• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I never thought I'd like a 3D roguelike but here we are.

after buying the game yesterday after seeing it on a couple GoTY lists I got a couple buddies to buy the game & I'm sitting at 25 hours. What a joy this game is especially the artifacts

command, sacrifice & swarm make the game the funnest imo

I have all but two characters unlocked & so far huntress is my complete favorite.

if you love games like BoI, Enter the Gungeon or Dead Cellsplease try this baby out, the co-op is perfection & its $10 dollars on PSN

I wish I could of played this when the game first came out & I very much hope it gets an expansion.

I haven't even tried monsoon difficulty yet! Man, I need those skins though.

The OST is great too.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I love the gameplay of this game but after some time I realize that the runs feel too similar to each other. I wish there were more build varieties. It seems like there are a handful of items that are the ones you try to go for every run and if you don't get them you don't have as good of a run.

Oct 25, 2017
Recently picked this up on Switch after hearing great things about that version of the game.

Am I doing the game a big disservice by playing it alone?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
As a roguelite/roguelike fan i have to say that the game does nothing at all for me. it is supremely boring, maps are too large, the abilities and items suck and the combat loop feels like playing an MMORPG. the music, while not fitting the game at all, is good though.

from previews alone, Returnal will be vastly better than Risk of Rain 2.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Swarm and Sacrifice are fun but Command is boring as heck unless you're trying a specific build or trying to unlock stuff.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I loved Risk of Rain 1 but the change to 3d turned me off so hard I never even bothered to try it. I don't really want to spend money to see if I'll like it but if it's ever free I'll give it a go. A lot of people seem to like it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Risk of Rain 1 but the change to 3d turned me off so hard I never even bothered to try it. I don't really want to spend money to see if I'll like it but if it's ever free I'll give it a go. A lot of people seem to like it.
I love both. I like 2 even more I think but the music in 1 is better.

Benc

Nov 2, 2020
I've been playing it lately myself. It's a lot of fun, but that final boss is bullshit. I was a huge fan of Risk of Rain 1 on the Vita.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
As a roguelite/roguelike fan i have to say that the game does nothing at all for me. it is supremely boring, maps are too large, the abilities and items suck and the combat loop feels like playing an MMORPG. the music, while not fitting the game at all, is good though.

from previews alone, Returnal will be vastly better than Risk of Rain 2.
Returnal is the next gen Risk of Rain 2.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Recently picked this up on Switch after hearing great things about that version of the game.

This is my primary reason for not purchasing... yet. The game looks fantastic, but I just don't know enough people w/ a Switch and a desire to play Risk of Rain 2 :/
Can I join up w/ randos and pray they take me in as one of their own? Is voice-chat necessary for success (because lolno @ nintendo's app)??

Who knows; maybe I'll "pull the trigger" and just buy it anyway. And perhaps on that fateful day I shall message you, Sleeping Lesson, and we can risk the rain together. Maybe, even, become friends. Minstrels will write songs of our bond, and through that our stories shall never end...

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This is my primary reason for not purchasing... yet. The game looks fantastic, but I just don't know enough people w/ a Switch and a desire to play Risk of Rain 2 :/
Can I join up w/ randos and pray they take me in as one of their own? Is voice-chat necessary for success (because lolno @ nintendo's app)??

Who knows; maybe I'll "pull the trigger" and just buy it anyway. And perhaps on that fateful day I shall message you, Sleeping Lesson, and we can risk the rain together. Maybe, even, become friends. Minstrels will write songs of our bond, and through that our stories shall never end...
Alone is fine. There are lobbies on PC at least you can randomly join, not sure about Switch. I guess it's fun playing with people until the game starts crashing due to too much shit going on but otherwise it's not that drastically different of an experience.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Cool game. When I discovered that locations were fixed it did kind of bum me out though. I am absolutely spoiled rotten by Deep Rock Galactic's level generation.

