• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
This and sunset overdrive to me are A+ releases that came out on Xbox one when it was a reviled console and neither was ever given a chance by the larger community.

I think if either had been post Phil coming on board they'd be better regarded.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
So this game was greenlit while Microsoft was under the direction of Don Matrick, who saw that the future of video game consoles would be that they would serve a larger purpose than just being video game consoles. DRM aside he knew that consoles would eventually prove to be entertainment spaces. As such, a bunch of games with tv integration were greenlit. Quantum Break being one of them after the success of Alan Wake, which already was structured like a tv show. Quantum Break was the biggest proof of concept for that direction, direction that was cut short after backlash received from the DRM policies proposed before Don eventually left microsoft.
Hmm...

I remember the TVTVTV thing from Xbox One in the early times of the console, but I always likened the Quantum Break show more closely with Remedy. Like Max Payne had a graphic novel motif, Alan Wake did novels, and Quantum Break moved to TV shows.

You are totally right about "Alan Wake being structured like a TV show" already, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Always nice to see a positive Quantum Break thread.

As others have mentioned it has possibly the best, and definitely my favourite, integration of time travel mechanics in its story.

The text, gameplay, environmental and video storytelling all add up to make something very memorable.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I figured the blur was engine related.

I forget, do the junctures change much of the game? I was going to check it the other side.

They do change some fairly major stuff, yeah, like...

the first junction determines whether you meet and team up with Amy or Nick

and a later one...

determines who Paul decides is a traitor between Hatch and Amaral

I thought the show segments were fine. I didn't hate them, but they weren't something I'd say I loved either. What I did love though, was like... role-playing the choices you make before the episodes during further playthroughs.
I'd be like... "Okay, now Paul's not fucking around this time and he's just in some crazed super-determined frame of mind."

I also agree with your spoiler. That's something I've wished would come about in some form or another for years.

Ha, yeah. The last junction I was like, "ok, this isn't what I want to do... but this is totally what Paul would do.

Yeah... there's so much they could do with that concept :( One day, maybe... I know Remedy are very busy working with Epic right now, but I hope one day they can loop back around to MS and QB.

Hmm...

I remember the TVTVTV thing from Xbox One in the early times of the console, but I always likened the Quantum Break show more closely with Remedy. Like Max Payne had a graphic novel motif, Alan Wake did novels, and Quantum Break moved to TV shows.

You are totally right about "Alan Wake being structured like a TV show" already, though.

Yeah, I always imagined this as more Remedy-driven, too. Alan Wake messed around with live action stuff too, with the Bright Falls episodes, and Control has a lot of live action stuff overlayed over the game. I think they just really like blending media.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Hell yes. Even the combat is significantly better. The only real issue, IMO, is some pacing issues. Lots of walking and talking and platforming sections that don't hit as well as the amazing combat sections.

Yeah I found the story in Control to be absolute nonsense. It didn't help that so many of the lore expanding notes around the game were filled with REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED which just made them annoying to read.

The notes in Quantum Break are mostly worth reading and have benefit, but you could also largely ignore them and the story is still told well.
Sounds like a must play to be honest. I do feel like I need to push myself through Control, it's just such a slog. Endless rooms of faceless goons and little in the way of variation.

OP
OP
Pankratous

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a must play to be honest. I do feel like I need to push myself through Control, it's just such a slog. Endless rooms of faceless goons and little in the way of variation.

That was another one of my issues with Control, bland environments too. Quantum Break isn't exactly a globe trotter with different biomes, but you get city areas, offices, labs, tunnels, warehouses, a university and more areas like that, all of which look good and are varied.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Some people seem to like it but I found Quantum Break more restrictive offensively and defensively, poorly paced and even less variety in enemies. I think there are like 4 enemy types in the entire game, not including bosses. It is more condensed though, around 10 hours with a more sensible story. At least it will be over quick if you decide to try it.

