• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Is Skyrim not DS4 compatible? If not I will avoid, yeah. I don't have Move yet.

Skyrim works fine with a ds4. It's even better with the moves, though, so get those too down the line.

Think I have some gift cards I might use to pick one up.

Bordelands/beat saber + move bundle (maybe buy astrobot separately) or the astrobot/moss bundle and find love controllers later?

Want to play on Xmas with my brother in laws so thinking beat saber might be best....
Or the super hot bundle? Dammit too many options?!

Go for the moves. You should be able to get both Astro bot and Moss relatively cheap, but the moves are rather costly.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Totally in agreement with the OP. Got my psvr this week. It's just amazing. Have astro bot, a whole bunch of the free experiences and demos, plus tetris and best saber not yet downloaded but have paid for.

However all my 'concerns' about why VR will struggle to hit truly mass market still remain - it's a faff to get out and put away (I have toddlers so leaving it out is not an option) and if my wife is hanging around I simply can't just shut myself off in the headset and blank her entirely. It is also generally just a bit weird being so cut off from the rest of the world.

None of that detracts from the awesomeness of the experience and how much fun I'm having but for me it'll be an occasional (but very worthwhile) supplement to the normal, not the new normal.

If ps5 and psvr 2 have wireless vr at a reasonable cost, I'm very interested.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I have had mine for over a year now and I use it more now than during the honeymoon period! I am very impressed with the continual output of quality games for the platform. It's definitely not a kinect situation.

More games need to be converted to VR, like Skyrim, Fallout and Borderlands 2, as that's the full experiences the mainstream look for. But there are some really great indie/AA games around.

For those looking to play at Christmas I can't recommend Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes enough - it's asymmetrical couch coop, so the headset wearer is defusing a bomb and the viewers have the manual on the screen. it's great fun trying to explain the bomb and work out how to defuse it! it's also on sale in the EU/Oz store. special mention for I Expect You To Die, which is a James Bond style escape room game, also very good and funny.

Lastly, to all new owners, in addition to the demo "discs" there is a tonne of free stuff on the store, especially the playroom VR,so make sure you scan through the free content and try it all out!

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still testing out my new PSVR, and every new game blows my mind. Yesterday I fired up Astrobot and I had such a blast.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I picked up my psvr bundle last night and I played random games and experiences for a good 5-6 hours straight. This isn't my first time with VR, but it's the first time I've been able to play for an extended period of time. VR is incredible.

I don't have Astro Bot yet, but I played the Playroom level and holy shit was it amazing. I was sold immediately. I'm not even into platformers really, but I loved every bit of that. Also played Thumper, Beat Saber, and some of the PSVR Worlds content. All amazing. Just need Tetris Effect and a few other games to go on sale and I'll be set for a while.

And Dreams was already one of my most anticipated games, but now I'm even more excited for the full release.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Be sure and download The Last Guardian VR demo, it's free and amazing to see ICO's work from the VR perspective.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have Astro Bot yet, but I played the Playroom level and holy shit was it amazing. I was sold immediately. I'm not even into platformers really, but I loved every bit of that.

Keep in mind Astro Bot was released two years later and has a lot more work put into it. The playroom level was essentially a free early proof-of-concept demo. You're in for a real treat when you pick it up!

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Grats! VR is awesome. Now also use your PSVR with apps like Littlstar.

Only thing I will never understand is that people think that setting the thing up is a hassle. The whole thing has one cable more than your standard console and is way smaller. As soon as you set the box up you are good to go. Takes 2 minutes at most lol People act like it's witchcraft, even though it's a stupid box which just has HDMI in and HDMI out including USB which goes into your console.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Have fun :)

My recommendation list :

- Astro Bot
- Wipeout Omega Collection
- Beat Saber
- The Persistence
- Rez Infinite
- Tetris Effect
- Moss
- Firewall (with Aim Gun)
- Skyrim VR
- Superhot
- Farpoint (with Aim Gun)
- Sprint Vector
- Resi 7
- Statik
- Thumper
- Polybius
- Doom VFR
- Raw Data
- Batman Arkham VR
- Until Dawn - Rush of Blood
- Dirt Rally VR
- Accounting +
- Space Pirate Trainer

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Pick up some cheap Moves and enjoy some of the full-body experiences. Games like Beat Saber, Sprint Vector, Space Pirate Trainer, etc are the best for showcasing VR as the revolution it truly is.

