• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty great, and there is a pretty impressive back catalogue to dig into when you're done with the games you already have.

Which could take a while. Have fun!

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup this was my experience trying it a few days ago. First game I tried was gt sport. Loading up into a race and being able to look all around the cockpit of the car was something else. It's so hard to describe the feeling. You really have to experience it for yourself.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
My 12 year old played Astro Bot for the first time last night. When I was getting it ready he didn't seem too thrilled since he doesn't really like platformers anymore, he was asking me if there are any shooting games and stuff. When I got the headset on him and game started, he shut up about that stuff and immediately fell in love with Astro Bot. Love watching his reactions to stuff in the game.

Thinking about getting an Aim controller. Also want Move controllers, but $100, ugh. I've seen used ones at Gamestop, is it worth the risk getting used ones from them?

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
In Cinema Mode you can play your own media files, right?

I don't have a PSVR but I do have a Gear VR and one of my favorite things to use it for before i scratched my phone screen was Cinema Mode.

Here's why: 3D movies looks AMAZING.

You can watch SBS rips of 3D blurays and the 3D works even better than it does with 3D glasses! The picture is also brighter.

Some favorites for their fantastic depth effects:

Hugo
Creature From The Black Lagoon
Jurassic Park (phenomenal post-processing 3D)
Life of Pi
Cave of Forgotten Dreams

Now I don't know how comfortable it would be with PSVR but my favorite thing to do would be to get all snuggled up in bed with my head on the pillow, staring up into the headset watching a 3D movie in the Void theater stoned out of my mind.

I enjoyed Force Awakens 3D as well. Found the '3dness' better in the headset than on my TV( albeit the resolution was a little lower) and of course, watching it on a huge 'virtual' screen for that theatre effect. I wish they'd go a step further and give us some background scenery, I always find the infinite blackness around the screen a bit unsettling.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Honestly, I'm nervous about starting Astro Bot. I've been trying to temper my expectations, but I'm worried it's going to let me down. Played the level that's similar on the Play Room VR though. How close is that to Astro Bot proper?

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
My 12 year old played Astro Bot for the first time last night. When I was getting it ready he didn't seem too thrilled since he doesn't really like platformers anymore, he was asking me if there are any shooting games and stuff. When I got the headset on him and game started, he shut up about that stuff and immediately fell in love with Astro Bot. Love watching his reactions to stuff in the game.

Thinking about getting an Aim controller. Also want Move controllers, but $100, ugh. I've seen used ones at Gamestop, is it worth the risk getting used ones from them?
The risk with getting used move controllers is that you won't know how old they are and if they actually hold charge. Some of the old ones are as good as garbage because they don't hold any charge regardless of how long you try to charge them. Aim controller was pretty damn amazing in Farpoint and it absolutely made the entire experience for me, but supported games for it are limited last I remember. Glad your 12 year old enjoyed Astro Bot! It's magic I tell ya.

Honestly, I'm nervous about starting Astro Bot. I've been trying to temper my expectations, but I'm worried it's going to let me down. Played the level that's similar on the Play Room VR though. How close is that to Astro Bot proper?
Try to ignore everything you read on it and just go in without zero expectations. I don't see how Astro Bot in VR can let anyone down.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I doubt there's anything wrong with used ones. I recently found my move controllers that haven't been turned on since 2012 and they worked perfectly after charging them. Oh and I have a five year old brother who would play/throw them around with no issues.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
PSVR is absolutely fantastic. For the best experience have a PS4 Pro and a PS4 Flight Stick / PS4 Steering Wheel.
Ironically, this has been the source of my disappointment with it so far.

I got a G27 before the PSVR, reading up for some VR racing later on. I even made that adapter to make it work on PS4. Now fast forward to today and my options are a demo (GTS), a game that doesn't quite play well with wheels (Driveclub) and Dirt Rally. The flight sim situation is almost exactly the same with two demos (AC7 and Eve) and Ultrawings.

Seriously, the two genres for killer VR apps are so underrepresented on PSVR it's not even funny.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
No More Heroes has a tabletop interface and two talkative characters in the room with you. I expected to hate their banter, but it works amazingly well. I'd like to see this format expanded upon. Maybe a non-creepy version of Summer Lesson!

Rez HD is amazing, but I'm already a Rez fan.

