• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RDR2 balance between fun and realism

• ⭐️ Is bang on perfect

Votes: 113 50.4%
  • 🔫 Could have done with a little more tightening to make it marginally more casual to play

Votes: 74 33.0%
  • 🧠 Not enough realism I want to see that thirst meter increase with every step I take

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • 🕹 Gimme an arcade mode please...

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • 🧭 Let me climb the church tower to unlock the map and all collectible locations

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 🛸 A teleporter might not be realistic but at least it let's me get around quickly

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • 🔨 RDR2 would have benefitted by taking a little more from Thor: The Dark World's playbook

Votes: 19 8.5%

• Total voters

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So... I've recently started playing RDR2 (on PS5).

I am now part way through Chapter 2 and mostly enjoying the story and characters, however the gameplay is starting to wear on me.

In no particular order
  • The game is super dark at night. If a gun fight happens past dusk I might as well be playing blindfolded I see jack shit.
    • Same indoors and in cabins, it's just too damn dark.
  • The lack of fast travel is a chore... The game is gorgeous and I enjoy looking at the countryside as much as the next person, however it does get old after a while. Sure I can set my horse on autopilot to go half way across the map, but even that will take 5+ minutes in which I will undoubtedly be distracted by other things in my surrounding and if I happen to leave the room my character will inevitably come across some highway bandits who kill me before I come back to the controller...
  • Walking is laboriously slow... Running isn't fast to begin with, but once we cannot run it's like wading in molasses to walk through camp or a cabin...
  • looting houses, cabinets and corpses is also tediously slow. paired with the slow walking speed I loath having to to clear a house for all the potential loot therein.
  • Heaven forbid if you loose your horse. I was doing some quest that put me on a train and I just stayed on the train to travel a little further and then jumped off it in the middle of nowhere... little did I know that the horse couldn't be summoned, so I had a long hike to get somewhere useful again...
  • The law is also very unforgiving. I stop an NPC from being kidnapped and hogtie the perp only for some passerby to see me and then call the cops on me...

I get that most of these complaints can and will be hand waived with "it's more immersive" or "it's more realistic" but I don't necessarily play games for realism, as is these points are just not fun to me and are making playing the game a real slog...
I want to and will likely continue playing because there is a lot to like but, puhhh... It's not as easy and enjoyable to quickly pick up for 20 min as it could be...

Pastebutty

Oct 29, 2017
There's a fast travel option when you set up a camp when you're out and about. You might have to unlock it, I can't remember but it's there.

I loved it but can totally see why people are put off by the points you make.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
im not sure how you're finding nights that dark. It's definitely not meant to be that dark normally.

there is fast travel after you go hunting with Hosea from your portable camp, to any major location you visited.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'll have to check out the fast travel from mobile camps, hadn't noticed that before.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to replay this - not necessarily for the story, but to soak in the world again. But I'm waiting for a remaster/next gen port. Please.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Have you by any chance turned off the "HDR"? I remember on Xbox when you turned it off everything became dark as shit at night

Also 🐐

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019

I am now part way through Chapter 2 and mostly enjoying the story and characters, however the gameplay is starting to wear on me.

In no particular order
  • The game is super dark at night. If a gun fight happens past dusk I might as well be playing blindfolded I see jack shit.
  • The lack of fast travel is a chore... The game is gorgeous and I enjoy looking at the countryside as much as the next person, however it does get old after a while. Sure I can set my horse on autopilot to go half way across the map, but even that will take 5+ minutes in which I will undoubtedly be distracted by other things in my surrounding and if I happen to leave the room my character will inevitably come across some highway bandits who kill me before I come back to the controller...
  • Walking is laboriously slow... Running isn't fast to begin with, but once we cannot run it's like wading in molasses to walk through camp or a cabin...
  • looting houses, cabinets and corpses is also tediously slow. paired with the slow walking speed I loath having to to clear a house for all the potential loot therein.
  • Heaven forbid if you loose your horse. I was doing some quest that put me on a train and I just stayed on the train to travel a little further and then jumped off it in the middle of nowhere... little did I know that the horse couldn't be summoned, so I had a long hike to get somewhere useful again...
  • The law is also very unforgiving. I stop an NPC from being kidnapped and hogtie the perp only for some passerby to see me and then call the cops on me...

I get that most of these complaints can and will be hand waived with "it's more immersive" or "it's more realistic" but I don't necessarily play games for realism, as is these points are just not fun to me and are making playing the game a real slog...
I want to and will likely continue playing because there is a lot to like but, puhhh... It's not as easy and enjoyable to quickly pick up for 20 min as it could be...