I've only beaten the game once, but after the amount of time that took in always hesitant to start another run on whim. Still missing a ton of stuff.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
it's alright but i discovered i just really am not that into games which never end, because being sufficiently powerful and surviving for a half hour while not really doing anything like actively makes me not need to play the game anymore

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I love the gameplay of this game but after some time I realize that the runs feel too similar to each other. I wish there were more build varieties. It seems like there are a handful of items that are the ones you try to go for every run and if you don't get them you don't have as good of a run.

Agree.

I think this is a big problem with the game personally. It doesn't really matter what you get most of the time, the only difference is whether you deal decent damage, or not. Last I was playing it seemed like glass canon builds were the way to go because of how tanky things get as the game progresses, and how you can abuse one-shot protection provided that you heal very quickly.

I really like the gameplay and aesthetic, I just wish that it felt like there were more ways to play.

Still, I do really like it, it's just that after 30 hours I kind of burnt out. I haven't even beaten the game properly because when I was playing it they didn't have the 'ending' sequence in the game.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to recommend unless you get someone to unlock a bunch of stuff for you at first in my experience. Really didn't like it at first. Now I like it a bunch.

As a roguelike it's kind of weird since I feel like you rarely get to make significant decisions into what your build is (unless you play with the command modifier).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

It's still fun solo, but yeah the co-op is where the real fun is. Played it with two friends last summer for several months on end and it gets absolutely insane the further you get in. Some of the most fun I've had with co-op in any game.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Alone is fine. There are lobbies on PC at least you can randomly join, not sure about Switch. I guess it's fun playing with people until the game starts crashing due to too much shit going on but otherwise it's not that drastically different of an experience.
All I needed was a little push... Thanks; I'll probably add it to my Switch collection next time there's a sale :D

Edit: pretending I didn't read the post above this...

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly one of my favorite games of the last few years. I was a huge, huge fan of the first game, and after 1.0, the sequel is leaps and bounds better. And while unlocking the different characters is important, definitely make sure you're also unlocking the new items and loadouts as well; they COMPLETELY change the game. For instance, one of Artificer's unlockable moves replaces her flamethrower with the ability to rocket up into the sky and completely changes the way you play her (and makes her way more fun to play in general). Huntress also has some amazing alternate moves that are very much worth checking out.

But yeah, between PC, Switch and PS4 I've probably put between 200-300 hours in? I'm glad I've been seeing a lot more threads on era and just talk in general around it, because it's probably the most fun coop experience I've had this past console generation.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

I picked it up after reading a few of these threads and have only been able to play alone so far, and I've been bored silly. It's a game designed to play while shooting the shit with someone IMO, it's not paced or designed in a way that makes solo play fun.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
All I needed was a little push... Thanks; I'll probably add it to my Switch collection next time there's a sale :D

Edit: pretending I didn't read the post above this...
Just look at gameplay videos and if it looks fun then I'd try it. I honestly don't think another person in the game adds anything that radical. Of course it's fun to do hour+ long runs with people and the game scales accordingly, but instead of one person with an obscene amount of items killing an obscene amount of enemies you have two. I know you can make this kind of reduction for many games, but I think because of how powerful you can get in RoR it makes multple people a bit less impactful for me.

People might enjoy it more coop which is fine but I don't think the experience is that different where if you find it extremely boring solo you will LOVE it coop.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Try a couple runs and if you're having too much trouble take a look at some starting out guides on youtube.
Just look at gameplay videos and if it looks fun then I'd try it. I honestly don't think another person in the game adds anything that radical. Of course it's fun to do hour+ long runs with people and the game scales accordingly, but instead of one person with an obscene amount of items killing an obscene amount of enemies you have two. I know you can make this kind of reduction for many games, but I think because of how powerful you can get in RoR it makes multple people a bit less impactful for me.

People might enjoy it more coop which is fine but I don't think the experience is that different where if you find it extremely boring solo you will LOVE it coop.
Quoting because I want you all to be the first to know that I've just purchased the game heh...