With the talk of choices, they ultimately don't really matter though that kind of ties in with the main story, intentional or not, I'm not sure.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
My feeling on the show stuff is that it was mostly harmless. I wish they were a little shorter but I thought they paid off in the final act pretty well - I think it was a novel concept for a game. I think the mixed media was mostly better in Control and how that game handled that.

I have other issues with Control (a little too long, and while I love the setting and story the environment stayed far too samey throughout with a few big exceptions here and there for big set pieces).

Of the two I think that Control has a better setting and tone but I think that QB has the better action and story overall. I'd love a Series X update to get it to 4K and a locked 60.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
"Not for PC" is what I'm getting what they're saying.

Which reminds me how weird it is to think this came out before Play Anywhere was a thing. If you preordered the game on Xbox One, they just sent you a code for the Win10 version through Xbox messages since they didn't have that stuff up and running yet.

Gus

Oct 25, 2017
Cuiabá, Brazil
I finished it twice! Loved the plot and gameplay.

I still prefer Control because of all the Weird Stuff but would love to see another Remedy game with sci-fi elements. The way they visually represented time distortions is jaw dropping

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of my favourite remedy games, I also enjoyed it more then control. The time powers are amazing, I especially like going through a level with soldiers stuck in time in midair or particles and bullet trails stuck.

Really my only issue with it was there was not enough combat overall. I always wanted some kind of horde like mode so I could play with the time powers more.

It also really shows off the amazing lighting engine as you move through an area and time is reversing or speeding past in real time.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Quantum Break is great and was beat up on a little too much by the gaming press and negative public opinion of Xbox at the time. It certainly has faults but it's a fun ride.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It's only sin was being xbox exclusive. Would have received the same Control praise otherwise.

Kinda feel like the posts in this very thread contradict this.

The games have some basic similarities in gameplay but they're each going for something completely different in practically every other area.

I understand theorizing that plenty of people missed the game because at the time the Xbox wasn't doing so hot, but at the end of the day Quantum Break is a very standard cinematic TPS with plenty of flaws. Suggesting its reception, especially critically, would have been different had it released somewhere else is delusional.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it a bit of a mess when it launched? Frame rate and resolution?

it was a disaster on some PC systems, I had a gSync W10 PC and it would drop to 1 fps and not go above that due to some mess with gSync. I eventually 100%'d the game on my xbox one X, ran fine there although I think was locked to 30 fps (reasonable).

The game was ok, unlike OP i thought the 20 minute cut scenes cut the knees of the game and went from "let me play some more" to "WHEN WILL THIS GODDAMN CUTSCENE FUCKING END" almost every time, especially as it switched to side characters I did not give a single fuck about. I did love all the Lance Reddick stuff, especially since it was only a short while after Fringe went off the air.

I never want to play another game with multiple 20 minute cut scenes so no, I am totally fine with people not taking away anything from Quantum Break. I thought Control was a much, much better game. Still, QB was fun albeit very flawed imo.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I loved it my favorite remedy game and one of the best PC games ever made IMO in terms of the story, the script, the visuals (on PC), the wide variety of cool powers and their visual effects

unfortunately they didn't have the time/budget to complete the original ending to the game, I read about the original ending/final level in a book as below:

Originally the final mission was set at the end of time. And you would have seen entities that exist only there.

The description made it sound awesome and the already great looking time distortion effects would be off the charts for this

I'm guessing that the TV episodes were responsible for budget and time overruns and thats what forced the game to come out without planned content

such a shame also that even on xbox series x the great looking visuals are marred by dramatic framerate drops during combat and certain areas

with game pass it would be great if microsoft could pay for a fps boost for this game perhaps recompilation

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I wish this got a Series X update. The temporal upscaling looks terrible and adds, for me, an unplayable level of input lag. If they could render it at 1440p native and 60FPS I imagine it would play a million times better.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Really good game. Probably like it better than Control.

Shame it was released on a failed console + bad port PC exclusive to the Windows store for a while. We'll probably never get a sequel.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Show segments were shoehorned imo the Game was great without them.
I shall always remember that it was not a door, but something smaller.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
It's still the best Remedy game for me.
Unfortunately it released at the wrong time on the wrong console and Stores...

