• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nioh 1 or Nioh 2?

• Nioh 1

Votes: 14 10.7%
  • Nioh 2

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 18 13.7%

• Total voters

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I enjoyed my time with Nioh 2, but I think I quit halfway through. The game's mission based structure, level design and story were some major flaws in my eyes. I do want to pick it back up again though. The combat is excellent, even though its systems are quite overwhelming to me.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Nioh 2 is great and man is it massive. I've spend 75 hours and am ~ 50% through the game. It's currently on hold as I was playing Elden Ring at the time and I need a break but I'm going back to it soon.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
I stopped playing Elden Ring to play Nioh 2. The combat has really hooked me in. I actually appreciate the mission based structure and level design that is closer to a ninja gaiden style game. It works for this style of combat.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, the universe has made it abundantly clear that I should play this after Elden Ring. I played most of the first game and absolutely loved it, but I think I'm going to skip to the second.

What the best version to play to get the most complete experience? PS5 and XSX user here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I loved this game, I was going to come back to it with the PS5 upgrade and the DLC but got sidetracked.

May 23, 2020
Nioh 1and 2 are my favorite games of all time. The joy and satisfaction these games give you are unparalleled. Customisation, build variety is great as well although i almost always get stuck to melee and my katana.

May 23, 2020
Ok, the universe has made it abundantly clear that I should play this after Elden Ring. I played most of the first game and absolutely loved it, but I think I'm going to skip to the second.

What the best version to play to get the most complete experience? PS5 and XSX user here.

If you have your save, you should finish Nioh 1. Nioh 1 DLCs have some of the best boss fights. Nioh2 will be there waiting for you.

I played Nioh2 on PS5. It was available at 4K 60. Not sure if it is on Xbox. There is PC option though.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Nioh 2 rules.

The only annoying thing is loot management. Too many drops and I hate to clean up my inventory and make space.

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I put about 20 hrs into Nioh 2 recently but bounced off before the combat could really click with me.

Maybe it was my weapon choice. Really tried to learn the fists but for the life of me couldn't get timings down. Just so punishing.

I'll get back to it some day and hopefully can learn the mechanics better and enter that flow state.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
You have me really worried with the difficulty comments. I have a short fuse these days and thought Elden Ring was my limit.
On the other hand I still haven't recovered from how glorious the combat system felt in the first Nioh.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Love that game but I got stuck at the snake boss and after that, I was like so reluctant to go back.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States

I can only speak to the PS5 one. The remastered edition is great. Several display options, I've been on 60fps, looks and plays great. I think there's a 120fps option but I've never tried it. What's really great is the fast loading. Usually just a couple seconds to load a level.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The first Nioh is somehow my most played game on Steam with 200+ hours clocked. Definitely enjoyed it quite a bit. I keep forgetting that Nioh 2 exists and need to finally buy it someday. I was super hyped for it for a very long time, and then it ended up coming out way later on PC. At that point, I had forgotten about it and didn't realize it finally came out. Still need to beat Elden Ring, though.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Incredible game. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of hours with it, the majority in co-op, loot hunting and perfecting builds. I still spend a good amount of time playing it even two years on. People talk about the difficulty a lot, but I honestly find Elden Ring and Souls games in general to be much, much harder. I feel that Nioh gives you all the tools you need to handle any combat scenario, while in ER I often feel like I've got Nioh 2 enemies running wild on me and I just don't have the abilities to handle them.

OP
OP

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Playing Dream of the Strong and having a lot of fun. I do wish the game just gave you an option to skip to mission boss because I've not really found any reason to fight regular mobs since I got all the kodama previously. The other thing is I can't seem to find better equipment -- all the drops are level 160? Is this normal? It wasn't an issue for the first four regions, but now the recommended item level for missions is like 180+ and I can't seem to find stuff that is comparable. Any tips for post game? Haven't really explored builds yet, hasn't really felt necessary. Bosses seem mostly the same. Biggest difference has been the firing rate of ranged enemies. Is the general recommendation to just rush for the Otakemaru mission as soon as you do enough missions to unlock it for any difficulty?

I also just want to say I know the story is a bit whatever, but holy moly there's a crazy amount of flavor text for every item. Love the descriptions.

I've heard a lot of good things about the PS5 versions, though there's some finickyness to transferring your save across. I do recommend finishing up Nioh 1, if only because it feels super difficult to go back to after 2, as I'm realizing trying to do the DLC.

I put about 20 hrs into Nioh 2 recently but bounced off before the combat could really click with me.

Maybe it was my weapon choice. Really tried to learn the fists but for the life of me couldn't get timings down. Just so punishing.