You're right on with the bolded. But I'd argue that not everything has to be. I love the immersiveness of a lot of the decisions they made.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
This came out just after The Witcher 3 and I was expecting it to take decades to beat TW3's story telling in an open world. It's also a R* game and typically I like them fat less than the majority of people seem to, and one reason for that is their godawful controls which at release was the number one complaint for RDR2.

So imagine my surprise when I played it and found it to surpass TW3 in terms of a story focussed open world title. The controls also felt fine and I really appreciated how much more in-depth the combat and mechanics were compared to RDR1.

The game is brilliant. I also strongly disagree with the complaints aimed at the linear story missions by a lot of people. That's what makes the whole thing work! You have the freedom of an open world and the structure of a linear shooter campaign.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
The HDR was fake and bad when it first came out, and it's now better but still not great.

Come on Rockstar, give us a 60 fps port with better upscaling for PS5 PLEASE!

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure to set your HDR right. The peak brightness will need to be high as shit and the paper white up a bit too.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
im not sure how you're finding nights that dark. It's definitely not meant to be that dark normally.

there is fast travel after you go hunting with Hosea from your portable camp, to any major location you visited.

Yep, there's also train stations and/or hireable stage coaches from any of the major towns/cities for fast travel as well.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The only issue I had with "realism" was occasionally getting flung from my horse because I hit a rock or ledge or something the wrong way. That never stopped being annoying when it happened.

Everything else I got used to - the weighty and loose feel of the movement, the gunplay, all of it. And it all felt just fine for me after a few hours.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I completely understand everyone's complaints about the game and that they'd get in the way of enjoyment. I definitely find myself wishing looting could be optionally sped up or fast travel was easier or walking in the camp was faster or the controls were tighter etc etc... but there is just something about this game. The world is just on another level entirely and every moment spending time in it is rewarding for me. In 4K HDR it's just magic. It overcomes all its foibles for me. It's like a celebration of the natural world which is, at least to some degree, lost.
I'll have to check out the fast travel from mobile camps, hadn't noticed that before.
I believe it's a camp upgrade that you have to buy from the ledger (when you unlock that)

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I believe it's a camp upgrade that you have to buy from the ledger (when you unlock that)

No, that's a different method of fast travel, much more cumbersome. You just need to set up a portable camp from your radial menu, and you can fast travel any previously visited major location, just like in RDR 1.

This was added late 2019 in a patch, so maybe you haven't played it since.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
No, that's a different method of fast travel, much more cumbersome. You just need to set up a portable camp from your radial menu, and you can fast travel any previously visited major location, just like in RDR 1.

This was added late 2019 in a patch, so maybe you haven't played it since.
Amazing, I had no idea. Will check that out today

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
started a new playthrough on PC and the experience is dramatically better when it comes to the controls. It still a bit sluggish but on consoles it was pretty much like PS1 era tank controls. I would wait if they update the game to run at 60 FPS on current gen consoles.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
It's an incredible flawed masterpiece. Gameplay and some design decisions aren't that great, and being too long makes it a bit tiring but the world, the writing and characters, the whole story and cinematography... it's all quite an achievement.

I would love a remaster or upgrade patch to play it all over again.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It's an incredible flawed masterpiece. Gameplay and some design decisions aren't that great, and being too long makes it a bit tiring but the world, the writing and characters, the whole story and cinematography... it's all quite an achievement.
Yeah it's crazy how they managed to make me care about Arthur. I really hated him in the beginning. Just thought he was a brain dead antagonist. But he grows on you. He definitely overshadows John if you play RDR1 and RDR2 back to back. But to be fair, RDR2 was like 3x longer.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado

In no particular order

Can't say I disagree with you OP, however what I had to do in order to get through this game was really immerse myself in the game and essentially role play. The games so much more enjoyable imo once you kind of submit to how it wants you to play. Obviously not for everyone but I think with it's attention to detail and it's ability to immerse the player in a old western setting, the games gone unmatched in that regard since.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The game is super dark at night. If a gun fight happens past dusk I might as well be playing blindfolded I see jack shit.
Think there's something wrong with your HDR, this is not at all how it is for me currently playing it on a CX. If anything it has that unrealistically (but more playably) illuminated night lighting a lot of open world games do.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
That's not realistic. No one ever ran in a camp in cowboy days. Suck it up and live the life god intended in the 1800's.

i think the forced walk is due to the camp interactions, which i think a lot of people would miss if they were allowed to just run in and out. The slow walk makes it easier to notice characters being up to something interesting and also if you get called or someone steps up to you you can easily notice it.

maybe im talking shit but thats just the impression i got from spending shit tons of time just dicking around in the camps

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've spent maybe 300 hours between the PS4 and PC version. I thoroughly love this game and how it handles most things. It's just really well done in almost every way that even after all the story content is complete it's just nice to roam around and play.