Found a listing on eBay for $15. Also, I apparently had a $10 credit in my PayPal account, so--even if the game fails to impress--being burned on a ~$5 gamble isn't so bad ;p

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Quoting because I want you all to be the first to know that I've just purchased the game heh...

Found a listing on eBay for $15. Also, I apparently had a $10 credit in my PayPal account, so--even if the game fails to impress--being burned on a $5 gamble isn't so bad ;p
Enjoy! If you don't, don't yell at me!

Oct 25, 2017

That sounds beautiful, you just let me know when! The game was on sale last week when I got it, I guess it's not anymore?

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
what the hell am i playing and why do i suck so hard at it
:'(

edit: "If you're struggling, try lowering the difficulty to Drizzle"
I am playing on drizzle you asshole game

Jan 10, 2018
This is one of those games that ended up on my radar because all the praise for it but from looking at it I could never tell that it was a good game. It looks painfully mediocre in videos and there's just to much effects going on that makes it impossible to understand what's going on.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The game gets easier as you play more and unlock more items at least.
Yeah I invested a little more time into the game (as well as fine-tuned some of the controls), and have progressed noticeably further than my abysmal first outing... Right now I'm just a bit overwhelmed w/ the game's bevy of influencing mechanics during each run.

I must say, though: the music in this game... lawd <3

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad this thread came up, this game been on my mind a lot recently. although, for a different reason...

It looked really intriguing to me. It looked like a game I would really enjoy so I went for it. My short experience with it was very underwhelming and I tried my best to get into it. It's one of my very VERY rare game purchase regrets and this is why it's on my mind. I don't know why I'm even posting this here. Maybe I'm hoping for some advice or gameplay tips that somehow will help me appreciate it more. My experience was sour enough to ruin my hype for Returnal as well.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad this thread came up, this game been on my mind a lot recently. although, for a different reason...

It looked really intriguing to me. It looked like a game I would really enjoy so I went for it. My short experience with it was very underwhelming and I tried my best to get into it. It's one of my very VERY rare game purchase regrets and this is why it's on my mind. I don't know why I'm even posting this here. Maybe I'm hoping for some advice or gameplay tips that somehow will help me appreciate it more. My experience was sour enough to ruin my hype for Returnal as well.
I'm definitely struggling w/ it so far... and maybe it's just cuz I'm stupid, but I don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing lol

Like, I get that there's a boss which you have to seek out and defeat before moving onto the next area, but I just have so many questions leading up to that point, and--because of the perpetual extraterrestrial onslaught--there isn't much time (for me, at least) to ascertain the qualities of various items/ chests/ cloning machines(?) scattered across the terrain (e.g. in my latest run, I picked something up and now i've got wings. "Cool." I activate it and do a little hop before being obliterated by a giant laser. Granted, there's now a description of the item in the game's Logbook, but in the heat of battle i'm at a loss as to properly utilize the thing (do I hold the button to hover? press it once and I'm gliding for a predetermined period of time? tap it repeatedly so as to simulate wings flapping?)).

I haven't given up on the game, though: the mechanics are fun, combat works well, and I can see why this game has a dedicated following... but I'm just clueless as to how to get there, myself o_0

Last edited:

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Ultimately it doesn't work for me, even if it's a good game, and I'm surprised I don't see more people having similar sentiments. I like ROR1 so much but playing 2 is a completely different, more stressful experience. Having to aim and worrying about my shots landing really changes the nature of the game for me in a way that makes me regret the change to 3d. It's just.. Not as fun.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Was probably my favorite game of 2020 up until I tried Hades- a very good year for that genre, I guess. The fact RoR2 had multiplayer is maybe the only thing I can point to and say it's definitively better than Hades at (maybe RoR2 wins on items and build variety, ultimately?) , which is of course a silly and unfair thing to do.