I'll get back to it some day and hopefully can learn the mechanics better and enter that flow state.

Fists seem quite technical. I used them for half the game before switching just to a regular sword and having a much easier time. The other things that really helped combat click for me were:

(1) all the shiftling passives that reduce the dark realm stamina penalty
(2) breaking boss ki to force a dark realm transition and using a big yokai ability to bring down maximum ki immediately.
(3) using yokai abilities liberally in the dark realm, and using them as free ki recovery (it's a zero ki attack and your ki recovers while using it).
(4) the various element blocking talismans helped take a bit of pressure off of bosses.
(5) the ki pulse on dodge skills from the samurai tree.

You have me really worried with the difficulty comments. I have a short fuse these days and thought Elden Ring was my limit.
On the other hand I still haven't recovered from how glorious the combat system felt in the first Nioh.

I think the game on the whole was probably easier than Elden Ring endgame solo. Definitely tough, but you have way more openings to punish, and can get bosses into stucklock states pretty easily. The skill ceiling is probably (certainly) a lot higher, but you don't have to be a big brain high IQ action game master to do it. In my case just some basic stance managment and core weapon abilities, understanding how yokai abilities allow you to keep uptime and rapidly deplete enemy yokai ki felt sufficient and really like the difference between my struggling through the first half of the game and generally having an easier time in the back half bar a few tough bosses. A switch to a less confusing weapon like the sword also helped a lot.

Love that game but I got stuck at the snake boss and after that, I was like so reluctant to go back.

This was definitely my earliest wall. It's funny because on my rematches with it it never took me more than a couple tries despite it probably taking me like 20 tries at first. Kinda like Hino Enma in Nioh 1.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Atom maybe the fact that you got a wall at that boss too might make me interested in going for it again.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh2は僕の一番好きなゲームです

Really sad it didn't make its way to Xbox!

I miss my Paralysis one shot build.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Dream of the Strong and having a lot of fun. I do wish the game just gave you an option to skip to mission boss because I've not really found any reason to fight regular mobs since I got all the kodama previously. The other thing is I can't seem to find better equipment -- all the drops are level 160? Is this normal? It wasn't an issue for the first four regions, but now the recommended item level for missions is like 180+ and I can't seem to find stuff that is comparable.
Universal rule of Nioh stage level numbers: Don't worry about it. Both your character level and your item levels will simply not keep up with the stage level numbers, nor should they. You'll end up being 100+ lvs below the stage level in the final difficulty. Just consider the stage level numbers a microcosm of their own and use it to compare them to each other.

The way you are suppose to get your numbers up in that section of the curve is upgrading the + value of your gear, not so much the item levels. The item level itself caps out very fast in DotS, the absolute cap being 170 and you'll only see those later, not in the early regions.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, try a different weapon.

It may sound boring but I went with Sword and Dual Katanas. There's just something so satisfying about the swordplay in Nioh 2.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Finished Nioh 1 about 2 months ago, but unfortunately don't have time for 2, my backlog is just too big right now.
I always hear nice things about it and how it is better than 1, hopefully i can do it.

OP
OP

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Okay Dream of the Strong done, was generally very easy except for the usual bullshit bosses. Enemies generally felt like bigger threats than bosses. I kinda just put whatever gear had the better atk or def ratings and left it at that and didn't have any issues, basically fought every boss the same way I did in NG.

Started dream of the demon and I think I need to do something different. Can still easily remove ki from enemies, but the HP pools are so absurdly massive, it feels like the old Nioh 1 beta where Onryoki had HP for days. Any recommended tips or tricks to start with this difficulty? It feels like I finally need to start looking at set bonuses and maybe poke around the blacksmith. Maybe I should do the DLC tbh, though I'd be pretty overpowered if I went back to Dream of the Samurai.

Man this game is so good.

Atom maybe the fact that you got a wall at that boss too might make me interested in going for it again.

Yeah I actually died against it another 10 times in NG+ lmao. But then beat it with basically no damage again. What I will say is that it's attacks are usually spaced out enough that you can block some of the big hard to dodge things like the spin attack -- you might be winded but able to dodge before the next attack comes out. I resorted to that after failing to dodge like 5 times in a row.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Started dream of the demon and I think I need to do something different. Can still easily remove ki from enemies, but the HP pools are so absurdly massive, it feels like the old Nioh 1 beta where Onryoki had HP for days. Any recommended tips or tricks to start with this difficulty? It feels like I finally need to start looking at set bonuses and maybe poke around the blacksmith.
Yeah you definitely need to start into attributes and stats that boost your damage starting from now. Make sure your main weapon has something that scales with your primary stat, like "Attack Bonus (Heart): A" or something (replace Heart with whatever your highest stat is). And if you don't find replacements for such a weapon, then keep upgrading this weapon through soul matching, because it will outperform even higher level gear.

