• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This is the future of VR audio:

Michael-Abrash-HRTF.jpg

These aren't really headphones, and will be eventually built into headsets themselves. Abrash talked about them in his keynote presentation. They can provide imperceptibly accurate binaural audio.
Audio is verrry underappreciated anywhere in gaming. This is going to be a huge deal when it hits headsets as lifelike audio would multiply immersion tenfold.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In VR you can look at a featureless box on a featureless plain and be able to instantly know that the box is, say, 50 feet away and is 300 feet long, 40 feet tall and 80 feet wide.
That's not something you can do on a TV. That's not something you can do on a 3D TV.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TVs are getting way more immersive too which is another point. If my TV is the size of my whole wall do I really need a head set?

This is absolutely nothing like being in VR. VR is not having a big screen on your face. VR is like this:

VigilantEminentAmericanquarterhorse.gif

aE8yYRQ.gif

YrzuUTz.gif

ONDoeqX.gif

Right away, when you put on a VR headset, you immediately get hit by something you've never seen on any other screen before: Scale. VR allows you to discern scale. Objects have a real world scale, which your own body corresponds to. You can, in VR, visually guage how big something is, with accuracy. You could, for example, put vive sensors on a real world object like a baseball bat, and be able to visually tell how big the bat is in VR just by looking at the sensor location. Things that are supposed to be big look big in VR, unlike anything your TV can convey.

Scale extends not just in being able to determine how big an object is, but also in stereoscopic depth. It's not just 3D, the 3D component has a scale as well. You can guage how far something is away. VR can make you honestly feel like you're thousands of feet in the air, to a degree of realism that subconscious parts of your brain are fooled. VR can give you literal vertigo. Things like 3D movies or 3DS or things like, they never had frame of references for their depth. How big of a gap the depth was supposed to represent changed from scene to scene. In VR, depth has scale, relative to your own physical being.

It's absolutely nothing like being in front of a big tv screen.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but one of the big points of VR is its pure immersion into the game world. Taking that away by allowing easy access to the outside world would severely weaken one of its biggest strengths.

Well. You can't have it both ways. At least not at once.

You can stick your earbuds in, and put a blinder on, and disable any sort of outside sight for maximum immersion. Or you can use your normal sound setup with nothing in your ears, and leave the sides of your headset open, and use a outside facing camera when available for maximum outside awareness. You can use any mix of those options.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Sure, but one of the big points of VR is its pure immersion into the game world. Taking that away by allowing easy access to the outside world would severely weaken one of its biggest strengths.
But it's about choice. You can also choose to be immersed in a TV for 10 hours straight or not really take it that seriously.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
This is absolutely nothing like being in VR. VR is not having a big screen on your face. VR is like this:

aE8yYRQ.gif

YrzuUTz.gif

ONDoeqX.gif

Right away, when you put on a VR headset, you immediately get hit by something you've never seen on any other screen before: Scale. VR allows you to discern scale. Objects have a real world scale, which your own body corresponds to. You can, in VR, visually guage how big something is, with accuracy. You could, for example, put vive sensors on a real world object like a baseball bat, and be able to visually tell how big the bat is in VR just by looking at the sensor location. Things that are supposed to be big look big in VR, unlike anything your TV can convey.

Scale extends not just in being able to determine how big an object is, but also in stereoscopic depth. It's not just 3D, the 3D component has a scale as well. You can guage how far something is away. VR can make you honestly feel like you're thousands of feet in the air, to a degree of realism that subconscious parts of your brain are fooled. VR can give you literal vertigo. Things like 3D movies or 3DS or things like, they never had frame of references for their depth. How big of a gap the depth was supposed to represent changed from scene to scene. In VR, depth has scale, relative to your own physical being.

Even a billboard-sized TV at with the highest resolution available doesn't allow you to feel like you're inside the game like VR does.

aE8yYRQ.gif

YrzuUTz.gif

ONDoeqX.gif

Those gifs are about as close as you can get to imagining VR without actually trying it, but I remember seeing VR gifs before I tried VR and I thought. "Nah, it probably doesn't put you inside a game like that."