Fyi, you're talking about No Heroes Allowed, NMH is a different game. I make that mistake all the time too, I wish they had kept the Badman naming. I love it though, it's one of my favorites, up there with Superhot.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I prefer the PSVR headset to Oculus for ergonomics. Plus I can't stand that screen door effect. Hopefully for the next iteration Sony ups the res and designs better motion controllers.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Is Jesus Pumpkin Christ what people who dislike swearing say instead of Jesus Fucking Christ?

Glad you're enjoying VR!

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sonic slippers though....?

I can't support you

Nnw8sWY.gif

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Ironically, this has been the source of my disappointment with it so far.

I got a G27 before the PSVR, reading up for some VR racing later on. I even made that adapter to make it work on PS4. Now fast forward to today and my options are a demo (GTS), a game that doesn't quite play well with wheels (Driveclub) and Dirt Rally. The flight sim situation is almost exactly the same with two demos (AC7 and Eve) and Ultrawings.

Seriously, the two genres for killer VR apps are so underrepresented on PSVR it's not even funny.
I don't know. 2 years in on gen 1 I'd say it's not so bad, but then I disagree with you calling those games demos, and I still use my wheel and HOTAS on non VR games too. How come your wheel does not work well with DCVR?

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome OP, Fantastic you enjoy it. Astro is really defining in many ways. You do need the moves for Skyrim if you want to be fully immersed, The bow/Arrow is such a great feeling, Not to mention wielding a sword. Either way enjoy it and i recommend Farpoint if you want to feel on a different planet Starship troopers style.

And like others have said, Resident Evil 7. Twenty years ago opening a door was a loading screen, Now you'll be opening the door slowly and peeking around the corner.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Fyi, you're talking about No Heroes Allowed, NMH is a different game. I make that mistake all the time too, I wish they had kept the Badman naming. I love it though, it's one of my favorites, up there with Superhot.
Whoops! Yes, I miss stupidly referring to 'Holy Invasion of Privacy'!

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Have any VR vets tried Astrobot? I don't doubt the game is quality but most of the impressions I've read are from people who have only recently discovered VR with it

Discovering VR is pretty magical on its own, so I wanna know how much is the game vs the new experience

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Have any VR vets tried Astrobot? I don't doubt the game is quality but most of the impressions I've read are from people who have only recently discovered VR with it

Discovering VR is pretty magical on its own, so I wanna know how much is the game vs the new experience
For me, it was just really good. It didn't blow my mind or anything, but I still had a great time with it.

Edit: I'm also not completely done with it, so my mind could still be blown.

Last edited:

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Honestly, if Astro Bot were the only VR game I ever played, the price of the PSVR would have been justified. It's that great. Not my first VR experience, either.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017

I've had a VIVE since near release, and Astro Bot was the best overall experience I had in VR. I don't even really like platformer games.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017

I have played pretty much every VR game under the sun and used all the major HMD's extensively since launch almost.
I'd put Astro Bot above any PSVR/Vive/Oculus software in terms of "wow, this is fucking magic and it just makes me happy to play it."
There is a reason word of mouth is spreading fast after people play it for themselves and it is well worth the price of admission imo.

Gomography

Alt-account.
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Get moves and play superhot when you want the next level. Might have to move out furniture.

SUPER HOT.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I've been gaming since the ZX Spectrum days and PSVR is in my top three of gaming experiences since I started.
I know VR gaming gets dragged through the mud most times but I personally hope it's here to stay and I have faith that Sony will ensure it will stick at for PS5.
I absolutely love reading people's experiences with Astrobot and that Sony will be working on dlc.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a new adopter as well. I love PSVR. I bought Ultrawings a couple of days ago because I was a Pilotwings freak and it is fucking amazing. Thumper, Astrobot and Rez are phenomenal as well. I also watched Dr. Strange in 3D last night and holy shit I felt like I was in the movie. It's so much different than cinema 3D.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
I was the same. Went in blind, expecting it to be decent but not the kind of transformative experience like all those other folk have been raving about. And it turned out to be my GOTY. Who knew? :(

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
It's arguably even more impressive if you've been in VR longer - it's so much a technical and creative showpiece for the medium as a whole that it makes a lot of the other stuff that was critically acclaimed before look... ordinary.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I didn't know I could use 3D Blu Ray movies on it. Now I am curious.