I really hope we'll se a next-gen sequel for it. It would be mind blowing on newer hardware and most importantly:

we need to #savebeth

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
This and sunset overdrive to me are A+ releases that came out on Xbox one when it was a reviled console and neither was ever given a chance by the larger community.

I think if either had been post Phil coming on board they'd be better regarded.
Fully agreed!
... which reminds me that I still need to finish the Sunset Overdrive DLC!

Really my only issue with it was there was not enough combat overall. I always wanted some kind of horde like mode so I could play with the time powers more.
Yeah, absolutely. The combat was great but there was too little of it.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Loved Quantum Break. Control is probably the better game but for me QB was very close to it.

I think I preferred the narrative elements in QB and it is a shame there will probably never be a continuation of it.

The combat was never quite a fully realised as in Control though, pretty much every encounter was short and also the game throws out all of the time abilities too early on and don't really expand much on them as the game went on.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
That was another one of my issues with Control, bland environments too. Quantum Break isn't exactly a globe trotter with different biomes, but you get city areas, offices, labs, tunnels, warehouses, a university and more areas like that, all of which look good and are varied.
That sounds much more up my street. Not only is the Old House extremely repetitive and visually dull, it's compounded by the fact that it is science fiction and could be anything it wants to be. But so many of the rooms are just giant concrete rectangles with more concrete pillars and stairways.

If the game was half the length I'd probably have loved it, but games nowadays seem to want to be a certain bloated size to justify their cost, rather than make the actual thing more fun.
Some people seem to like it but I found Quantum Break more restrictive offensively and defensively, poorly paced and even less variety in enemies. I think there are like 4 enemy types in the entire game, not including bosses. It is more condensed though, around 10 hours with a more sensible story. At least it will be over quick if you decide to try it.

With the talk of choices, they ultimately don't really matter though that kind of ties in with the main story, intentional or not, I'm not sure.
I'm fine with a shorter experience, especially if the game is a flawed gem. As you say if it's not for me it'll be finished quite quickly.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
If the game was half the length I'd probably have loved it, but games nowadays seem to want to be a certain bloated size to justify their cost, rather than make the actual thing more fun.

Control is like 15 hours long. Sure time goes slower when you're bored, but I wouldn't call that bloated.

There's very little in Control that would warrant "games these days huh" takes, especially when the comparison is something like Quantum Break, lmao

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Control is like 15 hours long. Sure time goes slower when you're bored, but I wouldn't call that bloated.

There's very little in Control that would warrant "games these days huh" takes, especially when the comparison is something like Quantum Break, lmao
15 hours is a huge amount of time if the game is just repetitively cycling through the same enemies and environments but increasing the number of opponents and difficulty each time. The game is kill room after kill room, over and over again. Go here and fetch this and kill 100 things and go here to fetch this and kill 200. It's extremely dull after about hour seven and doesn't need to be twice that length.

Maybe I'm yet to reach the really fun bit but there's only so many nonsensical emails I can read and grey concrete rooms I can throw rocks at people in.

It's all relative though, some people just have fifteen hours of free time with no other commitments and can spend that without even thinking. I don't.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I think some of these Xbox One exclusives actually were really nice games, each of them individually just felt like they had to shoulder too much responsibility at the time because Microsoft's first party was a mess and the Xbox One console itself was a failure. There were also large spans where no new games would release. Still, I had a great time with Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Recore, Cuphead, the Ori games, Sea of Thieves, Gears 5 and the Forza Horizon games when I finally bought a One X in 2018. I'd encourage new Xbox Series X customers to play some of these titles, too!

I really think Quantum Break in particular told one of gaming's more interesting time travel stories. I liked the combat and found the TV episodes an interesting development choice.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017

I do think control is bloated, just not excessively. It's not on the same planet of bloat as Assassin's Creed. But it has multiple extraneous elements that exist to pad out the runtime and to satisfy expectations of what games are "supposed" to have. Basically the crafting and random drop / item resource elements + randomly generated side missions are all in this category.