It does, and more than those gifs can even convey because depth perception is a real thing once you put on the headset.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Well. You can't have it both ways. At least not at once.

You can stick your earbuds in, and put a blinder on, and disable any sort of outside sight for maximum immersion. Or you can use your normal sound setup with nothing in your ears, and leave the sides of your headset open, and use a outside facing camera when available for maximum outside awareness. You can use any mix of those options.
PSVR lets your mic pick up outside sound by the way, so you don't need to take them off. Front facing camera AR will be superseded by mixed reality reconstruction. Basically, the VR headset will use the same cameras to capture the real world and reconstruct it in your headset as an overlay. This would let you be in any VR experience and still see reality bleed in, as much or as little of it as you want. This will be useful for when you want to see just a drink in VR or have your chair line up with your virtual room, or if you want to see others.

Oculus Quest does this, with the expectation of near photorealistic reconstruction in 4 years for PC VR.

Demo:

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Got one yesterday and while AstroBot is cool (not finished the first world yet. I'm finding it solid and extremely charming but not this revelatory experience many others get from it), SuperHot is what I keep going back to play even with the seemingly dodgy tracking. I think I got a bit too into the dodging bullets shenanigans yesterday as my back is sore as hell tonight.

Just come back after you play the first 3 worlds and see if you can keep the same opinion......... I dare you! :D

Last edited:

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

aE8yYRQ.gif

YrzuUTz.gif

ONDoeqX.gif

I'm with you and agree. My point was really that VR won't replace TVs because of social scenarios and people liking to multitask while watching something. If people keep investing in TVs, they're less likely to have more cash for more VR. Gaming companies will likely cater to TV first for a long time.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'm with you and agree. My point was really that VR won't replace TVs because of social scenarios and people liking to multitask while watching something. If people keep investing in TVs, they're less likely to have more cash for more VR. Gaming companies will likely cater to TV first for a long time.
Physical social scenarios is totally a valid point, although will be lessened with widespread adoption and you'll also see people that want to mix physical people and people at distances into one TV viewing session which can only be done through VR/AR.

Multi-tasking will not be an issue at all. In fact, VR/AR will be the best multitasking device because they are computing devices that can project anything in 3D space, giving you effectively unlimited screen real estate.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
This is the future of VR audio:

Michael-Abrash-HRTF.jpg

These aren't really headphones, and will be eventually built into headsets themselves. Abrash talked about them in his keynote presentation. They can provide imperceptibly accurate binaural audio.
That's pretty neat. When are we getting these babies in our hmd's you estimate?

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Just come back after you play the first 3 worlds and see if you can keep the same opinion......... I dare you. :D
Better yet, finish world 5. It just keeps ramping up nicely in difficulty and introducing new mechanics and themes for the levels. It goes from good to great to amazing from world 1 thru 3 thru 5.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm a huge VR advocat, but I just don't love platformers so I haven't jumped in on Astrobot yet. But ya'll keep tempting me.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn, Astro Bot. If my first VR game, Moss, felt like it put me right there in front of the stage of a puppet theater, Astro bot is transforming my entire living room, no, bigger; my entire world into an amazing 3D platformer! So many "wow, that's so cool" moments in this game. I haven't seen such a revolution in gaming since the PS1 and Saturn put polygonal graphics on a flat TV but this is an even bigger game changer.

