• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 13, 2020
Pathologic 2 is a very fascinating game. It's tense and satisfying, and the way you interact with NPCs feels very immersive.

Today though, I had quite a miserable experience with the game. I got through Day 8 and it took all morning. The lack of food plus getting infected the day prior caused me to die over and over. And dying in Pathologic 2 means that the game gets progressively harder, which means more deaths, which means that the game gets progressively harder, which means more deaths. I don't know why anyone thought this mechanic was a good idea.

The biggest problems were all those loading screens. I don't know how much of a difference it would have made if I had downloaded the game on the SSD, but getting through a long ass loading screen to then play two minutes and immediately die, to then get another long ass loading screen, over and over again, was fucking miserable. You're not actively encouraged to keep trying again, maybe using different strategies, since every death is so punishing because of the death mechanic and the loading screens.

I get that the game is trying to be punishing, but when the only punishment you get for dying is frustration, then I'd rather play at a lower difficulty.

I guess that getting through Day 8 felt like an accomplishment in the end, but it was not a good time. I have no intention of doing the remaining 4 days the same way. I have lowered the difficulty to basically the lowest settings, and I'm probably not going back to "intended difficulty". I might even have gotten myself into a situation where it's straight up impossible to complete the game at that difficulty, unless I reload a way older save and correct some of my past mistakes (like getting infected in the first place in some story event).

I don't feel bad for turning down the difficulty (there's still a challenge... just a more normal one). There's a lot that I admire about this game and I don't want the frustration to ruin it for me.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This game is amazing. Keep going. There is almost no way to end up in an unwinnable state despite it seemingly like there is.

Dying will happen. Dying is what makes the experience worth it. This is not a game about having a good time. It's a game about learning something and having an experience.

OP
OP
Jun 13, 2020
This game is amazing. Keep going. There is almost no way to end up in an unwinnable state despite it seemingly like there is.

Dying will happen. Dying is what makes the experience worth it. This is not a game about having a good time. It's a game about learning something and having an experience.
But as I said dying over and over just made for a miserable morning. I didn't enjoy a second of it. It's not that I dislike a challenge, it's just not working for me in this game.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
But as I said dying over and over just made for a miserable morning. I didn't enjoy a second of it. It's not that I dislike a challenge, it's just not working for me in this game.
Yeah, that's the thing with this game. It's kinda designed to give you a miserable experience, and by that design it's inherently not gonna be a game for most people. In my case, I persevered through it because it's so radically different from basically every game I've ever played and the story is pretty fantastic. But yeah, if I were you I'd weigh how much I'm willing to endure the hell the game puts you through and if it's all even worth it.

You can also look into the difficulty sliders and modify the shit that doesn't sit well with you, the options are pretty extensive. But I'll just say that the difficulty and misery are integral to what makes this game click as an experience.

EDIT: Oops I skimmed over the part where you said you already tinkered with the difficulty. In that case I'd just suggest you see if the lessened difficulty is enough to make this game worth it for you.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Misery can be a very valuable experience! Especially if you make it through it!

Any choice is right as long as it is willed.

OP
OP
Jun 13, 2020
I finished the game with all the difficulty settings on the lowest values. Honestly it felt right, it was still challenging but not as brutal. I played it on Gamepass (it leaves tomorrow) but once the new storylines release (I have no idea when that will happen) I'll certainly buy it. I would probably play it at the intended difficulty too, since I would probably not repeat the same mistakes I made, but only if I find a way to make the loading times significantly shorter.