Really impressed how well they transitioned from 2D to 3D- I had doubts about that change when it was first announced but think they really nailed it. May sound dumb but it added considerable depth to the gameplay and they managed to make the non-procedurally generated level geometry still feel pretty fresh with their other design choices. That said, I can see how folks would be put off by the change as it is considerably more demanding (this from a player that I think is just okay at it... I probably had more bad runs than good runs, but always had a good time despite how well I performed).

Music, much like the first game, is incredible and adds a ton to the experience. Both in single and multiplayer sessions I had a great time with the game and am glad they'll be revisiting it with expansions in the future.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I bought RoR2 this weekend on PS4. For some reason, I expected it to have local co-op like the first one so I was disappointed it only had online coop but I went ahead and started a run by myself... only to be killed in 2 seconds flat. And again.. and again. I left the game overnight and went back to it Saturday evening, setting it to easy this time and the game at that point just clicked. Before I knew it, it was 1 in the morning and I was itching for 1 more go.
I will say for anyone struggling that the game is unforgiving and not very clear at all at first. I wish there was a prologue tutorial area to go through so you can get the nuances of the game. The game is so keen to throw hordes at you from the moment you start that it makes it really difficult to engage with these systems at first but what I will say to anyone starting this game is:
- set it to easy
- hunt for every chest you can find and equip everything
- make sure you have found every chest possible in the first area before starting the teleported event or you will be massively underpowered.
All in all, I'm really loving it but it's a shame there's no local co-op this time around.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just started playing this two weeks ago and holy crap, it's so good! How did y'all let me sleep on this for so long?? Swinging around on Loader feels amazing and it's perfect for multiplying with friends.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I started playing this on switch and it's really damn good. My only complaint so far is that it's hard to find the portal way too often. I find myself lost looking for it too much. Especially in the second stage. Are there any tips for that? Other than that the game is really fun!

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this on switch and it's really damn good. My only complaint so far is that it's hard to find the portal way too often. I find myself lost looking for it too much. Especially in the second stage. Are there any tips for that? Other than that the game is really fun!
There is a particle effect that emanates from it. Once you know to look for it it's impossible to miss.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first game but I just couldn't get into this. Navigating some of the areas got far too tedious far too often.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Really loved this game on PS4 and bought it on other platforms when it got steeply discounted. Enjoyed it much more than the original.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
I picked this up when it first came out on easy access... and that was a mistake. I loved the first game, but this one "launched" with next to no content. I haven't revisited it since (which is probably mostly my fault, but still).

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yep, loved it.

The anniversary patch released not too long ago. They revamped the final boss stage (stage 6 if you just take every teleporter), added a new survivor (Bandit) and tweaked a bunch of survivor abilites and gear.

It feels like a good warmup for Returnal. I hope they're pretty similar.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Popular but criminally under-discussed game imo.

Need to get back to it.

I know it but maybe my eyes aren't as good or spotting that effect on handheld mode is harder than other platforms? I wonder how the game looks on PC or PS5.

On PC it's crystal clear. Wonder if it's an issue with how TV resolutions work.

Oct 25, 2017
I know it but maybe my eyes aren't as good or spotting that effect on handheld mode is harder than other platforms? I wonder how the game looks on PC or PS5.
Ah, yeah I also play on Switch and have gotten used to spotting it. After playing a lot I've also learned where it might be hiding when I don't spot the particles.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The shift to 3D turned me off at first. But after playing it, I realised what a great job they did translating everything that made RoR fun to 3D gameplay.
They pulled it off so well that I'm annoyed at myself for ever doubting it.

It feels like a good warmup for Returnal. I hope they're pretty similar.
Nice to see I'm not the only one who thought of RoR when seeing Returnal gameplay!

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I can routinely beat RoR1 with any character every run. Its my favorite roguelike. I finally took the time to start the sequel and... I SUCK. Any tips? I've tried rushing the teleporter, get crushed, or farming until 4 or 5 minutes, crushed. Maybe I should admit defeat and move to drizzle :(