Oct 28, 2017
My experience was identical. Everything down to being pissed off with setting the thing up. But that wonderful moment when Astro Bot starts up. Oh wow. Astro Bot is simply the most wowed I've been by a game visually since the PS1 era. It's a real special game that should getting way more representation in GOTY awards. It's the most important game of 2018.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I am going to start from the beginning here, because the starting is actually me being super annoyed, and I like bitching. But holy fucking shit this is the most annoying thing ever to set up. It took me forever to get the whole tangle with the wires and the breakout box sorted (and I don't even want to look at the back of my entertainment center anymore, I'm pretty sure NASA server rooms in the 1960s didn't look as messy). Then came the next part where I had to put the headset on, and... my head is too big for it? The stupid thing wouldn't go on. Finally figured it out after some fiddling, and then I turned it on.

and again, i can´t see where this is annoying to set up...there is even an manual for complete idiots describing with pictures where the cables go, the system is literally plug and play and set up time is around 5 minutes from unboxing to playing.

this segment is just hyperbole and comparing it with NASA servers is ridiculous. if this is "the most annoying thing ever to set up" i would suggest to never even think about building an IKEA shelf because this must be rocket science to you. from all VR headsets PSVR is the one which is the easiest to set up.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I enjoy the mixture of people saying 'I had a horrible time setting it up' and people saying 'I'm angry at people that dared to have a horrible time setting it up'.

My PSVR is sitting waiting for Christmas Day. Any recommendations for new users how to have a less bad time?

I should at least make sure I have a spare plug socket.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I enjoy the mixture of people saying 'I had a horrible time setting it up' and people saying 'I'm angry at people that dared to have a horrible time setting it up'.

My PSVR is sitting waiting for Christmas Day. Any recommendations for new users how to have a less bad time?

Took me less than 15 mintues to setup. All the cords are labeled by numbers and there's a big diagram showing where everything goes.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish I had the money to afford one :/

At the same time I get sick when I look at my phone while the bus is moving, so I dont know if it is a good idea...

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

It's fairly easy to set up. I think most people who moan about setup basically pack everything back in the box when they're not using it. Which might make sense if you have toddlers or cord eating pets in your home, but is totally unnecessary otherwise.

Nov 30, 2017
It's fairly easy to set up. I think most people who moan about setup basically pack everything back in the box when they're not using it. Which might make sense if you have toddlers or cord eating pets in your home, but is totally unnecessary otherwise.

Yeah and the charging stands are useful. The headset rests on them while you can charge two moves at once. It uses one USB port.

Also, mine used to get foggy but I use anti fog wipes on mine. These can be bought for a few dollars at almost any store. People that wear glasses usually buy them.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I finally jumped into PSVR today. Vacation has started, so what better time to give it a go, right? So I finally unboxed the headset to see what all this hype was about. And...

PlayStation-VR-920x518.jpg

I am going to start from the beginning here, because the starting is actually me being super annoyed, and I like bitching. But holy fucking shit this is the most annoying thing ever to set up. It took me forever to get the whole tangle with the wires and the breakout box sorted (and I don't even want to look at the back of my entertainment center anymore, I'm pretty sure NASA server rooms in the 1960s didn't look as messy). Then came the next part where I had to put the headset on, and... my head is too big for it? The stupid thing wouldn't go on. Finally figured it out after some fiddling, and then I turned it on.

I have had minimal experience with VR previously. I tried a PSVR demo once, and the game they gave me was that EVE space shooter spin off. I tried it for a few minutes, and moved on. It made no impression on me, and I didn't care. VR as a whole format is something I have respected from the sides, but not really given a shit about myself. The only reason I bought PSVR now at all was because I had heard so many good things about Astro Bot, and I could get the Astro Bot PSVR bundle new for $150 CAD, at which point why not.

Where I am going with this is that, for all purposes, this was basically my first time with VR.

And hoooooooly shit.

