• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the Vita, Moss made me constantly think of how amazing a sequel to Tearaway could be in VR. In concept, the two games are a bit similar where you control, interact with and help the in-game character from a reader/"god" perspective. A bigger game like Tearaway has so much potential for interaction and exploration.

I know Dreams is coming from Media Molecule but it is primarily designed as a flat screen game. I think MM's playful creativity could really spark in a game built from the ground up for VR. Kind of hoping they wait for next gen though when we hopefully have controllers which allow for both traditional gameplay and better depth/motion interactivity in one.

Really liked Moss as my first proper VR game btw. It felt like sitting at the front of a theater stage and controlling everything on it. VR is truly a remarkable experience and genuinely adds something unlike chasing higher and higher resolution every gen. Probably a game you won't get motion sick from either so I will recommend it to others at their first game too.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I wish there were a guide to which games rely on good VR legs, and which ones are better suited to motion controllers.

I just bought some ginger sweets to help ease the queasiness. Nothing too bad just yet but definitely some discomfort.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
My first impressions of Moss have been pretty underwhelming. The storybook intro is not a good use of VR, and static narrated images have never made for a good introduction in films or games. Is this mostly padding because the gameplay is so slight?

Question about Moss, is there any way to need to reach less far to grab items in the world? My partner and I have both struggled with even things like the page turning.

Oct 28, 2017
Got this for the kids and ohhhhhhboy, we future now!

The set-up was fairly simple (outside of some cumbersome cable management ) not sure why the OP had such a hard way to go, it was like setting up a Wii U. That Astrobot is some next level stuff. Feels like a theme park ride when I first set it up and the level design is simple yet remarkable.

I'm curious about the other Multimedia options the PSVR may have. Movies, sports, NASA space stuff. I'm not sure I can use it for more than 20 min as I was fairly discombobulated when I took it off.

Resident evil 7 is a must try, even if I know I wont finish the game.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jumped in yesterday. The quality is beyond my expectations even on a base PS4.

Feels like PSVR is hitting its stride and becoming more of a mainstream product with the recent sales.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I have to ask, did someone else develop "VR Vision" after their first exposure to VR? o.o Ever since using mine two days ago every now and then when I look at flat 2D screens it's as if my eyes want to see the content in 3D for a second, like the text trying to separate itself from the background while I read Era for example.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My first impressions of Moss have been pretty underwhelming. The storybook intro is not a good use of VR, and static narrated images have never made for a good introduction in films or games. Is this mostly padding because the gameplay is so slight?

Question about Moss, is there any way to need to reach less far to grab items in the world? My partner and I have both struggled with even things like the page turning.

Any time things seem too close or too far away, your best bet is to hold the options button on the controller. It's fairly universal that doing that will reset your position in the game world.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Do people really think VR is next generation? After playing Star Citizen I think it gave a taste of next gen. Incredible detail and scale both as I have never seen in a game. It feels like early alpha of a next gen game, which it basically is.

VR is an amazing advancement but I hesitate to call it next gen. It's not in every house like TVs are so it's considered very expensive to get into. Next gen there will be new headsets and they won't be cheap. Meanwhile 80 inch 4K TVs are starting to get closer to affordable. In 2020 I just spent $500 on a ps5 and a game or 2 and now I want to really experience what it can do. PSVR2 is a year away but looks amazing, and will be $400. But there's also a Samsung 80" 4K for $1000 with all the features you want. I think people go for that and call it good enough and continue to skip VR.

The huge TV is just better for shared experiences like movies and sports and next gen VR will be expensive.

TLDR: VR isn't next gen. It's more of a optional immersion add-on that many will prefer but many other people will ignore forever.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017

It gets better IMO, but even so, it's not an amazing game.
As noted above me, press the options button to recenter. Should do the trick.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
I jumped in last Saturday when the price dropped to $199. I picked up the Astrobot/Moss bundle and honestly I had buyers remorse until I played the VR PlayRoom for the first time. It was the first thing I tried in VR and I was fucking blown away. I can't believe how awesome PSVR is. Luckily I purchased the Move controller set when I had my PS3 so I was able to find the controller and then I just purchased an additional Move controller from GameStop so I was all set.

