• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I really enjoyed it too, more than my (admittedly short) playthrough of XC1 on New3DS and so much more than my very brief try of XC2. Exploration and the journey to get your mech was great.

I really hope we see a remake/remaster for switch.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only one I haven't played yet. Really need to get around to it soon since I'm probably skipping XCDE for now and still have my Wii U hooked up. :)

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played 2 or finished 1(got stuck at the end) but X is my favorite as well. I love Skell flight and I have a huge mecha fetish so I'm biased

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
It's so, so fucking good. One of my favorite games of all time.

OP's a cool person, btw.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand people saying that they lost interest in the game when they got the skell to be honest. I understand that it can trivialize combat, but it's not like the game forces you to use it all that much. For many cases it's more optional for combat, and in terms of mobility it lets you reach some places you otherwise absolutely cannot reach without it. When you get there, you can just hop off of it and run around? There will most likely be high leveled enemies in those spaces that were unreachable before. Just look at the mech as an extension of your mobility, use it to reach a platform you can't and then get off and run around in the new area, it's not that difficult.

I hope this game gets a sequel where most of the party members are made up of the different races of aliens you can bring to NLA.

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017
Love the music, world, even story was cool. Know what ALMOST ruined the game?

That's stupid Napon in the game, and the constant jokes about eating him. It's almost funny how annoying he is... but not funny or annoying enough.

Other than that, a great slight pivot for the series.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using 1.19.0, but that's only because when I moved from my laptop to my desktop that was the available version. I haven't updated since that'd mean I would have to start my shader cache from start.

Oh yeah - that's another thing. Latest versions of CEMU let you async compile shaders, so instead of having stutters when shaders load in, it just doesn't load the effect that the shaders are tied to until it's compiled. Either way, most shaders are only compiled when you head to a new area for the first time, so it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Especially once you're pretty far into the game you stop running into it.
XBX is a sight to behold at 4k60. Makes XB2 and XBDE look ancient in comparison, ironically.

I couldn't get into it back in the day because of the battle system which confused the heck out of me, but I suspect I'll feel more comfortable with it now I've been playing and enjoying DE the last few days.

The music is dreadful though. The city music is the goofiest shit ever.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
[...] it's not that difficult.

Lol, get out with this condescending nonsense. If you don't understand why someone who enjoys element A would start feeling discouraged or lose interest when element B, which functionally and essentially completely trivializes element A, is introduced and freely available, it's just one of those things you're not going to get. The restrictions make it interesting, when you're going "oh, I'll just use my flying thing to get to this first platform, then I'll try to climb for real", it all starts feeling pretty pointless.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's not on XC1's level in any way except for exploration and world design. Which, granted, is a big thing in the XC games, but XCX started the "afternoon shonen anime series" tone that XC2 took to absurd extremes, which was a bad choice for the franchise. XCX is pretty embarrassing to play in front of people as a result if you're doing any story content. But it definitely has the best world and exploration of the three.

I don't understand people saying that they lost interest in the game when they got the skell to be honest. I understand that it can trivialize combat, but it's not like the game forces you to use it all that much. For many cases it's more optional for combat, and in terms of mobility it lets you reach some places you otherwise absolutely cannot reach without it. When you get there, you can just hop off of it and run around? There will most likely be high leveled enemies in those spaces that were unreachable before. Just look at the mech as an extension of your mobility, use it to reach a platform you can't and then get off and run around in the new area, it's not that difficult.

I hope this game gets a sequel where most of the party members are made up of the different races of aliens you can bring to NLA.

The Skell was the focused goal for hours and hours of play, and when I got it it both trivialized travel and made travel more annoying due to fuel requirements. Plus it had to be upgraded and several of the new systems it used were difficult to get the hang of through trial and error. I absolutely get why people cooled on the game after getting the Skell.

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
I've been using 1.19.0, but that's only because when I moved from my laptop to my desktop that was the available version. I haven't updated since that'd mean I would have to start my shader cache from start.

Oh yeah - that's another thing. Latest versions of CEMU let you async compile shaders, so instead of having stutters when shaders load in, it just doesn't load the effect that the shaders are tied to until it's compiled. Either way, most shaders are only compiled when you head to a new area for the first time, so it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Especially once you're pretty far into the game you stop running into it.

I've heard that CEMU v1.15 has a little better support for Xenoblade than the more recent versions. Have you run into any bugs or issues? I'm using the older version, but I might as well upgrade if support is good.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've heard that CEMU v1.15 has a little better support for Xenoblade than the more recent versions. Have you run into any bugs or issues? I'm using the older version, but I might as well upgrade if support is good.

