• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but saves in Ori aren't limited (they might be attached to some resource that's easy to accumulate, can't remember) so there's no risk reward aka RE. It's literally a memory check; clear an area, put a save point down. They should have had "bon fires"; still the challenge of no auto saves, but minus the stupid micro managing.

I definitely had points where I had to decide if I would use the energy I had to save or push a bit farther, particularly when I saved too frequently. There were a few checkpoints outside of that afaik.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
thomasmahler you and your team have all rights to be happy and proud! I play games since the early 80s, and it only rarely happens these days that I can't stop playing, forcing myself to stop to get some sleep.
Now I can't wait for the next one, and I'll dive into it as blind as into this one :) I just had a fantastic time playing it, so thank you very much!

:)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This biggest achievement the game does is imo the game never gets frustrating.
All deaths are mostly your fault, you adapt and learn from it and you move on. The Ginso tree is imo the best example like the OP also said.
It throws everything you learned at you. It can be overwhelming at first, But with every try to got abit further, you learn what the next step is and combined with the instant respawn after you die it never becomes frustrating. But more a event of "i got this, one more try"

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It really is a perfect game. I'm planning on playing the Definitive Edition again before Will of the Wisps comes out, can't wait!

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I'm glad so many of you enjoyed Ori and the Blind Forest! I hope we can make you guys even happier with Ori and the Will of the Wisps :)

It's crazy to me what a lasting effect Blind Forest had. To this day we see things like this one pop up:

The Completionist also just released a video about Blind Forest:

Just makes me happy :D

Hey man, just want to thank the whole studio! You guys created a very special IP, that i hope stays with us for many generations to come!

Can't wait for Will of the Wisps. <3

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Ok,
another lttp I have to get off my chest.

I played through this masterpiece the last week, it took me about 15hrs I think and I absolutely loved it. I had it sitting in my steam library for a while now, but I just don't play on my PC anymore. Thank god I bought an Xbox...

Spoilers ahead!!!

Art
IT LOOKS SO GOOD. It's beautiful, and even with games that are more impressive technically, it's one of my favorites this gen!
And the music!!!

Story
The story was fantastic! I showed my 7 year old son the beginning and he cried when Naru died. He kept asking me every morning what happened last night when I played it. I had to tell him everything.
Even I, a grown "old" man, had a lump in my throat when Ori gave his life (?) in the end, changing Kuros mind. Just wonderful all around.

Gameplay
I played many platformers and metroidvanians the last years. I didn't finish a single one. Ori on the other hand felt fucking perfect. I have no intent to replay it anytime soon to get some of these insane trophies left, but I had a hell of a great time playing it.
The jumping, the challenge, the well timed introduction of new mechanics. All in all perfect for me.
Only the escape sequences were maybe a little too much. Especially the first one felt like hitting a wall with a truck. That's what I call a difficulty spike. The instant respawn made the difference though and I couldn't go to bed until I made it.

I played through it on normal.

Now I can't wait for the sequel! In the meantime: Celeste here I come!

Ori was such a fantastic little gem. Incredibly precise combat and sequences. Beautiful art. Fantastic music.

Really an absolute pleasure to play. The sequel is one of my most anticipated games.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
So I 100% the game today. For someone who rarely ever plays platformers and is nearing 50yrs old did I do good? Haha Just wondering if this game was considered hard, easy or a decent challenge for a platformer.
How is Celeste in comparison of difficulty?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
So I 100% the game today. For someone who rarely ever plays platformers and is nearing 50yrs old did I do good? Haha Just wondering if this game was considered hard, easy or a decent challenge for a platformer.

You will die a whole lot more in Celeste but its more forgiving since you respawn instantly in the same room, but Ori does have some hard parts especially if you were playing on Hard where you die in one hit. The optional stuff in Celeste is really tough.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Celeste is very different. Overall Celeste is a more difficult game, but that difficulty comes with a few caveats:

- The main chapters are tough, but not impossible, and if you could complete Ori's escape sequences without much issue you should be fine
- There is one more chapter at the end of Celeste which is more difficult, but is not necessary to "beat" the game
- Each chapter also has more difficult optional versions, but they're not necessary to "beat" the game either
- Regardless of what you're playing, Celeste has Assist Modes to make the game easier in the ways you want, and the game does not punish you for using them at all. This includes getting all the achievements. Everyone is welcome, no matter your skill level.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Ori is the best game I've played in the Metroidvania genre. Enchanting artstyle, Incredible world design and solid gameplay mechanics.

I'm excited for the sequel, it's my most anticipated game this year.

Last edited:

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Amazing game.

The boss fights were annoying though.

And I hate it, when they release updates as a completely new game you have to buy again.
Same with Guacamelee.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
did they release a different version at first? I didn't really follow this game before getting a Xbox some month ago

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
did they release a different version at first? I didn't really follow this game before getting a Xbox some month ago

Yes there was a normal version then a definitive version.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2016/03/09/ori-blind-forest-definitive-edition-launch-trailer/

Xbox Wire: What are the biggest and best additions to the Definitive Edition?

Mark Coates: So much to tell! We've added a ton of new content in all categories of the game, including new environments, new music, new abilities, new skills, new story elements, and new features.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Since my post above I've put in another 10 hours into Ori and have ALMOST 100% in every area.

