• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
I know there are so many threads for this game, but I had so much fun with this game and I wanted to share the love.

It really is a fantastic game, a sort of a mix between Bioshock and Deus Ex as others have already mentioned in past threads.
There were so many things to love about this game
- The great skill tree, with awesome and diverse power-set (I had both Human and Typhon mods installed).
- The eerie atmosphere, as you scan new environments, looking for mimicks and setting up traps.
- The level design, or more so, the world design. At first, I was overwhelmed, but slowly everything came together and I felt like I really know how to get around Talos I.
- The sidequests which had a lot of meat in them, and had some sort of meaning at the end of the game.

But above all, for me, two things stood out most -

1. The way you can tackle things - it's such a joy to explore, finding out all sorts of cool ways to accomplish your objective. One of my favorite things was using an explosive canister to move a leverage III cargo box.

2. I had almost no use of objective markers. There's really no need for them, maybe only around the exterior where it's so vast and empty. I like playing games like this. Just exploring at my own leisure, and by doing so, using the map a bit and the visual cues in the level, I can complete the task.

This was also most evident in the Dishonored games, so it's definitely something Arkane knows how to do. I'm sure it's not easy designing a game that doesn't expect the player to use objective markers, especially in this day and age where every game uses them.

Yes, there are a few shortcomings, mostly the final hours of the game. There's a drop of quality with so many enemies at every level, and the terrible loading times (base PS4) are doing the game no favors.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
2. I had almost no use of objective markers. There's really no need for them, maybe only around the exterior where it's so vast and empty. I like playing games like this. Just exploring at my own leisure, and by doing so, using the map a bit and the visual cues in the level, I can complete the task.

Every time a game comes around where this is a true option it feels SO GOOD.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing game and one of my favourites of the past few years. Loved exploring the world and finding so many different ways to do things. It's the type of game where you can discover something you didn't know every time you play it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish the game's actual shooting and movement felt less slow and clunky. Really hampered my enjoyment.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Criminally underappreciated. Super atmospheric, great story, art design, sound design and world building, It basically excelled on all fronts for me. It's a small detail but I loved always turning on the speakers so I could hear this track whenever I was in a safe area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNsAt3jh60

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
So freakin good and what I really enjoyed too was how scared I was playing at the beginning fighting those first large enemies. I really hope the the team gets to make another. I never got around to the dlc but I will eventually.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I want that Prey sequel we will never get.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing it right now as well. Started on xbox, finishing on PS4. About 13hrs in. Dealing with the surplus in enemies and BOOBY TRAPS which is hindering my enjoyment but still having a good time. There really are so many different ways to do everything which i love. The side quests are hit or miss but definitely feel like interesting content. Definitely skipping a good bit of them. My favorite part is gathering parts and recycling them for materials. So satisfying.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
Using objective marker in Immersive sims is like playing character action games and using only the most basic combo, glad you enjoyed the game OP I heard a lot of praise for the DLC you might want to try that next.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Amazing game all round.
Shout out to the fantastic OST. These to songs are on my regular shuffled playlist and I love them.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Its flawed but i think its one of the best game this gen and perhaps with nier automata one the game with the most to say about game design and player/ creator intetaction. Its a game worth playing and analysing for aspiring writers and designers

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I just recently completed this as well.

Genuinely one of the best games I've ever played. It is superb in so many areas:

- Class leading world building/level design.
- Incredible atmosphere through great art direction, a fantastic soundtrack and sound design, the aforementioned world building, clever scripted moments etc.
- Brilliant sandbox gameplay. The game doesn't hold your hand at all but the gameplay is still very intuitive. The way the various gameplay systems interact with themselves and your environment is completely logical and intuitive. This makes experimenting with the game super satisfying.
- The story is genuinely really good. From the start I was really intrigued with what was happening on Talos 1 and why. I also thought the payoff was really good.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Prey features some of the most robust & thoughtful ambient/environmental storytelling I've experienced. Paired with excellent interior to exterior level design, the atmosphere and sense of place it cultivates is truly remarkable. It's a personal classic that stands toe-to-toe with anything released in a decade.