Once again, the actual setup took a while, and had some problems, but as soon as that was done, the sense of immersion was total, complete, absolute. I have literally never seen (wrong word? Experienced, maybe?) anything like this. I started up Astro Bot, and yeah, I think the hype is right on that game. I'm really early in, so I won't make any final judgement (plus I'm in a general state of having my mind blown by VR), but I have literally never seen a game designed like it. It's entirely new dimensions thrown in. The whole concept of a game space and how to see and interact with it gets an entirely new meaning. It's unreal.

The best part? I was expecting motion sickness, and while the very first time the camera moves in Astro Bot pulled the rug out from under me (literally), that was it. There has been no sickness and nausea since. It's so insane, especially because I am so susceptible to motion sickness otherwise (even normal first person games make me sick).

But back to VR—I've never, ever seen anything like this. You can't be prepared for it until you slip the headset on and see for yourself. It's an all new mode of game design, it's totally unlike anything else on the market. People who know of my gaming tastes on this forum know that I (generally but not always) eschew traditional AAA experiences, and I like mechanical inventiveness more in my games—one of the reasons I love the Switch and its library so much, for example. PSVR is that, but in an entirely new frontier of gaming, where I find myself in an all new space, all new school of design, where basic mechanics have to be rethought. It's amazing.

The PS5 and Xbox Scarlett will come along, and they will give us the same old, but shinier. And that's fine, I am glad that exists, and there is a place for that in the industry, and I myself enjoy a lot of that. But as far as actual next generation design goes, this is it, and nothing either of those do will compare. Taking off the headset and going back to a flat screen felt positively diminutive.

Final notes:
  • The headset is super comfortable. It's surprising how unobtrusive it is even when you are wearing it (apart from the whole thing where you sensorarily block out the rest of the world, but work with me here)
  • The so called "low resolution" of PSVR doesn't really matter. The sense of immersion is total and absolute, and the games themselves are a delight
  • The stereo earbuds that come with the system are surprisingly... good?
  • Like I said, early days, but I really like Astro Bot. If you have a PSVR, but don't have this already, please get it. I look forward to completing this, and making an LttP to share my impressions when I do
  • I got to hang out with Makoto in VR! That was actually the first thing I did. That alone makes the whole thing worth it.

Awesome stuff OP. VR has always been for me the next evolution of gaming, from 2D to 3D and now VR. Games like Astro Bot will have a big ripple effect on showing what experiences only VR is capable of creating. For WipEout VR I recommend you to disable all confort settings except the one that keeps the cockpit leveled.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
and if my wife is hanging around I simply can't just shut myself off in the headset and blank her entirely..
I wouldn't be surprised if PSVR2 had some mixed reality features to let you overlay real life into VR seamlessly. Oculus Quest already does this (locked internally for Oculus), and Sony have expressed interest in something like this.

That way you could see your wife at all times no matter where you are in VR.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This is what makes the tech so exciting, and a point that's handwaved too often. The sense of presence afforded by VR is next level, the setting is there. Someone else said this after they'd played RE7 in VR and then on TV while examining the car you get out of, "yeah it looks better on the TV, but who cares, the car is flat." And VR has so much room for experimentation, stuff like REZ in VR is pure imagination.

After playing the VR version of RE7, going back to the flat version feels like seeing pictures or video from a place you visited. That's how I would compare the difference in immersion between flat gaming and VR.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
While playing Astrobot [mah gawd, so good], I came to realization that Insomniac needs to create R&C game in VR.

DNice

Oct 2, 2018
I finally jumped into PSVR today. Vacation has started, so what better time to give it a go, right? So I finally unboxed the headset to see what all this hype was about. And...

I have had minimal experience with VR previously. I tried a PSVR demo once, and the game they gave me was that EVE space shooter spin off. I tried it for a few minutes, and moved on. It made no impression on me, and I didn't care. VR as a whole format is something I have respected from the sides, but not really given a shit about myself. The only reason I bought PSVR now at all was because I had heard so many good things about Astro Bot, and I could get the Astro Bot PSVR bundle new for $150 CAD, at which point why not.

Where I am going with this is that, for all purposes, this was basically my first time with VR.

And hoooooooly shit.