I love this game. Ori is such a joy to control and the game is SO BEAUTIFUL.

I'm at the last section now, Mount Huro and I almost don't want this game to end.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Just finished it! Unbelievable game. My favorite moment is probably doing the Ginso tree. And that ending escape was so good. Not sure why it got so much criticism.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I finished it recently too. Solid game but I'm not a fan of the escape sequences and almost RQed the game because of them. They are just frustrating and completely un-fun for me.

I finished it recently too. Solid game but I'm not a fan of the escape sequences and almost RQed the game because of them. They are just frustrating and completely un-fun for me.
Signed. There were so many effects on the screen, sometimes I had trouble seeing, where I am. And the time limit is far too tight, what feels especially unfair when I have to wait for a fitting enemy pattern for the dash ability.
Some stuff you can't even see coming and it means instant death. E.g. the part where the water breaks through the ceiling and boulders falling down felt super trial n error to me.
I still hope they tone that down a bit in the sequel.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I should really replay it at some point, stupidly gorgeous game. Combat is pretty awful though, glad they're addressing it for the sequel.

Nov 1, 2017
I was all about it, taking my time with it, ready to sing its praises from the rooftops and then...

...DO AN UNNECESSARILY PROTRACTED INSTA-KILL ESCAPE SEQUENCE

Dropped it after that, fuck that game.

So i guess you also drop games that have boss fights that aren't a complete pushover and you die to? Bet you must have loved Dark Souls. The escape sequences in Ori, especially the first one, are a test of the skills you have gotten thus far in the game, much like "traditional" boss fights have often been in games since, well, the start of gaming. I know i pimp this guy's content all the time but Mark Brown of Game Maker's Toolkit summed it up beautifully when he talked about the Ginso Tree. You receive the ability Bash which becomes a core part of the gameplay from that point on and after going through the rest of the tree you have to demonstrate that you can use it under pressure. I had trouble with the Ginso Tree at first because i hadn't mastered all the skills i needed up until that point. Now you could sit me in front of Ori at any point having not played it for a while and i would be able to beat the Ginso Tree first time. That knowledge and technical ability then will serve you right through the rest of the game.

The escape sequences in Ori are some of the (many) highlights of the game for me and they are what a good escape sequence should be: Hard, tense and nerve wracking that fills you with elation and relief when you conquer it. As much as Super Metroid is to me pretty much the perfect Metroidvania its escape sequences are sadly far too easy, there's zero tension there. I'm not sure it's supposed to be challenging though, i think it's more just supposed to be a cool set piece.

It's a shift from the game that lets you play at your own pace and it last too long. It's akin to the boss fights in Deus Ex HR how jarring it is.

Aaaaaand then i saw this. Nope. You do not know what you're talking about. DE:HR bosses are nothing like Ori. In Deus Ex you could be playing a true non-lethal stealth style of gameplay and focus all your upgrades on that, then you suddenly get thrown into a boss fight that you had to use combat to overcome (something they fixed in the Director's Cut) which basically screws the player over. That comparison to Ori is so far off the mark that you just lost all credibility.

I'm glad so many of you enjoyed Ori and the Blind Forest! I hope we can make you guys even happier with Ori and the Will of the Wisps :)

Just wanted to say i'm so excited for Ori 2. The first Ori is second only to Super Metroid for me in terms of best Metroidvanias ever which is pretty good going considering how SM is one of the all time greats. Can't wait to see what you guys are cooking up for the sequel!

I've played a build of Will of the Wisps and it improves on Blind Forest in just about every way. Can't wait.

I'm both weirdly jealous of you but also fine with that because i know when i get to play Ori 2 i will not want to stop.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

It's crazy to me what a lasting effect Blind Forest had. To this day we see things like this one pop up:

The Completionist also just released a video about Blind Forest:

Just makes me happy :D

Good luck with it! Ori was the best MV in many years, yes better than HK which I've tried several times to get into and left bored each time. Btw, I can't see why it wouldn't, but I hope Wisps also supports ultrawide on PC. Ori was absolutely beautiful with the ultrawide. And I hope it's on Steam, not just the crappy Win10 Store that I don't trust at all. Can you comment on that?

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting, I found those parts exhilarating and intense. It was a nice change of pace for me, and got the blood pumping.

DarkTom

Nov 9, 2017
I just beat it. It's a good game, sure, but I would not qualify it as very good or amazing.

Art is great but environments are a bit samey. Level design outside of dungeons has nothing oustanding.
And finally gameplay, hitboxes, scripts, frame rate aren't perfectly precise. Those combined can be frustrating sometimes. The last escape sequence was not enjoyable for me. Ginso tree was great though.

It's almost the template of a good game actually. Everything is fine with minor flaws, nothing is amazing. Moon Studios can be proud of themselves and the sequel has the potential to be a classic.

Celeste is incredible by the way. B-sides are too much for me though.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Btw, I can't see why it wouldn't, but I hope Wisps also supports ultrawide on PC. Ori was absolutely beautiful with the ultrawide. And I hope it's on Steam, not just the crappy Win10 Store that I don't trust at all. Can you comment on that?

We're definitely supporting 21:9 right from the get-go and yup, we announced at E3 that we'll also release Will of the Wisps day and date with all the other versions on STEAM :)