I'd love to see an alternate reality where Bethesda called it Neuro Shock, went all in on the queer WoC protag, and didn't basically market the game as a fucking shooter.

Mar 19, 2020
I was very excited to see but found it sorely disappointing personally. The creativity around level design and the powers was fantastic and kept me playing through to the end but the actual gameplay felt so sluggish and unresponsive on the ps4. Combat in particularly was just not that good, especially so against the drones.

Found the art design awfully drab and I truly hated where the story went.

I imagine it's much better on the pc and I still want a sequel because the core was there, it just needed a lot more polish imo.

Edit: forgot to say, the sound track was amazing.

Corrupt

Oct 31, 2017
I loved my time with the game, but two main things stick out in my memory that annoyed me.
The giant Typhons that hunt you with a 3 minute time limit, and that mass of corrupted turrets that swarm the place near the end, especially when you have to access the shuttle

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Truly fantastic game. I don't usually enjoy this kind of claustrophobic, tense environments, but I had a lot of fun with it.

May 10, 2019
It's one of those games that 80% of the game is fantastic but the remaining 20%/last hours bring it down. I would still jump right in for a new Prey and actually would like to see some of the game take place back on Earth with the alternative timeline the game created for itself.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Prey is one of the best games of the generation without a shadow of a doubt.

The world design is second to none. There is a real presence to every room and the ship overall. It is masterful level design.

jamoku

Dec 8, 2019
I really enjoyed Prey too and thought it was a great game. The GLOO gun was so cool. My game actually crashed right around the final hour and I accidentally deleted all my save data (it was a very bizarre series of events), but I had heard the last hour wasn't pleasant anyway so I just watched the various endings on YouTube, except for one ending I got earlier on I believe. I suppose it was for the best.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Underrated,one of the best games of this gen,I want to highlight the side quest,people always bring TW3 when we talk about good side quest,but this game is one par if not better,amazing level and world design,atmosphere,the criticism I have is ,enemies variety and too much loading screens,hurts the pacing a lot.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Prey features some of the most robust & thoughtful ambient/environmental storytelling I've experienced. Paired with excellent interior to exterior level design, the atmosphere and sense of place it cultivates is truly remarkable. It's a personal classic that stands toe-to-toe with anything released in a decade.

I'd love to see an alternate reality where Bethesda called it Neuro Shock, went all in on the queer WoC protag, and didn't basically market the game as a fucking shooter.
It's easily one of the best designed game worlds in the medium. The entire structure feels designed with utilitarian function in mind over game-y logic, while also being fun and rewarding to explore. If you're looking for an area or someone's quarters, and you think about where it might logically be positioned, it's likely going to be there.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Underrated,one of the best games of this gen,I want to highlight the side quest,people always bring TW3 when we talk about good side quest,but this game is one par if not better,amazing level and world design,atmosphere,the criticism I have is ,enemies variety and too much loading screens,hurts the pacing a lot.
I'm all for narrative-gameplay harmony when done well, so the enemy visual designs not being particularly varied wasn't a flaw IMO. The actual enemy types are pretty varied and test your skills in different ways, while all feeling like different forms evolved from a single entity. There's a consistent logic to each enemy type and their place among the hierarchy of the Typhon

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Couldn't stomach the loading times. I did enjoy what I played, just going to save it for that sweet ps5 ssd loading.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Did not like the game my first play through (was 8 hours in.) Went back to it 9 or so months later started from scratch and loved it!

_Garret_

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2020
I was very excited to see but found it sorely disappointing personally. The creativity around level design and the powers was fantastic and kept me playing through to the end but the actual gameplay felt so sluggish and unresponsive on the ps4. Combat in particularly was just not that good, especially so against the drones.

you should try it again on a pc, but the mouse and keyboard is what makes the difference. Each of these recent immersive sims, they're in their world on a computer with m/kb. Every one of these games systems is a key away on pc. You have a quickbar, you have keyboard shortcuts. Managind the inventory is point n click, drag n drop. Everything flows much more natural. On consoles every action you want to make is a small and slow minigame in itself

Mar 19, 2020
you should try it again on a pc, but the mouse and keyboard is what makes the difference. Each of these recent immersive sims, they're in their world on a computer with m/kb. Every one of these games systems is a key away on pc. You have a quickbar, you have keyboard shortcuts. Managind the inventory is point n click, drag n drop. Everything flows much more natural. On consoles every action you want to make is a small and slow minigame in itself

Yeah I think you're right. It was probably a mistake to play this on consoles and I heard players on pc were generally having a better time. I'll give it another go!