Again - only "major" issues that I've run into have been some minor graphical glitches in some of NLA. Even then, it's only in the commercial/residential districts - Industrial District and Administrative District are 100% fine.

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
Again - only "major" issues that I've run into have been some minor graphical glitches in some of NLA. Even then, it's only in the commercial/residential districts - Industrial District and Administrative District are 100% fine.

Whoops, missed your first post about it. What great news though, it's nuts to see how far CEMU has come.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question for those of you who finished the story of this game, where would you like the second game to go with it regarding the cliffhanger and other unresolved questions brought up in the first.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Weird, I just started a playthrough a couple of weeks ago - I'm just under 80 hours in at this point.

I did play it a bit back when it originally released but fell off for whatever reason. This time, the combat clicked and I got hooked. World is great to explore, there are some hilarious skell weapons (I have some damn HOMURA sword that one-shots pretty much anything around or below level 50) and although most of the sidequest are grindy...the world is interesting and big enough that I don't mind just poking around.

I also like the online integration with little hunts and pop-ups for other players earning their achievements.

I only have two gripes:
-The music is mostly good to fantastic, but there is some absolute shit in there. I've grown to ignore it, but it's still shit.
-The online is inconsistent. Sometimes the game will lose connection immediately, sometimes it'll work fine for an hour. I don't know if it's just due to the WiiU's shitty wifi but I have never experienced it with any other WiiU game (like Splatoon). It's not like you're even playing with other people, either, it's basically just tracking kills and notifications.

Didn't think about emulating it, but that's probably not a bad idea as the stock resolution is really low.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
While I own all 3 Xenoblade games, I barely played 1 when it released (only got to Sharla joining my team) and 2 was the first I actually beat (years after its release). I played X probably for 40-50+ hours and man, overall it's also my favorite. It definitly has the best world and combat was fun as hell. I never got into the Xeno 2 combat and found it tedious. 1 is much better but X is even better.

Man, I really want a rerelease. I would buy it immediatly.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing this game because I wasn't enjoying the progress gates. My memory is incredibly fuzzy, I just recall that at around 25-30 hours in, (nearly?) every time I finished some main quest, if I wanted to move onto the next main quest I had to meet some level or relationship requirements. I just really didn't want to chase the affinity requirements for some characters. (Sorry if this isn't exactly how it worked, I can only recall my frustration around mission gating, but not exactly what the requirements were.) Anyway, I wonder if I'd enjoy the game more with another go.

I actually watched some videos from X this morning and I gotta say, gameplay and visuals are still impressive. I'm not sure how anybody can say DE is monolithsoft's best work yet with a straight face (I'd seen this statement a couple times already). Environments and enemy models don't even come close to X, and the animations all feel extremely dated.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
It's a rough sell to other people - it gets good 40 hours in, basically.
I super loved it. Never finished the story unfortunately (80+ hours in, lost my save file because my external hard drive corrupted), but the side quests, and my stupid, stupid team mates H.B. and L are such precious memories.
Sneaking around enemy camps for a cheeky drill installation.
Losing my new mech to some giant flying squid I thought I could take on in a cave, mere minutes after I had finally gained enough credits to buy it.
Shenaninigans at the pizza parlour.
Good times.

And it has none of the usual JRPG "bullshit".

I wish I could pretend Tatsu doesn't exist as sincerely as you...

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
I have a lot of love for this title, as it was my first Xeno game. Didn't play the others till after this and personally always thought the complaints were highly exaggerated.

Feb 16, 2018
This fucking game! There is nothing like it, even the other 2 Xenoblade games don't scratch the same itch. Mira is greatest world in a video game to date and the only things that come even somewhat close are BOTW and the other Xenoblades but XCX is on top. The main story was weak for Xeno standards but I felt gameplay wise it was Monolith Softs best game even if it's a bit unbalanced in certain areas. The lore and world building was so good with so many little details and sub stories to flesh out the world and the different races. Sawano's soundtrack is inconsistent at times but overall fantastic and there is no other rpg available with a soundtrack that sounds like that it's unique in that aspect.
Really hope XB Definitive Edition sells well so this can get a port it can't die on Wii U it just can't. Also give me X2 next Monolith Soft or at least a game on a similar scope that makes me feel the way this game did.

User Tron

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped playing when I needed to collect stuff but the game gave me basically no hint where to find it. After afew hours wandering around with no progress at all I gave up. Liked it till that point.

