• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and both mission packs just moments ago and I've had an absolute blast! The only part of the game I can say I didn't enjoy was episode 4 in the main game, the final boss of the second mission pack and a few enemy types. Weapons, levels, and music all felt great. The dark gothic/sci-fi with a dash of cosmic horror aesthetic is great and makes the game feel very different form almost anything I've ever played, especially for an FPS. In a lot of ways the game really feels like a spiritual successor to Doom and I love it. I had watched some videos before playing about the games early development and seeing things like the dragon implemented in the mission packs and the cool ass thor hammer was awesome. It's obviously kind of rushed and rough around the edges here and there but it's a spectacularly charming game and I'm super glad I played it.

Also, Feinds, Vores, and Spawns can suck my nuts.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Shamblers are still one of my most fav enemy characters ever. Hearing their roar and crapping my pants haha, such a great game. I wish the series continued along in the same way. We already have enough space marine games. :(

The game had a really awesome atmosphere, like BioShock it really adds such another wonderful element to the experience.

Playing LAN multiplayer with my little brother and bots on custom maps. Even having fun with the N64 and Saturn versions. Very memorable time in gaming for me

53IblH5.gif

OP
OP
Nazo

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the Shamblers. They remind me a lot of Hell Barons in Doom but far more dangerous. My favorite enemy might be the floating swords in the second map pack. Mostly because when I first saw them I though it was a cool new weapon but it started swinging at me lol. It was the absolute last thing I expected to fight.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Realistically: could we see Quake 1-2-3 on the Switch?

I have loved all of the Doom Switch versions (even more now that Doom 1 and 2 are at 60 fps with correct 4:3)

I want the same thing with Quake...what are the odds?

OP
OP
Nazo

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically: could we see Quake 1-2-3 on the Switch?

I have loved all of the Doom Switch versions (even more now that Doom 1 and 2 are at 60 fps with correct 4:3)

I want the same thing with Quake...what are the odds?
I hope so, playing Quake 1 with Quakespasm really makes the game look and feel great so I don't see why not.

I'm hoping for a Quake 1 remake like Doom 2016. Would lose my mind at a post credit teaser at the end of Doom: Eternal.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of the greatest (and most influential games) of the 90s if not ever.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hell yeah. I was pretty young when it released, but I loved the seemingly 'randomness' to the level structure and enemy types. I wish the later games latched on to the idea of multiverse jumping rather than double down on all the strogg stuff.

That said, all Quake is awesome. Hope we get a new one someday.

OP
OP
Nazo

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the later games latched on to the idea of multiverse jumping rather than double down on all the strogg stuff.
That's the part of Quake 2 that worries me, I'm still going to play it but the awesome grim atmosphere really jives with me and I'm not sure if the shift to hard sci-fi will kind of put me off. I'm sure it's still great and I'm looking forward to it.

Please play Arcane Dimensions.
Oh I definitely will, saw a video on it a while ago and it looks fantastic. Might check out Quake 1.5 at some point too.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Beat this game on our Sega Saturn way back and I loved it. Not sure why, but I thought the hidden comic I discovered by accident was the greatest thing ever back then lol (was that a Saturn only thing?)

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, episode 4 is pretty weak. I skip it and do the semi-official 5th episode, Dimensions of the Past, which is excellent and has the game ending on a high note.

I've been really happy to see so much Quake 1 love lately, I absolutely love the game, and still play it fairly regularly.

OP
OP
Nazo

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Hope you played with the original CD music.
I did, got some doing to get working but there was some handy guides that made it easy as hell.

Yeah, episode 4 is pretty weak. I skip it and do the semi-official 5th episode, Dimensions of the Past, which is excellent and has the game ending on a high note.

I've been really happy to see so much Quake 1 love lately, I absolutely love the game, and still play it fairly regularly.

Ooh, I'll have to check that out.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Quake is a masterpiece and the Shambler is one of the best video game monsters. Also likely the freshest.

d0SWKq1.png

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Quake 1 is still id's crowning achievement, and it's downright miraculous that it turned out so well given the lack of a workable engine or coherent game design for most of its development.

Beat this game on our Sega Saturn way back and I loved it. Not sure why, but I thought the hidden comic I discovered by accident was the greatest thing ever back then lol (was that a Saturn only thing?)
Yeah, it was a little extra the devs who did the port threw in. The comic itself was an actual fancomic (that is remarkably still online, and possibly the first example of the screenshot fancomic as a genre in general), they just did the dub.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
is it blasphemous to say that i prefers the look of pixelated textures software renderer version of quake than the filter textured OpenGL/Glide version of Quake? Framerate notwithstanding.