I started considering set bonuses more in Dream of the Wise and later though, but it's essential in Dream of the Nioh especially the Underworld levels. Demon was rough at times though especially with the buffed enemies.

OP
OP

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Did the first DLC, felt kinda balanced for Dream of the Strong. I suspect it'd have been much easier otherwise. Great boss fights. Loved the Uminyudo boss fight in particular as it took a pretty awful boss fight from Nioh 1 and made it fun. Yoshitsune was pretty cool too, once I figured out you could headshot him down from his perches. Wish the secret technique scrolls had a higher drop rate though.

Yeah you definitely need to start into attributes and stats that boost your damage starting from now. Make sure your main weapon has something that scales with your primary stat, like "Attack Bonus (Heart): A" or something (replace Heart with whatever your highest stat is). And if you don't find replacements for such a weapon, then keep upgrading this weapon through soul matching, because it will outperform even higher level gear.

I started considering set bonuses more in Dream of the Wise and later though, but it's essential in Dream of the Nioh especially the Underworld levels. Demon was rough at times though especially with the buffed enemies.

Thanks for all these tips. Between tempering for atk bonus, some soul matching, and more levels (it feels like I've gained half of all my levels just from a handful of missions in DotD), I'm now able to beat bosses, mainly just using a combination of gozuki, kasha, purity, and other elemental ailments. Bosses still take a bit longer maybe than prior difficulties but feel manageable for the most part -- as long as they're Yokai. I think this difficulty has made me realize I never really learned how to deal with human bosses since they're so few in number (like...2 or 3 in the main story?). Need to work more on that. I suspect I should keep a corruption weapon handy to make stamina management easier and combine that with lifeseal talismans. Any experience with Ninjutsu and if so would you recommend?

Should really do the other dojo missions too.

Kinda temped to just rush for Otakemaru to unlock DotW at this point. The more I play the more I'm convinced this is one of the best games ever made. I can't think of another game that asks you to play it so differently and just keeps unlocking seemingly core gameplay mechanics only on higher difficulties.

OP
OP

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
At DotD Otakemaru and I'm kicking myself because on my first attempt I got him down to ~10% health and then died. Overall DotD has been a bit of a forcing mechanism to make sure I know boss patterns, and the larger HP pool makes it much harder to just luck your way through encounters. Still, a great difficulty and I appreciate how much it mixed stuff up compared to DotS. Skipped some of the late game missions on DotD, might come back to them later but I've beaten enough of them to know that any of them will just be a matter of more reliably learning the fight, and I want to never fight Lady Osakabe ever again.

In combo land, I'm now pretty comfortable doing mid combo weapon switches and rapid firing sheath attacks, and can do some comboey stuff when sticking to one stance or very seldom changing it up. The shift from that to incorporating stance preshifting to allow a flux 2 back to the same stance and unlock the secret to eternal ki is way harder. Getting a bit better at it, and it feels like I can do it on simpler enemies but requires way too much focus to incorporate naturally in boss fights.

Such a great game. Looking forward to seeing what new gameplay mechanics get added with DotW.

OP
OP

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Making my way through Dream of the Wise!!!! Holy shit people weren't joking when they said the game starts after NG. Every cycle more mechanics open up and its wild. 3 regions in now.

Getting a bit of a grip on human bosses finally. You're rewarded for being up close, being able to burst counter and inflict lifeseal, and that combined with using combos to do ki damage, and then swapping to high stance attacks if they enter a block stance seems to be sufficient. I still think they throw out grabs and shit way too fast but it's not unmanageable. I should learn how to zero ki combo stuff or do some of those absurd yokai ability combo loops I guess but kasha go brrr. I do want to try out some other soul core a bit. I like ippon dattara and gozuki, magatsu warrior as well but none of them seem a just all around useful as Kasha. The ability to have so many sources of damage incoming, inflict burn and confusion etc. all at once is just too good.

Yokai bosses are at this point basically trivial for me, all the patterns are stuck in my head and it's just muscle memory so if I want to fight them over like...10 minutes I can I guess. That said Dream of the Wise is still a tough cookie, but I feel like so far it's been easier than Dream of the Demon.

Gonna try some more of those finger exercises for flux/ii and getting more comfortable with preshifting and whatnot but feel like I'm getting better bit by bit. Haven't really done any serious build optimization either, kinda want to wait for DotN for that.

Edit: Dream of the Nioh lets goooooooooo. Intrigued to see what sorts of gimmicks this difficulty has or if its mostly the same.

Last edited: