• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
After some Goty lists featured this game i got interested in what the heck this is..
It's currently on sale on PSN so i gave it a chance also because reviews of my trusted outlets seemed very positive about the game.
Dark Souls with firearms they said... and yes that's what it is basically and it's fantastic. The game evokes the same sense of thrill and tension a soulsborne title does.

Remnant nails the gameplay. It simply feels good to shoot those monsters, hit reactions are on point, gunplay feels right, movement is a mix between God of War and The Last of Us.
It just is a really solid TPS, a genuinely fun one.

Everyone remotely interested in a Soulslike game with guns should check this out.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Bought it in the Steam winter sale last week. It does feel great. Looking forward to play more of it.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, great game. Currently, pretty underrated but it looks like they reached a million sales. Gunfire seem keen to add more content as well. Beat it at launch but need to come back to check out the new stuff.

Binhoker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its definitely my favourite non from software souls-like and it's not even close. I really had a blast with it, hopefully it spins out into a load of sequels, I'd rattle through one every couple of years.

OP
OP
Nephilim

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, this is a real-time/action RPG?
Yep. A mix of Resident Evil 4-6 and Dark Souls. Try it out, you'll be surprised at how good it is.
I'm playing on hard and it's very challenging, but not unfair. Go check out some reviews to get a proper picture of the game.

Last edited:

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I played a few areas and just didn't engage me. The gunplay combat was decent. However there were a lot of issues I had.

Firstly the environments all look the same. Do they ever change? It's just a mixture of brown areas sewers, grey brown buildings, drab outdoors. everything has this samey pallet to it. It got old. I thought Gears 1 was famous for this but this takes it to the next level.

Secondly the loot and stuff you get from chests is almost next to useless. Most of the time you're forced to stick to one Armor because you've upgraded it. So even if you find something better it will have worse stats than your uograded stuff and you won't have the resources for ages for upgrading the new stuff. So you automatically end up not using any of it. There isn't even that much loot anyway but it just bugged me that the upgrade system was badly thought out.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Yep. A mix of Resident evil 4-6 and Dark Souls. Try it out, you'll be surprised at how good it is.
I'm playing on hard and it's very challenging, but nut unfair. Go check out some reviews to get a proper picture of the game.
To be honest, I totally misread the title and thought of The Last Remnant...which I almost just bought on the Switch.

just picked this up on PS4...sale prices always encourage me to try new things. I remember hearing about this from the GB crew earlier in the year, but it fell off my radar. Looking forward to it!

OP
OP
Nephilim

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, I totally misread the title and thought of The Last Remnant...which I almost just bought on the Switch.

just picked this up on PS4...sale prices always encourage me to try new things. I remember hearing about this from the GB crew earlier in the year, but it fell off my radar. Looking forward to it!
Choose the difficulty wisely. Hard is really hard, but not harder as Soulsborne games. It depends on you which type of player you are, if you can deal with some frustration.
I personally love playing it on hard, i love being under pressure in games:)

This game is a gem imo.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Refunded it after playing it a couple of hours alone. World and levels are boring and is nothing compared to Bloodborne/Souls games. Procedural generated levels shows it and it isn't good. The gunplay felt off and enemy reaction to any damage felt inconsistent. Difficulty had some spikes which I always find annoying: you swoosh and slice through most enemies without the slightest issue on the horizon and then comes this one enemy/boss that stomps you literally into the ground and eats you for a snack. Always hate that in lots of games.

Maybe it's good if you play it with friends but this applies for a lot of (co-op) games and I prefer games that work (for me) on their own/playing alone.

Also I'm not a fan of finding crafting materials only and no equipment.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Refunded it after playing it a couple of hours alone. World and levels are boring and is nothing compared to Bloodborne/Souls games. Procedural generated levels shows it and it isn't good. The gunplay felt off and enemy reaction to any damage felt inconsistent. Difficulty had some spikes which I always find annoying: you swoosh and slice through most enemies without the slightest issue on the horizon and then comes this one enemy/boss that stomps you literally into the ground and eats you for a snack. Always hate that in lots of games.