I tried a bit of The Inpatient too but its realistic graphics feel maybe above what PS VR on my base PS4 can handle at this point tbh. Certain things look flat and many objects get a "floaty" and blurry effect. It also gave me some motion sickness. Up close, the character models look amazing though.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
You can already do that with the PSVR and sliding forward the Visor. Allowing your phone to be represented in the headset or a small screen in the corner would not be a big deal imo

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm a huge VR advocat, but I just don't love platformers so I haven't jumped in on Astrobot yet. But ya'll keep tempting me.
What's great about Astro Bot (so far) isn't the jumping but looking left right up and down to find the hidden Bot that's nearby, sqealing 'help me!'. The use of the gamepad as a companion for the character is perfect.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
That's pretty neat. When are we getting these babies in our hmd's you estimate?
Oculus are aiming for 2022, though it's probably their riskiest prediction for 2022. It fully solves our sense of sound though, so we can say that 1/5 of our senses are perfected by that point. Well, it requires audio propagation algorithms to be utilized of course, but those are coming along very nicely:

Oct 27, 2017
TV sound is just fine, haven't used the earbuds yet (and I will), but have had no sound issues so far.

Tetris Effect is a fine tetris game with nice artistry, but overrated as a PSVR game. A bit muddy looking in text and tetris board.

Moss and Astrobot are great examples of immersion - standing up, looking around corners and over your shoulder, leaning your head into scenes to admire details or progress through a level, and the visuals are about as "sharp" as you can get with PSVR. The wood table the Moss book is on, there is writing carved into the wood on the underside of the table, check it out. Leaning in to get a closer look at the scenery and the characters is a worthwhile experience all on its own.

Last Guardian Demo - When Trico gets in your face it's stunning. Having characters be able to be close enough to be in your lap, or really hug you, is going to be transformative for people in the future.

Star Trek Bridge Crew - haven't gotten past the first screen - if you ever wanted to do one of those shuttle fly-bys of a starship, well, this is it. Very immersive, can even lean forward and peek around to get more of a side view of things.

Have some other things to try out, but the head tracking works VERY well. What makes it transformative, though, is being able to move your head along an axis to see (and do) things. Haven't felt this way since trying the wii for the first time.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Oculus are aiming for 2022, though it's probably their riskiest prediction for 2022. It fully solves our sense of sound though, so we can say that 1/5 of our senses are perfected by that point. Well, it requires audio propagation algorithms to be utilized of course, but those are coming along very nicely:

Thanks for the links, listened to them with decent headphones as recommended. Interesting they're giving the same time frame estimate for this as their foveated rendering solution. Looks like they're aiming to bring everything together for their next generation around 2022. Also forward to what PSVR2 & next Vive can bring to the table as well.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Thanks for the links, listened to them with decent headphones as recommended. Interesting they're giving the same time frame estimate for this as their foveated rendering solution. Looks like they're aiming to bring everything together for their next generation around 2022. Also forward to what PSVR2 & next Vive can bring to the table as well.
Correct, they are gearing up for a breakthrough headset in 2022. Rumors suggest we'll see a Rift S in the meantime alongside Valve's leaked headset.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah my wife got me Astro Bot bundle for Xmas and I'm loving it. Truly feels like a next gen experience. Need more time but wow, it's as close to 2D to 3D leap as I've seen as an adult

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moss is my first proper VR game and it's dope. I really like how they've implemented the VR. Being able to lean forward and catch details that you otherwise wouldn't from a standard sitting position is really fucking cool.

The game hasn't blown me away so I'm looking forward to jumping into Astro Bot, Firewall etc.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I can't stop buying VR games. Got some Amazon gift cards so I got some psn $ with them and bought Raw Data, Rick and Morty, and Job Simulator. Then Gamestop started a buy 2 get 1 sale today. Ended up picking up Moss, Robinson, and RE7 and they had a Skyrim VR with the wrong price sticker, it was marked with Evil Within 2 for $16, so got it too. But then I just end up playing Beat Saber, Superhot or Tetris.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TV sound is just fine, haven't used the earbuds yet (and I will), but have had no sound issues so far.

Tetris Effect is a fine tetris game with nice artistry, but overrated as a PSVR game. A bit muddy looking in text and tetris board.

Moss and Astrobot are great examples of immersion - standing up, looking around corners and over your shoulder, leaning your head into scenes to admire details or progress through a level, and the visuals are about as "sharp" as you can get with PSVR. The wood table the Moss book is on, there is writing carved into the wood on the underside of the table, check it out. Leaning in to get a closer look at the scenery and the characters is a worthwhile experience all on its own.

