• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
One thing that is useful if you're around people is that you can go into the settings to activate a function that reroutes the sounds in your enviroment through the microphone in the headset to your headphones. Basically, if someone speaks to you the sound is mixed into the soundtrack of the game leaving you less cut off from your surroundings.
That's pretty great! Good to know.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
So should I always be in the outline that the game has before starting? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to stand with moves? Job simulator demo for example asked me to stand but I didn't want to. So am I messing the tracking and camera up?

You're only going to get the camera to cover a box that is so big around you. You can briefly reach out of that box though, and it will keep tracking. the headset will do a better job of maintaining tracking than the moves. I tip the camera different ways for different games depending on where they'll have me reaching.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Above is better, especially with moves.

When it's below, if you hold your hands out on front of you, you're likely to cover up the headset tracking lights with the move lights and it will all get confused.

Best spot for the camera is above you, pointed down.
Really, I could have sworn the setup instructions actually tell you to position below tv. I also have no way of securing it above my tv unless I tape it lol

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Fucking awesome that you jumped in, Phantom! We PSVR buddies now! *awkward fistbump due to having VR glasses on*

Now join the PSVR discussion thread where we're commenting about the ridiculously huge sale that's going on right now on PSN.

I tried a PSVR demo once, and the game they gave me was that EVE space shooter spin off.

What the fuck? It would take me a good five minutes to think of a worse game to show to anyone. :S Did this friend have any reason to be interested in you not getting into VR?

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My experience was identical. Everything down to being pissed off with setting the thing up. But that wonderful moment when Astro Bot starts up. Oh wow. Astro Bot is simply the most wowed I've been by a game visually since the PS1 era. It's a real special game that should getting way more representation in GOTY awards. It's the most important game of 2018.

It demo's really well to non-Gamers too.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you ever liked the idea of Sonic, but not really the implementation or felt it was missing something that always kept it behind Mario GET SPRINT VECTOR IMMDIATELY!

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Loved mine when I got it at launch but I just can't deal with all the wires so when and if they make a wireless one in a few years I'll jump back in. Was able to sell mine 3 months after launch for launch cost which was nice.

Mar 29, 2018
Enjoy, I'm jealous of all of you as I've now tried twice and something with my eyes or brain causes me extreme discomfort for days after playing VR to where it's not physically something I can deal with to even try to get used to it. What I have played is awesome and it just makes me sad thinking about it
The technology will only get better and better in ways we can't imagine. Maybe come back in 3 years?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
If you ever liked the idea of Sonic, but not really the implementation or felt it was missing something that always kept it behind Mario GET SPRINT VECTOR IMMDIATELY!
Sprint Vector is good stuff. I'd love to see a sequel set in an open world where you can meet up with people and challenge them to races, and just parkour all over a cityscape.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This was at a mall lol. I was returning home from work and just went to the station with the shortest line.

"with the shortest line" that figures. :D

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but download Rec Room ASAP, it's entirely free and has a ton of stuff and games, from bowling to laser tag to battle royale to medieval quests to... plus the ability to create your own rooms. I've played it more than pretty much everything else besides Astrobot.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Really, I could have sworn the setup instructions actually tell you to position below tv. I also have no way of securing it above my tv unless I tape it lol

Usually below the tv fine, but PSVR communities I frequent have found that above is better when you factor moves into the equation.

You can't attach the camera to the top of your TV? The base can be curled to fit on it usually.

Either way, before you play next time use the option that allows you to see what your camera sees and make sure you have the best range of movement above, below and to the sides.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
If you've been keeping up with the PS+ downloads, you should have RIGS, Starblood Arena, Bound, Rush of Bood and maybe a few others ready for VR.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only wish Capcom would just trust the players and port Resident Evil 2 to PSVR. Third person VR is GREAT!

