• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
i've always been super interested in dwarf fortress, but alas, could never parse through its dense mechanics and somewhat archaic (but charming!) ascii aesthetics. when i heard that rimworld was a game that was both more accessible, and had a fun 'western space punk' vibe, i decided to give it a try. honestly, really glad i did. it might be my new favorite game i've bought this year.

i went for a temperate forest, just to get a sense of the game. i'm playing with quite a few mods -- mostly qol ones to make life easier. and dual wielding. gotta have dual wielding. after this campaign i want to dabble into some other mods. it's been so far, so good, though not without its challenges. here's how my base looks r/n:

RsjuEkn.jpg

i had an arctic wolf, zino, who didn't survive the winter + toxic fallout wombo combo. i can't bear to destroy her bed, though. that was a rough one. had to subsist on insect meat and insect jelly to live. that weird entrance with rice plants in it is part of my desperate efforts to survive. it didn't work. i'm thinking of turning it into a comms center. hopefully another toxic fallout doesn't hit winter again, because otherwise, we should be able to subsist easily on the wildlife. i'm considering making a hydroponics center just in case. but i think i'd like to make a proper comms center, a crematorium, and a hospital room first.

things have been good since winter, however. power has been something of an issue, but there's a nearby lake, so i'm thinking of making a watermill generator. i might have to cave and make a second battery, though. i'm a little afraid of that because if they catch on fire, shit gets bad real fast.

the yaks keep starving when i don't give them free reign of the pantry-- fat chance-- so i'm trying to whip up some haygrass for them. for some reason the boomalope never has this issue. go figure.

a game like this is only as good as its stories and characters, however, and i manage to get a very color cast of characters for the ride.

blackjack wakefield: a space pirate searching for the assassin that killed his parents and left him abandoned-- seriously jesus i wasn't expecting the bios to be this involved-- and the de facto leader of the group. his shooting, social, and medical (???) are pretty off the charts, so he's essential to home camp. are dual autopistols the most efficient thing he could do? no. is it cool? hell yeah. recently i've discovered that he's something of a unrepentant lady killer, even though he has a wife. that's also at the base.

gecko decktar: oh, boy. this guy. he escaped a mysterious plague as a child, and instead of being traumatized, decided that science is way past cool. he's also essential to the team, with a whopping 19 in science and growing, and his hard worker trait, with his help i utterly breezed through researching microelectrics early. unfortunately, he's also a little bit of a psychopath, with a bit of a knife obsession, and has a tendency to get into fights with anyone that's not his wife or sister, especially--

gleb tate: a wilting, lazy artist who's 'too smart' for hard labor. at first i thought i was making a mistake picking him up. with his double passion in cooking, though, he proved to be an assert. when he's not keeping everyone alive, he makes art of excellent or masterwork quality that sells like hotcakes. him and gecko have some weird frenemy thing going on, i can never tell if they're pals or worst rivals.

zoya decktar: gecko's wife, a machinist, who crash landed nearby, evidentially from a rival faction. don't ask me how that works. zoya was a tough nut to crack, despite the fact that she was happy to see her husband again and blatantly wanted to sleep with him. eventually though, she caved, and now makes most of the camp's weapons and machinery. the fighting has gone drastically down with her around, leading me to believe she's the rock in gecko's life. gleb is trying to persue her, because i guess he has a death wish, lmao.

priscilla wakefield: blackjack's wife and a tough as nails space miner. literally just showed up one day and made herself at home. just the kind of person she is. she's taken up the construction and mining parts of the operation with gusto. there's a nearby gold and jade mine on the map, so she + gleb and have really been raking in the silver. unfortunately, she's also heavily scarred, and not the lady she used to be, which leads us to...

minla decktar: gecko's sister who crash landed nearby. nursed back to life. whatever that plague was, evidently it put minla into a coma for years. unfortunately, this means she's not very skilled at... anything. but she's extremely passionate, not to mention kind, and seems more willing to help out than the other pawns, so i kept her around to see her potential grow. she is, however, stunningly beautiful, which has led to a heap load of trouble.

