• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Ori and Hollow Knight best metroidvanias in recent memory imo.

If Moon Studios can make combat in Will of the Wisps feel as good as the platforming it's going to be incredible.

WoPnwOF.gif

I think they will never have really deep combat in Ori,not because they can't,but because it's not their focus imo. But let's see what they have to offer in the sequel

Oct 25, 2017
I was doing that before then anyway, but I was doing it without being rushed/timed. I get it, it's a literal end of level exam like I'm supposed to be a student passing a test. Not fun. Oh and "It's not even hard wtf"...wow bro, you're so cool.

Dude please dont use the "wow youre so hardcore becuz you said something i find hard ez omg" card please. Im a scrub gamer at best. I cant even finish a souls game without a billion deaths. The section is easy and i hope they retain them in the sequel tbh.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Dude please dont use the "wow youre so hardcore becuz you said something i find hard ez omg" card please. Im a scrub gamer at best. I cant even finish a souls game without a billion deaths. The section is easy and i hope they retain them in the sequel tbh.

Lol. It's your fucking card. Saying something is definitively easy is some limp "get good" rhetoric. I may find things easy that you find difficult and vice versa. This, I found frustrating to the point of not wanting to waste my time.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. It's your fucking card. Saying something is definitively easy is some limp "get good" rhetoric. I may find things easy that you find difficult and vice versa. This, I found frustrating to the point of not wanting to waste my time.

What can I say? Sorry you found something that many others found not as difficult as you did and also in fact to be one of the best sections of the game. If you took what I said as git gud I suggest you stop being so easily offended?

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think the first escape just felt like landing on an aircraft carrier. I didn't expect something that unforgiving, as everything until then was a pretty smooth and easy ride.
But I could figure it out quite fast. I only really struggled in the last one, as the randomness of some parts fucked with me all the time.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya it's a masterpiece. Top 5 this gen easily. Just beat Celeste the other day and thought it was phenomenal also. Still think ori edges it by a little

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also loved the escape sequences. They weren't to hard at all compared to most platformers. They were fun as hell

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
One of the best games of the current generation, and certified indie game royalty. Can't wait for Will of the Wisps.

You can just hold Y and take your time aiming those bashes.

I played most of the game before realising you could hold Y to aim your bashes. I definitely could've spared myself a lot of grief during the Guinso escape if I'd known haha.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Epic Fail OP

No description of the OST?

OST deserves its own selling point. LOL

One of the best I have ever heard.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Can you explain what you mean by this pathetic ad hominem
You attack it for being "unnecessarily protracted" and the pressure that the raising water level puts on the player, and chose to end your original post with "fuck that game". It's one thing to say a game isn't for you, or that you'd appreciate some way to skip the sequence, it's another thing to attack the game because you can't hack it.

You're only inviting "git gud" responses talking about the game that way.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
You attack it for being "unnecessarily protracted" and the pressure that the raising water level puts on the player, and chose to end your original post with "fuck that game". It's one thing to say a game isn't for you, or that you'd appreciate some way to skip the sequence, it's another thing to attack the game because you can't hack it.

You're only inviting "git gud" responses talking about the game that way.

Attack the game? Poor game. It not being for me is implied by my I starting my post with "I". Anyway, there are people in this thread who admit this the escape sequences were a spike in difficulty, and others who have said that once you master them they're easy. Both of those are are criticising the design exactly the same as I am. So is it skill really, or is it perseverance.

Because to you it doesn't matter as long as that person has completed the sequence. I lack the talent to complete it the first time round as I think many others did, but I also lack the time to devote to mastering a sequence of a game that up until that point I was doing pretty well at. They're two very different things that "get good" is not an appropriate response.

If people want to attack my apparent lack of patience because I used some barbed language against an inanimate object then I'm fine with that but I still have no idea where you were going with your first post to me.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I had this sitting in my backlog for ages because I thought it was a decent indie style game I'd get round to at some point.

Can't remember what inspired me to finally get on it but it was stunning. Great soundtrack and movement mechanics, they really should've given the player Bash from the get go though. It's a wonderful mechanic.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wish the other escape sequences were as big of a difficulty spike as the first one. Really hope Ori 2 has some serious challenge for people who beat 1 on hard.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
This and hollow knight both started out on a sower note for me. Both i gave a try and was impressed as hell. It took me selling my graphics card and play on my integrated graphics, to appreciate this game. I looked over this game because i used my GPU at the time for intense graphical shit. Game was pretty damn great. I was kind of thrown off by the people who said this game was hard also.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Attack the game? Poor game. It not being for me is implied by my I starting my post with "I". Anyway, there are people in this thread who admit this the escape sequences were a spike in difficulty, and others who have said that once you master them they're easy. Both of those are are criticising the design exactly the same as I am. So is it skill really, or is it perseverance.

Because to you it doesn't matter as long as that person has completed the sequence. I lack the talent to complete it the first time round as I think many others did, but I also lack the time to devote to mastering a sequence of a game that up until that point I was doing pretty well at. They're two very different things that "get good" is not an appropriate response.

