• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Maybe it's because I saw it first, but I always thought it was funnier than The Office.

One of my top 3 shows of all time, despite the weaker last seasons. That super strong cast of likable characters is what kept me going. Pawnee is like live-action Springfield, love all the regular citizens we get to see.
That show is a warm blanket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
This is way worse than bad taste. I don't even know what to call it, but it's offensive and I feel attacked.
source.gif

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
It gets better once it stops trying to be The Office, i.e. when Mark BrendanaQUITS leaves.

Jul 4, 2018
Both The Office and Parks and Rec haven't aged well for me personally and going back to watch episodes just doesn't do much for me, I'll probably feel the same way about Brooklyn Nine Nine.

In terms of great live action sitcoms it's hard to beat Malcolm in the Middle (can't wait for it to come to Disney+) I watched a couple of episodes recently and it's ages like fine wine. Also a great sitcom that's ongoing right now is Kim's Convenience, I believe it's on Netflix in most places in the world, I feel it does workplace/family comedy so much better than Parks and The Office.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I had to force myself to finish the Office and suffice to say, when I realized that this was shot like The Office, it turned me off fast.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I absolutely love this show. It's one of the few shows I can watch in repeat forever. It works for me in a way that The Office sort of didn't. I definitely enjoyed TO, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to return to it like I do with P&R.

Then again, I pretty much love all Fremulon shows.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
The existence of Ron Swanson, Jerry and Little Sebastian proves the OP wrong.

Last edited:

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
You're right, it's not that good. And it has Aziz and Louis CK and Chris Pratt in it, so it has aged like shit. I'm glad Amy got such a good gig out of it, though.

Office UK is the only sitcom that uses the mockumentary format that I have ever unreservedly loved.

Parks and Rec felt like the formula was overstaying its welcome and "exhuberant person making people feel awkward" humor had run its course and then some.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Don't like it either. Ron Swanson and whoever Aubrey Plaza's character was called are great - especially together - but I don't really like the rest of the cast at all which obviously kind of ruins a show like this for me.

I much prefer The Office, though I agree with some of the people saying it hasn't aged that well either. But seasons.. Like 2 to 4? Are still very re-watchable. Always Sunny still reigns supreme for me.

As a side note, the amount of "OP is wrong" type of drive-by shitposting is kind of annoying, the cutesy, joke-y ones included. Especially in threads like this where the OP has clearly put some proper thought into their opening post. So someone doesn't like a thing you like, take a deep breath and move on. Good on OP for taking them in stride, though.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
The show fell apart for me after Leslie won the town election. But it was a nice watch up to that point.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like all these shows. The weirdest "hasn't aged well" for me is probably Seinfeld.

The ""jokes"" lampshading how nothing is wrong with being gay – while just previous exclaiming what's wrong with any of them being considered gay to someone – is suuuuper awkward.

The show fell apart for me after Leslie won the town election. But it was a nice watch up to that point.

Funny enough I do too, but I also think the shows pulls up when she's done with it lol

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Parks and Rec is definitely better than the US Office. There is almost as many bad/mediocre Office episodes as there are good ones.

Party Down is obviously better than either of them. As is the UK Office and Extras. I guess the lesson here is quit (or get cancelled) while you're ahead.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow i thought i was the only one too.

Totally agree with you OP

I feel the main problem with Parks is that the cringe seems to try to hard to be cringy, as opposed to the Office where it really feel more natural, organic. I also much more prefer the characters in Office compared to Parks. Andy and Aubray are cute but i feel they didn't evolve at all. Ron is the Boss but other than that, i kind of hated everyone else. Compared to Office where i only hated Andy and that guy who did drug that i forgot his name.

Is Parks and rec funny? Yeah, is it Cringy Funny? Absolutely not. Which is what i wanted from the show. Maybe it's because it was focused on Leslie and i felt like every line she delivered was trying too hard.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe you're complaining about how Gary was treated when everyone in The Office is an asshole to each other all the time.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
The ""jokes"" lampshading how nothing is wrong with being gay – while just previous exclaiming what's wrong with any of them being considered gay to someone – is suuuuper awkward.
Seinfeld hasn't aged well with the gay jokes but it's not even close to being the worst in this category. In Friends they are openly hostile about homosexuals. It's way worse than Seinfeld in this regard.

Oct 25, 2017
It had Bradley Whitford with an actual walk & talk section. It knew what it was.

Damn, we're opposites. I don't find anything in The Office funny, but Parks and Rec regularly gets me laughing. I've gone through it about three times now.

Ditto for me. But having gone through the show in... 2017, I think? every time I hear that jingle now I'm like: "Come back, hopeful future! Come baaaaack, pleeeaaaaase". It's honestly become a source of depression for me, despite all the wonderful sentiments of the show itself.

However, I think people mistakenly took Ron as a 'good Republican' when in reality he's a cynical Anarchist. Republicans don't make people canoes. Ron does.

I wish the show hadn't correctly predicted 2016. I guess we'll always have Scotland.

Though it gets worse when you consider Braindead was an Amazon show in early 2016 about just how dumb the GOP is, and then you got to election night... well.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I love Parks & Rec. Ben Schwartz is fucking amazing.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I can't believe you're complaining about how Gary was treated when everyone in The Office is an asshole to each other all the time.
Their treatment of Gary is one of the funniest things about the show imo. He's such a nice guy and they treat him like shit. It makes no sense at all but it never fails to get a laugh out of me. I love the episode where they find out Gary has an attractive wife and they can't wrap their heads around it.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I admit I didn't like it all that much either, but as far as TV shows go I think it was OK. Better than most comedies anyway.