maisie wakefield: recently it has been discovered that blackjack's mother is not dead, but in fact still very much alive, as a slave on this very planet. will they ever find her? find out next, on rimworld z?

i have even more stories beyond that, but it just goes to show the great fun of these games -- creating your own narrative out of thin air. i think, after playing this game, i might give dwarf fortress another try. i think i understand the mechanics of a game like this far, far, far better now than i did before.

i don't want to discount rimworld as a second rate, more accessible dwarf fortress, however. it's a wonderful game on its own. the ost alone is worth the price of admission -- and you can buy it on steam! i'd highly recommend it.

EDIT: ah, shoot. my bad. can a mod move this over to gaming side, please? thank you!

Kace

Feb 10, 2020
the system
Yeah this game is fun, haven't played in a while but I should get back into it with the new royalty update.
My best run I built my home base straight into a mountain had a huge refrigeration room and a bunch of other stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly like the concept behind this but it looks so damn bad both artistically and technically that I could never get into it. There has to be a way to make such a game that looks and feels at least decently pleasing.

OP
OP
IBLiSTRiGGER

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah this game is fun, haven't played in a while but I should get back into it with the new royalty update.
My best run I built my home base straight into a mountain had a huge refrigeration room and a bunch of other stuff.

i didn't want to go all into the royalty update until giving the game itself a try, but i'm having so much fun, i think i'll definitely go for it.

i thought about making homebase in one of the mountains but there was a humongous colony of super-bugs in there so i went 'ehhhhhhhhh, maybe not this time. '. there was enough ruins lying around that we didn't need heavy duty mining at first, anyway.

there is its called dwarf fortress

invasion.jpg

lol. it's funny. as much as i have a hard time parsing it, every time i try dwarf fortress with a texture mod, i just don't like it anymore. it's just not the same if it doesn't look like a bunch of numbers and letters. i hope they never update it.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I poured 100 hours into a vanilla playthrough of Rimworld. That's how long it took me to construct and change my escape ship while defending it.

Crazy. ONE PLAYTHROUGH, and I wasn't messing around experimenting with cyborg or harvesting organs or any of that stuff you read other people doing. I started planning and preparing for the objective as once and it still took me that long to get it done.

Great game. Mega commitment

OP
OP
IBLiSTRiGGER

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
a pair of thrumbo just appeared on the map and coincidentally, a quest popped up to supply two thrumbo horns. joy! they're so cute, too. i feel bad killing them-- even though they can wreck entire communiities.

i want to give it a shot, though. their leathers are great, and the rewards being offered are pretty fabulous. a free technology researched, a mega boost to mining, and oodles of hyperweave. so what do you think? right now i'm angling to get autocannons or sniper rifles. should i get the autocannons and see if i can't just trap them and gank them? or should i get sniper rifles and see if blackjack can't take them out before they get too close?

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
a pair of thrumbo just appeared on the map and coincidentally, a quest popped up to supply two thrumbo horns. joy! they're so cute, too. i feel bad killing them-- even though they can wreck entire communiities.

i want to give it a shot, though. their leathers are great, and the rewards being offered are pretty fabulous. a free technology researched, a mega boost to mining, and oodles of hyperweave. so what do you think? right now i'm angling to get autocannons or sniper rifles. should i get the autocannons and see if i can't just trap them and gank them? or should i get sniper rifles and see if blackjack can't take them out before they get too close?

Slaying just one will cost you many injuries even with assault rifles and shotguns. Two? You trying for a game over, lol.