Maybe it's good if you play it with friends but this applies for a lot of (co-op) games and I prefer games that work (for me) on their own/playing alone.

Also I'm not a fan of finding crafting materials only and no equipment.
What difficulty were you playing on?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I played a few areas and just didn't engage me. The gunplay combat was decent. However there were a lot of issues I had.

Firstly the environments all look the same. Do they ever change? It's just a mixture of brown areas sewers, grey brown buildings, drab outdoors. everything has this samey pallet to it. It got old. I thought Gears 1 was famous for this but this takes it to the next level.

Secondly the loot and stuff you get from chests is almost next to useless. Most of the time you're forced to stick to one Armor because you've upgraded it. So even if you find something better it will have worse stats than your uograded stuff and you won't have the resources for ages for upgrading the new stuff. So you automatically end up not using any of it. There isn't even that much loot anyway but it just bugged me that the upgrade system was badly thought out.
yes the environments change

a good amount

you end up with lots of resources and armor choices end up not being about the raw numbers but the benefits in passive skills they provide but that takes awhile to get there

remember the game is all about replaying it over and over

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I like the gunplay and upgrading, but absolutely fuck every game that throws a bunch of swarming babyshit enemies at you during bosses to inflate difficulty. It's obnoxious.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it at release and it was kinda janky but still a lot of fun, especially with friends. It's nice to see they're still supporting it.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
The game really hangs its hat on the gameplay. In an otherwise (reportedly) buggy affair, the punch, weight, and responsiveness of the gunplay are really top notch. I can't say the rest is really noteworthy, but when the main thing you do in the game is well done, it's usually worth playing.

As I was playing Gears 5 yesterday, I couldn't help but feel that Remnant's shooting and dodging mechanics were much better.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

This was my exact response to the game.

Dropped it after the first few areas and bosses. Just felt too repetitive all around.

Environments were indeed pretty dull and devoid of any real wonder or discovery(a rather underrated aspect of the Souls' experience that feels missing here) but I mostly only really saw the brown and muted first major zone. It felt never-ending.
Combat felt punchy, but lacked much variety beyond attrition and careful dodging. I didn't get a sense that there was much more to expect from it?

I wanted to love it and was positive at first, but it quickly wore me down and I walked away.

OP
OP
Nephilim

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Played more of this and i'm still very impressed by its core gameplay and how good it feels to play.

My sleeper hit of the year by far.
Well done Gunfire!

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Been smashing through this co-op. It's awesome. They made some really good decisions around how it all works with loot sharing etc.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got this in the steam sale and just got to the 3rd Area.

Its fun but I feel like the gunplay is rather basic. Probably would be more fun with Co-Op I imagine.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Bought it during the PSN sale and have only one trophy left for the Platinum. Surprisingly good AA game, the combat felt great, the bosses themselves are good (but fuck the adds) and the uniqueness of the equipment is good. It's slightly content-starved though and repetitive due to its procedural approach (though still a good amount of content for a cheapish game), the UI is in need of some major fixing, and there are some stupid decisions for the co-op and how people spawn, no indicators etc.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
I've been playing Remnant on Xbox as a total co-op game and it's been a blast. In co-op you are able to specialize your character more, versus playing solo you have to have a well-rounded character.

The story is a bit sparse but enough to hold my interest. I want to know what happened to ruin the world.

I would say this game is tough but fair.

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
Me and and mate tried playing this (on normal) but the first boss Gorefist kicked our arse and we game up. The exploding adds were just too much. Any tips?

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Excelent game, the game play is too much fun.

I also love the mod system, pretty cool take on magic.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Me and and mate tried playing this (on normal) but the first boss Gorefist kicked our arse and we game up. The exploding adds were just too much. Any tips?
Gorefist has the roughest add implementation in game, the suiciding root are deadly and sometimes difficult to kill from long distance because of the bossroom's shape.

