• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have any VR vets tried Astrobot? I don't doubt the game is quality but most of the impressions I've read are from people who have only recently discovered VR with it

Discovering VR is pretty magical on its own, so I wanna know how much is the game vs the new experience

I bought PSVR Day 1 -- had it pre-ordered. Astrobot is by far the most compelling game on the system. Just everything works perfect. It's charming, fun, looks amazing, and when you get to the unlockable levels - challenging.

Oct 29, 2017
Obligatory "Welcome to the family son" :)

First things first, go to r/PSVR the community there is pretty solid and will help with any questions you have.

Skyrim, if you've got the motion controllers then make sure the second you control your character to walk you pause it and change all the settings because the standard set up (teleportation) Is horrible and once you've spent 10 minutes adjusting it you're in for the ride of your life.

Battlefront 1 is really cheap at the moment and it's worth it just for the VR level, it's only 18 minutes long but you'll play it multiple times.

Thumper is incredible.

Download the latest digital demo disc (the physical with your machine is always out of date)

Download VR room it's fantastic free fun.

If at any single point you feel woozy or a headache coming on, take the headset off instantly and have a cup of tea and relax for a bit, never ever try and push through as you won't get your VR legs that way and just make yourself bad and have a terrible experience.

Edit: Rez.. don't forget Rez.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Astro Bot
Moss
Tetris Effect
Rez (Area X)
Super Hyper Cube
Resident Evil 7
Beat Saber
Farpoint

Those are the must play PSVR titles IMO.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
OP you should have put that money towards a double bed, you've got your priorities wrong.

That aside, I really should get a PSVR again. I sold mind last year because I never really touched it, just too much hassle to set up each time with all the wires and lack of HDR passthrough (V1), and a complete eye sore in the living room.

But in the last year a load of great games have come out for it. I've been trying to hold out for PS5/PSVR2 but all these Astro Bot impressions mean I might just take the plunge again now.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Am I the only person on earth that reacted poorly to Moss from first impressions? I hate the storybook, especially the clumsy page turning mechanic. It feels like terrible padding and too much bloat for a world I'm not yet invested in. The 'reach into the screen' controls work poorly for me and my partner. The narration is annoying, and stomps over my ability to absorb the world. The environments are filled with things I can't interact with and weird invisible walls. I've played for less than half an hour and haven't returned to it, in favour of other games and demos.

Is the start of the game a decent impression of what is to come? The graphics are nice but it's not one of my favourite VR things. I was surprised because I'm very into puzzle platformers and cute characters.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Wheres Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Counter Strike or even a VR Splinter Cell or Hitman?
They cost somewhere between 10-100x more than an 'expensive' made-for VR game costs today.

Hopefully we see some more made for VR games in the future as opposed to 2D games with VR patched in.
If you just want specific popular IPs - then you'll have to settle for cross-titles or conversions (see above). But I mean - there's so much made-for-VR content out already that is fantastic, and not having the burden of existing IPs, far more creative than anything 'AAA' generally puts out in the first place.

Take 'Persistence' for example (which you should really play if you haven't already) - yes it's obviously taking cues from things like Dead-Space, but no big name publisher would ever let an already niche genre like survival horror be coupled with rogue-like mechanics AND exclusively put it in a market as small as VR of all places.

But yea see must-plays list just a few posts above + add these:

Dino Frontier
Statik
The Persistence
Racket Fury
Sprint Vector

Which of these need Move controllers?
Only Beat Saber.
Although Farpoint is by far the best if you play it with the actual Gun controller - it elevates the game way above other controllers.

Do you mean Rec Room?
I think he meant VR Play-Room, the one that introduced Astro Bots to VR, and comes with a bunch of asymmetric multiplayer party-games (VR player + 1-4 TV players can play together).

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Rec Room is the one thing that truly caught me off guard. I felt like i was really trapped in a gym with a bunch of kids it was crazy. I've felt presence in several games now but it comes in various degrees, and rec room is surprisingly the most potent.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Do you mean Rec Room?

It doesn't get much love around here but it's a really great VR experience. I like the "battle Royale" game within it because everyone is so mild and polite, it's like a game of tag.
Rec Room wouldn't work for me. I just got a bunch of errors some time after it made an account. Tried rebooting and eventually deleted it. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Finally got considerably motion sick. Skyrim, no FOV shrinker, trying desperately to harvest a clam underwater while the stupid current kept pushing me away.