Needless to say I am completely blown away by how immersive the PSVR is. I love Super Hyper Cube and I still need to play Astrobot ( I played the demo and loved it). Rez and Thumper are amazing experiences and the only game I couldnt handle was the Starblood Arena, the game handles motion so realistic I found myself almost instantly dizzy. Hopefully as I use it more i'll be able to come back to it. I plan on buying Ultrawings tonight as I am a huge Pilotwings SNES/64 fan. I'm looking forward to many more awesome experiences with this headset to come!

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Stand a little farther back from the camera and then reset your position in game holding the options button.

It will reset your position so that you won't have to lean in forward as much.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
did the same bought moss and astro bot kit this morning. Bean trying the demo disk since then.... I'm having a real blast... i can't believe i've wait this long....

Stumper is the next i'm buying.... it's fantastic.... Rez is the next !

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got this for the kids and ohhhhhhboy, we future now!

The set-up was fairly simple (outside of some cumbersome cable management ) not sure why the OP had such a hard way to go, it was like setting up a Wii U. That Astrobot is some next level stuff. Feels like a theme park ride when I first set it up and the level design is simple yet remarkable.

I'm curious about the other Multimedia options the PSVR may have. Movies, sports, NASA space stuff. I'm not sure I can use it for more than 20 min as I was fairly discombobulated when I took it off.

Resident evil 7 is a must try, even if I know I wont finish the game.
I agree regarding the set up. Took approx 5 minutes plugging everything in and getting it started. Very straightforward the only negative is the amount of cables.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people really think VR is next generation? After playing Star Citizen I think it gave a taste of next gen. Incredible detail and scale both as I have never seen in a game. It feels like early alpha of a next gen game, which it basically is.

VR is an amazing advancement but I hesitate to call it next gen. It's not in every house like TVs are so it's considered very expensive to get into. Next gen there will be new headsets and they won't be cheap. Meanwhile 80 inch 4K TVs are starting to get closer to affordable. In 2020 I just spent $500 on a ps5 and a game or 2 and now I want to really experience what it can do. PSVR2 is a year away but looks amazing, and will be $400. But there's also a Samsung 80" 4K for $1000 with all the features you want. I think people go for that and call it good enough and continue to skip VR.

The huge TV is just better for shared experiences like movies and sports and next gen VR will be expensive.

TLDR: VR isn't next gen. It's more of a optional immersion add-on that many will prefer but many other people will ignore forever.

Nobody takes topic subtitles seriously if that's what you are referring to.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think when people call VR next gen it's because of the new experience it gives you when gaming, not that they believe it will become main stream.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

To each their own. If you ask me it goes beyond being a new generation. I'd even argue it's an entirely new medium.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I picked up a few PSVR games in recent sales that I wanted to comment on:

Ultrawings - Love it! It's kind of like Pilotwings in VR and it gives you a great feeling when flying around. The first time I took off in the ultralight I had a huge grin on my face for quite some time. Really enjoying it.

Eagle Flight - Extremely disappointing. The gameplay is simplistic but that's OK. The big problem is that it has "comfort" settings that cannot be turned off, so any time you get close to anything (buildings, trees, the ground) that section of the screen darkens to help weak players avoid nausea. I have no problem with such settings to prevent motion sickness and having them turned on by default, but many of us do NOT get sick and would much rather be able to see the whole screen. It's very obvious and intrusive when it happens and it robs the game of much of it's immersion and sense of speed. These settings should always be something you can adjust.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

VR is so new there's some crossover, but in a few years there will be very few VR games that you can also play on a TV (and probably vice versa). It's a whole new thing, it needs games to be made especially for it.

Edgeward

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine last friday as well and this thing is a revelation. Being able to experience wipeout in 3D is just a level of visual immersion that greatly enhances my enjoyment of the game.

Skyrim took getting used to the controls with the moves, it still taking adjustment to always hit the right button for menu and the item management is complete trash with moves but the game sucks me in with VR. I wasn't even a big fan of regular skyrim but in VR it makes me want to stick around and lose track of time.

Creed has me sweating so much but it's just great. Everything I imagined a boxing game to be other than those wires getting in the way. Only real time the wires bother me.