When you hear them screaming eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, start focusing on the adds immediately if possible. I think there's always 2, so úse various methods to deal with them quickly, whether it's your weapons, mod, or using your i-frames to roll from the explosion.

Gorefist himself isn't very complicated. He's just one of those brute minibosses from earlier in the game, just with addition of occasional self-buff period. Learn to dodge through his attacks, they're not very complicated, just maybe have bit more range than expected. Shotgun melts his HP pretty effectively in the fight, particularly if you bought the fire mod and turn it on before you unload. On top of the extra damage, Burn DoTs stack in this game.

Gorefist is bit of a "Remnant's Capra Demon". The same thing applies: deal with the adds in this claustrophobic area first so that you don't get wombo combo'ed

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Actually went back to this yesterday and played a few hours of the Nightmare difficulty - both re-rolling the campaign as well as re-certain worlds on their own - and the gunplay is still really satisfying to use. I doubt I'll create a new character on Nightmare. Doubt I have time to permanently lose character after character - all of whom were lost, no doubt, because I got cocky and got killed by the last or second-last enemy in a dungeon (as has happened many a time).

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Is this good if you play it solo? I thought it looked super cool but got the impression it was MP only?

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
I've had a good time with the game too. Pleased to see the game getting some recognition as i feel their previous release (DarkSiders 3) remains under-rated.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is this good if you play it solo? I thought it looked super cool but got the impression it was MP only?

It's one of those "good in solo; great in co-op" situations. I played and finished the campaign on solo, but it really benefits when you have two others helping you out, given how a lot of the bosses have add's and other enemies to deal with that can come from multiple directions. Plus, on the first time through when you decide to join someone else's game, it's nice to see what areas and bosses you yourself missed out on given how the procedural nature of the game works.

OP
OP
Nephilim

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm loving my solo playthrough, the game is quite atmospheric and the enemy design is really good and varied, leveldesign altough procedurally generated makes you explore a bit and rewards you.

Not every game has to have incredible leveldesign to be good or fun.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you're enjoying it! We've got a bunch more coming for the game in 2020 and I think it's some of the coolest stuff we've done yet!

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Killed the last boss yesterday. Finished the game in 3 nights solo and as an old gamer I don't remember doing this for a long time. Remnant really captured me.
The interesting thing is, I have a huge backlog, have little time but can not wait to play more of Remnant, as I miss some of the cool boss weapons.

And huge props to the design team; World, enemy, weapon designs and atmosphere are all top notch.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this gem of a game!
Looking forward for what you have in store.
Is there a roadmap for things to come in 2020?
We shared this back in October, but we'll be updating it soon!

da085d80ab5553fbc1abc4e62eea421c1572375678.jpg

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see this thread. I've been undecided between Remnant and Wolcen on PC.
I'm soaking up impressions of Remnant and watching videos of gameplay, but I'm still not completely sold.
looking forward to seeing what people think of the game on Era.

edit: Seeing that Gunfire's going to continue adding to the game's a great thing. Either way I'm buying one of these today.

Last edited:

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I like the gunplay and upgrading, but absolutely fuck every game that throws a bunch of swarming babyshit enemies at you during bosses to inflate difficulty. It's obnoxious.
This. I'm at the first real boss (I guess) and playing solo, and the the boss can not only put maneuver you, but they also throw those fucking spore exploding dudes at you at the same time.

this game is not meant to be played solo and that they let you, but don't balance for it is extremely frustrating.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving my solo playthrough, the game is quite atmospheric and the enemy design is really good and varied, leveldesign altough procedurally generated makes you explore a bit and rewards you.

Not every game has to have incredible leveldesign to be good or fun.

Thats good to hear, after watching the Giantbomb videos of it I thought it looked great but somehow came away with the impression it was co-op only... I've jumped in but not got far yet.

I'm soaking up impressions of Remnant and watching videos of gameplay, but I'm still not completely sold.

Not sure if it needs a premium subscription but the giant bomb playdate of this is pretty cool. Theres also a 45min quick look which you can watch for free.