The unnecessary complexity isn't huge and the amount of time the average person wastes is probably only maybe 1.5-2 hours in a 12-13 hour experience, so like I said, it's not egregious, but it would only have served to further improve and focus the game to axe that stuff. I have to think these systems were at least partially in response to critiques of Quantum Break as being far too content-light.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
First game that I played after upgrading to a GTX 1070 in 2016 - I thoroughly enjoyed it, more so than Control.

EDIT: Oh and I'm probably one of the few who enjoyed the live action episodes they had between acts. 😅

Last edited:

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I enjoyed pretty much everything about QB, except the final boss which was really annoying.
The environments, the powers (especially later in the game), the combat, and of course the whole time travel intrigue and how it was presented.

The TV segments could have been better in terms of production values imo, but they weren't terrible either, far from it.

I can't really compare to Control since I have only played a few hours and I wasn't hooked, to say the least.
That said I'll probably give it another try when I have the chance.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Great game and sad it looks abandoned.

Only thing I remember disliking was the final boss.

I was stuck on the final boss for so long I actually ended up restarting the game in hopes my skills would go up so I could deck him.
Funny enough it worked I full upgraded my powers and figured out how to beat the final boss relatively easily.

Truly a gem of the last generation that I think was pretty harshly received cuz at that time the XB1 was basically the pariah of gaming.
Worse still even the PC version was basically impossible to "max out" with current gaming hardware.
My GTX970 x 2500K struggled to get the game to 1080p60 stable.

Microsoft needs to throw another few million at Remedy to make a sequel.
We left the game on a cliffhanger and I liked most of the characters so really wouldnt mind.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I thought QB was an aggressively mediocre game, and it was still much better than Control.

With thay said, the time traveling was really well thought of, and I'm actually curious as to where the story would lead. I mean, beyond the obvious.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked this game when it game out. Thinking I am do for a replay as it has been 5+ years. Would also love a Series X/S upgrade. Enjoy OP.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I was stuck on the final boss for so long I actually ended up restarting the game in hopes my skills would go up so I could deck him.
Funny enough it worked I full upgraded my powers and figured out how to beat the final boss relatively easily.
Yeah, I had the hardest time with the last boss my first playthrough.
I started on hard difficulty though, and after beating my head my head against the wall, I was able to beat it on my first try after turning aim-assist back on, lol.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017

Shame it was released on a failed console + bad port PC exclusive to the Windows store for a while. We'll probably never get a sequel.

Storywise is miles above of Control, i find the characters in QB stronger too.

What Control has it's the gameplay that's really lacking in QB, the gunplay feels weak and the powers feel weak too.

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
Thanks for this thread OP, I realized I dropped this and never went back to it, so I reinstalled the game just now and will get back to it tonight.
I had mixed feelings regarding the TV episodes, they were fun but a bit too long for my taste, but maybe that was also because it was my first playthrough and just wanted to get back into the action ASAP. Will try a more relaxed approach this time, I really liked the combat and powers and story.

Edit: just wished this game would get DLSS, because the upscaling is so blurry, and without it it's still a pretty heavy game at 1440p and higher.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm...

I mean it was a match made in heaven type of situation.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Thanks for this thread OP, I realized I dropped this and never went back to it, so I reinstalled the game just now and will get back to it tonight.
I had mixed feelings regarding the TV episodes, they were fun but a bit too long for my taste, but maybe that was also because it was my first playthrough and just wanted to get back into the action ASAP. Will try a more relaxed approach this time, I really liked the combat and powers and story.

Edit: just wished this game would get DLSS, because the upscaling is so blurry, and without it it's still a pretty heavy game at 1440p and higher.

Yeah upscaling crushes the IQ.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020

Same. Played through QB three times while couldn't play through Control even once. I hated it, in fact.

Such a shame that we will never see a QB sequel.