Enjoy your VR! In the future try to get a pair of moves to play Super Hot, the instant mind blowing simulator.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

For what is worth Astro Bot is my game of the year and I'm someone that played Spiderman, God of War and Red Dead 2.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017

I had 1 Move controller from the PS3 days and needed another so I picked one up at GameStop for $29.99 used. No issues what so ever.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Move controllers. I say YES, OP. Get them. Because you don't need to keep the cam over your TV and can play VR in pretty much any position, move your camera to the far left corner of the room and face it (so you are diagonal in your room) and you should be fine. Some of the games I have had the most fun with REQUIRE the Moves, like Job Simulator and Beat Saber, so I consider them a mandatory purchase. Just be careful and remember to stay put in your play space (I use the edge of my rug to remind me where my feet are - I can feel it even with shoes on).

Ultrawings is great fun if you like pilotwings, and plays well with a controller or the Moves. Don't pass it up!

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017
I'll say that for Skyrim VR you'll want motion controllers. Doom VFR has a few different control methods.
As for PSVR games to recommend, I'd say Until Dawn: Rush of Blood for a fun haunted house ride where you shoot things, No Heroes Allowed VR for a super charming spin-off of the PSP franchise, RIGS if you don't mind the dead multiplayer is a fun shooter and Zone of the Enders MARS, REZ Infinite as well as Tetris Effect are all great games with VR modes that make them better.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

I purchased the Oculus DK1 back in 2014, I have the Oculus CV1, HTC Vive and the Oculus Go. YES, Astro Bot is that good.

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017
You are getting a superior experience anyway. Don't be jealous. I refuse to buy a PSVR when I already have an Oculus w/ touch controllers as well.
I used to think this way but ultimately PSVR has a lot of exclusives under its belt that are pretty great. Oculus does too (And thanks to ReVIVE so does the whole PC playerbase) but for the most part stuff like NHA VR or Astro Bot can't really be played outside getting a PSVR and I figured $200 for the bundle wasn't an awful deal.
So now I have the best of both worlds.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
How necessary is it to have a Pro? I've become increasingly tempted to pick one of these up.

Depends on how much time you spend in Digital Foundry threads.

Nah but seriously, it's basically the same kinda thing with normal 2D games, if you have been playing normal games on vanilla PS4 with no problem this whole time then you probably wouldnt care about the upgrades from PS4 VR -> PS4 Pro VR... Though the resolution boosts in games like Skyrim and particle-heavy games like REZ Area X is pretty substantial

Also, Move controllers for Skyrim are a must... archery is amazing in the game, even if the pop-in is a bit aggressive

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Yeah VR can be amazing when everything is right and Astrobot is just a really good game! Most of the other stuff I tried were just demos and minigames, but I found the last guardian VR demo really cool. This catdogbird thing just feels completely different here.
I'd also recommend standing in VR if the camera and room let you. The extra bit of movement you get enhances it quite a bit.

OP
OP
disgraciau

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I also highly recommend Bound VR to those that haven't played it yet. Story, animations(dear god), music are all so beautiful in that game. Well worth your time.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
OP, super glad to read your thread. It seems the lower price and bigger library of games is finally convincing more people to try it.

I will be forever thankful that I bought controllers with a pack for like $10 back when the Move was being a failure in the PS3 days. The prices now are insane. That also reminds me that why the hell the Aim Controller is so expensive, I want to play Farpoint with it :(

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The game's very good but factor in that for most people it's their first VR game so it takes also the wow VR factor. If you had VR for the last year you will see that many tricks that astrobot pulls you've seen them in other VR games, its just this one is very complete package and has tons of charm.

If you feel the itch for that kind of adventure I think Moss will probably satisfy your thirst without having to hand out 200 bucks just to play one game.

Agree with this. I'm loving Astro Bot (it's seriously good) but, as a VR owner since the DK1 in 2016... a lot of the VR 'tricks' are pretty par for the course. They're done really well and there's no arguing that they're super effective but it's not some transcendent experience for me. I would say especially if you're coming from room scale VR where turning around and being 360 is the norm.

Not to take anything away from it - it's wonderful. I just imagine it's SUPER DUPER AMAZING wonderful if you're not super experienced with VR.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Gonna have to just try it aren't I. I find it hard to believe it's more wow than Skyrim or super hot but so many people can't be wrong

Was gonna get a psvr for dreams anyhow so may as well go early

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I will be forever thankful that I bought controllers with a pack for like $10 back when the Move was being a failure in the PS3 days. The prices now are insane. That also reminds me that why the hell the Aim Controller is so expensive, I want to play Farpoint with it :(

Same! I bought SEVEN Move controllers! I remember some of them costing me £4 each. How things change.