It's cool to play Skyrim in VR, but it's definitely got some problems. Namely not being able to see what I'm aiming at, interaction wise, unless I've got a sword, staff, arrow, or the like in my hand. Speaking of arrows, I think the draw back on bows requires a little too much pull. I found myself frequently hitting my chest trying to fire off shots.

Also, I'm wondering what the point was in creating my character. Is there any event in which you actually see your body, not just the hands? Besides race and skin tone, the rest seems superfluous.

OP
OP
disgraciau

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Finally got considerably motion sick. Skyrim, no FOV shrinker, trying desperately to harvest a clam underwater while the stupid current kept pushing me away.

It's cool to play Skyrim in VR, but it's definitely got some problems. Namely not being able to see what I'm aiming at, interaction wise, unless I've got a sword, staff, arrow, or the like in my hand. Speaking of arrows, I think the draw back on bows requires a little too much pull. I found myself frequently hitting my chest trying to fire off shots.

Also, I'm wondering what the point was in creating my character. Is there any event in which you actually see your body, not just the hands? Besides race and skin tone, the rest seems superfluous.

One question: is Skyrim flat included with VR or you have to pay again if you want the flat version?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only person on earth that reacted poorly to Moss from first impressions? I hate the storybook, especially the clumsy page turning mechanic. It feels like terrible padding and too much bloat for a world I'm not yet invested in. The 'reach into the screen' controls work poorly for me and my partner. The narration is annoying, and stomps over my ability to absorb the world. The environments are filled with things I can't interact with and weird invisible walls. I've played for less than half an hour and haven't returned to it, in favour of other games and demos.

Is the start of the game a decent impression of what is to come? The graphics are nice but it's not one of my favourite VR things. I was surprised because I'm very into puzzle platformers and cute characters.
I thought the game was charming and well executed myself but what you describe as annoying will continue throughout the game. The motion tracking is the only thing that really annoyed me. It feels like it tracks fine horizontally but the depth tracking just does not work at all. There isn't much page turning in the game but a little between each chapter.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I thought the game was charming and well executed myself but what you describe as annoying will continue throughout the game. The motion tracking is the only thing that really annoyed me. It feels like it tracks fine horizontally but the depth tracking just does not work at all. There isn't much page turning in the game but a little between each chapter.
Yeah, the depth tracking is horrible.

I think I just need to temper my expectations with Moss. It's definitely a visual showcase first then a game second.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I just finished Moss and i really loved every single second of it. It is a simple game but VR makes it awesome, being inside the game is incredible, like being in a fairy tale.
Quill is really cute too.
Only drawbacks would be the not always good dualshock tracking for the reader's actions, being a bit too short, and not a problem for me, but not being fully localized is a pity, since my 7yo daughters still only understand very basic English so can't enjoy the 'tale' part of the game.
Can't wait for next book, hopefully, like Astrobot with more variety and more interactivity.
But i think it is necessary to nail the basics instead of trying to do everything in these first steps in VR. In fact just with relatively simple games like Astrobot or Moss you can already feel how this is like being 10 years old and discovering videogames for the first time.
I spend all day thinking of so many games that could have a new life if done in VR, even without changing gameplay. For example, imagine a Final fantasy tactics, or advance wars or Field Commander like game with stages like the ones found in Moss.

Next stop for me, once my second move controller arrives, Beat Saber and Batman Vr.
Still on the fence with Superhot

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
So, I started up AstroBot for the first time and despite all the hype, I was almost instantly sold on it. When the little dude ran past me and stopped to wave... Fuck me, it's good.

Also, the biggest scare so far. I did the deep sea dive in PS Worlds and when the shark swam past over the diving cage, I turned my head to follow him and felt something touch the top of my head. I remembered that there was a lamp hanging from the ceiling here and that's what I felt, but for a couple of seconds I was ready to die. :D

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
So, I started up AstroBot for the first time and despite all the hype, I was almost instantly sold on it. When the little dude ran past me and stopped to wave... Fuck me, it's good.