If people want to attack my apparent lack of patience because I used some barbed language against an inanimate object then I'm fine with that but I still have no idea where you were going with your first post to me.
Every element in the escape sequence was already introduced and incorporated into the level design and the player is given ample time to practice each element before the flood is triggered. All the game does is pressure the player to chain together abilities they should already be well practiced in. I fail to see how this is a failure of design in any way, or even that severe of a difficulty spike. Rather, I see it as a boss fight, which is a core element of game design since... forever.

So what is someone who disagrees with your opinion left with as a response besides some permutation of "git gud scrub"?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The Ginso Tree escape might be my favourite segment of any videogame and it was over so quickly so its crazy to hear someone calling it "protracted", especially when every little segment is well designed platforming.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I died maybe a total on every escape sequence combined a total of maybe ~15 times so I never understood that those were too hard.

I do agree on the combat portions not living up to the rest of the game, but the rest of the game was near perfection so it doesn't bring my opinion of the game down too much.

Beyond excited for the sequel.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game on release but just finished it recently and it's one of my favourite games of the gen. Absolutely love the look and the music.

I'm not a super skilled gamer so I did find the escapes challenging but I never found them unfair. When it died it was generally because I did something wrong and although I died probably a few dozen times I would always come back after taking breaks and ultimately it felt so good when I finally completed them.

I will say though the last escape did get frustrating because occasionally things didn't trigger at the correct times and I would have to wait and then I'd die because I took too long.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
One of my favs for sure..

Especially this one for me.

What an incredible track.

Posted in another thread, but getting the final power and this song comes on is top 5 gaming moments for me. It was so beautiful and inspiring. Every part of the game comes together to create this beautiful sense of impending finality. The soaring flute comes in as Ori literally begins soaring. It's so so so perfect and literally gives me goosebumps and makes me smile every time I think of it.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Every element in the escape sequence was already introduced and incorporated into the level design and the player is given ample time to practice each element before the flood is triggered. All the game does is pressure the player to chain together abilities they should already be well practiced in. I fail to see how this is a failure of design in any way, or even that severe of a difficulty spike. Rather, I see it as a boss fight, which is a core element of game design since... forever.

So what is someone who disagrees with your opinion left with as a response besides some permutation of "git gud scrub"?

I sit in the middle of every element being introduced already and the game pressuring you into doing them quickly. I think they're contradictory. Previously, the only time based element were getting through some blocks moving before they crush you. So while you're well versed in every other mechanic up until that point, the time attack nature is a new element the game introduces in that sequence. It expects you to string all those elements in a way that there was no precedence for before.

So that would be a new thing to learn. Only the way it makes you learn it is frustrating, like i mentioned all the way in my first post. It would be fine to make me learn this new element if it wasn't insta-kill and if it was shorter. It's only comparable to a boss fight that suddenly introduces a timer to a game that didn't have one before.

Now that is about as well explained as I can make my position. Maybe now you can explain what the fuck you mean when you tell me to get good, because I'm still waiting for your definition of skill.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I never found the escape sequences to be that hard. The whole game can be quite punishing if you're not concentrated, so it wasn't a huge difference in that regard. I actually got a huge rush from the first one, but the final one did feel a bit cheap at times.

A thoroughly amazing game overall, in its definitive edition.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's a master piece, my Xbox game of the generation and top 3 best games of all time, can't wait to play the sequel soon!

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Posted in another thread, but getting the final power and this song comes on is top 5 gaming moments for me. It was so beautiful and inspiring. Every part of the game comes together to create this beautiful sense of impending finality. The soaring flute comes in as Ori literally begins soaring. It's so so so perfect and literally gives me goosebumps and makes me smile every time I think of it.
Amen!
Perfectly said.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I'm glad so many of you enjoyed Ori and the Blind Forest! I hope we can make you guys even happier with Ori and the Will of the Wisps :)

It's crazy to me what a lasting effect Blind Forest had. To this day we see things like this one pop up:

The Completionist also just released a video about Blind Forest:

Just makes me happy :D

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad so many of you enjoyed Ori and the Blind Forest! I hope we can make you guys even happier with Ori and the Will of the Wisps :)

It's crazy to me what a lasting effect Blind Forest had. To this day we see things like this one pop up:

Y'all deserve the praise. Best of luck on bringing Will of the Wisps through the home stretch!

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

It'd be perfect on Switch đź‘€

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I played this because it was on Xbox Game Pass. It was pretty awesome. I wasn't expecting such a hard game but it was worth it not giving up and mastering the game. I hope the sequel drops on Gamepass as well.

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
One of my favourite games of the generation and one of the best metroidvanias i have ever played, such a special game, can't wait for the sequel.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The save system literally stopped me from playing. No auto saves what the fuck.

The save system is one of the only times saving required any strategy that I can remember in a game outside of like Resident Evil ink ribbons. I like it a lot.
If they have autosaves in the sequel I really hope they're optional.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
The save system is one of the only times saving required any strategy that I can remember in a game outside of like Resident Evil ink ribbons. I like it a lot.
If they have autosaves in the sequel I really hope they're optional.
Maybe, but saves in Ori aren't limited (they might be attached to some resource that's easy to accumulate, can't remember) so there's no risk reward aka RE. It's literally a memory check; clear an area, put a save point down. It's more like the quick save pc save scumming, which should never be the only way to save. They should have had hollow knight benches; still the challenge of no auto saves, but minus the stupid micro managing.