Once again, the actual setup took a while, and had some problems, but as soon as that was done, the sense of immersion was total, complete, absolute. I have literally never seen (wrong word? Experienced, maybe?) anything like this. I started up Astro Bot, and yeah, I think the hype is right on that game. I'm really early in, so I won't make any final judgement (plus I'm in a general state of having my mind blown by VR), but I have literally never seen a game designed like it. It's entirely new dimensions thrown in. The whole concept of a game space and how to see and interact with it gets an entirely new meaning. It's unreal.

The best part? I was expecting motion sickness, and while the very first time the camera moves in Astro Bot pulled the rug out from under me (literally), that was it. There has been no sickness and nausea since. It's so insane, especially because I am so susceptible to motion sickness otherwise (even normal first person games make me sick).

But back to VR—I've never, ever seen anything like this. You can't be prepared for it until you slip the headset on and see for yourself. It's an all new mode of game design, it's totally unlike anything else on the market. People who know of my gaming tastes on this forum know that I (generally but not always) eschew traditional AAA experiences, and I like mechanical inventiveness more in my games—one of the reasons I love the Switch and its library so much, for example. PSVR is that, but in an entirely new frontier of gaming, where I find myself in an all new space, all new school of design, where basic mechanics have to be rethought. It's amazing.

The PS5 and Xbox Scarlett will come along, and they will give us the same old, but shinier. And that's fine, I am glad that exists, and there is a place for that in the industry, and I myself enjoy a lot of that. But as far as actual next generation design goes, this is it, and nothing either of those do will compare. Taking off the headset and going back to a flat screen felt positively diminutive.

Final notes:
  • The headset is super comfortable. It's surprising how unobtrusive it is even when you are wearing it (apart from the whole thing where you sensorarily block out the rest of the world, but work with me here)
  • The so called "low resolution" of PSVR doesn't really matter. The sense of immersion is total and absolute, and the games themselves are a delight
  • The stereo earbuds that come with the system are surprisingly... good?
  • Like I said, early days, but I really like Astro Bot. If you have a PSVR, but don't have this already, please get it. I look forward to completing this, and making an LttP to share my impressions when I do
  • I got to hang out with Makoto in VR! That was actually the first thing I did. That alone makes the whole thing worth it.
I love reading these accounts, VR revitalized gaming for me especially Astrobot. Glad you enjoyed it. You have to try it fully appreciate why people get so excited by the possibilities it presents.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was not convinced by PSVR at all, but I got to try an Oculus with the rift controller things and that was amazing. Beat Saber was super fun. Resolution did make a big difference to me.

Honestly PlayStation need to makemsplit hand motion controls the standard from now on, so that it works with PSVR and normal games. Constantly having to buy extra accessories is a pain.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Can't disagree with the OP. Astrobot feels like a giant step forward. Odyssey is basically perfection of what is known, Astrobot is a surprisingly confident step forward into the unknown.

Setting up PSVR the first time is absolutely a pain in the ass, no idea why people are pretending otherwise. Subsequent set ups are much easier though since it isn't as immediately confusing with the 4 HDMI cords. I can set up pretty quick now, but it's definitely something to learn.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I've had PSVR since late 2016 and I wouldn't quite be as effusive in my praise. Granted I've played the demo for AstroBot VR, and I haven't started my copy of the full game yet, but Playroom VR made a good first impression too.

The system has one standout title in each genre, maybe less (I've yet to play a compelling racing experience), but I don't think the hardware is there yet. The headset tracking is great, but I've found everything else to be too temperamental. The smoothest experiences have been with the DS4, but in most games (AstroBot not included) it reduces the interaction with the world from VR to what I would consider 'surround sound 3D'.

The Move controllers provide more of that VR sensation, grabbing things in 3D space, but the controllers are limited (no movement sticks), and again the tracking leaves a lot to be desired.

The AIM controller has been a pretty good compromise between the two. Playing a game like Firewall: Zero Hour has been the most fun I've had in a multiplayer shooter this console generation. There's a sense of interaction with the environment as you lift your gun around objects it will otherwise collide with, or use quick gestures to signal the direction of an enemy. Still tracking can be an issue, and interaction is limited to things you can do with a gun, but it has been an experience that changes the way you play as opposed to just adding another dimension to what you see.