Also, the biggest scare so far. I did the deep sea dive in PS Worlds and when the shark swam past over the diving cage, I turned my head to follow him and felt something touch the top of my head. I remembered that there was a lamp hanging from the ceiling here and that's what I felt, but for a couple of seconds I was ready to die. :D

My biggest scare so far was re7 where spoiler:thing jumps through window, and i was waaaaay caught off gaurd. I tried to jump back but i was actually sitting on a big cushy couch so i was trapped for a second.

Last edited:

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Rec Room is the one thing that truly caught me off guard. I felt like i was really trapped in a gym with a bunch of kids it was crazy. I've felt presence in several games now but it comes in various degrees, and rec room is surprisingly the most potent.

I agree. I've played a lot of VR horror games, but the most legit shook I've been in VR was in Rec Room. Was hanging around in one of the chillout areas when a really young girl who had been quietly humming and talking to herself as kids do, teleported over, picked up the draw tool, drew a noose then mimicked hanging herself with it making choking sounds. I was just completely knocked for six, I had to take the headset off and go out for a while.

Nov 30, 2017
I agree. I've played a lot of VR horror games, but the most legit shook I've been in VR was in Rec Room. Was hanging around in one of the chillout areas when a really young girl who had been quietly humming and talking to herself as kids do, teleported over, picked up the draw tool, drew a noose then mimicked hanging herself with it making choking sounds. I was just completely knocked for six, I had to take the headset off and go out for a while.

WTF..

I thought rec room was kid friendly

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I'm loving these afro bot threads. I wonder how many units it must sell to be consider a success by Sony. 500k, 1m? Hopefully more big devs follow suit. Imo Sony have effectively transferred the support they would have been giving the Vita if they didn't abandon it to psvr. Good decision imo.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'm loving these afro bot threads. I wonder how many units it must sell to be consider a success by Sony. 500k, 1m? Hopefully more big devs follow suit. Imo Sony have effectively transferred the support they would have been giving the Vita if they didn't abandon it to psvr. Good decision imo.

I want this, is it the sequel? :D

I think sony is happy just with the talk this game is garning for PSVR regardless of how many it actually sells.
It's a success in imho in demonstrating what is possible and will probably inspire a lot of other games for VR in the future.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I want this, is it the sequel? :D

I think sony is happy just with the talk this game is garning for PSVR regardless of how many it actually sells.
It's a success in imho in demonstrating what is possible and will probably inspire a lot of other games for VR in the future.
It will probably inspire Nintendo for their VR attempt either on a Switch Pro or the Switch 2. That would be good but it would be sad if it doesn't inspire Sony to double for a PSVR 2 on the PS5 it would be sad.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to play your own music in the background while doing Super Hot endless runs on PSVR? Because listening to action movie soundtracks etc rather than the monotone droning you get from the game really takes it up to the next level.

Nov 30, 2017
It will probably inspire Nintendo for their VR attempt either on a Switch Pro or the Switch 2. That would be good but it would be sad if it doesn't inspire Sony to double for a PSVR 2 on the PS5 it would be sad.

I hope so. I wanna see Ninty and MS get in on VR. More players equal more sales and guarantee its future.

I'm sure they both will but I see it gaining in strength anyway. That price drop for PSVR helped a ton. PCVR is still expensive. Less if you already have the PC obviously but expensive.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
oh-snap.gif

Oct 29, 2017
Do you mean Rec Room?

It doesn't get much love around here but it's a really great VR experience. I like the "battle Royale" game within it because everyone is so mild and polite, it's like a game of tag.
REC room is ok yeah, I mainly meant VR room? I'm sure it's called that with the Robot Rescue and other little games on with those cute robots.

Oct 29, 2017
LMFAO that's amazing, sounds like one my kids.. we got dark sense of humour in this house.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is my first LTTP, so don't get too hard on me please.

I know, you've probably seen threads like this thousands of times, but I needed to share this.

So, I was really really struggling with getting or not the PSVR Mega Pack when I saw it for only 230 € during Christmas sale on Amazon. Finally I gave up and purchased it. Yup, I'm weak.

DvbDd2oWoAAykFP.jpg:large

So, this massive box arrived home and when I opened it I was like: Jesus, what is all this mess? I'll just show you this pic from the Quick Installation Guide:

ndicegscd0.jpg

So. Many. Stuff.

Anyway, I managed to install everything without getting my desk too much saturated. My room is this one:

img_20181228_1335271lfod.jpg

(yeah yeah, i have to make the bed, sorry about that)

Turned everything on, put my headset, adjusted it to see everything crisp and clean and...