OP
OP
Nephilim

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
This. I'm at the first real boss (I guess) and playing solo, and the the boss can not only put maneuver you, but they also throw those fucking spore exploding dudes at you at the same time.

this game is not meant to be played solo and that they let you, but don't balance for it is extremely frustrating.
He is difficult yes, managed to beat him on hard solo.
To beat him you need space to operate, don't fight him and those little bastards in corridors. If you manage to let them explode in his face they do actually a good deal of damage to the boss. You can avoid the explosions by letting them come towards you and roll away with right timing. There will spawn at max three of them, so whenever you hear "ehhhhhh" be ready that they will hunt you until selfdestruction. Perform an extra roll if you feel they are behind you.
As for the boss himself, don't use melee attacks he will counter and punish you. Use firearms and always roll to the left (like in Souls games). The fire-bullet mod for the regular handgun helped me a big deal.

He is hard and suppousedly one of the hardest in the game, but nowhere as hard as some of the hardest in soulsborne games. He would be too easy without those explosive helpers IMO.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know we had a thread going on this game. I've been playing it for a little bit now. Beat the campaign and am now doing Earth Adventures to try to get some gear I want. Some of the bosses are just ridiculous as a solo player, but it's been fun to figure them out. Luckily, a buddy has been able to come in and help me through the tough spots. And I have Ruin +5 now, so I'm able to survive just fine for the most part.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing on Gamepass, I think my Biggest gripe, unless I missed it, is that there's no lock on, if there isn't a lock on mechanic, that's kinda dumb?

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know we had a thread going on this game. I've been playing it for a little bit now. Beat the campaign and am now doing Earth Adventures to try to get some gear I want. Some of the bosses are just ridiculous as a solo player, but it's been fun to figure them out. Luckily, a buddy has been able to come in and help me through the tough spots. And I have Ruin +5 now, so I'm able to survive just fine for the most part.
www.resetera.com

Remnant From The Ashes |OT| A New Soul Rises From The Ashes

Release Date: Vip access for preorders 16th august , release day august 20th Developer : GunFireGames Publisher: PerfectWorld Platforms: Steam , Arc , Xbox , Playstation 4 Price(s) £30.99 $39.99 Remnant Twitter official website Reviews : Metacritic THE REMNANT OF MANKIND. The world is in...

This was probably my favorite game of 2019.

mace999

Dec 7, 2017
Love the game, can't beat the 1st boss with the explosive spores :(
I've watched YouTube videos, read hints and still get annihilated by him.
I've finished all Soulsborne games apart from Sekiro, so I'm not that bad at games :(

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about grabbing that game for a while now. Almost pulled the trigger during the Steam sale.

Since it's one Gamepass I tried it on my xb1 but I still have a launch console so it looks and run like shit.

What's been stopping me from buying it on PC is the focus on multiplayer compared to regular souls games. I know it's technically playable in solo (I don't like playing games in co-op) but I'm worried it won't be well balanced for that kind of experience.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
looking forward to seeing what people think of the game on Era.

edit: Seeing that Gunfire's going to continue adding to the game's a great thing. Either way I'm buying one of these today.

I never even heard of Wolcen until you brought it up. I see the game is almost out of Beta and approaching near final / release candidate status.

I always enjoy a good ARPG so thanks for the heads up.

As for Remnant for the Ashes, I know it's available on Gamepass, but it's good it has an update roadmap, will probably check it out.

lol_not_ok

Mar 30, 2019
I really enjoyed this one up until the final boss, I quit there because it felt like a gear check and everything I had leveled up wasn't working that well, rather than grind out resources I just quit and moved on.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
I am usually not even a shooter fan, but I loved Remnant. Played the whole game solo basically with the hunting rifle, and the gunplay feels so good!

It does have a Souls vibe to it, but don't expect level design to be as excellent. Nevertheless it feels great to progress slowly through a level. And the relief when you finally reach the next checkpoint never gets old.

Gameplay, presentation, atmosphere - it all clicked for me.