I think VR next gen, with hardware built with its requirements in mind, will be the true generational leap. But it is still a lot of fun until then.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
if my wife is hanging around I simply can't just shut myself off in the headset and blank her entirely. It is also generally just a bit weird being so cut off from the rest of the world.
Yeah, this is one of the biggest concerns for me. I find even using headphones weird enough, and I find it bizarre that people play voice chat games with their partner next to them.

It will probably take some getting used to for both of us, and maybe she can tap me on the leg or something when she needs my attention. Any tips on playing VR with your partner or family around?

Does the social view show in all games? Can I turn off the TV?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
It will probably take some getting used to for both of us, and maybe she can tap me on the leg or something when she needs my attention. Any tips on playing VR with your partner or family around?

You can turn off the TV and speaking with others is no problem when the sound is not to loud.

And putting the headset on the forehead took a short moment.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is one of the biggest concerns for me. I find even using headphones weird enough, and I find it bizarre that people play voice chat games with their partner next to them.

One thing that is useful if you're around people is that you can go into the settings to activate a function that reroutes the sounds in your enviroment through the microphone in the headset to your headphones. Basically, if someone speaks to you the sound is mixed into the soundtrack of the game leaving you less cut off from your surroundings.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Another great thread and read. Several of my friends and family have VR but I haven't jumped in myself yet. Simply put, I was waiting for more games and better deals. But this thread and all the countless positive Astrobot impressions have got me so damn close to considering it.

Astro Bot alone is worth the price of entry.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Another great thread and read. Several of my friends and family have VR but I haven't jumped in myself yet. Simply put, I was waiting for more games and better deals. But this thread and all the countless positive Astrobot impressions have got me so damn close to considering it.

If ever there was a system seller it is Astrobot and RE7. Go for it!

Alcohog

Apr 18, 2018
I have one sitting in a box awaiting setup on Christmas Eve. Can't wait til those little bastards go to bed huehuehue

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had my PSVR for a week now. Still love it but I bought moves as well, and I don't really love them.

The lack of a stick makes controls just so awkward and they also seem to have some tracking issues.

I tried playing Rez with them and shit was fucked

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I

... I have literally never seen a game designed like it. It's entirely new dimensions thrown in. The whole concept of a game space and how to see and interact with it gets an entirely new meaning. It's unreal.

...Taking off the headset and going back to a flat screen felt positively diminutive...

Welcome. NOW WHAT SAY YOU TO MEGAMAN 12 IN VR!?!?!?!?!

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Had my PSVR for a week now. Still love it but I bought moves as well, and I don't really love them.

The lack of a stick makes controls just so awkward and they also seem to have some tracking issues.

I tried playing Rez with them and shit was fucked

Try out Superhot, Beat saber, Rush of blood and Space pirate trainer. They are more designed around the move controllers, and are all really fun games!

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I love my PSVR, just wish I wasn't a day one adopter. Fucked by Sony not having HDR pass through on the initial release. I use my PSVR less than I should because I need to set it up every time.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try out Superhot, Beat saber, Rush of blood and Space pirate trainer. They are more designed around the move controllers, and are all really fun games!
I have Rush of Blood, it's pretty fun but it's on rails so I get bored after 30 mins. Raw Data demo shooting felt good but the movement....I just cant. I need smooth movement not teleportation and quick camera turns.

Idk, maybe something is setup wrong on my end. I don't feel like the tracking is as good as the ds4. Playing Statik, it truly felt like my arms and ds4 were the box. Haven't had the feeling yet with the moves.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I have Rush of Blood, it's pretty fun but it's on rails so I get bored after 30 mins. Raw Data demo shooting felt good but the movement....I just cant. I need smooth movement not teleportation and quick camera turns.

Idk, maybe something is setup wrong on my end. I don't feel like the tracking is as good as the ds4. Playing Statik, it truly felt like my arms and ds4 were the box. Haven't had the feeling yet with the moves.

There are also free movement and free turn options in Raw Data but it took a bit practice, like with Skyrim VR move controls.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So should I always be in the outline that the game has before starting? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to stand with moves? Job simulator demo for example asked me to stand but I didn't want to. So am I messing the tracking and camera up?