First let's talk about Cinematic Mode. I like it, pretty good. Medium size is the sweet spot for me, gives you the feeling of being in a cinema. Image quality is pretty OK, tried it with Red Dead Redemption 2 in first person mode and it was a pretty interesting experience. It didn't blow up my mind but it was interesting anyway.

The earbuds included with the package are surprisingly excellent: very good audio quality and it's really great how you can install them in the headset without annoying you while playing.

And then I tried... you guessed it, Astro Bot.

Jesus Christ

JESUS. PUMPKIN. CHRIST!

My mind was blown. I was like "how on Earth i am playing this in my little room for a reasonable price?", it was SO inmersive, and it was fun to play. Being able to watch EVERYTHING that surrounded me was... undescriptable. Being able to lean looking for hidden spots where this cute little robots could be hidden yelling for help.

You can be sure as hell that I will always remember the day I tried for the first time the Virtual Reality at home. I will remember it like the first time I played Dragon Ball Final Bout (yeah, not a great game to start, heh) on a PlayStation when I was barely 8 or 9 years old.

But my VR experience didn't stop there (and keeps going on): Played Wipeout.

WOW! The cockpit mode was something else. Jesus, so so SO immersive, and God, I almost got motion sickness but I got used to the speed after a couple of laps.

I wonder how's going to be the future of VR. I hope the future technology manages to reduce the stuff needed for making it work. Oculus Go is a good step forward, but that's like an independent console, so it's not a valid option for me.

I still have pending to download and try Skyrim VR and DOOM VFR, but I don't know why I don't see them attractive. Maybe because I already played them on PC?

And I still need to try 3D Blu-Ray movies. I was going to try to rent Avatar but the store was closed, so maybe I'll try it again tomorrow.

So, in a few words: I LOVE PSVR, i hate all the stuff needed to make it work. Cinematic Mode is interesting, Astro Bot is MIND BLOWN, Wipeout VR is MIND BLOWN. Didn't try DOOM VFR and Skyrim VR yet. Didn't try to watch a 3D movie yet.

By the way, the headset is pretty light and comfortable, so it's not annoying wearing it during long play sessions, which is pretty awesome. I don't have MOVE controllers yet and I don't know if I should get them (in my local store the pair cost 80 €, pretty expensive for me). You guys think worth it in a small room like mine?

And now if you excuse me, I'm going to save more cute robots and beat spaceships in races at ultra-high speed.

I just posted in the Astrobot ot. Game is everything ppl mentioned and more. Welcome to the VR world, glad you weren't dissuaded from the few that aren't into it and the others tht never even tried it but have an opinion.

The future is super bright with Sony pushing VR indeed!!!!

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
if you like horror and sci-fi or both i would recommend The Persistence. takes a little bit to get into the groove but it is a well done game with lots of atmosphere and tools to use. definitely one of the most complete traditional feeling games on PSVR

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Is it possible to play your own music in the background while doing Super Hot endless runs on PSVR? Because listening to action movie soundtracks etc rather than the monotone droning you get from the game really takes it up to the next level.
You could use an analog sound mixer that takes feeds from your PSVR Breakout box/ headset and sound source of your choice. And then mute the in-game music to get the desired results.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
You could use an analog sound mixer that takes feeds from your PSVR Breakout box/ headset and sound source of your choice. And then mute the in-game music to get the desired results.
Or use Spotify. Although I'm kinda thinking that using your own music off tempo and off beat may actually make the game more difficult...

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Just played through Robot Rescue with my partner. I was the co-op companion. Some nice ideas but mostly I'm glad they dropped the co-op for Astro Bot.

Astro Bot gets better and better. I'm going to have to pace myself, and resist rescuing everyone on the first play through. I need an excuse to circle back around and complete them all.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Someone mentioned earlier that Doom 3 would work well in VR. I just watch a few vids to jog my memory. Wow, yeah, probably would. The visuals aren't very demanding and the pace seems slower and more horror.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Really tempted to dive in right now - can get the Mega Pack for £210 which is a great price. I've also played a level of Astro Bot and thought it was great, and was surprised at how good the hardware is as I have previously used a Vive for a few hours. Just dunno if I can part with the cash!