Last Guardian Demo - When Trico gets in your face it's stunning. Having characters be able to be close enough to be in your lap, or really hug you, is going to be transformative for people in the future.

Star Trek Bridge Crew - haven't gotten past the first screen - if you ever wanted to do one of those shuttle fly-bys of a starship, well, this is it. Very immersive, can even lean forward and peek around to get more of a side view of things.

Have some other things to try out, but the head tracking works VERY well. What makes it transformative, though, is being able to move your head along an axis to see (and do) things. Haven't felt this way since trying the wii for the first time.
Doing Tetris Effect a huge disservice by not playing with headphones

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

aE8yYRQ.gif

YrzuUTz.gif

ONDoeqX.gif

This is a really good post.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
It's really awesome to see how perception of VR has changed on Era.

Really cool to see so many more knowledgeable people talking about VR, and seeing people in general more positive about it.

I've had a Rift for about 2.5 years, and the family just got a PSVR. I'm really impressed with the PSVR. It's more comparable to the Rift than I expected.

Tracking is my only real complaint. It's mostly great where I have it set up, but it's clearly not as good as the Rift, which is pretty much flawless.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
In VR, depth has scale, relative to your own physical being.
The relative part needs to be emphasized as well. VR can sell you on being 'tiny' or 'huge' just as being 'human-sized' in a way nothing on TV even remotely approaches.
And that first time seeing a highly-detailed Diorama in VR is just as breathtaking as first time looking at a large vista.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really awesome to see how perception of VR has changed on Era.

Really cool to see so many more knowledgeable people talking about VR, and seeing people in general more positive about it.

I've had a Rift for about 2.5 years, and the family just got a PSVR. I'm really impressed with the PSVR. It's more comparable to the Rift than I expected.

Tracking is my only real complaint. It's mostly great where I have it set up, but it's clearly not as good as the Rift, which is pretty much flawless.

PSVR's tech is long in the tooth by now, and the tracking is pretty awful, but it has some legitimately great software. It helps that many of the really popular PCVR games that don't need roomscale too much have come to PSVR as well, things like To The Top. As the very first VR headset from a big games company aimed entirely at a pretty casual game playing market, PSVR is about as good a first step as you could have hoped for. Sony's teams have really done a great job of pushing new content for it (And Oculus as well -- for all the problems I have with their parent company, Oculus has funded some really terrific VR stuff).

Before the generation first started, I said I felt like PSVR would be a lot like the Super FX chip, and I still stand by that comparison. Next generation, assuming Sony goes full in with VR, will be so much better. But like the early Super FX games, they've done a really good job of giving people a glimpse into what's possible and coming in the near future.

I'm not so sure that Sony's next big VR thing will necessarily be the PS5, though. I think things like the Oculus Quest are where everything will start hitting the real mass consumer market for VR, and thus I could see the next Playstation VR being a stand alone unit, or perhaps something that's stand alone but can also work with PS5. ESPECIALLY if the inside-out cameras that these types of headsets are moving towards also allow for early AR.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't expect crossplay to be common.
Not any more common than AAAs are in the first place (which is already a fairly tiny minority of the total releases). The money behind it guarantees to always go for lowest-common denominators, not anything exclusionary on the cutting edge.

if the standard of a VR FPS is that you have a full body version of yourself with very finetuned control over weapons, interaction, and movement, you can't shoehorn that into a crossplay version of CoD.
Eh, I'd argue you can - online is kind of the great equalizer that eliminates most of the perceived advantages of fine-grain local input anyway. Although like we don't throw mouse and controllers into same matches, you wouldn't do it there either for competitive purposes. But it could be done in other settings.
Again this isn't about advancing the medium, you shouldn't look at big-budget labels for that until well into the medium being mature already.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
PSVR's tech is long in the tooth by now, and the tracking is pretty awful, but it has some legitimately great software. It helps that many of the really popular PCVR games that don't need roomscale too much have come to PSVR as well, things like To The Top. As the very first VR headset from a big games company aimed entirely at a pretty casual game playing market, PSVR is about as good a first step as you could have hoped for. Sony's teams have really done a great job of pushing new content for it (And Oculus as well -- for all the problems I have with their parent company, Oculus has funded some really terrific VR stuff).

