• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Hello! So this has been on my backlog since I got a Series X (day one) and only just got round to it. It's something that looked good to me but I never had an Xbox One to play it.

I don't think it has any form of upgrade on Series X so I guess I played it on Xbox One settings. The visuals were mostly very good for an Xbox One game, though the motion blur at times was super bad.

I thought this game was significantly better than Control. The story is told in a much better way, and despite being a story about Time (generally always confusing), the main beats are told well, can be followed, and it is entertaining from start to finish.

The game has TV episodes that occur after each act (except the last one) and honestly I was fucking hooked watching these. I actually found them very entertaining and a great way of expanding the story and bringing the characters to life, especially side characters. Such a cool idea that I kind of wish more games would do, but obviously it's kind of prohibitively expensive. I'm not even sure how Remedy pulled it off, honestly. I guess there's also the fact that I am likely in the minority when it comes to liking this aspect of the game.

I found all of the characters to be interesting and likable. Nobody really stood out as grating.

Other than that I don't wanna get too much into the story in case someone uses this thread as a basis to learn about the game and doesn't want spoilers.

The powers in the game were more fun to me than those offered in Control, and I cannot emphasize enough how much I enjoyed using real guns over "The Service Weapon" in Control.

I'd counter that positive by admitting that there isn't a whole lot of variety in the guns.

It's a pretty linear game which I honestly needed after so much open world stuff I've been playing recently.

What was the general reception of this game? Did anyone else like it?

Always felt a bit buried under general Xbox One hatred at the time to me. It would be cool to see it get upgraded for Series X and released for PS5 with renewed marketing.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Quantum Break, and I think it's a great Remedy game. I liked Control more, but man, I would give a limb for a sequel to Quantum Break.

You can keep the TV episodes though. I really don't like those (although they do get better as the "season" progress forward)

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is a great game and I also played it after Control, maxed on PC. Tech still impressed me. Remedy are one of my fave devs.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
One of the few sp games i played multiple times.
Great game. Just released on the wrong console and the wrong time. Otherwise it would have got more recognition.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really enjoyed Quantum Break. I'm a sucker for time travel stories, and Remedy told a great one. Really wish they were able to continue the story, but that ship has sailed it seems.
Always felt a bit buried under general Xbox One hatred at the time to me. It would be cool to see it get upgraded for Series X and released for PS5 with renewed marketing.
Unlike Alan Wake, Microsoft actually owns the IP for Quantum Break.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I remember really enjoying the TV show segments and the gameplay, but the PC port had a ton of technical issues which ruined the experience for me. No idea if it was ever fixed.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I used Game Pass on my new Series X to see what all the (negative) fuss was about and had an okay time. I can see why it got shit on a bit considering the performance issues. I think I would've liked it a bit more if I had played it in 2014, but considering where cinematic games are now it sure didn't feel like anything special.

The narrative wasn't gripping enough for me to have to sit through a low-budget sci-fi show.

Control was better in every way as far as I'm concerned, it took a lot more risks in terms of level design, lore and general weirdness so it actually feels like something special.

Quantum Break definitely felt like a product of its time.

Feb 5, 2020
Quantum Break is definitely one of my Remedy faves (though I really, really like Control as well).
Kind of a bummer alot of people seem to dislike this game, I thought its time travel story was really gripping.

iconoclast

Dec 15, 2017
I didn't really care for the story (it was alright, like some second rate Fox TV series or something), but I thought the gameplay was a LOT better than Alan Wake or Max Payne, even if the setting, characters, story etc aren't as interesting. Haven't played Control yet, but QB is very underrated.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
It did actually get a graphical upgrade with the One X release.

Great game sadly overlooked by many due to hubris around Xbox at the time. Would love a sequel.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it more than control too. I finished it twice and i might replay it again on series x

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
This game was absolutely fantastic. Played through it last year and loved every minute of it. Visuals and everything held up very well and story was really enjoyable.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
It's only sin was being xbox exclusive. Would have received the same Control praise otherwise. I loved Quantum Break. I'm sad it was a failure :(

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I almost never replay games but I replayed this and got all the achievements. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Adamastor

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I bought the Xbox for this game and then it was delayed for a year… but I enjoyed it. I'd like a sequel. Not sure if it's a spoiler or not, but I like it when games, or any media really, do time travel well.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I adore Quantum Break. Replayed it last year for the third time, and I'm still sad we'll likely never get a sequel or a sidequel with Beth in those years after she got sent back.

I also quite liked the show segments, personally. Felt very Remedy to me, and I liked being able to see the Monarch side of things in between your actions as Jack (and had some decent branching stuff depending on your in-game actions).

Also, the game did get a One X enhancement, so you'll be playing that version on a Series X. IIRC, it was done by a single person at MS, but it did have some graphical issues. And the blur is because of the temporal reconstruction solution Remedy used.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
It's a good game but control is much better. I loved control so much I platinumed it twice on my PS4 and then on PS5.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the res is significantly higher res on series (or was that the x1x that got that patch?).

Definitely loved the story and combat. Great game

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
One of my top 10 games last generation, it was so overlooked because of the general hate towards Xbox everywhere... it was a sin if you viewed an Xbox game positively at the time.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If the gunplay were more akin to Max Payne and the TV show component was just a series of short ten minute episodes rather than a full season's worth of TV, I'd have loved it.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I need to play it.