OP
OP
Nazo

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
is it blasphemous to say that i prefers the look of pixelated textures software renderer version of quake than the filter textured OpenGL/Glide version of Quake? Framerate notwithstanding.
There's always something to be said about that kind of aesthetic. It can really add to the atmosphere in it's own special way. Not too dissimilar to how Silent Hill 1's jankieness really lent itself to the horror.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

Actually kind of the opposite. The software textures have more detail, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm sure I've seen some comparison pics showing that open GL blurs the details out of existence, and the grungy atmosphere kind of helps the unfiltered version (Silent Hill comparison is on point).

You need to remember this was the genesis of fully 3D shooters. It's not surprising the implementation of open GL wasn't perfect. Also at the time the mod scene was out of control. This was the first game I ever played with bots, and we had a home LAN set up with a 486 (lol) vs Pentium 200. Needless to say there was quite a performance difference!

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Easily one of the greatest (and most influential games) of the 90s if not ever.

Yea, I would make that ever. It's on the same page as Pong, Pac-man and Super Mario Bros.

The first 'real 3D' fps and it blew my mind that you could rotate around objects and enemies and actually see it not facing you.
The multiplayer was the start of everything internet multiplayer basically.

A legend of a game.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Actually kind of the opposite. The software textures have more detail, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm sure I've seen some comparison pics showing that open GL blurs the details out of existence, and the grungy atmosphere kind of helps the unfiltered version (Silent Hill comparison is on point).

You need to remember this was the genesis of fully 3D shooters. It's not surprising the implementation of open GL wasn't perfect. Also at the time the mod scene was out of control. This was the first game I ever played with bots, and we had a home LAN set up with a 486 (lol) vs Pentium 200. Needless to say there was quite a performance difference!
Hm, I wasn't aware of this.
I assume the problem is solved in modern sourceports? I still have the files I ripped from disc a few years back but haven't ever played more than a couple of levels

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Quake 1 has some pretty pronounced highs and lows. The gulf in quality between Romero's and Petersen's maps are much greater than in Doom 2. To the point where I almost feel like I'm playing 2 different games.

Oct 27, 2017
Playing it at the moment (with Quakespasm) and I'm having a brilliant time. I've played through both Doom and Quake for the first time's this year and found both to be extraordinarily fun to play despite their age.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK

IIRC the classic GL version is also missing some lighting that was present in the software version. I think that with texture filtering being new and shiny, the new transparent water, and 3dfx cards massively boosting performance, no-one at the time really cared.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Quake 1 is the best Quake. I only wish they turned their attention towards towards it instead of Doom personally.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never under why they changed so heavily the setting with the sequels...
Quake 1 had a great artstyle! I remember I was so damn scared by some of the levels and monsters as a kid, but still loved playing and trying to complete the game!

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
IIRC the classic GL version is also missing some lighting that was present in the software version. I think that with texture filtering being new and shiny, the new transparent water, and 3dfx cards massively boosting performance, no-one at the time really cared.
GL Quake engine it's irritating as fuck sometimes. In Hexen 2 there are secret doors that are incredibly obvious because of it.

As for Quake, it's one of my favorite games ever. It's still the best of the series, 4 tried, and the medical station sequence as a whole is such a fever dream that's worth playing, but as a whole the series is such a product of its time. Quake 1 was probably the last FPS that treated levels as puzzles, Quake 2 was impressive technically but soul less, while Quake 3 was just MP. It's weird how mishandled.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Quake 1 had a great artstyle! I remember I was so damn scared by some of the levels and monsters as a kid, but still loved playing and trying to complete the game!

i don't think Quake 2 was necessarily developed as a sequel. one of those instances where at some point they figured "oh hey lets just make it a sequel to this other game, why not"

Oct 27, 2017
This game really needs a sequel. The world is so damn unique and interesting. Not to mention the enemies and over all level design is so damn good.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017

From what I've read, it was never developed as Quake II. They just couldn't agree on a new name for what it was and called it Quake II as they owned the license. It has some obvious gameplay connective tissue with the first game, so to them I guess it makes sense, but it's bugged me all this time too. I want more cosmic horror sci-fi shootybang, not more space marine sci-fi shootybang.