• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Just finished my 30 hour playthrough of Prey. Got 3 different endings. Man, I wish I had picked this up earlier but just kept putting it into the backlog even after buying it cheap from a Steam sale.

It was really enjoyable with extremely well designed levels, great visuals and gameplay that lets the player call the shots in most situations and offers multiple solutions to many problems if you are willing to look around for alternative routes etc.

I have a few complaints though. The major one is that it has too much combat in it. I get that there need to be some Typhan infested levels but when most have a lot of them it's a bit much. I think a more Alien Isolation type approach where combat is rare and it's mostly about navigating the environment with occasional mimic ambushes etc would have made it a better game. Earlier on the game allows the player more chances to sneak around the Typhans wandering around the station and many of them are dangerous enough that it's smart to do so. By the end of the game I just ran past a lot of them or sneak attack blasted them to smithereens.

My minor complaint is that some of the audio logs go on and on too long. I generally dislike audio logs as a crutch to avoid allowing the player to encounter NPCs and programming the logic needed for that but since the game does let you interact with non-hostile NPCs as well I would have liked the logs to be more short and sweet type deals as most of them are not interesting enough to warrant their length.

But overall an excellent game! Hope they get to make a sequel some day.

Jan 4, 2018
MICROGRAVITY DETECTED

I loved this game, I hope it will get a sequel. The world needs more games set in believable sci-fi.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I'm not sure why but I hated that damn foam gun.. just found it real hard/messy to use. I never felt accurate with it, just spray and pray(prey hehe).

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I have a few complaints though. The major one is that it has too much combat in it. I get that there need to be some Typhan infested levels but when most have a lot of them it's a bit much. I think a more Alien Isolation type approach where combat is rare and it's mostly about navigating the environment with occasional mimic ambushes etc would have made it a better game. Earlier on the game allows the player more chances to sneak around the Typhans wandering around the station and many of them are dangerous enough that it's smart to do so. By the end of the game I just ran past a lot of them or sneak attack blasted them to smithereens...

op, we're in total, complete agreement. always has been, & always will be my single problem with this otherwise just about perfect game. overdone, & completely unnecessary...

feel the same way about control, as well...

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
It had a lot of great things going for it. Respawning enemies really soured my experience of it though...

Nov 8, 2017
Loved it. Great environment to explore and master. Not too big not too small. There was some talk about people not liking the ending but I did.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
It's more for building ladders to reach places you normally can't. I almost never used it as a weapon.
It's been awhile, and maybe I was playing it wrong, but I remember having to use it a lot to slow down the mimics enough to be able to even even hit them with another gun. I did play on console with controller though..

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
It's been awhile, and maybe I was playing it wrong, but I remember having to use it a lot to slow down the mimics enough to be able to even even hit them with another gun. I did play on console with controller though..

You can use it on the mimics for sure, but I found if I just held the wrench for a second for a strong strike, it killed them fast enough.

OP
OP
laxu

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
The trick is to use the gloo gun on most enemies as it slows them down and gives extra damage. My go to method was gloo gun a phantom, shotgun to the face a few times until I unlocked the sneak damage boosts.

Mathmarauder

Nov 14, 2017
I've been playing this on gamepass and loving it. However I just activated the looking glass terminal, and now all over previously cleared levels it has spawned the purple phantasm(the ones that can split). These have eaten away all my Q-cell ammo, and even on normal they seem to 3 hit me with each hit reducing my suit condition by about 10-20%.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I was having no diffifuctly before, I've tried dropping it to easy but these take so many bullets to kill. I'm trying to lure them into fire traps or turrets but that doesnt seem to do much. Did I just use too many of my resources and I'm screwed? I'd like to cheat to get past this because when I have ammo they are easy, but cheats don't work on the gamepass version.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished Prey, it looks and runs great on Series X especially in 60fps thanks to FPS boost. Put over 70 hours into it and it's really great. Don't know why I kept putting it off. Arkane Studios' becoming one of my favorite developers, their games' great like Dishonored series. I also enjoyed Dark Messiah of Might and Magic too. Really hope they're working on a sequel especially they're under MS.

If you're having some trouble, just switch the difficulty to story. You won't get hurt badly and lucky achievement isn't tied to difficulty.