Feb 16, 2018
Question for those of you who finished the story of this game, where would you like the second game to go with it regarding the cliffhanger and other unresolved questions brought up in the first.
Honestly go kind of Xenogears with it and give me a sequel that is generations after the first. Mira being much more developed and different cities and fractions establishing themselves with political drama and of course dive into what Mira actually is and its intentions of pulling so many people and races to the planet.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
yeah... i never was a fan of xenoblade style combat, and the characters/character designs never caught me. the soundtrack never feels compelling...so i never played it, to much of the package did not get me.
One thing does: every picture of the overworld. Especially in skels. I have to salute them for that. I would really like to see that team takle a different style of game (more action oriented? or a Excaflowne style fantasy game, with action rpg combat by foot and with skells?
Add to that music like
and im buying the the limited 100€ edition for the first time ever)

Edit: kinda got carried away, not really topic, bit if somebody wonts some other yoko kanno tunes, something like cowboy beebop (with planet hopping between 3 or 4 planets) would also be great from them:

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to play this game. Hopefully Nintendo remasters it for the Switch.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I super loved it. Never finished the story unfortunately (80+ hours in, lost my save file because my external hard drive corrupted), but the side quests, and my stupid, stupid team mates H.B. and L are such precious memories.
Losing my new mech to some giant flying squid I thought I could take on in a cave, mere minutes after I had finally gained enough credits to buy it.
Good times.

it is good right away. you can basically go anywhere. you can cross primodia and go straight west to noctilum, east to oblivia or to north to sylvalum and cauldros basically within the first hour. it gets much better once you have the skells and even better when you get the flying ability but you have tons to explore before that as well.

also you know you can get your skell back three times without any cost from insurance right? just go to the console in the barracks where you have the skell garage option and insurance will bring it back. also you learn to abandon the skell quickly once you realize you dont loose it that way ;)

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XBX is a sight to behold at 4k60. Makes XB2 and XBDE look ancient in comparison, ironically.

I couldn't get into it back in the day because of the battle system which confused the heck out of me, but I suspect I'll feel more comfortable with it now I've been playing and enjoying DE the last few days.

The music is dreadful though. The city music is the goofiest shit ever.
www.youtube.com

Uncontrollable - Xenoblade Chronicles X OST

Music: UncontrollableGame: Xenoblade Chronicles XComposer: Hiroyuki Sawano

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly go kind of Xenogears with it and give me a sequel that is generations after the first. Mira being much more developed and different cities and fractions establishing themselves with political drama and of course dive into what Mira actually is and its intentions of pulling so many people and races to the planet.
What I would like to happen would be for the next game to expand their universe more. Have the first half or so deal with part of the mystery of Mira itself evolving that to a bigger level like making that it's not only the planet but maybe the solar system Mira is located in or whatever, then after that it opens up to tackle things like the continued threat of the Ganglion and a search for other white whales that might have colonized other planets in order to continue the fight for Humanity's survival. All the while having multiple alien races joining together to fight this threat and have multiple of them playable as party members.

Feb 16, 2018
What I would like to happen would be for the next game to expand their universe more. Have the first half or so deal with part of the mystery of Mira itself evolving that to a bigger level like making that it's not only the planet but maybe the solar system Mira is located in or whatever, then after that it opens up to tackle things like the continued threat of the Ganglion and a search for other white whales that might have colonized other planets in order to continue the fight for Humanity's survival. All the while having multiple alien races joining together to fight this threat and have multiple of them playable as party members.
I'd totally be down for something like this. I'd love space exploration in Xenoblade, having mech battles in space would hype as hell. We also need to dive into who the Ghosts (the purple aliens from the intro I believe) are and Samaar Federation. Its clear Monolith Soft wrote a ton of lore that didn't make it into the final game as the universe feels so big and expansive. And yeah more alien party members, I remember feeling disappointed we only had 3 playable aliens and that Ga Buidhe was never playable.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd totally be down for something like this. I'd love space exploration in Xenoblade, having mech battles in space would hype as hell. We also need to dive into who the Ghosts (the purple aliens from the intro I believe) are and Samaar Federation. Its clear Monolith Soft wrote a ton of lore that didn't make it into the final game as the universe feels so big and expansive. And yeah more alien party members, I remember feeling disappointed we only had 3 playable aliens and that Ga Buidhe was never playable.
God tell me about it, dude looked fucking awesome I was hoping the entire time he'd join up. Yeah I definitely think they have a lot more things written out as to where the story can go but couldn't put it in the game. I hope we get a continuation to this game man it's too good to end with a cliffhanger we need more and Nintendo needs a good space opera game.

