defeat enemies, it's important because you're helping keep the wildlife under control and from growing too dangerous. When you plant probes, it's important because you're helping BLADE gather intel or mine for resources.

At every point, you're reminded that you're part of something larger. Your own party is with you at all times, and even the party banter during combat has this amazing sense of collaboration and urgency to it. As you plant more probes, more and more BLADE members begin to show up in these previously uncharted lands, and their dialogue about the kind of research they're doing reminds you again that you aren't in this alone. In BOTW, you "conquer the land" by gaining control of how you traverse it. In X, you are very much literally re-establishing a foothold for humanity as you play. The music is designed to make you feel like you're doing important work, too, and doing it stylishly. Even X's quieter moments feel exciting because the music is constantly pumping you up and making you feel like an explorer.

The best thing is, the feel of the game flips completely once you get your mech. That's when X affords you those quiet moments that BOTW has. When you can ride or fly around in your mech and just soak in the sights. By that point, you're also high level enough that most of the wildlife won't engage you, and you can actually focus on seeking out harder to find areas or enemies to defeat. It's amazing how the game basically has three different layers of exploration: first on foot, then via mech on land, and finally via mech in the air. And all three feel distinct.