• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So today, I finally took the plunge and picked up a PSVR set along with Resident Evil 7. Got everything set up, but the RE7 disc I got is apparently messed up, so I'm going to head out to return that. But in the mean time, I remembered that there's an Astro Bot demo, and I've heard nothing but praise about it, so I figured I'd give it a shot to see how this VR think shakes out for me.

Wow.

I don't quite know what exactly what I was expecting here, but whatever it was, I wasn't prepared for the first couple minutes of Astro Bot.

"Oh, this field of view seems kinda narrow. Wait, I can turn my head, and there's stuff here? Wait, I can move over there? Is behind me rendered too? No way it i- holy shit." I had my reservations about a platformer in VR, but this absolutely sold me. So now, I'm probably going to pick up a copy of Astro Bot (and probably Tetris Effect, heard that one's one hell of an experience in VR) alongside getting a replacement copy of RE7. I'm absolutely sold on the idea of VR now and really hope it doesn't fade out soon.

Anything else I should look into?

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Astro Bot is impeccable. Not only is it an extremely tightly-controlling and delightfully designed platformer, but it feels wholly unique and new because of how it takes advantage of your perspective in VR. One of my favorite games in YEARS.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Beat Saber if you got move controllers. If not, Statik is really fun puzzle game assuming you like puzzles.

I'm one of those outliers that don't think Tetris Effect is particularly good use of VR.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Astrobot being the VR equivalent of the Super Mario 64 moment can't be understated. Every level with new gimmicks brought genuine smile to my face. When you realize you're going to submerge underwater...wow! More people should experience it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Now the Astro Bot theme song is stuck in my head.

Is the The Last Guardian VR demo still up? Try that for the scale and heights.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
As a big platformer fan I really want to play Astro Bot.

Can't really justify it when it's literally all I want a PSVR for though.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played it myself (because I don't have a PSVR yet), but I've heard great things about Moss.
You should check that one out.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Astro Bot is out of this world. One of the best games I've played this generation and a real eye-opening moment for me.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
As good as Astro Bot is, you're not prepared for RE7. That to me is still the most memorable VR game I've played. It could take you a while to get into the controls, but once you're used to the free cam it's great. The tank controls the game starts you out with are just training wheels you should ditch asap. Thumper is also something I'd recommend.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I'm so glad I waited to play RE7 on vr only, its such a great and intense experience

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Beat Saber if you got move controllers. If not, Statik is really fun puzzle game assuming you like puzzles.

I'm one of those outliers that don't think Tetris Effect is particularly good use of VR.
I don't have move controllers at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind.

Astrobot being the VR equivalent of the Super Mario 64 moment can't be understated. Every level with new gimmicks brought genuine smile to my face. When you realize you're going to submerge underwater...wow! More people should experience it.
I remember seeing the commotion about that statement and wondering if it was hyperbole or not, but from the two levels & boss in the demo, the only real comparison I have to playing that for the first time is really SM64. Can't even imagine how much better it'll get.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Astro Bot was my GOTY of 2018 and one of my fav games this gen. Welcome aboard the VR train!

I also recommend:
Farpoint
Firewall
Blood and Truth
Moss
Beat Saber
Wipeout
I expect you to die
Persistence

Stay away from Bravo Team, one of the worst VR games I have played. Even the co-op was OK at best.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
I remember seeing the commotion about that statement and wondering if it was hyperbole or not, but from the two levels & boss in the demo, the only real comparison I have to playing that for the first time is really SM64. Can't even imagine how much better it'll get.

I was a skeptic myself, you know. Then I said, what the heck, let's try it and... this game and RE7 singlehandedly converted me into a believer. Looks like you're going to get Astrobot at this point, but yes, please please play it through to the end! It is pure joy.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Don't have a PSVR but I have had a shot of my brothers and the hype is real, Astro Bot really is an incredible game.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I've said it many times, but Astro Bot is my 2018 GoTY. Your reaction is the same reaction I had, and I already owned PSVR and several games for about a year before Astro Bot even came out. So I was well versed in VR by the time I played it and was still blown away.

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome aboard OP. Astrobot is a treasure and RE7 is also a gamechanger. You should also check out:

SuperHot
Tetris Effect
Beat Saber
Ace Combat 7 (whole game isn't VR)

Gonna piggyback off this thread a bit as I'm kinda curious myself: Any hype recent or coming soon releases to lookout for? Already own what I listed above.

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
Astrobot is really fantastic, I need to get back for the collectibles.

Moss and Tetris Effect are also good games for it.