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for narrative-gameplay harmony when done well, so the enemy visual designs not being particularly varied wasn't a flaw IMO. The actual enemy types are pretty varied and test your skills in different ways, while all feeling like different forms evolved from a single entity. There's a consistent logic to each enemy type and their place among the hierarchy of the Typhon
Yeah,I agree,they have a reason,it is just nitpicking from me.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
the fact that leverage III items are still physics-based so you can knock them out of the way with other items (particularly if there's a precarious stack) is my favorite part of this game

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The game is really good, but I didn't click too much with it. It has a really strong opening, but it kinda never lived up to that initial hype of the first few hours. I think I'll give it another try sometime

Oct 27, 2017
Prey is one of the highlights of this generation.

That feeling when you envision a solution to a problem, that would work in real life, but wouldn't in most video games, and here IT JUST WORKS

Like the time I wanted to enter inside a booth, I just transformed into a mug I put there and then entered through the hole in the glass. It felt AMAZING.

Or when I went somewhere I feel I wasn't supposed to yet by using the Glue gun.

I'd buy a sequel day one.

Oct 27, 2017
Top 5 this gen. I rarely finish games anymore and this one had me hooked even through some rather nauseous parts (space walkin').

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Prey is one of the highlights of this generation.

That feeling when you envision a solution to a problem, that would work in real life, but wouldn't in most video games, and here IT JUST WORKS

Like the time I wanted to enter inside a booth, I just transformed into a mug I put there and then entered through the hole in the glass. It felt AMAZING.

Or when I went somewhere I feel I wasn't supposed to yet by using the Glue gun.

I'd buy a sequel day one.

Gloo Gun is small time, the real deal was ricocheting nerf darts off a wall to hit a button to open a door.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
One of my fav games this gen. Kept seeing on threads on here and then decided to take the plunge one day. So glad I did.

I have even got a few of my friends to play it since, offering them a personal refund if they disliked the game. None of them have asked me for their money back :D

If you are reading this and haven't played it yet, please do. It's a gem.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
One of my fav games this gen. Kept seeing on threads on here and then decided to take the plunge one day. So glad I did.

I have even got a few of my friends to play it since, offering them a personal refund if they disliked the game. None of them have asked me for their money back :D

If you are reading this and haven't played it yet, please do. It's a gem.

Second this. My favorite game of 2017. 2017.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Yeah, you can shoot darts from the nerf crossbow to hit button and such. There's also an email somewhere that say they've also got capacitive tips, so you also use them to interact with terminals with touchscreens.

Their main usage was still to instakill cystoid nests though. So many headaches avoided when I figured that out.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I didn't like it like others did. Had to give up on it as it felt like i was going through lots of small areas with long loading screens between each of them. The combat wasn't fun for me either, I didn't have a good time.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've had a copy of this since early last year but I haven't played it yet. I should probably get on that since I have so much time at home right now.

OP
OP
Menaged

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Reading this thread is a joy.

I didn't think for a moment I can use the darts for the cestoid. Every time I looked for something to throw at them, never thinking to use the bow.

I did use it once to open a door which was really cool.

I wonder what arkane are doing next. I never thought of them as a top tier developer, but after dishonored and prey they definitely are. And I'm sure they don't have crazy budgets like other AAA devs.

Jan 4, 2018
I want Prey 2 dammit. This cliffhanger needs answers.

I especially loved how the Typhon is presented in the game and how everything seems to be so mysterious yet cold and scientifical with bits of horror.

And the menu soundtrack was so good.