OP
OP
IBLiSTRiGGER

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Slaying just one will cost you many injuries even with assault rifles and shotguns. Two? You trying for a game over, lol.

believe it or not, i managed to do it. with cheating scumbag tactics. i made a narrow room with two doors, one at the front, the other on the side, and dropped a shitton of turrets in it. then i had priscilla-- who has the tough trait so she takes 50% less damage-- aggro it and then just kited it around the room.

it was extremely cowardly and extremely ignoble, but it totally worked so, hey, lol. i wish i took a video of it, it felt like the benny hill theme ought to have been playing. it's a shame i don't get to keep the horn, they make great weapons, but i'll take the thrumbofur dusters as a secondary prize

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
believe it or not, i managed to do it. with cheating scumbag tactics. i made a narrow room with two doors, one at the front, the other on the side, and dropped a shitton of turrets in it. then i had priscilla-- who has the tough trait so she takes 50% less damage-- aggro it and then just kited it around the room.

it was extremely cowardly and extremely ignoble, but it totally worked so, hey, lol. i wish i took a video of it, it felt like the benny hill theme ought to have been playing. it's a shame i don't get to keep the horn, they make great weapons, but i'll take the thrumbofur dusters as a secondary prize

You are much more resourceful than I am.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Rimworld is immensely fun. A perfect balance of accessibility against the inscrutable depths of Dwarf Fortress.

On the subject of Dwarf Fortress, work just started to introduce graphics. I'm not sure how to feel about that, there is something charming about my ASCII dwarves that raster graphics can't quite capture.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rim world is great. Haven't played it in a little while, but always fun when I do.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kenshi is an amazing alternative to Rimworld and Dwarf. Ultra complex as well.

Now that it's on GoG as well, there is no reason left for me, to not buy it.
I've watched hours of it over the years (someone from a gaming channel I follow plays it every now and then) and it is super intriguing.
But I'm still not sure if it is really something for me alone to play. And also: RIP my freetime then. :O

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
in a couple hundred hours ive only played through maybe 4 games and each time i think how the hell did i spend so long on this playthrough. Ive not played it since 2018 though apparently so its due for another run. maybe ill try a permanently wintery level.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
That's actually a game I kept my eye on for a while but it isn't as heavily procedurally generated and randomized as Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress. Apart from that it's still not exactly pleasing to look at either.
So you're right, Kenshi isn't the same genre since it's its own weird hybrid, but it's definitely a relative of some kind to DF. And as far as looks, technically it isn't impressive at all, but it has very good art direction that takes advantage of the large open world and 3D graphics. It's a little unassuming at first and the Steam page doesn't have great screenshots, but trust me, the game has some sights to see.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I haven't played in like two years but I thought the game wasn't getting more updates from V1.0 onward.
I should jump back on it when the new update releases.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I've really wanted to play Rimworld, but the developer hard-coding their sexism and biphobia into the game keeps me away.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
i REALLY want to try this game, it seems incredible. i'm afraid it might be too much for me and i'll bounce off it though.

Oct 27, 2017
So you're right, Kenshi isn't the same genre since it's its own weird hybrid, but it's definitely a relative of some kind to DF. And as far as looks, technically it isn't impressive at all, but it has very good art direction that takes advantage of the large open world and 3D graphics. It's a little unassuming at first and the Steam page doesn't have great screenshots, but trust me, the game has some sights to see.

Well I'll find it out soon enough since I've bought it recently from the money I got from trading all the cards I had left in Steam. Would have been a hard sell for me otherwise.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Lack of z-axis after years of Dwarf Fortress just had me bouncing off so quick.

OP
OP
IBLiSTRiGGER

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Could you elaborate?

for a long time, pawns couldn't be bisexual. they changed that very recently with the latest patch, though. i have a bisexual pawn in my unga bunga tribe campaign -- but still, it is a little too late.

pawns can also be misogynist (or misandrist but that's not nearly as loaded) and it's very weird. everyone just tolerates this raging sexist in the community.

for a long time, pawns couldn't be bisexual. they changed that very recently with the latest patch, though. i have a bisexual pawn in my unga bunga tribe campaign -- but still, it is a little too late.

pawns can also be misogynist (or misandrist but that's not nearly as loaded) and it's very weird. everyone just tolerates this raging sexist in the community.
Ah, ok. So samesex wasn't possible before?