And even is said about astro bot. The level of interaction in the 3d space and how it integrates yourself into the world is just a joy. I had my dad try it out first and he was just floored at how things looked and played.

I don't know if I'll come down from this wow feeling but so far I love it so much. While there are those looking for hardware improvements I just want this device to be compatible with the next playstation console and play the existing games at even sharper IQ. Playing it on the OG console is fine but the lack of AA in some parts and little blur is sometimes distracting in some games like Dirt Rally. I don't want to get a Pro with the next console most likely soon around the corner.

Oct 28, 2017
is anyone else doing 100% move controls with Skyrim VR and no teleportation? So far my only difficulty with this setup is moving forward/backward quickly to bait out attacks from enemies. Anyone using these controls with 100% accuracy?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
is anyone else doing 100% move controls with Skyrim VR and no teleportation? So far my only difficulty with this setup is moving forward/backward quickly to bait out attacks from enemies. Anyone using these controls with 100% accuracy?

Yeah, I got pretty good at it. One thing is to keep the left-hand vertical, and next get used to using the x button to "push" yourself away instead of trying to point the move back over your shoulder, or otherwise reach too far. Nice, controlled range of movement. Push, and pull. Push, and pull.

It never gets as accurate as a stick, but it can get to where it feels totally natural and you forget about it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Considering these currently, if not, say why I shouldn't buy it/them:

Beat Saber
Superhot VR
Raw Data
Moss
Hypercube
Tumble VR
Until Dawn: Rush for Blood
To the Top
TItanic VR

Raw Data is great and lots of fun, the sale price is more than worth it (full price is a bit too steep).
SuperHot is downright amazing.
If you have PS Plus you should have Rush of Blood. If not, it's pretty nice, and can give you some great scares.

There's demos of Raw Data, Moss, Hypercube, Tumble and Rush of Blood in the store, most of them within the PS VR Demo collections:
https://store.playstation.com/es-es/product/EP9000-CUSA06853_00-PSVRDEMODISCDIG1
https://store.playstation.com/es-es/product/EP9000-CUSA09159_00-PSVRDEMODISC0002

VR for me feels like a more significant leap than PS3 -> PS4; that's what they're referring to. Whether it's technically next gen or not is about as relevant as the Wii U being technically a generation ahead of PS3.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I got pretty good at it. One thing is to keep the left-hand vertical, and next get used to using the x button to "push" yourself away instead of trying to point the move back over your shoulder, or otherwise reach too far. Nice, controlled range of movement. Push, and pull. Push, and pull.

It never gets as accurate as a stick, but it can get to where it feels totally natural and you forget about it.
awesome thanks

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can use one of the face buttons in your off hand to move backwards. You dont have to do the awkward over the shoulder thing with the move.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
VR is so new there's some crossover, but in a few years there will be very few VR games that you can also play on a TV (and probably vice versa). It's a whole new thing, it needs games to be made especially for it.
I kinda disagree and hope you're wrong there. I'm sure there will be games that are VR only, and games that are flat screen only, but ideally the bulk of the main releases that usually come out will include flat screen and VR modes similar to how RE7 (or Skyrim/Borderlands) works. At least be short to medium term.

It's better money for publishers due to bigger market so more intriguing to AAA developers, and it can work well. Otherwise I see a much slower take-up of VR hardware/software. Hell if this is implemented in the newer game engines then it's a no brainer....

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes Dirt Rally is excellent. Ten dollars right now. Full game. Plays great. Tons of options. I had been enjoying it on a flat screen recently, but playing in vr is obviously better.

In fact, several games play better. All the driving games of course. Resident evil is scarier and better. Astrobot doesn't have a tv version but jumping and judging space in there is noticeably more reliable than other 3d platformers. I should try doom.
This game is difficult. I keep rolling thr car over and over. Lol

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

Well put it this way, you can put someone in something like AirCar which is merely a free tech demo and they'd almost certainly be more mindblown than flying around in Star Citizen. Simple things become incredible. Complex things become even more incredible. The sheer scale of Star Citizen is impressive for sure; a monstrous project. But it's still just a linear step up, whereas VR rewrites the rules. (I personally can't wait for Star Citizen's VR support FYI)

Traditional gaming will mostly follow a linear progression path from now on. Very little will been seen as revolutionary.

VR will follow an exponential path in not just one area, but in every aspect of the technology: resolution, field of view, audio, tracking, usability, input, haptics, and software quality. Every genre of gaming is going to be revolutionized several times over in the next 20 years, and this is because of VR and to a lesser extent AR.

While this is longer term, we're likely entering a future where most people will forego their TVs and monitors for VR/AR in the upcoming decades.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Well put it this way, you can put someone in something like AirCar which is merely a free tech demo and they'd almost certainly be more mindblown than flying around in Star Citizen. Simple things become incredible. Complex things become even more incredible. The sheer scale of Star Citizen is impressive for sure; a monstrous project. But it's still just a linear step up, whereas VR rewrites the rules. (I personally can't wait for Star Citizen's VR support FYI)

Traditional gaming will mostly follow a linear progression path from now on. Very little will been seen as revolutionary.

VR will follow an exponential path in not just one area, but in every aspect of the technology: resolution, field of view, audio, tracking, usability, input, haptics, and software quality. Every genre of gaming is going to be revolutionized several times over in the next 20 years, and this is because of VR and to a lesser extent AR.

While this is longer term, we're likely entering a future where most people will forego their TVs and monitors for VR/AR in the upcoming decades.
Nobody doubts that VR won't get better and better and be more fun than TV. What I'm saying is that TV won't be overtaken or replaced because there form factor is superior in a lot of scenarios. People like to multitask while watching TV. It's a shared experience in a way that VR will never be. If you have a dozen people over to watch a game, it's just never happening that everyone is bringing a headset. TVs are getting way more immersive too which is another point. If my TV is the size of my whole wall do I really need a head set?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Something else I wanted to mention. I received the PS Aim controller for Christmas and while I haven't yet used it in gameplay, just on it's own it feels somewhat uncomfortable and kind of cheap. I'm sure it works fine but it seems like it could have been better designed and molded to fit in the hands or something. The main trigger itself seems narrow to the point where pressing it repeatedly might become uncomfortable after a while.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Nobody doubts that VR won't get better and better and be more fun than TV. What I'm saying is that TV won't be overtaken or replaced because there form factor is superior in a lot of scenarios. People like to multitask while watching TV. It's a shared experience in a way that VR will never be. If you have a dozen people over to watch a game, it's just never happening that everyone is bringing a headset.
A TV allows a glasses-free experience that can be shared with others without glasses, but that's where the advantages end. It makes sense that VR/AR would explode just as much if not more than smartphones, so it's not hard to imagine a future where everyone is wearing these glasses all the time anyway, and then it just becomes a matter of whether you want to wear it VS having a TV for a glasses-free experience. Don't get me wrong, TVs will still have their place, but many people will be using glasses instead. (an evolution of the 'headset' design)

TVs are getting way more immersive too which is another point. If my TV is the size of my whole wall do I really need a head set?
A TV the size of your wall is really dependent on your space. VR doesn't rely on any space requirements for simulating TVs. You could just have a 1000 inch screen that with good enough resolution, would be exactly the same thing as owning a real IMAX theater and you could do this on the toilet or inside a closet.

As for immersion, sure a TV can still be immersive, but if you have an IMAX environment in VR, you control everything all the time. The lighting from the screen can fade to a complete black or pop with vibrant colors no matter the time of day, and it cuts off reality completely letting you focus on the screen. Plus you could have virtual avatars of your friends across the world all in one place as if it was no different than a real house party.

Now if we're talking the immersion of using a TV for gaming vs using VR for actual VR games, there is a fundamental difference here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

To me, VR does feel like a next generation. I've had it for a month, now. I suppose I had a combination of a good imagination and a decent understanding of what it actually does, because I only spent one evening being impressed by demos and light games. The day after, I wanted real games.

And they were there. So I got a $250 system home, and it's got a bunch of games to buy. Its got new games that can only be played on this system, it's got old games that play better than ever. And one genre after another is getting spoiled by this next-gen system: Racing games. First person shooters. Horror games. Immersive RPGs. And even platformers.

Immersion is only half of it. The games just play better: You get depth perception, high refresh, an incredible new camera control I tipping your head, and situational awareness like never before. Even in the basic, cheap form of psvr, it's got big advantages both as an input and an output.

Of course, this is all before we even talk about the option of having a rudimentary body presence by tracking your head as well as your hands. This can make an old horse like Skyrim feel like a new game, or a basic social space like rec room into an experience like you have never imagined.

Compared to a bigger TV? Or better graphics? I'll call VR my next gen.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
a.People like to multitask while watching TV.

b.If my TV is the size of my whole wall do I really need a head set?

a. Headsets will have cameras in the future, so you would see in the room like you do with TV.

b. Yes you will need a headset. Unless your room is a motor ball and you are inside it. A wall is not enough

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
To me, VR does feel like a next generation. I've had it for a month, now. I suppose I had a combination of a good imagination and a decent understanding of what it actually does, because I only spent one evening being impressed by demos and light games. The day after, I wanted real games.

And they were there. So I got a $250 system home, and it's got a bunch of games to buy. Its got new games that can only be played on this system, it's got old games that play better than ever. And one genre after another is getting spoiled by this next-gen system: Racing games. First person shooters. Horror games. Immersive RPGs. And even platformers.

Immersion is only half of it. The games just play better: You get depth perception, high refresh, an incredible new camera control I tipping your head, and situational awareness like never before. Even in the basic, cheap form of psvr, it's got big advantages both as an input and an output.

Of course, this is all before we even talk about the option of having a rudimentary body presence by tracking your head as well as your hands. This can make an old horse like Skyrim feel like a new game, or a basic social space like rec room into an experience like you have never imagined.

Compared to a bigger TV? Or better graphics? I'll call VR my next gen.
Good comment. VR as "my next gen" makes sense, because for many it is. For others, it will just be whatever graphics can be pushed in 4K on a TV. Both will give a feeling of something new and better. It's going to be interesting to see what AAA titles get VR treatment next gen, especially if they go VR exclusive.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Good comment. VR as "my next gen" makes sense, because for many it is. For others, it will just be whatever graphics can be pushed in 4K on a TV. Both will give a feeling of something new and better. It's going to be interesting to see what AAA titles get VR treatment next gen, especially if they go VR exclusive.
CoD and Battlefield and most FPS franchises will probably go VR exclusive, so that'll be interesting. This would be right at the end of the next generation though.

We still have AAA VR games to look forward to this generation at least. Valve's 3 games could tip the scales.

Oct 25, 2017
It really is a different step up.

Got my cousin who's not a gamer to try it yesterday. Now he's contemplating buying a PS4 and PSVR specifically cause of Astrobot and Beat Saber. Beat Saber in particular had him super hyped.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
It really is a different step up.

Got my cousin who's not a gamer to try it yesterday. Now he's contemplating buying a PS4 and PSVR specifically cause of Astrobot and Beat Saber. Beat Saber in particular had him super hyped.

Beat saber is the obvious "show family and friends" game in addition to astro bot.
I'm having 4-5 friends over on friday since the wife is out of town with the kids and we're planing to play VR all night :)

Youngest of us is 38!
I haven't done a "gaming party" in like 20 years.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
TVs are getting way more immersive too which is another point. If my TV is the size of my whole wall do I really need a head set?

This sounds like someone who's never tried VR. It's not just a big screen on your eyes. It puts you in a virtual space in three dimensions.

I'd urge you to try it out before being so dismissive.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
My family is leaving tomorrow but I think 2 people are buying psvr after trying it, 1 for sure. It's really shocked the hell out of my family. It was amazing to see it, like showing them a videogame for the first time, and several of them are gamers.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
VR exclusive ?
Lol...

Hopefully these games will have a well made VR mode next gen.
Multiplayer-focused FPS games can't really afford to do an FPS mode because it creates too much chaos for balance. You could have a separate playlist only for VR users, but I highly doubt that this will be common somehow.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
My family is leaving tomorrow but I think 2 people are buying psvr after trying it, 1 for sure. It's really shocked the hell out of my family. It was amazing to see it, like showing them a videogame for the first time, and several of them are gamers.
I recently had a person buy one after praising Astrobot. He has a gaming PC and One X but got a Pro and PSVR for it. He plans on getting a Vive too.

He was amazed and surprised there is so much content for it since he never hears about games for it.