• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Test it out for yourself. If you can't tell there's a problem (you'll know, trust me) then you're good to go.

Hmm, that doesnt speak nothing good about the hardware does it? When no one can actually tell you how you should set it up/play it properly?

The problem is... it didnt work out for me with camera under or above the tv, with me being 1 meter away or 2,something meters away from camera.... it seems i cant set it up properly no matter what i try...

Nov 23, 2017
Some of the "Well I agree it sucks because I have this expensive pc vr thing instead, just use that!!!" posts in this thread are pretty condesending

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the "Well I agree it sucks because I have this expensive pc vr thing instead, just use that!!!" posts in this thread are pretty condesending
Who's doing that? The thread is about OP's experience with PSVR coming from PCVR, and some other people, including me, that own or have experience both have agreed, or otherwise shared their experiences. Nobody's said anything about "use the other thing."

Oh, you mean me specifically. What's your deal, dude? I bought the things, I've owned both for a year and tried other headsets. What are your experiences with PCVR or PSVR?

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
From playing the more motion-focused games below, I've come to notice one of the PSVR's big problems. The tracking. The PS Camera tracking, when it works, it works. However, it has accuracy issues with the controllers (especially the DS4 controller) and it has a very limited play-space, basically demanding that you set it up several feet away from you, from my experience, due to the camera's limited field of view. Oh, and if you want to do standing and sitting regularly, be prepared to re-adjust the camera fucking constantly. Compare this to other VR solutions - Vive, of course, is still the gold standard, and shits all over PSVR in terms of flexibility and tracking accuracy. Oculus requires an extra 'camera' and more setup for room-scale but is still significantly more flexible and you can be fairly close to the camera(s). And the Acer mixed reality headset I own, while it is rather limited in terms of where the accurate tracking is for the controllers (you need to actually have the controllers in the headset's camera view to fully track them), is actually remarkably functional in terms of being able to do room-scale tracking without external tracking equipment for the headset itself. I honestly consider all of them to be better than the PSVR's tracking. I've already got problems working with the tracking in my house's living room, I dread having to set it up in my room where I normally play my PS4 on my second monitor.

As for the controllers... The Move Controllers work, but also lack navigation controls. I'm still remarkably baffled by why Sony didn't just put control sticks on the fucking things back when they were being used for PS3 motion controls. At least the DS4 works reasonably well for stuff that doesn't require dual motion controllers, though.

OP, Out of curiosity, would you be willing to give 2MD: VR Football a try if I sent you a PSN key?

One area that I think we kind of cracked the code with was motion tracking. On PC, the game uses the native features of the VIVE and Oculus motion tracking to establish throw velocity, release height, angle, and positioning. On PS VR, one thing we noticed was most implementations on the platform were focusing on just using the optical tracking for motion. When researching motion implementation, we found a whitepaper on the move controllers from the PS3 era that revealed the presence of many more sensors than were actually in common use (magnetometer, gravitometer, etc) and implemented them into 2MD's throwing system, which has allowed for extremely accurate tracking on par with the PC version. Camera tracking is still necessary for the spacial component, of course, so occlusion would still cause issues, but I actually prefer the feel of the PS VR implementation.

Additionally, we've actually found that, so long as you don't have to deal with other lightsources behind or around you, you can get a reasonable amount of room-scale out of the PS VR camera. We had to implement a standing-room-only chaperone system in order to pass VR quality assurance, but I've found that you can step beyond it if you need be.

The long and short of it, though it's decidedly old tech, it can be accurate if you really get into the strengths of the sensors built into it (challenging though it may be). I definitely cannot speak for other devs at this point, I can only refer to our own experience.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about the PSVR hardware is mediocre, functional at best. But it has most of the best VR games these days, so you kinda gotta just deal

this is simply untrue. It's a lower spec solution to be sure, but it's capable of an incredibly polished and immersive experience. It's not just how good your tools are that determines the quality of the end-product, at the end of the day it's how you use them :) and if your game design allows you to play to the platform's strengths, you can do some awesome things.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Put the camera up high, mine is about 2 meters and works great. I used to have in under 1m and it was really annoying to play with constant tracking issues (when the moves are in between the headset and the camera). Never had problems with the DS tracking though.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
this is simply untrue. It's a lower spec solution to be sure, but it's capable of an incredibly polished and immersive experience. It's not just how good your tools are that determines the quality of the end-product, at the end of the day it's how you use them :) and if your game design allows you to play to the platform's strengths, you can do some awesome things.
Yeah, that's what I meant haha. The games make up for the weak hardware

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tracking quality is very bad, but the games are good enough that I deal with it

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's far from the best solution out there but it gets the job done well enough for games to be fun.

