• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Arthur outcome was clear to me when the game was announced, but what really matter was how they delivery and oh boy it was great, too bad the game has a lot of problems.
Every game has lots of problems. Vast magnitudes more problems with development and within the company. What they accomplished was superb though.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Yeah I finally went back to beat it before I sold my X and it was simply amazing. The end still sits with me, the song ingrained in my brain.

will pick it up again on PC someday and play the whole way through without dropping it

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Not only did losing Arthur sting badly, but I had Buell. Man...I went through horses like crazy but after the side mission with Hamish, it really hit home how Arthur was just needing a friend, a genuine, kind stranger like himself in Hamish and even though it was an untimely death, being gifted Buell felt special and I stuck with him until the end. So losing Buell, parting ways with Abigail and Sadie with his last breaths, then dying in the sunset.

Fuck, this was a powerful game. Roger Clark was amazing.

Dr. Alu

Dec 7, 2017
Utter brilliance - but for me it continued to fast with John. Some credits between Arthur and John would have been good. I took some days off because I was still overwhelmed with Arthur's ending and couldn't just proceed so fast as John.
Personally I think that it could have ended with Arthur but on the other hand I liked the epilogue and i think it connected the game well to RDR1.

Roger Clarke was just amazing.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I came back to the game after a very long period of time not touching it and have been playing the last 2 chapters for a week now.

Arthur just died and the epilogue started.
I... don't know what to say really. I spent so many hours looking at the character that at the end I just couldn't hold it and cried like a fucking baby when he died, staring at the sunrise.
Arthur was so well characterized and so well written that I almost felt like I watched a real person die.
Jesus, Rockstar, just wow. I'm probably gonna hold off doing the epilogue for a few more days but this was (mostly) amazing and I regret not playing through it back when it came out. Wasn't the biggest fan of the first game even back in the day but this is a massive improvement in almost every way.

p.s. and hire some better mission designers next time pls

That photo (mayne a bit diff. angle) is my PS profile cover. I cried lile a baby too.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I came back to the game after a very long period of time not touching it and have been playing the last 2 chapters for a week now.

Arthur just died and the epilogue started.
I... don't know what to say really. I spent so many hours looking at the character that at the end I just couldn't hold it and cried like a fucking baby when he died, staring at the sunrise.
Arthur was so well characterized and so well written that I almost felt like I watched a real person die.
Jesus, Rockstar, just wow. I'm probably gonna hold off doing the epilogue for a few more days but this was (mostly) amazing and I regret not playing through it back when it came out. Wasn't the biggest fan of the first game even back in the day but this is a massive improvement in almost every way.

p.s. and hire some better mission designers next time pls

I couldn't give a shit about Arthur OP, but losing my horse wrecked me

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Yes!!
after tlou series, RDR2 is the most emotional game I've ever played.
Arthur is a incredible well written character.
Acting in this game is absolute fantastic to...
What a fantastic game.

May 10, 2019
I first watch the horse I became very fond of die while giving his all for Arthur. Then the knockout punch of Arthur also dying while Micah escapes at the end.

tumblr_phsnuzvxi91tgsz33o2_540.gif

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Shine bright into darkness

Yeah, you really get to go on a special journey with Arthur, especially if you okay with high honor

Best R* protag

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Remember before release when everyone was questioning Rockstars decision on Arthur as the main character? So many we're dismissive but then Arthur turned out to be one of the most genuine protagonists in gaming. Absolutely loved his arc.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Remember before release when everyone was questioning Rockstars decision on Arthur as the main character? So many we're dismissive but then Arthur turned out to be one of the most genuine protagonists in gaming. Absolutely loved his arc.

Yeah, I remember myself being really skeptical a prequel could be all thst compelling given we would know so many fates of the characters, but damn the story and characters just blew my socks off.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That's part of it. But the ending changes pretty markedly depending on what level karma Arthur is at when you enter the final mission. Did Micah kill Arthur himself or did Arthur go peacefully after Dutch showed up?

It's obvious from the screenshot in the OP, that particular scene (with the sun coming up) only happens if Arthur has good karma.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I think the epilogue is awesome and an impactful way to illustrate how the path of violence/crime just builds ceaselessly.

masterpiece.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
I feel like the epilogue was there for Rockstar to say they won't be making any more RDR games to fill in the timeline

I bet RDR3 comes out 6-8 years from now, with one of the following storylines:

A) A prequel to RDR2 with the meeting of Dutch and Hosea and the formation of the gang
B) A sequel to RDR1 featuring Jack as he deals with WW1 and/or the roaring 20s
C) A completely new cast/idea set in the west

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I like him more than Marston... and I really like Marston, so that says something about how well they developed his character. Genuine warmth and depth there. But that epilogue was so good. I immediately went back and started a new game of RDR1 on One X after I finished RDR2. Within its first hour, you're already connecting dots you didn't even know were there before. So good!

