• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing quite a few games during my end of the year holidays Game Pass exploration, and right now I'm hooked on RE7. I'm pretty new to the RE series, having only played REmake in 2018 and RE2make last year.

Horror games were never my jam, but I quite liked the two remakes. The first had a more old-school vibe (and those ink ribbons certainly upped the tension to 11), while the second felt naturally very modern, with Mr X being the main driver of suspense.

My first contact with RE7 was actually at E3 2016, and I remember that at the time I thought the game was going for the audience Konami had abandoned with PT/Silent Hills (which is the scariest shit I've played). I thought that along with the first-person perspective, we'd get more psychological terror and less puzzles and action.

So I was quite surprised the first time I found a safe room in RE7, and realized that the same core game loop from RE and RE2 was intact here. But it manages at the same time to be more modern than RE with many QoL features and more retro than RE2 since it's not so action heavy.

I always liked the exploration and puzzle solving of RE, and this is totally here. The game in general feels like a huge escape room (at a certain point, quite literally) and it's so satisfying to slowly put things together and in a way claim your territory.

It's also great how you start with your bare fists and in the late game you can have a power trip with all your weapons, but at the same time the game often throws you off and subverts that.

Generally I don't like very scary things and once the initial tension sets down, I don't find this game so scary. There aren't as many fodder enemies around so I didn't need to worry so much about managing my ammo. And often I have the option of fighting things head on or running and finding my way around things.

Right now I'm on the ship and the main mystery is starting to unfold. This also made me realize that the background story here is more interesting than "zombie virus got released." There is something truly twisted about the family, and I can't wait to find out what it is.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Really glad you're enjoying it! I-

Right now I'm on the ship and the main mystery is starting to unfold.

Oops, spoke too soon lol. Curious to know what you think of the game after the ship section.

Other than that part, the games a near masterpiece. Just needed a bit more enemy variety.

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Great write-up. Maybe I should try and get into it again. I'm also not too big a fan of the horror. Got enough stress as it is, but I enjoyed the part I played. Got past the first part I think, and then stopped for some reason

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I've been playing quite a few games during my end of the year holidays Game Pass exploration, and right now I'm hooked on RE7. I'm pretty new to the RE series, having only played REmake in 2018 and RE2make last year.

Horror games were never my jam, but I quite liked the two remakes. The first had a more old-school vibe (and those ink ribbons certainly upped the tension to 11), while the second felt naturally very modern, with Mr X being the main driver of suspense.

My first contact with RE7 was actually at E3 2016, and I remember that at the time I thought the game was going for the audience Konami had abandoned with PT/Silent Hills (which is the scariest shit I've played). I thought that along with the first-person perspective, we'd get more psychological terror and less puzzles and action.

So I was quite surprised the first time I found a safe room in RE7, and realized that the same core game loop from RE and RE2 was intact here. But it manages at the same time to be more modern than RE with many QoL features and more retro than RE2 since it's not so action heavy.

I always liked the exploration and puzzle solving of RE, and this is totally here. The game in general feels like a huge escape room (at a certain point, quite literally) and it's so satisfying to slowly put things together and in a way claim your territory.

It's also great how you start with your bare fists and in the late game you can have a power trip with all your weapons, but at the same time the game often throws you off and subverts that.

Generally I don't like very scary things and once the initial tension sets down, I don't find this game so scary. There aren't as many fodder enemies around so I didn't need to worry so much about managing my ammo. And often I have the option of fighting things head on or running and finding my way around things.

Right now I'm on the ship and the main mystery is starting to unfold. This also made me realize that the background story here is more interesting than "zombie virus got released." There is something truly twisted about the family, and I can't wait to find out what it is.
I liked a lot RE7, I remember having to stop around the Marguerite fight due to some RL stuff and ended up selling the game. Now that it is in the ps+ collection I might be able to finish it.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Have fun, OP. I thought the boat was an okay change of pace from what came before, but it went on for too long.

The DLC is worth playing if you come out enjoying it after the end.

Ehh. I thought NaH was a flatline. I still haven't bothered with EoZ or the other DLC partly because of it (also bc NaH was either less optimized or more demanding than the base game).

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Have fun, OP. I thought the boat was an okay change of pace from what came before, but it went on for too long.

Ehh. I thought NaH was a flatline. I still haven't bothered with EoZ or the other DLC partly because of it (also bc NaH was either less optimized or more demanding than the base game).