I knew about that "doesn't like women / men" thing, but put it more under the many quirks the characters can have.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018

Tynan is indeed a knob and it is offputting. Although he at least realized maybe he shouldn't vocally be one which goes a long way these days. Still can't blame folk for being turned off by his behavior or the overly edgy community

i REALLY want to try this game, it seems incredible. i'm afraid it might be too much for me and i'll bounce off it though.
Rimworld is not my favorite df-like, but I think it is the most accessible. Year(s?) ago Scott Manley did a great video that was a brief intro that mostly manifested as "here is how you actually play the game mechanically" that, combined with a text based quickstart guide, should be enough to consistently get you to Winter in order hour or two

But the main advantage, and disadvantage, of Rimworld is that the time from mistake to wipe is so fast. In Dwarf Fortress or ONI it is very common to enter a daeth spiral and not realizing it for too long. In Rimworld? One mistake is often enough to get your entire colony killed in order days. This is great for immediate feedback and learning from your mistakes but it means actually recovering from a mistake is an endgame skillset and you rapidly start feeling like RNG is all that matters.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I love Rimworld. One of my favorite games. I've been playing an artic colony, which is maybe a little too brutally hard for me to actually enjoy.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is your cooling, cooling properly? It looks like the hot air is partly being blown back into the room? Also if you're not storing food in there I'm not sure there's a reason to be cooling it, though I might be wrong on that.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Is your cooling, cooling properly? It looks like the hot air is partly being blown back into the room? Also if you're not storing food in there I'm not sure there's a reason to be cooling it, though I might be wrong on that.
I didn't notice that, but a thing I did notice was that the bedrooms open directly into one another. You gotta give em' halls so they don't wake each other up passing through.

OP
OP
IBLiSTRiGGER

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Tynan is indeed a knob and it is offputting. Although he at least realized maybe he shouldn't vocally be one which goes a long way these days. Still can't blame folk for being turned off by his behavior or the overly edgy community

Rimworld is not my favorite df-like, but I think it is the most accessible. Year(s?) ago Scott Manley did a great video that was a brief intro that mostly manifested as "here is how you actually play the game mechanically" that, combined with a text based quickstart guide, should be enough to consistently get you to Winter in order hour or two

But the main advantage, and disadvantage, of Rimworld is that the time from mistake to wipe is so fast. In Dwarf Fortress or ONI it is very common to enter a daeth spiral and not realizing it for too long. In Rimworld? One mistake is often enough to get your entire colony killed in order days. This is great for immediate feedback and learning from your mistakes but it means actually recovering from a mistake is an endgame skillset and you rapidly start feeling like RNG is all that matters.

oh. yeah. tynan is a humongous knob. he's mostly shut up though, and, tbh, that's oftentimes the best you can hope for with bigots. if they won't change, at least they can realize to keep their shit to themselves.

re: rng, you are absolutely right! i love it and hate it, lol. it's very immediate. quests require a little planning and forethought, but nothing like df, where you can be dead long before you actually know it. they're different, for sure. not better or worse. just different.

oh. lol. oops. thanks for that. have to switch that around. though, as for why they're being cooled, they complain when it's summer and they have to sleep in the heat. you can adjust the temp for their comfort as the seasons pass. just a little qol thing.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
That air conditioner is definitely just spewing hot air back into the space its trying to cool

Dr. Alu

Dec 7, 2017
I tried it for several tens of hours after I kept reading praise about it and thought it was nice, but I was missing a lot of things. But I have to be fair, I played Dwarf Fortress before and that is just another level.
I especially missed the possibility to mine downward.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Ever since caravaning around the overworld map was added it has quickly become one of my favorite games ever. It's in the perfect sweet spot of accessibility, depth and random whackiness, I guess. Plus the mod community is up there with the best of them.

I'm glad that they decided to extend support after 1.0 and do actual expansions, and that it's obviously done so well for them.