I wonder if a potential remaster would feature a casual mode that removes the requirements for the story gating so that folks can experience it unimpeded, beyond needing to do the necessary stuff for getting a Skell license. I feel like that for folks wanting to just go through the main story and not touch the side content would appreciate that and would make the choice to dig into the massive amount of side content once they're done, rather than feeling like they're "forced" to engage with it and get too overwhelmed with it all.

Regardless of all the other stuff a remaster would need to do for the UI overhaul and QOL features, I feel like that should be a priority to implement if it helps get the game into more hands.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The music is very good. It's not my favorite, but you get so much of that alien atmosphere from Sawano's music.

Jul 3, 2019
Monolith Soft should make a sequel that uses the same world but with a time skip.
For new areas they could do stuff with underwater, underground, or like orbital platforms.
Just give us more Mira please, that's the real best character of that game.

Monolith Soft should make a sequel that uses the same world but with a time skip.
For new areas they could do stuff with underwater, underground, or like orbital platforms.
Just give us more Mira please, that's the real best character of that game.
An underwater biome would be mind-melting, since you know they would put a trench in there that has a legitimate elder god waiting at the bottom for endgame players.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Good times.

I thought Tatsu was hilarious! Far more entertaining than Riki and far less creepy than the Nopon from Xenoblade 2. His voice was less annoying, too.

I honestly thought the bits he and Lin would do were great. It added to Lin's personality, too.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Tatsu is the worst Nopon.

At least Tora brought one of the best Xenoblade characters with him.

Tatsu only contributed one joke, repeated over and over.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
XCX is great. It accomplished what Andromeda tried to do with its large levels and alien encounters in much grander fashion.

KMh5HHh.jpg

1usT445.jpg

And with much more imaginative alien worlds.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Best Xenoblade game and second best Monolith Soft game next to Xenosaga III. It was such a refreshing RPG experience.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forget when I unlocked the flying module for the Skell , taking off from the industrial district of New LA to the skies.. seeing the whole city below me.. and also seeing the expanse of Primordia extending through the horizon. I could not believe the transition was seamless. If you ask me, it's right there with GTA5 on PS3 as the most impressive technical achievement of that generation of consoles. I feel like the WiiU shouldn't been capable of delivering that experience.

It's a technical marvel. really. If anyone here has the means to play it, please do it.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
This game must be on par with Super Paper Mario for biggest letdown i ever played. They should probably have given it a different name, because after the joy that was Xenoblade Chronicles, this was nothing like it. The tone, the setting, the story (or lack thereof). I was basically pumped for this game for two years leading up to its release, only to find out that it was nothing like i wanted nor anything like i expected it to be. I could probably have stomached it, if it were labeled as something completely different, a new franchise entirely. I could have overlooked the horrible junk in the soundtrack (that atrocious "rap" track in the base hub must be responsible for at least half the cases of domestic violence around the world during that time). There are a lot of fun elements in the game, but a lot more crap that was bugging the life out of me. The complete letdown, after finally having unlocked the skells, just to find out they are mostly useless and break when you sneeze, was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Entire world maps locked until you completed the missions that unlocked it... which were usually a drag. The NPC missions that were a drag most of the times (and no main storyline to cling to in times of need). Glad some people liked it, but i'm not one of them. It's been too many years since i played it to be able to recall all the bad things exactly, but i never went back to it after putting in the initial 50 or so hours.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
This game must be on par with Super Paper Mario for biggest letdown i ever played. They should probably have given it a different name, because after the joy that was Xenoblade Chronicles, this was nothing like it. The tone, the setting, the story (or lack thereof). I was basically pumped for this game for two years leading up to its release, only to find out that it was nothing like i wanted nor anything like i expected it to be. I could probably have stomached it, if it were labeled as something completely different, a new franchise entirely. I could have overlooked the horrible junk in the soundtrack (that atrocious "rap" track in the base hub must be responsible for at least half the cases of domestic violence around the world during that time). There are a lot of fun elements in the game, but a lot more crap that was bugging the life out of me. The complete letdown, after finally having unlocked the skells, just to find out they are mostly useless and break when you sneeze, was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Entire world maps locked until you completed the missions that unlocked it... which were usually a drag. The NPC missions that were a drag most of the times (and no main storyline to cling to in times of need). Glad some people liked it, but i'm not one of them. It's been too many years since i played it to be able to recall all the bad things exactly, but i never went back to it after putting in the initial 50 or so hours.

Most of this is just... not true. I appreciate that you may not have liked the game when you played it, but literally 80% of this wall of text is untrue.