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Glad you are enjoying it. It is truly the most next generation part of this generation by a mile.
Sure, there are huge improvement to come yet, from ease of use, comfort, visual fidelity, tracking and controls: this is the equivalent of the 8 bit era for VR, so things will really get better and better, but already blows minds.
Today my brother in law, who i bought psv with to share the expenses, used PSVR for the first time. The joy, his reactions, after playing one Astrobot level, the wipeout demo, and the Resident Evil demo , you know that this is the next big step.
My hope is that Sony pushes first party AA games like Astrobot, and along some Indies also making games for VR they can keep the content flowing.
And hopefully Nintendo joins the boat too. Maybe could reach and agreement with Sony and publish a few small games for psvr since they don't seem to have the tech yet.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It's fairly easy to set up. I think most people who moan about setup basically pack everything back in the box when they're not using it. Which might make sense if you have toddlers or cord eating pets in your home, but is totally unnecessary otherwise.
The only thing i hide is the headset itself, the little box once installed doesn't need to be removed, unless lack of space is a thing
I only wish Capcom would just trust the players and port Resident Evil 2 to PSVR. Third person VR is GREAT!
Yes third person is awesome in VR. In fact it surprised me more than first person (which i can't stand in normal gaming), maybe because controls with standard dualshock are easier. I wish i could enjoy every 3rd person game in VR even if it wasn't designed with that in mind like Astrobot

Last edited:

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
"with the shortest line" that figures. :D

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but download Rec Room ASAP, it's entirely free and has a ton of stuff and games, from bowling to laser tag to battle royale to medieval quests to... plus the ability to create your own rooms. I've played it more than pretty much everything else besides Astrobot.
It's entirely weird to see Welltall Zero actually make a good recommendation.

Laser Tag in RR is genuinely great. I'm actually ducking and weaving between shots. So fun.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I can never get enough of lttp VR posts, OP.
Thanks for taking the time to write yours up.
And have a Merry Christmas!

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if we'll get Astro Bot 2 this gen or if they'll save that for PS5 and PSVR2. Thinking they'll save it so PSVR2 has a killer app on day 1.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I secretly got one for X-Mas. Can't wait to try it out. I have VR Worlds, Astrobot and Moss. Any other good kid friendly games?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying Astrobot, accounting+ is fucking weird (never watched any Rick & Morty), Moss demo was great ( getting the full game), and haven't started Creed yet but it looks like a good workout. I already had Rez, Tetris effect and RE7 (have yet to try this one).

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just tried farpoint. It's on sale for like $8.

I'm playing on a ps4 vanilla and with the ds4. I really like it so far. Its a slow, generic, sci fi fps. The graphics are great and so is the movement. It seems like it can be played literally bwith zero turning so the levels are tunnel-like. But i flipped on the smooth turning and it feels both familar and new.

Familar fps controller stuff + new motion tracked rifle. Hip fire and aim down sights are a mstter of posture. There's a decent area you can sweep left to right before the tracking falls off. The stories boring so far. But no big. After a slowish start, im trekking down the wide paths and shooting bugs.

Extra mention for graphics. The tunnel design surely pays off here. Looks as good as wipeout and astrobot.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, my last gift for myself:

Tetris Effect, Beat Saber, or Super Hot?

Think there will be another sale? None of these have a discount right now on psn

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Same exact boat as you. Let's see what VR peeps say.
So SuperHot VR is definitely the most "be in VR" experience out there. It's the one that makes you feel the most cool, but it has its flaws, among them being its length and relative lack of playability.

Beat Saber is great fun, but like music games like Guitar Hero you have to see how much mileage you'll get out of it. You can tire out of the concept easily or it might be the most replayable VR game you have.

For your consideration, please please please try To the Top.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
My essential list so far (after 2 months with PSVR):
VR Worlds (Shark dive and London Heist are a great starting point but not really worth it after trying more fleshed out experiences)
Beat Saber
Astro Bot
Resident Evil 7
Batman Arkham VR
Super Hot VR
Rush VR
Wipeout Collection
Statik

Notable mentions:
The American Dream
Sparc
Rush of Blood
Space Pirate Trainer
Rigs

I haven't tried anything bad yet, except maybe some of the free download stuff.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Welp, maybe the first time I have said Whoa in a long time. And that was just being in the beat saver title screen lol. Played a few levels of beat saber and a level of Astro bot demo. My god. This is awesome.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna wait a couple of decades before I jump in personally. Let it grow into SAO tier stuff first