• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
After playing through Quake 1 for the first time recently and discovering one of my new favorite games of all time I decided to give it's sequel a go and oh my god I've not been this disappointed in a sequel in a loooong damn time. I'll preface this before I continue and say that I didn't play the multiplayer, which I imagine is indeed quite good from what I've heard over the years and I'm only really talking about the campaign here. (I also didn't play the mission packs because...well I didn't enjoy the main game so I can't imagine they'd change my mind)

First thing I gotta say is that the tone of Quake 1's very unique dark gothic lovecraftian sci-fi is sorely missed. I honestly have no problem with their shift to hard sci-fi and the stuff with the Strogg but it just lacks the same kind of almost juvenile charm that the first game had. It got too serious. As such, the art direction of the game took kind of a blow. Every area and (almost every) enemy look exactly the same. It's the same drab Strogg bases over and over again filled with big angry bald cyborg dudes.

Speaking of enemies, their AI is some of the most brain dead I've ever encountered. So many of them will just run or slowly lumber towards you and that's it. Nothing in the way of variety either, there's like 2 different flying enemies that are functionally the same beyond probably a difference of HP and these weird frog like cyborgs that do way to much damage with their fucked up yoshi tongues. Every other enemy is just a humanoid cyborg that's obsessed with cheap hitscan attacks. Things like Shamblers and Death Knights in Quake 1 really spiced combat up and often dealing with multiple different enemy types was always a fun challenge. Not to much different that a puzzle honestly, a big dangerous puzzle.

Going back to the the levels and stuff, they are really overly complex and long. I think I spent more time in just one level than any in Quake 1, just by getting lost amungst the endless boring steel walls. No major land marks or distinct architecture beyond some computer walls or sci-fi torture devices. I can honestly say that I've can hardly remember any of the levels out side the first and last two. Quake 1 had this problem sometimes too admittedly but they at least made an effort to making distinct areas and lay outs from the reused textures.

One thing I do enjoy about the game is the music. It's pretty good. However, it's incredibly repetitive since there is like a total of like five tracks and the kinda all sound the same and bleed into one another.

There are other things I could complain about like the how boring the combat encounters and general gameplay loop is or how most of the weapons are painfully slow and lack both damage, or general movement not feeling nearly as fast and responsive as the first game. But at the end of the day it really doesn't matter. Quake 2 is a game not made for me. I can only hope one day we'll get a real successor to Quake 1's narrative, tone, and gameplay.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Quake 2 and the series' overall abandonment of Quake 1's aesthetic and atmosphere is always gonna be a huge bummer for me.

I don't think Quake 2 is outright terrible or anything, but as a follow up to one of the greatest FPS of all time it feels so dull and lifeless and I couldn't tell you a single thing that happens in it despite replaying it a year or so ago. Even the novelty of the interconnected levels was more impressively done prior in games like Strife and Hexen so that doesn't do much for me either.

Dunno if you played the mission packs or any mods for Quake 1 but I'd highly recommend Scourge of Armagon as well as the Arcane Dimensions mod if you haven't got around to them. It's not the same as having a true successor to Quake 1, but it's the closest thing we've got.

OP
OP
Nazo

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if you played the mission packs or any mods for Quake 1 but I'd highly recommend Scourge of Armagon as well as the Arcane Dimensions mod if you haven't got around to them. It's not the same as having a true successor to Quake 1, but it's the closest thing we've got.
Oh don't worry, I did. Loved both of the mission packs for Quake 1 and I've played both Arcane Dimensions and Dimension of the Past. Great stuff. I'm probably going to check out even more as time goes on. Might even try my hand at map making at some point too.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I like Quake 2 much more aside from the community created content for Quake 1. Been playing the RTX one. Quake 3 was actually the point where it felt like something entirely different for me.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Quake 2 RTX- it's just the first three levels right? Because it dumped me to the main menu when I finished them.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I wound up enjoying Quake 2 when i recently played it for the first time but it wasnt until I got to the mines area. The first few levels are a bit of a slog with their constant back and forth between a hub stage - the prison in particular is really bad about it. It doesnt help in the early game you have an arsenal of really shitty guns and the shotgun, so anytime i ran out of shotgun ammo i was having infinitely less fun.

Once the game gets a bit more linear in terms of progression (more map to map less back and forth) and you fill out the arsenal with all of the guns that dont suck (i still cant get over how bad the default blaster feels) the game was a lot more fun for me. Not as good as Quake 1 but a rock solid shooter nonetheless

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Speaking of Quake 2 RTX- it's just the first three levels right? Because it dumped me to the main menu when I finished them.

If you own the full game, install that first. *Then* install the RTX patch, either directly downloaded from Nvidia or through Steam.

Downloading and installing "Quake 2 RTX" via Steam by itself only installs the game's original demo/shareware version, which has always been those three levels and nothing more.

OP
OP
Nazo

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't necessarily think Quake 2 is a terrible per say but I think I might have enjoyed it more if it wan't called Quake.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
If you own the full game, install that first. *Then* install the RTX patch, either directly downloaded from Nvidia or through Steam.

Downloading and installing "Quake 2 RTX" via Steam by itself only installs the game's original demo/shareware version, which has always been those three levels and nothing more.

Ah, I just assumed that the Quake 2 RTX would just unlock everything since I own Quake 2 on Steam. Didn't realize Quake 2 had a separate patch. Thanks!

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ah, I just assumed that the Quake 2 RTX would just unlock everything since I own Quake 2 on Steam. Didn't realize Quake 2 had a separate patch. Thanks!

Yeah, when you run the RTX version for the first time, it asks whether you already have the game installed or not. (I'm away from my PC so I don't remember if it auto-locates those files for you.)

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First thing I gotta say is that the tone of Quake 1's very unique dark gothic lovecraftian sci-fi is sorely missed. I honestly have no problem with their shift to hard sci-fi and the stuff with the Strogg but it just lacks the same kind of almost juvenile charm that the first game had. It got too serious. As such, the art direction of the game took kind of a blow. Every area and (almost every) enemy look exactly the same. It's the same drab Strogg bases over and over again filled with big angry bald cyborg dudes.
Quake 2 was a different IP at first, it wasn't even meant to be a Quake game

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
When I think of Quake II, it's for the deathmatches and the soundtrack. Never even finished the campaign back in the day.