I need to get a Move so I can try out Beat Saber and SuperHot.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Many's the time I ask myself if there's a new Astro Bot in development. I hope so. Not only a wonderful game in its own right, but also the sort of experience that Sony needs to peddle more often.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Astro Bot was my GOTY of 2018 and one of my fav games this gen. Welcome aboard the VR train!

I also recommend:
Farpoint
Firewall
Blood and Truth
Moss
Beat Saber
Wipeout
I expect you to die
Persistence

Stay away from Bravo Team, one of the worst VR games I have played. Even the co-op was OK at best.
Wait, like... the Omega Collection? It has full VR support?

hooooooly shit

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
Astro Bot, RE7 and Beat Saber are all AMAZING games.

If Sony release PSVR 2 + Astrobot 2 I'll be there day one.

Jan 4, 2018
Astro Bot and RE7 VR are legit some of my favorite experiences of this gen.

I would recommend Blood & Truth if you like action movies/shooters, except I know you said you don't have Move controllers and it's a vastly lesser and more frustrating game with only a DS4.

Last edited:

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Also, are you a Star Wars fan?

Then Star Wars Battlefront (the first game)'s X-Wing VR Mission is a must-play. Seriously, this was my childhood dream come true!

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Oh, as a fan of the Arkham games, how was the Arkham VR thing? I've seen it for dirt cheap a lot as of late, so I might snatch that up while I'm at it, too.

Oct 26, 2017
Astro Bot made me feel like how I felt about games years ago. Just sheer joy, from start to finish. It was like back when we were kids, all sitting around the SNES/Mega Drive and everything just seemed new and fresh.
And the best part was arguably not even playing the game, it was when I showed it to my buddies and gave them a shot, just seeing their faces light up as they experienced it was fantastic.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
If you have Move controllers and enjoy themepark rides and shooting things, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is a fantastic experience. Highly recommended.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I put the helmet on someone and flip on Astro Bot, it's pretty much the same reaction. It's the immediate WOW, followed by a "I have got to get this"

It really is the Mario 64 moment for VR, indeed

Resident Evil 7 is probably my favorite experience on it though, it's not just an amazing VR game but also has the extra bonus of being a major return to form for the series

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Astro Bot and RE7 VR are legit some of my favorite experiences of this gen.

I'd also recommend Blood & Truth if you like action movies/shooters, but I know you said you don't have Move controllers. Definitely a vastly lesser and more frustrating game with only a DS4.
I would definitely not recommend it without move controllers, the control with the ds4 almost made me puke in the climbing sequences, the worst I ever felt.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Makes me want a PSVR, but I can't justify that with having a good PCVR setup. I hope it'll come to PC one day, or snag a PSVR for like $50 or something.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
OP, RE7 is the real deal, but don't listen to those people :p. Those are the questions you should consider first (there is a demo the kitchen I think for free)
- is it your genre?
- It's really immersive, can you cope?
- it's okay to look silly ? (my wife took pictures of me playing the game, she was like what is happening to this guy)

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, as a fan of the Arkham games, how was the Arkham VR thing? I've seen it for dirt cheap a lot as of late, so I might snatch that up while I'm at it, too.
I played it with the Moves and I enjoyed it. You can play it with DS4 though but I'm not sure how well it's implemented. It's only maybe two hours long but what's there is good. You basically investigate a few crime scenes as Batman and interact with objects and solve puzzles. There is a tiny bit of action too. One of the best looking PS VR games. Absolutely worth playing but it i short so maybe wait for a deal.

Check out Farpoint if you want a decent length FPS campaign in VR. It's designed to be played with the Aim controller but I found it surprisingly immersive to control with the DS4 myself.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I would definitely not recommend it without move controllers, the control with the ds4 almost made me puke in the climbing sequences, the worst I ever felt.

Oof yeah if you have Move controllers, absolutely pick up Blood & Truth for sure. Hip firing a magnum is an amazing feeling and once you pick one (or two) up in the game, it basically becomes Death Wish UK starring Revolver Ocelot

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I just recently started playing Astro Bot again to get the rest of the Trophies and I had forgotten how great this game is. And the musicā€”wow!

I'd recommend:
Moss
Wipeout Omega Collection
Star Wars Battlefront (Rogue One Mission)
Superhot VR

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Welcome to the VR OP!

1: Your body is not ready for REVII. Have fun!
2: Yes, Astrobot is incredible!
3: Play REZ Infinite even if you have played the original. That bonus stage is šŸ˜²
4: I HIGHLY recommend Polybius. It's the trippiest thing you can experience on VR and has a fantastic soundtrack.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy VR welcome! :). Now go buy Rez infinite, Tetris effect, super hot VR, and wipeout HD. See if any of your existing games has VR support