Been playing Beat Saber and having a blast, with no major tracking issues.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i would be perfectly happy with next gen PSVR being the same headset but upgrading the camera and move controllers.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I've got to say I agree with literally everything the OP said. The headset itself is a great bit of kit but the camera and the motion controls really do let it down. I try not to let it get in the way of my enjoyment but lately I've completely avoided games that use the motion controllers because it's such a headache to get right. It really seems like a bit of stumble to use that ancient tech with this headset and I'm still hoping Sony releases a new solution.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing i havent experienced in over 2 years with the PSVR, Is bad tracking. Considering the price point the PSVR does what it sets out to do, The only negative you can throw at PSVR is the move controllers. And even then they still work, But badly need analogues.

I guess we just had too many positive PSVR threads lately.

Tons of people have had tracking issues with PSVR. You can't discount it as a negative just because you haven't had any issues with it yourself.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Garbage tier is such hyperbole. It's not great, but it works good. Finished Shooty Fruity and Raw Data these days and both worked flawlessly with Move. I have tracking issues with the Aim-Controller though, which I never really fixed. But shaking the thing here and there isn't a deal-breaker. Farpoint and especially Firewall are still tremendously fun to play. Room for improvement yes, but garbage tier? Not at all.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
WMR tracking is already more than good enough for the mainstream.
I like the idea of not having external stations/cameras (Vive annoying complexity was only eclipsed by trying a 3-camera Oculus setup - don't recommend 'that' to anyone), but every WMR demo I've seen was dreadful when it came to positional tracking. I still don't know if this was the demo setup (jittering could well have just been unacceptably low PC performance), but I gotta wonder how those companies allow it to happen either way.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
My tracking experience with the 2.0 camera and headset has been a little better than the original camera and headset, but I still haven't been able to find that mythical environment that completely eliminates judder and drift. If I wait until night so there's no light coming through nearby windows and also cover some reflective surfaces behind the area where I sit I can get it mostly tolerable, but there are still at least a few moments every session where the tracking breaks down for a few moments. It's frustrating, because the actual Move motion controls are perfectly fine when the tracking works as it should, and many of the games work really well within the constraints of the PS4 hardware.

Still, while it's occasionally frustrating, it's not enough to wreck the experience for me.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
(magnetometer, gravitometer, etc) and implemented them into 2MD's throwing system
Does Sony allow the use of those again now? I remember in PS3 SDK update actually disabled the use, because while they are extremely accurate, reliability is subject to the location interference.

Anyway on related topic - do you guys do any latency improvements things like late-data latching on hand-tracking? Probably not a big deal if you're already 90hz or above - but it makes a huge difference to accuracy at 60. And frankly even at 90 I notice the hand-latency in most PC games...

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Does Sony allow the use of those again now? I remember in PS3 SDK update actually disabled the use, because while they are extremely accurate, reliability is subject to the location interference.

Anyway on related topic - do you guys do any latency improvements things like late-data latching on hand-tracking? Probably not a big deal if you're already 90hz or above - but it makes a huge difference to accuracy at 60. And frankly even at 90 I notice the hand-latency in most PC games...

The PS4 had support for each, believe it or not. Didn't have much issue with em interference as far as I'm aware. Occasionally you need to rotate the controllers to reestablish the neutral point, but that's rare.

We're actually at 60 hz, but latency was not an issue. We did some lerping and interpolation of the hand models to smooth out some of the jerkiness when movements were idle.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 had support for each, believe it or not. Didn't have much issue with em interference as far as I'm aware. Occasionally you need to rotate the controllers to reestablish the neutral point, but that's rare.
Neat - I'm not int football, but I added your game to the list to try out later, definitely curious to see how it works now :)

We're actually at 60 hz, but latency was not an issue. We did some lerping and interpolation of the hand models to smooth out some of the jerkiness when movements were idle.
Last I worked with VR I was looking into how the jitter/jerkiness is basically a function of how much prediction you use(start to visibly break-down around 50ms mark) - so the lower the latency of last real-sample, the more stable the tracking data (it applies to all platforms, though obviously PSVR is the most vulnerable to this when you run at 60hz). I managed to add a solution in for head-tracking before shipping (which was 'easy', compared to doing it for hands) but always wanted to try it for hands too.