That said I think mission wise the game is weakest. I love the story and characters, but I definitely think the game deserves all its criticisms for how rigid missions can be with what you can and can't do and even more so for the fact that mission variety is quite thin. Every major event results in an absolute blood bath of a sequence that often clashes and undermines the well done story. It's a shame they weren't able to provide more variety and not rely on such massive body counts for everything. Also fuck the slow walk in camp, that shit was horrible, but otherwise I really like how the game controls and handles for the most part. It's a big slow compared to other games, but I think it works and fits.

I also hate online and really hate that they didn't invest in creating proper single player expansion content of some kind. Sadie and Charles and others could have been perfect for GTAIV style DLC expansions. I'll be very happy if the RDR remake rumors are true at least.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
My biggest issue with this game is the shooting mechanics (atleast on console)
The free aim is so bad. You are basically being forced to use the auto aim, which comes down to just pressing 2 buttons *aim lock* *shoot* *aim lock* *shoot*

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
My biggest issue with this game is the shooting mechanics (atleast on console)
The free aim is so bad. You are basically being forced to use the auto aim, which comes down to jsut pressing 2 buttons *aim lock* *shoot* *aim lock* *shoot*

whats funny is that the actual gunplay is legit good. guns feel and sound good, enemy reactions are awesome.
on pc at 60 fps even with a gamepad i can comfortably turn aim assist off and it feels good. Sure the game still has animation priority and all that but the actual aiming feels crisp...its almost too good with a mouse, makes it so easy to just pop heads constantly.

so yeah, the game really needs 60 fps love on ps5 and xbox series

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
This came out just after The Witcher 3 and I was expecting it to take decades to beat TW3's story telling in an open world. It's also a R* game and typically I like them fat less than the majority of people seem to, and one reason for that is their godawful controls which at release was the number one complaint for RDR2.

So imagine my surprise when I played it and found it to surpass TW3 in terms of a story focussed open world title. The controls also felt fine and I really appreciated how much more in-depth the combat and mechanics were compared to RDR1.

The game is brilliant. I also strongly disagree with the complaints aimed at the linear story missions by a lot of people. That's what makes the whole thing work! You have the freedom of an open world and the structure of a linear shooter campaign.
Well red dead came out 3 years after Witcher 3 not what I would consider right after.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it, the world and environment is just stellar. Mission design was far too rigid and unimaginative I thought though and stuff like the witnesses often descended into farce - kill someone in the middle of nowhere and along comes someone who sees, they run off to tell on you so you chase them down, murder them, oh look another passer by who wants to squeal on that murder, chase them down...rinse and repeat, chaining witness murders together.

I did like being able to interact with every NPC in some fashion. Controls were a bit of a buggers muddle though, I was always accidentally shooting someone when I only meant to say hello. And then a witness would come along and....see above.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
I get used to the controls if I spend a bit of time in it. However, just recently I jumped from TLOU2 to rdr2 and it seemed like a lot was wrong.

Speaking of travelling, I've tried to buy tickets to a train, and while they sold me (and I paid for) the ticket, the screen just goes blank for a second and returns to the station with no train showing up, even after waiting for minutes. Is this a bug?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm currently downloading Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC. I know we have a couple of RDR Reddits, but I thought this place might be the most knowledgeable in recommending the best settings based on my specs: https://abload.de/img/myrigl7jnh.png

Naturally I want the best possible visuals while still maintaining a steady 60 fps framerate, but I would also like to know which settings are essential and which ones can be set to either medium or lower (or off) for being unnecessary.

I would also like to know the best way to implement HDR. I know the in-game HDR calibration is whack and there seems to be a lot of contention over how to get a proper HDR image without looking too washed out/grey.

Adding to that, I also would like to know about any recommended shaders/shader presets. I've got RTGI, but I'd rather try out some recommended presets then messing around with it myself.

Lastly are the mods. I've already downloaded a bunch of the highest-rated from Nexus, just wondering if there are any particular standouts I should include. There also seem to be more than a couple of mod managers, so I'd also like to know which one I should be using.