You're doing yourself a disservice not playing End of Zoe, full stop.

OP
OP
Naner

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the game. The last part is certainly not as strong as the core of the game, since it's basically a linear corridor followed by a pretty cinematic climax. But it's okay.

The ship section wasn't bad, it felt like a game within a game. But the levels are certainly not as interesting as the house.

The game really shines after the prologue until before the ship section. Each of the areas have different styles and approaches which is really cool. The sad part for me is that there really wasn't much need for backtracking, except for a little bit after the greenhouse fight. There's no reason to return to the Old House or the Greenhouse, which is a bit strange considering how much that happened in RE1 and RE2, at least in the initial chunk of the game.

Generally I liked the story but there are some loose threads, which maybe are explained in the DLC.

Anyway, I still really liked the game and I'm curious to see what's next for the series.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Loved pretty much everything about RE7 outside of the lack of enemy variety and some weird pacing parts. RE8 seems like the perfect build up sequel to fix that issue plus merchant

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you like it.

The dlc indeed ties the loose ends. Both Not a Hero and The end of Zoe.

Be ready for a different playstyle though.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
The first half is great but I never come back to it because of the tanker.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
It's disliked? The atmosphere was amazing. It's the area after that mostly loses me.

Yeah in a lot of discussions I see a lot of people have it as their drop off point. But I'm with you the atmosphere was really cranked up and I like that it has two endings based on your choice with who you gave the vial to. I preferred it to Lucas' funhouse and the mines section.

OP
OP
Naner

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah in a lot of discussions I see a lot of people have it as their drop off point. But I'm with you the atmosphere was really cranked up and I like that it has two endings based on your choice with who you gave the vial to. I preferred it to Lucas' funhouse and the mines section.
It kind of makes sense as a dropping point because there's a satisfying ending right before it. But I agree, the ship is quite cool and the mines are uninteresting.

Lucas's fun house is very cool the first time around in the VHS. Not so much when you have to do it again knowing the solution.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
It kind of makes sense as a dropping point because there's a satisfying ending right before it. But I agree, the ship is quite cool and the mines are uninteresting.

Lucas's fun house is very cool the first time around in the VHS. Not so much when you have to do it again knowing the solution.

Only thing I like about doing it again was beating Lucas because the first guy got screwed over so badly.

I liked it, too. The end of all classic Resident Evil games changes things up a bit (from mansions to laboratories, from police stations to secret bases) so it fits the style perfectly.

Exactly it's very much still in keeping with what's good about Resident Evils' areas. I thought the change was nice since we'd mostly been in a big house.

I often feel the same haha

Lol thanks for also being with me on this all of you.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Yeah OP, it's a great game and surprised me too. The first 5 hours are still my favorite, finally a game that captured the Texas Chainsaw Massacre feeling.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
I've been, very slowly, chipping away at this in PSVR since its launch. My ability to stay in VR more than an hour, is my limiting factor. I think it's time to dump the VR and finish it, though. Maybe I'll play this on PS5.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it, genuinely terrifying. The house was a triumph and felt like classic resi at times. Also loved the way
everything loops back to the start and you get the grandma twist from a photo you've probably already viewed in an area you've already been through at the beginning of the game, you just didn't understand the context/importance of the image at the time

OP
OP
Naner

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it, genuinely terrifying. The house was a triumph and felt like classic resi at times. Also loved the way
everything loops back to the start and you get the grandma twist from a photo you've probably already viewed in an area you've already been through at the beginning of the game, you just didn't understand the context/importance of the image at the time
Yes, this is absolutely very cool.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It started really good but went downhill after a few hours, I think. The enemies were very boring and the ending was meh. Still looking forward to RE8, though. I liked what Capcom did with the first person perspective in the RE universe.

Oct 27, 2017
RE7 has its flaws, but is ultimately one of my favourite games in the series, and I find it surprisingly re-playable.

For me the absolute most important thing about RE7 is that it establishes the right tone. I honestly thought I was done with the entire franchise after RE6. I can acknowledge but forgive almost every negative about RE7 on the basis that it at least hits the right notes.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I need to go back to RE7. Playing in PSVR it's the scariest game I've ever played, even only a couple hours in.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It's one of the most solid games I've played. It felt just like the old ones. It's not super fantastically great, but it's really good and knows when to quit.

A very pleasant old school experience I'd recommend with closed eyes.