Edit: I have to add that Lil Sebastian is one of the funniest out of the blue bits in TV history.

Last edited:

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Both The Office and Parks are great, but the former has the higher highs by far. #DinnerParty

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hard disagree.

Giving the current state of American politics way more realistic than some would like to admit.

Season 1 was kind of lame though.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I absolutely hate The Office but I love Parks and Rec lol.

Also hating Ben and Chris should be a crime :s

Last edited:

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like both shows. Both are funny and charming and I was initially meh after an episode. DJ Roomba for life.

This reminds me that I should watch 30 Rock. Thought that was pretty tepid after two episodes so maybe that changes too.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Seasons 2 & 3 are solid, 1 is horrible, the rest are mediocre.

Everything Michael Schur makes is not particularly funny yet inexplicably loved by critics and people on the internet. I'll never understand it. It's like the word overrated was created for him.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Comedy is probably one of the most specific genres of ANYTHING. I found Parks and Rec to be constantly funny from Season 2 to the end.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot respect the premise of this thread. We do not deserve Parks and Rec. At all. It is too good for this world.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing and you should feel bad. It sounds like you took it far far too seriously and missed a lot of the messaging of what those characters you disliked are and represent in the show. It's not like the show was defending them, they're awful intentionally.

Also Leslie is insane, mostly in a good way. But she's insane and it's a reflection of sometimes the neuroticism found in a lot of us. But personified in an extreme way for comedic purposes.

This is similiar to saying you didn't find it's always Sunny in Philadelphia funny because the characters and actions are awful morally.
This is genuinely the funniest scene to me in the entire show. I was genuinely crying. I loved the show, this is up there with IT crowd theater scene in terms of comedy for me.

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Also hating Ben and Chris should be a crime
I'll bring it up with the mod team. :P

If I had a crush on any fictional character it would be Ben. A friend said if my partner and I ever had a child, that's how they would be. I decided to take that as a compliment.

Said partner would rather be Chris.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
So I feel like almost no one here is going to agree with this, but I've been binge watching it over the past month for the first time and it really isn't great.

I guess I enjoyed it well enough, but I didn't even find it particularly funny, I barely laughed during the entirety of watching the series. It's no where near as funny or good as the highs of the The Office with Michael Scott. And unlike Scranton it's like we're supposed to care about Pawnee, Indiana when nearly all the citizens there outside the main cast seem incredibly annoying and awful. Watching Leslie care about Pawnee is sort of like watching Batman trying to save Gotham except Gotham has more redeeming qualities.

The town is incredibly sexist especially with how it deals with Leslie on TV. There's an episode that hasn't aged well at all where it seems like the whole town wants her to resign because of gay penguins. Most of the women in Pawnee are sex crazed. Again, most of the recurring characters are incredibly annoying and/or awful people. Jean-Ralphio. Jean-Ralphio's sister. Jean-Ralphio's father. Bill Dexhart, the councilman always involved in sex scandals. Jeremy Jamm. The Douche. Joan Callemezzo, the TV host. Marcia Langman, the racist and homophobic person with the gay husband. It's really weird how it's made out as a joke how Ron's first ex-wife Tammy who delivered him and was his school teacher also sexually abused him as a kid. The whole town loving Bobby Newport. Literally everyone who appears in the town halls. I could go on.

I mean, I know this stuff isn't meant to be taken too seriously and it's a comedy, but it makes it harder to care about the characters like Leslie who do care about Pawnee. A lot of the time, especially during the final season, she just seems over the top insane.

Among the main cast, even Tom Haverford, who I liked at first, became more and more annoying as the show went on and I just didn't care for him whatsoever by the end. And the bullying of Garry goes too far. Ben was very meh, Chris (Rob Lowe) was annoying more often that not.

On the other hand, for some positives, because it certainly wasn't all bad. Season 3 was the high point for me I think and when I was consistently enjoying the show. I did appreciate how the Leslie vs Bobby Newport kind of predicted parts of the 2016 election. Ron and April were by far the best parts of this show and probably why I stuck with it. We needed a lot more of April, especially in the early seasons. The cameos were great and unexpected, I had no idea John McCain or Joe Biden were going to appear. Maybe best of all, Dutch from Red Dead Redemption.

I just finished watching the finale, and it seems it got a positive reception, but it did not work for me, at all. First, just regarding the final season in general, it's funny how Season 7 was made in 2015 but set in 2017, not knowing what would happen with Trump and having Leslie as assistant secretary at the US Department of Interior. And it's like 2017 was some far off futuristic year, the whole cast has completely transparent futuristic phones and tablets that are no where close to being a thing today. But for the finale specifically, the jumping around in time just came out of the blue and I couldn't connect with or care about these events with it feeling so disjointed and also unusually sci-fi.

Anyway, it probably sounds like I hated the series and I really didn't. Ron and April were great. To its credit it never consistently reaches the lows of the later seasons of The Office or Community. But towards the end it really felt like a chore watching, and I'll probably never go back to it again. Maybe it was better fit for weekly viewing than binge watching.

I'll be the one person who agrees with you. You're right.

Parks is over rated and already dated... It's schmaltzy and convenient and rote. It reminds me of How I Met Your Mother and like that show, it just doesn't make me laugh compared to 30 Rock and The Office and Community, each of which hold up much better, imo.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should try rewatching The Office. That show is so bigoted and hateful its kind of shocking.