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Truly Rockstar's magnus opus. I kind of wonder if they'll producer another game of this scope after Houser left.

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arthur is my favorite video game character of all time. The final horse ride back to the camp with "That's The Way It Is" playing makes me tear up every time.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6 is the best part of the game and the epilogue is incredible for super fans of the first game

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
One of the best endings that had a huge impact on me for weeks. That music still gives me chills.

Seeing everything Red Dead Redemption II built to, having questions that I had answered, watching everything fall apart and yet hopeful, seeing Arthur attempt to do something in his limited time was just amazing.

I see a lot of people prefer the epilogue but in a sense I wish RDR2 was free of RDR1 because RDR1 is a more cynical game. It makes me a bit sad to know that everything Arthur did for John, John in turn wasted and squandered.

John literally built a ranch and tried to work at an honest living. The Pinkertons eventually tracked him down and kidnapped his family, forcing him to kill the gang members that betrayed him in exchange for their freedom. He got done real dirty, but I can't see how he squandered it.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I bet RDR3 comes out 6-8 years from now, with one of the following storylines:

A) A prequel to RDR2 with the meeting of Dutch and Hosea and the formation of the gang
B) A sequel to RDR1 featuring Jack as he deals with WW1 and/or the roaring 20s
C) A completely new cast/idea set in the west
Here's hoping! It's a great franchise, no doubt. I'm just not sure how much further they can evolve the gameplay

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
The end was perfect, but I loved the epilogue, too. It definitely gave me some closure on the whole thing.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I'm currently playing through RDR2 for the first time and I see that I finished Chapter 6 about 30 minutes after this thread went live. Arthur's story was so great I too choked up when he finally died. It's a shame I already knew he would get TB and die in the game, but now the rest of the game is unknown to me. I haven't played the first RDR either and there I only know you play as John (and that it's mostly in the west), so I'm looking forward on that front on what characters show up the rest of my time in that universe.

Jun 20, 2018
I felt like the death of the main character and then a new one for the epilogue was dampened quite a bit by them just repeating what they'd done in RDR, but Arthur was a great character, and they did a great job of sending him off.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was blown away and utterly devastated by the ending in RDR1. And even though I like Arthur even more as a character and I did enjoy the ending it didn't hit nearly as hard as the one from RDR1. Mostly because it was spelled out from the moment you get diagnosed. And the entirety of the final mission is pretty much screaming 'You're about to die! Get ready!!' the entire way through.

So when it finally did happen I wasn't as touched by it to be honest.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Arthur is by far one of if not the best protagonist Rockstar has written. I find a lot of Rockstar's writing painfully underwhelming, but they nailed Arthur's identity and arc.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely this - i was in the same boat questioning Arthur as a protag compared to John but also how he was portrayed in the pre-release material simply did not do him any semblance of justice. The way Arthur developed over a single game and how interlaced that was the karma and choices systems present was something that very few developers seem to be able to pull off, yet alone even attempt to tell because games and narratives of this scale and depth are just rare.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah guarma was unneeded imho. Didnt add anything to the story. Same with the epilogue. Wont complain about more game obviously

I don't think it was handled particularly well, and it does fuck the pacing a bit, but Guarma adds to the story/theme.

Not sure I'd call it foreshadowing as such, but it's a kind of flash-forward. It shows the player first-hand the hollowness of Dutch's promises of paradise and the inevitability of the gang's demise; it doesn't matter where or how far they go, they're doomed.

The epilogue, though, is excellent, through and through.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
It makes me a bit sad to know that everything Arthur did for John, John in turn wasted and squandered.
I have to quote.
It was awful playing with John kwnowing all what was coming.

I liked building the farm, but honestly, I would have preferred to be able to choose who to continue playing with. And I would have chosen Sadie Adler.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Woah what. I'll have to go for low honor Arthur on my second playthrough then.

How long does the epilogue take btw, anyone know?
10ish hours maybe? It's long, but absolutely worth it in the end.

I hope they actually let this franchise, or at least the Dutch saga, rest. I didn't think they could do a worthy follow up after RDR1 and then RDR2 came out, but now with Dan having left and Rockstar becoming greedy online fucks, I have my doubts. Shame, truly.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Came in here to say this , those trailers painted him out to be one mean son of a bitch , and he was. I decided right there and then I did not like this new guy. The journey he goes through is insane.

And the fact that OP still has so much left to do. Parts of the Epilogue are cathartic, and parts are pure hairs standing on the back of your neck hype.

This game is one of the GOATs .

Last edited:

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I'm a little worried Rockstar will never make another game like this again with the rise of Online and the one Houser moving on. It's so damn good.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I'm a little worried Rockstar will never make another game like this again with the rise of Online and the one Houser moving on. It's so damn good.
Dan was low key one of the best writers in gaming. Their stories could be hit or miss at times (mainly the GTAs), but their dialogue and character writing has always been excellent imo.