I enjoyed Control for about six hours and have hit a wall because I'm just finding the story and setting too nonsensical. The initial intrigue and mystery really engaged me but there's only so many kill rooms I can go into and Fincher-esque mumbo jumbo emails I can read before I lose my patience.

Does QB have a better story?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I need to play it.

I enjoyed Control for about six hours and have hit a wall because I'm just finding the story and setting too nonsensical. The initial intrigue and mystery really engaged me but there's only so many kill rooms I can go into and Fincher-esque mumbo jumbo emails I can read before I lose my patience.

Hell yes. Even the combat is significantly better. The only real issue, IMO, is some pacing issues. Lots of walking and talking and platforming sections that don't hit as well as the amazing combat sections.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Low key Remedy's best game. Super underappreciated gem. Probably the best depiction of a time machine in all of fiction imo.

Amazing deep story, and fast exciting combat.

I really hope for a sequel. It deserves one.

Last edited:

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I adore Quantum Break. Replayed it last year for the third time, and I'm still sad we'll likely never get a sequel or a sidequel with Beth in those years after she got sent back.

I also quite liked the show segments, personally. Felt very Remedy to me, and I liked being able to see the Monarch side of things in between your actions as Jack (and had some decent branching stuff depending on your in-game actions).

Also, the game did get a One X enhancement, so you'll be playing that version on a Series X. IIRC, it was done by a single person at MS, but it did have some graphical issues. And the blur is because of the temporal reconstruction solution Remedy used.

I figured the blur was engine related.

I forget, do the junctures change much of the game? I was going to check it the other side.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this game was significantly better than Control. The story is told in a much better way, and despite being a story about Time (generally always confusing), the main beats are told well, can be followed, and it is entertaining from start to finish.
I strenuously agree (weird, never thought I'd make a Few Good Men reference. at least not that one).

I thought the story was just so much more interesting, and I liked how it was told better, too.
I'm in this club.

I thought the show segments were fine. I didn't hate them, but they weren't something I'd say I loved either. What I did love though, was like... role-playing the choices you make before the episodes during further playthroughs.
I'd be like... "Okay, now Paul's not fucking around this time and he's just in some crazed super-determined frame of mind."

I also agree with your spoiler. That's something I've wished would come about in some form or another for years.

Low key Remedy's best game. Super underappreciated gem. Probably the best depiction of a time machine in all of fiction imo.

Amazing deep story, and fast excited combat.

I really hope for a sequel. It deserves one.
I agree with all of this post. All of it.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I disliked it at first but eventually loved it. Beautiful at the time, even on the underpowered base Xbox One. I'd love Microsoft to bankroll a sequel.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
after Control I went back and played the Remedy games I skipped after MP 1 & 2 and QB was one of them
I still prefer Control but QB is no slouch and has some great ideas, the main narrative is way more engaging and the time travel story is honestly amazing
the TV episodes didn't do a whole lot for me and the documents are filled with way to many boring newspaper clippings and such

May 25, 2019
London
I only got around to playing this game last winter due to Game Pass and like you, absolutely loved it. It does benefit from Auto-HDR on the Series X I believe.

I thought the combat was the worst part of the game and pretty half baked - it just didn't feel like there was enough freedom to really map out my character's abilities the way I wanted to, which is something they definitely improved upon with Control. But the story is really, really good and I loved how they plant enough stuff early on to deliver on later.

I hope they find someway to incorporate this into the wider Alan Wake universe, especially because of all those mentions/references in the University campus early on.

OP
OP
Pankratous

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I need to play it.

Yeah I found the story in Control to be absolute nonsense. It didn't help that so many of the lore expanding notes around the game were filled with REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED which just made them annoying to read.

The notes in Quantum Break are mostly worth reading and have benefit, but you could also largely ignore them and the story is still told well.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I disliked it at first but eventually loved it. Beautiful at the time, even on the underpowered base Xbox One. I'd love Microsoft to bankroll a sequel.

This - even if it isn't remedy. The core gameplay loop is there, just need a team that can write a sequel and build upon that solid foundation.

But cut remedy the check and have them do it anyway

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The game has TV episodes that occur after each act (except the last one) and honestly I was fucking hooked watching these. I actually found them very entertaining and a great way of expanding the story and bringing the characters to life, especially side characters. Such a cool idea that I kind of wish more games would do, but obviously it's kind of prohibitively expensive. I'm not even sure how Remedy pulled it off, honestly.
So this game was greenlit while Microsoft was under the direction of Don Matrick, who saw that the future of video game consoles would be that they would serve a larger purpose than just being video game consoles. DRM aside he knew that consoles would eventually prove to be entertainment spaces. As such, a bunch of games with tv integration were greenlit. Quantum Break being one of them after the success of Alan Wake, which already was structured like a tv show. Quantum Break was the biggest proof of concept for that direction, direction that was cut short after backlash received from the DRM policies proposed before Don eventually left microsoft.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Great story and characters, second only to Alan Wake.

The weak point is the gameplay.

Stooge

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So this game was greenlit while Microsoft was under the direction of Don Matrick, who saw that the future of video game consoles would be that they would serve a larger purpose than just being video game consoles. DRM

Yeah but I think this game took a lot of blame for matrick when remedy for years has been playing around with mixed media storytelling