Before the generation first started, I said I felt like PSVR would be a lot like the Super FX chip, and I still stand by that comparison. Next generation, assuming Sony goes full in with VR, will be so much better. But like the early Super FX games, they've done a really good job of giving people a glimpse into what's possible and coming in the near future.

I'm not so sure that Sony's next big VR thing will necessarily be the PS5, though. I think things like the Oculus Quest are where everything will start hitting the real mass consumer market for VR, and thus I could see the next Playstation VR being a stand alone unit, or perhaps something that's stand alone but can also work with PS5. ESPECIALLY if the inside-out cameras that these types of headsets are moving towards also allow for early AR.

This is what I hope for Sony to do with the PSVR2. I too believe the Oculus Quest will really expand the VR market, but so far it will not be compatible with PC games. By making the PSVR2 a self contained device that also works with the PS5, Sony could cover the high-end and portable VR markets with one product.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I was really really close to buying this as an auto christmas gift, but in reality I'm only interested in Astro bot and RE7, I'm trying to hold out for PSVR2 with PS5 since I could buy this, but I know I would only play it for like a week and then it will be a novelty for people coming over.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but it's what you are kinda asking for. Anyway the choice would be yours. The amount of immersion is not arbitrary, you decide how cut off or restricted you will be and therefore how immersed you want to get in that moment.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got PSVR. Shit is amazing.
But I have one HUGE piece advice. Adjust the screen brightness all the way down. The screen backlight is default maximum. I went from a ton of eye strain to zero by dropping the backlight brightness all the way to the minimum.

OLEDs don't have a backlight.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Someone said you can watch 3D movies with PSVR... how? Buy a 3D bluray or something? Does anyone offer (easy) 3D streaming options?

I've always wanted to see Dredd in 3D, is that possible with PSVR?

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
That option to allow outside sounds into the audio mix was a game changer for me.

I don't like the feeling of being completely cut off from the outside world.

The microphone is actually really sensitive. I can hear when the door opens to my gaming room... this is good because my wife thinks it's "hilarious" to scare me while I'm pkaying VR.
Holy shit this is huge! Didnt know this existed and I've had it since launch. I've been telling my wife to call me on my phone if she needs me from the other room.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Someone said you can watch 3D movies with PSVR... how? Buy a 3D bluray or something? Does anyone offer (easy) 3D streaming options?

I've always wanted to see Dredd in 3D, is that possible with PSVR?

Yes, I've done it using the disc. And I've seen Dredd on 3D Blu-ray for less than $4 new. Use Medium screen size. Large pretty much kills the 3D effect.
Also, Vudu has 3D streaming but I never thought to try it on PSVR. I've tried it on my projector and the hit to image quality is much bigger than going from 2D Blu-ray to 1080p streaming.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Cool... I'm apparently one of the dozens of people on Earth who actually likes 3D movies so this good news for me. Thanks!

Apr 8, 2018
I received the Creed/Superhot bundle plus a few other PSVR games for Christmas. Astro Bot is pretty great and Superhot is absolutely amazing.

Only big complaint I have is this issue when I start up some VR games and apps. Whenever the game/app is loading and switching to VR mode, the headset will either display nothing or only display the image in the left lens. Could this be a tracking issue or is it possible my headset/breakout box is faulty?

Oct 27, 2017
Finally jumping into the PSVR scene.

Are these solid prices for these?

iyabxtA.png

The only ones I am iffy on are Batman VR and Battlezone. Has Driveclub VR ever been on sale?

I have Paranormal Activity and Astro Bot on the way. Thinking about picking up Gungrave VR too.